the Rift

A Frozen Baby Bird

Freya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Freya
We All Want Something Beautiful.

The filly sniffled. Her shoulders were hunched, and she didn't understand the burning sensation that was spreading through her chest. Later in life, she would probably experience it again, perhaps when a young stallion left with no explanation, or a friend was taken from this world too soon. A broken heart was nothing such a young soul should experience, and was nothing that could be explained to her in words simple enough to understand.

Her nose wrinkled as a small giggle escaped her, eyes twinkling as Ao wiggled in the snow. The aching of her heart began to subside. Her doubts escaped her as her naivety took over. She bounced over, tail wagging quickly behind her. She had never had a playmate before, and if Lakota had raised him, he must have grown to be as kind as her. She scraped the ground with a hoof, ready to leap and tackle the white bear. When Lakota reassured her, and mentioned a foal, she pirouetted, head heigh, ears perked. "Like me?" But confusion contorted her face, lip pouting as she tried to wrap her mind around it. Other foals in her herd had been forbidden from playing with her. She had spent countless afternoons sitting idle as others chased each other and played until the fireflies emerged and the sky went inky black. Lakota seemed so different than her mother. She didn't understand how someone could be so kind. No one had ever disagreed with her mother, and no matter how kind the other mothers were to their children, Freya was always on the receiving end of a criticizing lecture. But even being reprimanded was better than being ignored. "Maybe if we find my mom, you could teach her how to be nicer," she said. "You're very nice." As much as she wanted to find her family, she almost hoped they didn't.

Another voice rang in, surprising the grey babe. She squeaked, a small whinny cut short, and her wings shot open, releasing the smallest flurry of snow around her. She had tried so hard to contain her magic, as she had been punished severely for using it by her father. She scrambled forwards, tripping over gangly legs, diving behind Lakota. She squeezed her eyes shut, shifting back and forth, wings clamped tighter than ever to her sides. Panic consumed her, not knowing what would come next. Slowly she calmed, peeking around Lakota's legs at the new stranger.

"Ao Bear said she's not here. Mother is gone. Maybe he is wrong, but Kota says his nose is good." Her voice was small, barely above a whisper. But she trusted Lakota, and repeated the words she had been told moments before. "Maybe mother will find me. But I do not want to look anymore. I'm tired."

She hid behind the blue mare again, avoiding eye contact. Her words were now directed at the poisoner. "Maybe I can go home with you? I am sorry I used my snow, I promise I won't use it again, honest." Had she angered the gentle mare that had offered her sanctuary? Would she be cast away again? "It was a accident. Please don't be mad."

She crept forward, looking up with chilling blue eyes. When offered the possibility of a meal, something easier than chewing tough roots and dried grasses, she realized how hungry she was. "I am a little hungry."

She was small and fragile, a tiny sparrow in a world of teeth and hunger. Some day, she would understand, but today, she only needed a new beginning, and someone to watch her on her way.

Speech
OOC// Sorry it's not a great post, I'm running out of Threshold muse. Time to get her outta here!
Tagged// @Lakota @Naerys ~

Messages In This Thread
A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 06-28-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 06-29-2015, 01:47 AM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Blu - 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 09-24-2015, 05:44 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Naerys - 10-05-2015, 12:29 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 11-07-2015, 11:15 PM