the Rift

Catching Waves [open]

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
The sun beat down hard on the sandy shore, a soft lapping of dreamy blue and white waves rolled up onto the land. Bright rays bounced off a calm sea, creating a spectacle of magnificent colours. Something small and wet rolled behind a gold lobe and trailed past a cheek eventually meeting a point at the chin. The drop fell to the grainy surface, quickly being swallowed by the harsh heat. Worn, cracked hooves sank graciously into the sand. It was warm. Too warm.

Torasin opened his eyes.

He hadn't ventured here for a long time. The stallion rather liked the beach, it was always so calm and serene. It worried him for it to be so warm this early in the morning. Being an early riser he liked to watch the sun wake up and as he did the place had quickly become humid and sticky. Eyes turned upwards to watch Kiba who was playing about in the sand. Torasin found joy in watching the young dragon discover sand and sea, it reminded him of when he too was a young colt. Feeling his companions gaze Kiba took to the sky and returned to the paints side, emitting feelings of excitement. Tor narrowed his eyes mischievously at him and then turned towards the sea. I think we need to cool off he thought to Kiba.

Those same worn hooves twisted into the sand and with a great surge of power Torasin galloped off to the sea, Kiba flying alongside him. Soon they reached the shoreline and Tor plunged into the bright blue water. The stallion felt relief tingle through every bit of his hot body as cool liquid splashed onto his gold and ivory fur. He slowed into a prance and began to flick the water at Kiba. The dragon responded by thrashing his tail over the surface, thoroughly drenching Tor's surprised face. Torasin narrowed his eyes and flicked his hoof through the water, Kiba's agile flight dodged the barage of water the stallion sent his way.

And so, a playful water fight ensued. A once calm shoreline now rattled with the sounds of splashing by both equine and dragon.
[Image: tortablee.png]

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

It was hot. So unbearably hot. The sun gives me energy, but this sun seems to drain it from me. The golden queen stated to bonded. Indeed, though we feel seem to feel it somewhat less than others. The mare responded, but she was equally uncomfortable. They both lingered in the sandy dunes of the Endless Blue, the salt of the sea washing over them. The beach has gotten wider, the sand goes on for longer, the sea seems to be shrinking away from the land. The golden eyed minx observed quietly, concern evident. Suspicion had stirred within her for the reasons behind this particularly harsh season, and she had watched in sadness as drought took a hold of the lands. The Sun God was angered, and she had helped anger him, her hatred for Ra combined with her alliance to the Moon Goddess, mingled with the opportunity to aid her friend in obtaining the herdlands, the Throat, she could not say no to such a prospect.

The sound of frolicking caught her attention. A smile crinkled the edges of her lips as she recognised the aureate hued steed, with a dash of winged bronze nearby. The waves looked refreshing, and with an easy, elegant step, the mare moved forward. No cloak was worn today, no shield or facades, Mirage was as herself as she could be, and her lithe bodice glided easily over the dunes, the golden dragon lifting herself into the skies and gliding towards the waters. Akaith let out a colourful greeting to their friends, happily ducking in and out of the waves with Kiba. Mirage had entered a smooth canter, and sung her own song out in greeting to Torasin. Her fine legs pranced about as she danced along the water’s edge, her neat hooves making great splashes in the shallows. The water was only a few degrees cooler than the air, but something cooler was better than nothing.

“I see you have found an effective means of keeping cool in this unbearable Tallsun.” Lyrics laughed as the mare moved through the waters, her tail swishing in the water, her muzzle dipping as she pushed waves towards the stallion, laughter rumbling about her chest as their dragons flapped and splashed before them.

Deceased
imi
The salt ridden water seeped into both scale and fur, pale mane was plastered to the sides of his neck and a tail hung heavy between the butter like legs. Familiar air drifted around the pair, Torasin turned to see Akaith joining Kiba and Mirage splashing her way in. He closed his eyes as a wave of water sent by the mare splashed onto him, his features lighting up in laughter. "I've been here before and always meant to come back" it was just after he'd fled the invasion and found Evangeline here. It had not been so warm that day.

Kiba cried out in joy as he played with Akaith as Tor watched them fondly before turning back to Mirage. His hoof glazed the top of the now foamy sea surface and flicked it in Mirage's direction. "How are you ma'am on this harsh fiery day?" A simple enough question yet Torasin hadn't seen her since the meeting with Brooke and it made him wonder if she was mad at him. It was always hard to tell with Mirage and Torasin was beginning to struggle to look at her properly. His confession to Brooke that day had made him place the feelings he had for this mare aside, yet his heart could not help but berate him for some form of betrayal. The paint silently scolded himself for being such a pushover and not a real stallion. Only Mirage could release him from this torture.

Liquid flew into one of his golden lobes causing him to shake his head violently. Forlock now plastered over one ear, Torasin turned to Kiba with narrowed eyes.

It was a complicated thing, this relationship she shared with the beloved golden stallion. For some time she was unable to distinguish her feelings between the two stallions that she called her friends, even admitting to herself that she loved them both dearly, a fact that was still true. But the golden one had declared his love, openly and happily to another, and while Mirage could never understand his reasons, she supposed her view was that of an outsider who knew little of the intricacies of the relationship they witnessed, and she would never do anything to sway his mind. It was a decision for him to make, a decision she would have respected, whichever way it rolled. Her own heart hurt, but it was not a true hurt, for it still loved the gilded steed, though her perspective on the situation had shifted, and such events had unfolded that the charred little mare realised they were not meant for each other, at least not in that regard.

Friendship, however, was something Torasin would be unable to lose from this devious little creature. Her love for him and his forever happy façade had bound him to her forevermore, and she longed to express this to him, though she had tried many times by always being there for him in his times of need. Likewise, he had always been present for her, she knew that in some way, he must feel the same. He spoke of being here before, and she nodded, enjoying the waves lapping at her flanks, and even though there was no breeze to cool her, the flapping of the frolicking dragons stirred some air movement and she was able to find a small bit of respite. He continued to speak, his sweet voice always welcome to sound in her svelte lobes. The mare’s golden eyes tracked his motion then, he seemed overcome with an internal shame, and his own emeraldine pools failed to maintain their contact with hers.

She was able to guess what it was he was unsure about, and she stepped closer still to him, tilting her tiara so as to grasp a hold on his gaze and not let it go. Bumping her muzzle against his own, her countenance was warm, forgiving even, most of all wanting to elicit a smile to curve his handsome lips. “I am well, dear friend.” Her own accented lyrics intoned, but she was not done yet. “Though knowing that the first acquaintance I gained upon entering these lands is not troubled by conflicts, whether internal or external, would please me all the more.” It was a roundabout way of asking him how he was, a subtle offering of being a willing ear to listen, or advice-giver, whatever the situation called for. “Torasin, you needn’t be concerned as to whether you might have hurt me, though I’ll admit to never understanding your feelings, my own are unchanged.”

Vocals spoke firmly, her eyes holding the gaze earnestly, hoping to deliver their message clearly. The smile that had faded with her speech lingered still, and grew once more. Curling her nape the mare tossed her tiara slightly, the aureate marking glistening upon her hide in the sunlight. She wondered how far Torasin would read into it, she did not want to hurt the stallion, but she did not want to hide the developments that had occurred between she and Vikram. Even if, by all rights, it was none of his business – Mirage felt that he was a close enough comrade to be privy into it anyway. And yet, her tongue was held still, a curious glint to her eye, as she spoke in hushed tones that which the Moon Goddess herself had spoken. “I have been marked as a dragon, Torasin. I know not what the Goddess meant when she labelled me such…”

Deceased
imi
The water was beginning to loose its cooling effect, but whether it was the suns blistering rays or the internal struggle bearing down on the salt soaked stallion was not known. Too kind of heart for his own good. Too indecisive to help anybody else. Fool. It was something he'd been telling himself over and over recently, his late incompetence to speak honestly of his heart was driving him to regret opening himself up to Mirage when he knew he loved another. At the time it was done out of the thought he'd never see Brooke again and the paint did truly care for the mare. If the other had not returned, Torasin was sure he would have fallen, in spectacular style, for the alluring black mare. The other worry that plagued him now was if Brooke disappeared again. His late fathers words crept up from a long memory...

"Sometimes, Torasin, fate is not kind to all. Even to those who shine brighter than the great stars of the blackened sky"

A colt he had been that day, upset from being bullied by the other young foals of his herd. With a start he realized Mirage had shifted to meet his gaze her soft muzzle touching his, mossy eyes met the tawny ones of hers. He obliged the unasked request and smiled at her reply, widening it at her return inquiry and admittance of not understanding his feelings. To which he himself found ironic, all the while he was wondering what she was feeling, maybe Mirage had been doing the same. His gaze lingered a while whilst he turned over the words she spoke "dear friend". He thought back to the arrival of Rishima, Mirage and Vikram's inside joke. The pieces inside his mind fell into places and Torasin finally came to the conclusion that he was always going to play the 'dear friend'.

And you will be the greatest and most loyal friend to her.

The thought moulded itself into a promise, a sense of relief flooded over him. It was combined with feelings of encouragement sent by Kiba in short intervals during the paints revelation. "I could not lie to you even if I tried. So you should know I will always be a troubled horse, as I know you understand..." A similarity Tor had picked up on when they had first met, the need to disguise histories scars behind an intricate facade. His own one of ignorant bliss and jolly disposition. "But I too am well and do not worry yourself over my feelings. Not even I understand them but... Thank you for being such a kind friend to me, Mirage. I feel that my recent plagued thoughts have put some distance between us, but I promise to be the most loyal friend you will ever have!" His sincere promise was rather out of the blue, he didn't know if she wanted to talk about the past events. So instead, by careful choice of words, he took it upon himself to let Mirage know he understood he was only to be her friend. The typical, beaming Torasin returned.

His eyes zoomed in on a never before seen marking on the side of her neck as she flicked her head, drinking in the gold dragon shape. Brows furrowed as she spoke again, a dragon? His gaze softened again as he shifted his muzzle to gentle graze it, "who can ever really understand the gods. The ones here seem to like doing the extremes..." He chuckled a little at the end. "It is a beautiful mark. You do seem to attract the dragon kind." Even an equine dragon, Vikram's imposing presence made Torasin look like a pony. And the paint wasn't that small. "Kiba too enjoys your visits." It was only natural, Torasin's keen love for the mare and her golden companion had rubbed off on the brown dragon.

It was a simultaneously sad and happy event, their meeting this day after the recent happenings that played with a jagged edged knife at the bond that bound them together as friends. The mare longed to grasp the stallion’s nape and shake the silliness out of him, shake the blindness that love had thrown over his eyes, shake some reason into him. She even found herself wishing the painted mare hadn’t come back, though that was for her own selfish wants – the devious shadow mare had enjoyed the undivided attention bestowed upon her by her friends, she didn’t enjoy sharing limelight with those she saw as less worthy of it. And Brooke, well… it was a dislike, a tolerance for her presence that Mirage suffered for the larger maiden, and her only reasoning to tolerate such ignorance and witlessness was for his sake.

She looked at him, openly longingly, her warm gaze embracing his claims of deep friendship and loyalty –but there was a look there, a yearning for more from him –even if she had a mate whom she loved more than she ever imagined possible. Mirage knew that, despite it all, had this palomino steed requested it of her, she would have borne his children, even now, he needed only to utter the words, to sweep her off to the Grove… But he wasn’t that stallion, and she wasn’t that mare; no, they were unmatched, incompatible when it came to love. Her façade of indifference and his of eternal happiness showed their differences. He was a gentleman, one capable of loving only one other wholly at time, where she was a wandering minx, who welcomed many under the wing of her deep and undying love.

He stroked her marking as she proffered it, and she crept closer to him, leaned into his touch, rubbing her brow against his thick nape, wiping hidden tears against him and the saline sea they were standing in. She embraced him, she loved him for everything he was and everything he wasn’t – she couldn’t help herself. He spoke of dragon’s being attracted to her, and she had to wonder if he already knew of her deep and undeniable love for the bronze steed, or if his words were simply coincidentally close to that which her heart thrummed so loudly in her chest about. “You always have been my greatest friend, Torasin.” She breathed into his mane, uncaring for the intimacy with which she was standing by him, uncaring that if his mate happened upon the beach she would probably be attacked. Vikram knew of her chaotic emotional ties to the painted palomino, though seeing such things would probably hurt him; and she did not want that.

Pulling herself away, a delicate, careful smile was upon her lips, and she felt the waters stir below her; Akaith was diving between their legs, before bursting through the surface to fly over them in an elegant loop, showering them in salty droplets. The golden mare watched her golden friend frolic with the earthly hued lizard, her expression growing all the more warmer and fonder. “Akaith and I have always enjoyed your company, she would be unbearable if I didn’t listen to her constant nagging of see the pair of you again.” Teasing tones joked, though there was a strong truth behind them. It was simple to identify that whatever Akaith wanted, Mirage invariably wanted also; Torasin would surely understand, given his fresh bond with Kiba. “He grows well in your care.” As I knew he would. The charred femme said warmly, observing the healthy young bronze with bright eyes.

Deceased
imi
It just wasn't meant to be. The obsidian femme and he. There was an unseen barrier that had cemented itself between the two hearts, each taken by lovers yet both longed for one another. It was pain and bliss all at once. Maybe in the alternate world Torasin and Mirage would live out their lives happily together, with their own children running around their feet. Driving each other insane as mates seemed to do. Maybe fate had something else for them to do which kept them apart. The paint could not deny his love for Brooke, an odd pairing but she had without question captured his princely heart. Even if the relationship was rocky at the best of times. His devious lover was capable of upping sticks and leaving him in the dust, yet Torasin remained by her side. Idiotic or not time would only tell. He would soon have a new responsibility with the imminent birth soon to pass, little did he know he would have 2 responsibilities as Brooke seemed to have been blessed with.

He embraced her touch happily, taking a much needed comfort from it. Mirage would always be very important to him and the stallion was glad they could have genuine days like this. His heart betrayed him and quickened a touch as she blessed his mane with her breath. Torasin sighed rather guiltily, he was not allowed his touch and was rather glad when she pulled away. If it truly was Vikram whom she had chosen, he did not want to step onto his territory. Torasin was rather weak in the muscle department in comparison and he did consider the dragon horse a dear friend. Ears swivelled and his body rippled as he shook himself from time to time when Kiba and Akaith continued their water fight. After a little while, Kiba had decided to sit on his bonded's rump, seemingly tired of flicking water at anyone who came near. Tor twitched his pale tail up to whack him playfully in the side. Kiba frowned at him in mock outrage.

Torasin inclined his head as she spoke once more, grinning at the two dragons. How did I get by without him... Amused thoughts wondered. Slowly, an intense surge of laughter came over him and Tor looked towards Kiba. What's so funny hmm? Mind speech was beyond them at such a young age, but the brown easily effected the paints moods. Still, he was curious to know what his bonded found so funny. Rolling his eyes, Tor turned back to Mirage.

A beaming smile broke out across his sun kissed face, part of his forelock had been flattened by the sea water with his 'happiness' marker gleaming brilliantly on his thigh. "Hmmm, I promised to look after him but sometimes I think its the other way round" it was true. Whilst Torasin did look after him, Kiba also looked after Tor. It was one of those things he was learning about dragons. Thoughts turned back to Mirage's marking and this time to the Moon Goddess. Torasin knew about the gods, each land seemed to have their own and worshiped them accordingly. The paint never really got to grips with the gods, he honoured each he came by but never worshipped one particular. He's already come to the conclusion that if he was born in Helovia it would be the Sun God who would earn his worship. Thank the lord I wasn't born here then it troubled him that a god would go to the extent of marring the land in such a way. It made him angry but confused. It was also the first time Torasin had decided he should pay attention to the religion of a land. Maybe he should pick a side, instead of sitting on the fence like he normally did. But how do I do that? Puzzled as always, if Torasin ever went down in legend it wouldn't be for his brains.

Mirage seemed to be puzzling over the gods as well. Or maybe one in particular. It was hard to know exactly what she was thinking, "What do you think about them... the Gods of this land? They puzzle me greatly ma'am" his honesty was prominent in his gentleman vocals. He knew Mirage may know more of them than he did, plus she was older and wiser than him.

Was this what torture was? Was this why that damnable emotion, love was to be feared and hated by so many? The little shadow knew of love, at least she thought she did. The only love she had felt in her years previous to this had been to her siblings and parents, and of course to Akaith. But they were different, they were emotions that were never questioned, the reasons for that love were worlds away from the reasons for the love that had blossomed within this realm of magic and mystique. The love she felt here was for the genuineness of these stallions and mares, love for the lands, love for life here, in Helovia. With some surprise, she realised that she would probably see out her dying day here, and she would not be sad for it.

In Mirage's view, their love was not forbidden, not so much as poorly timed, and that it would hurt and effect others annoyed her. But she would continue to love him, just, differently to how her heart originally wanted to. It was content with this, its true capacity for love fulfilled by the bond she had found in Vikram, as well as the collective love she felt for those who had invaded her consciousness in the Qian. Yes, the mare would obey the social restrictions placed upon them, she would express her love for the stallion in ways that left no-one else hurt, though it was one of the most selfless things she would have to endure. To deny a love that could have been… no, it was not worth speculating upon. No more wishing for what could have, should have been.

Soft, gentle, undulating laughter rolled from the belle's mouth, like the waves lapping at the sand, her tones were carefree and light, her tiara nodding in agreement with the stallion. "Indeed, Akaith is as much my guardian as I am hers. The bond is deeper than those outside could ever appreciate unless they have experienced it themselves." Even being bonded, Mirage was still surprised by the deep ties that held her to her beloved dragon. "It's as if she is my mother, sister and daughter at the same time. Sometimes offering guidance, sometimes seeking it, oft' times simply being with me as we make this journey through life together." It was not the first time she had attempted to express the bond in words that might be understood by another.

Fondly she watched the dragons as they played and frolicked, reaching out to brush her muzzle to Kiba's smooth hide, should he allow it, blowing a gentle kiss upon his hide, playfully, tenderly. Akaith sat upon Mirage's withers, combing her wet claws through her bonded's damp mane, chortling all sorts of nonsensical sounds in delightful amusement. The stallion's question of the Gods brought a distant, thoughtful smile to her lips, as she considered how to answer him. "I cannot admit to understanding them any more then you. They are Gods, after all, ethereal entities that work in ever-growing mysterious ways." Honest tones replied, the mare not about to lie about her lack of knowledge regarding the heavenly creatures who could crush them all should they step out of line.

"Everywhere I have travelled, there has always been a balance, an equilibrium, of sorts, keeping a land and its inhabitants, stable, safe. While the Moon's light has always been a guiding figure all my life, I believe in a balance, Torasin. It was a tilting of this balance that threw Isilme into darkness, more than once." A small sigh interrupted the vocalisations of her thoughts. "The Path of the Moon was never a stable home, equines were forced to align themselves with Darkness, or Light, with others unable to choose and so filling the grey in between. The lands succumbed to waste." She was saddened by the memory, but only expressed it minutely before continuing her speech.

"There is no shame in choosing one or the other to worship. If I were to choose, there is little doubt within me that the Moon Goddess would earn my prayers over the others. But I respect the balance, I long to maintain it, to help it stay stable, so that we might continue to live and prosper under the merciful Lords and Lady whom lent their powers to craft such a realm as Helovia." What the mare did not delve into, was the delicate balance of her own emotions, of the volatile nature of her bloodlines, of the dynamic equilibrium that always threatened to tip her over the edge, one way or another.. Torasin had caught glimpses of its effects before, at the Steppe, at Helovia's Heart - even before, when Mirage could not help but embrace him in her loving grip.