the Rift

[OPEN] WHO WE ARE

Atlas Posts: 54
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 HH :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Linds

What a beautiful thing to behold, this life, a beautiful thing indeed that appeared to be nothing in comparison to the things I’d seen. I’d seen vast forests with long hanging limbs and snow-capped mountains with narrow valleys. Everything around me was beautiful, but nothing quite struck me as much as-

Well what did matter?

I supposed I was waiting for the right thing or the right woman to ultimately strike my fancy. Of course I’d seen a million ladies with their bay coats and their braided manes. I’d seen blue eyes, green eyes, and brown eyes. I’d seen tattoos and scars, bangles and bracelets… I’d seen it all. But I wanted something more. Yah, yah, I was a man of divine tastes, but what did it matter? I was always looking for love. I didn’t care what woman wore it upon her breast or her sleeve, I only wanted more than I had.

Offer me sensation and I would give you my all. Offer me courtesy and I would make sure you were the Queen of the land I was spiriting. I was a man always looking for more than I had and I needed someone to cure the loneliness I’d been suffering from. I, Atlas of a land too far away to mention, had been missing the warmth of a woman. I had been missing the warmth of someone who cared for me. Call it weakness or deception- I didn’t care. If you wanted a night, then so be it. If you wanted a week, it was something I could provide. But everything else was off limits. Everything inside was guarded and cold.

The shadows of the forest were long and inviting, and for the first time since I’d arrived, I welcomed them and their mystery. Carry me away,I thought to myself. Take me to another place where this feeling would be destroyed. I didn’t want it anymore. I didn’t want any of this. But I was too weak, too battered by the clubs that were life to avoid it any longer.

Helovia was breaking me down.

I needed to not-

-dammit… I couldn’t be alone.

talk talk talk

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

OOC| Spur of the moment post. Open to anyone.

Run towards the stars, or make them shine. Fight the tide, until the day we die.

▌ Please tag Atlas in all replies
▌ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

How Long

How long have we walked now
How long have we strayed?

The wind is low, the cold
continuation of the day.

How long will I stay here?
Will we find our way?

ASHAMIN
BEAUTY IS PERCEPTION

The day wore on and Ashamin wore with it. His tail drooped and his hooves scraped the frosted earth in the wood--the unfamiliar, tangled wood. He knew that he had gotten a little lost, but, well, he didn't think he had gotten this lost.

The shadows loomed like threads and threats, patterning stripes between his spots of white. Occasionally, he bent his features to nose the little egg before him, taking care with it and checking often to make sure it was secure. His steps had begun to falter as he had walked farther--his hing leg had weakened with the long travels in the wrong direction.

Ashamin sighed, looked up, lifted at last his tired, lowered head, and surveyed the woods with his deep black eyes. His tail waved like a banner behind him, tapping the trunks of trees as he traveled between them. "Seems we're lost, 'panion," the buck said quietly into the dark nothing, his brow knitting tightly beneath the black lock and the pitted, twisted horn atop his brow. He exhaled once more, halting his movement and letting the weaker leg shake. It was scarred now in more ways than one.

He took the time still to orient himself, hoping he could find a way back home with his nose alone, but the maze of these woods offered him no direction. Ashamin circled and turned, looking for something he might have missed, hoping he wasn't so alone that he could be offered no instruction as to how he should return.

The blue buckskin of a mare that he had met, and Zahra, they seemed to know so much more about Helovia than he. Would Ashamin ever catch up? He let his tail drop, sliding against a trunk and curling around it, landing dully in the frost. The snow had stopped here but the cold had not--as used as he was to it, he shivered.

And then he saw the other, a unicorn patterned in white patches like himself. Ashamin made a wide circle, trying to better make out the stranger in the dark but struggling to see anything more than glints on the white of their coat. It was only when he came to see the other side of the stranger that he saw the stallion (for it was a stallion, that much was clear) was painted with stars.

To himself, he smiled at the memory of first seeing the aurora above the Basin. Had this stallion seen it, too? Or was he outside of the herd, like the watery mare had been?

Ashamin approached slowly and quietly, just barely poking himself out of the trees before and to the right of the stallion. "It's a good thing I'm not alone out here," Ashamin spoke out into the wood with a quiet smile. How good he was getting at speaking with others--how much he was coming into his own. He bent down, nuzzling the egg in his pouch and then turning his gaze back up to meet the stallion's. His eyes, deep, black, and empty, were filled with a pleasure and confidence no other could see. Ashamin wouldn't have ever admitted he was lost, not before. He wouldn't have ever asked a question. But a little time from home, a lot of time from the image of his grief, was changing him, and fast. And so he spoke, his voice louder now as he drew closer, hid cloven hooves striking the frozen earth unevenly as the one at the back right dragged ever so slightly.

"Are you lost, too?"

[[WHAM BAM TAGGED YOU @[Atlas]. Bad poem is bad.]]
Beauty is Perception by FoxyFireWings
Table by Jen, with help from Avis

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
Tiamat

like the ocean kissed the sky
She had quickly trusted Ashamin, taking his lead back to the Aurora Basin—to home. However, a little while after they had begun their journey together, it became apparent that the kingdom of the great arctic North is not so easily found as one would assume. Unfortunately their path has appeared to not bring them any closer to their destination. All the same, despite her burning eagerness to return to the valley that had adopted her so long ago, Tiamat is not a character to become discouraged so easily. Rather, she keeps her hopes high, sure that she will be guided there in time.

Repressing a sigh, the blue mare shakes her head, the mass of her dark mane dancing against her neck, the shells chiming gently. Pausing a moment in her step, the unicorn presses her blue muzzle to the trunk of a tree. “Hello, family,” she murmurs gently into the rough wood, eyes wandering upward—to the patches of sky that she can glimpse from between the branches, now weighted with snow.

While this part of the woods is particularly dense, dark, and mysterious, Tiamat is not as frightened as most might be—perhaps as frightened as she should be. Oddly enough, she feels comforted being this much surrounded by nature—by her distant relatives of the trees and the earth. It’s almost as though she can feel their energy, their presence, and it is heartening. Closing her eyes, she breathes in the earthy scent, seeing only the beauty in a place where most see fear and carnage.

Caught up in her musings, the ocean blue mare falls a little behind Ashamin—not far enough to lose sight of him completely, but cloven hooves carry her at a slower place as her mind wanders to things she cannot touch. Only when the lanky stallion’s voice drifts from between the dark trunks does she return to the presence of the trees—her relatives. Her ears perking forward curiously, Tiamat quickens her pace to an extended walk, following Ashamin’s trail as it leads her to where the woods thin just slightly. Emerging from behind him, she sees to whom he has spoken—another stallion, taller, and…painted with…stars.

Could it be?

Perhaps she is not the only child of mother sky after all.

Smiling brightly and her white eyes shimmering beneath the twinkling light of the sun, Tiamat steps out from behind Ashamin completely, facing this familial stranger. “Hello!” She greets him cheerfully, the long length of her tail fluttering excitedly over the snowy ground, “I’m Tiamat.” There are so many questions she wants to ask him, eager to explore the possibility that she has found another child of nature, but she is able to restrain herself for now

Ashamin has inquired of him first, after all, and it wouldn’t be considerate to probe him just yet. Even so, her lips are turned upward happily, eagerly.

notes; sorry if it's sloppy, I'm tired P:
tag;
@[Atlas] & @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”
image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Linds

The winter winds still managed to find their way into the forest like ghost of the past. They didn’t bluster about as they would across the open plains, but creeped between the tree trunks as if looking for prey. Perhaps they were truly hunters out to torture their next victim… I for one didn’t appreciate their tactics and knew that I was the last of many who would fall to the season’s cruel embrace. Fuck dying from hypothermia. Fuck the cold.

In the time I’d spent mourning an idea that went just as swiftly as it came, I’d succeeded in losing myself to the shadows that made up this dull and vacant land. With only the trees and the spattering of moonlight to keep my company I felt somehow invisible or just suspended in time until the day itself returned to light the way. There appeared no point of entry and no path toward certain departure which obviously meant that I was lost. However, I was content with the idea of having no road ahead and no road behind… I was comfortable with my wandering.

Even as I weaved between the thick trunks of the pines, some mottled and misshapen by the past, I was compelled by the evident beauty of such a place. A man could become nothing in this empty wood if he tried hard enough… and the only frightening thing I’d learned of the Deep Forest thus far was that this was most certainly a way for a man to disappear.

My musings had provided the perfect distraction for a fellow wanderer to sneak up behind me when I least expected. But, he wasn’t the deadly monster I’d been expecting and more of a jolly ole fool who clearly didn’t care what I was capable of. What if I’d been anyone else? What if I’d been looking for someone to kill? This idiot wouldn’t know and he would have approached me in the dead of night just asking to be murdered. It was also sad to say that my spirits were instantly lifted by the sight of him (and my humor consequently restored). It was a good thing that he’d stumbled upon me instead of some bear or wolf or whatever lurked in the dead wood. Surely he’d be dead by now after trying to start a conversation with them, but he was just as lost as I was and I guess I could forgive him his stupidity.

Or a bad thing depending on who you ask,” I replied with a faint shadow of a smile. This one wasn’t a pretty lady I could lure to my bed in the middle of the night, but he was company enough for me. He also happened to be the very first stallion I’d met since arriving in Helovia. No wonder I’d encountered so many fascinated females, I thought. Perhaps they admired my skepticism or just me in general. Either way, it was of no interest to me just as long as I wasn’t rivalled.

"Are you lost, too?"

Well of course I was. Did I look like some regular Tom, Dick, or Harry just frolicking about in these creepy-ass woods waiting to be killed myself? Of course not. “I wouldn’t call it lost anymore. You’re never really found here in Helovia if you want to know the truth,” I replied casually, as if I hadn’t been wallowing in my own self-pity only moments before. I couldn’t make out the boy’s features as well as I would’ve liked, but I could see the soft traces of white in his coat and the knotted horn upon his brow. That would have to suffice for a time.

Or until it didn’t.

Just when I thought I’d happened upon some brotherly company, it was quickly interrupted by this wispy female greeting that grated my nerves and piqued my interest simultaneously. Again I was confused by their jovial introduction… I mean were we not in a forest that could probably swallow us whole, never to be seen again? Or was I simply too wary? I’d like to think it was the latter, but I was also rather new to Helovia so that may have played a role in my utter confusion about it inhabitants. “Yes, hello?” I countered cautiously. The mare was also concealed by the robes of night, but I could clearly see, or rather hear, the clinking of some kind of trinket or another. Perhaps she was adorned in jewels or what have you, but I assumed that she too didn’t care what kind of creatures lurked in the wood waiting to taste a bit of her-

Well now, that took a turn for the worst. “And I’m flattered,” I hedged smoothly. At least they were the kind of folk that one could tolerate for a time. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if we were all lost together if only because my weakness in solitude made me somewhat manic.

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

Run towards the stars, or make them shine. Fight the tide, until the day we die.

▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

I Forget

I am unbidden
I forget what you
taught me, dear

father remind me
what was it you once said
what was it I once heard:

the voice for whom the heart stirs
the heart that stirs the voice to speak?
Oh father, please forgive me, oh

father, I forget.

ASHAMIN
BEAUTY IS PERCEPTION

But of course, he was never alone.

Tiamat had begun to follow Ashamin after meeting him in the Secret Grove, and though their travels had not always been strictly side by side (and he would admit that for a moment he had thought he had lost her in these woods,) he was not terribly surprised to see her emerge from the trees. As she parted the shadows with the light of her being, the painted buck smiled. It was genuine--the smile of comfort at the sight of familiar kindness.

The star-painted stallion, on the other hand, was more difficult for Ashamin to understand. He wasn't sure he'd ever met anyone so openly... faith, the stallion didn't even know what the word was. Openly what, informal? Or just bluntly honest? Disappointed was not the word, but perhaps, well, caught off guard. He had seen a stallion of such physical beauty and shocked himself with his own judgement: he had assumed a sort of worldly intelligence from one looking so clearly like he was plucked from the sky. From this other stallion's lips, he had expected a magnificent treatise on pain.

But perhaps that was more of a reflection on Ashamin than anyone else.

And perhaps that was what this character before him maintained, and perhaps it was simply a side Ashamin was not seeing right away. This, too, was something he knew he was wrong to assume. There was a wisdom to this other stallion's speech, just not one Ashamin had ever before seen. But the buck knew better than to narrow his understanding of such a thing as knowledge, particularly given that he was always in pursuit of it.

So with a small self-chiding, an insistence to clear himself of expectation, Ashamin returned the stallion's smile. A smile could go a long way in this land of magic and 'panions, he was learning that very quickly. And at the same moment that Tiamat stepped from the dark, introducing herself in those delicate tones that radiated sweetness, Ashamin incidentally drew close enough to the starry one to put forth his cheek, presenting an offer for the other stallion to touch it. Had he the gift of hindsight, then, some future version of himself looking back, perhaps Ashamin would have held off and not overwhelmed the stallion with the interaction.

Ashamin's tail waved at his back and beckoned Tiamat closer and to his own side. His face turned to hers instinctively, reaching to touch it, to feel the softness of her cheek again. She was kind; her touch was a rare welcome warmth, a distraction from his thoughts. For Ashamin's thoughts still linger on the lostness of which this stallion speaks. He feels, for a moment, a worry. Will he himself stay lost?

But the egg at his chest, so small and powerless, and the home that lay in the Northwest of anything but. Ashamin pulled back from the stallion to give him more space, drawing closer to Tiamat, creating at her side a unified front.

"I think," Ashamin said with a smile to his colleague, his fellow soon-to-be-Basin-member, "That one can find themselves, if their company is kind enough and they head in their direction together."

Yes, it was confidence that all this company had gifted him. First Zahra and now Tiamat. Perhaps this stallion would do the same for Ashamin. He lifted his head but kept his gaze trained lower, first casting a meaningful, pregnant glance at Tiamat before returning his eyes to the stallion. "I am Ashamin--the both of us are seeking a way out of this wandering. We are headed North, towards our home in the Aurora Basin."

Ashamin hesitated; he caught Tiamat's white eyes once more, as if searching for an answer in them. How could he invite this stallion home with them, when he didn't even know the stranger's name? He doubted it was 'flattered.' That failure to produce a moniker, that sort of... informality, again, irked him. What had the other stallion's reply even indicated? Had Ashamin been more aware, he would have recognized that the stranger was producing some sort of flirtatious dialogue. Had he been even more acute in his observation of himself, he would have noticed the reaction--the lash of his infinitely long tail and the struggle to keep his eyes wide when this stranger had spoken so boldly. He turned his gaze now entirely to Tiamat, watching her, hoping she would produce a response.

This confidence, it was a new look on the buck. But this dependence on others, even as he cradled unborn life to his breast, still, it always remained.

[[@[Tiamat], @[Atlas]]]

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Tiamat

At Ashamin’s beckoning—by his impossibly long tail, which makes her giggle amusingly to herself, what a wonder it is!—the ocean blue mare sidles closer to the two stallions, coming to rest at the familiarity of the unicorn’s shoulder. She completes his touch happily, pressing her muzzle briefly to his in a gesture of companionship. Despite having not known each other long, they have becomes fast friends—united together in the fellowship of their quest for home. Tiamat enjoys Ashamin’s company very much, and hopes that their camaraderie will last much longer than their journey together.

Her smile widens when Ashamin speaks again to the wondrously star-painted unicorn. Tiamat is not off-putted by his less-than-merry demeanor (perhaps not all can have the smiles of sunshine and the hearts of rainbows), but she accepts him nonetheless. All the while, the possibility never leaves her mind that maybe—just maybe—he has been born to mother sky like she. She quivers in excitement, shuffling her weight to keep herself from blurting out.

Then Ashamin glances to her, and she turns the stark white of her eyes to him, smiling encouragingly. Her heart flutters happily with the mention of heading north, and Aurora Basin, and home. She is so ready to be joined in the mountainous valley again. While she has never felt truly lonely—what with either the watchful eye of her mother accompanying her, or her sisters’ playful presence, or the other family that surrounds her—but the Basin gives her a sense of longing that she can’t quite explain. All she knows it that it is happy and safe and good.

Sighing blissfully to herself, she catches Ashamin’s glance once more. Whereas the lanky stallion is uncertain, Tiamat is sure, not lacking the confidence to reach out kindly to the stranger. To be honest, she is quite eager to have a moment. There are many questions for him that sit on her tongue, questions of the earth, sky, and family—but she is able to restrain herself, starting out simple.

“Perhaps you would not feel so lost if you were to share some company for a little while,” her gentle grin is encouraging, leaving the formal invitation for Ashamin (it would do him some good, she thinks). Of course, she knows nothing of the starred stallion’s situation—he could have just departed from other companions hours ago—but from personal experience, she feels most lost when she has been alone, and uses this logic to help him as best as she knows how. “The North is a beautiful and wondrous place,” the blue mare adds, truly taken by it herself.

Flicking her lion-like tail out behind her, Tiamat tilts her head slightly to the side, peering up at him in playful curiosity. “Is there another name you bear, friend? Or would you prefer to be known as Sir Flattered? Blue lips twist into a good-natured smile, her merry laughter soon mingling with light words. She is jesting, of course, not keen on assaulting his personal space right away, but surely a name is no matter. If nothing else, it is the first step to making a new friend—and, just perhaps, discovering another with origins similar to hers.

tag; @[Atlas] & @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”
image credits

Linds

With nightfall liberating the dark wood of any heat or comfort, I fought the urge to shiver against the violent winter wind. It was a biting thing –like needles pricking the skin- and it was honestly a wonder I’d managed to find anyone out and about in such unbearable circumstances. Hell, it was a wonder that I was trudging about in the Deep Forest so late in the night… I guess a lonely heart can rob one of any personal preservation, hm? Yet, it appeared that I was the only lonely heart in these parts –perhaps it was of my own culpability, but that was neither here nor there- because the patchwork stallion with his giant, leonine tail was certainly not as lonely as I.

His little maiden, though fair, seemed to appreciate his guardianship over her and when he flung that enormous tail about in some symbol of invitation, she came to his side like some lovesick puppy desiring attention. Cocking my head in their direction, I watched her approach and press her curious –Aqua? Blue? Teal?- muzzle into his (though not before giggling like some innocent schoolgirl who wore pigtails for fun). Instead of gawking at the lovefest like the sleazy onlooker I was, I glanced down to study my hooves and the snow that gathered around them. The ground was frozen and hard, and as I rolled all of my weight into my shoulders, I tried to refrain from being the complete ass I was about to become. Sometimes a man just couldn’t resist. “So, what, are you all lovers? Or just courting… or whatever you monogamists call it?” I finally questioned while looking up at them again. “I mean if you were looking for privacy, then by all means,” I reassured heartily while motioning for them move on.

After all, who was I to deny the man a shot at such an incredible lady (schoolgirl or not)? I mean, they were standing close enough and she was all smiles like she was hiding a secret that I wasn’t privy to. I hoped they weren’t planning on asking me to join… But there was always some ulterior motive to meeting those that went bump in the night, or hump given the right situation. Besides, what else was this dude trying to get at? We could find ourselves? Honestly? “I’m not sure I understand… but I only have one direction if you know what I mean,” I answered while looking at each of my companions in turn. Even the fair lady seemed adamant about my company… I mean if she -not he- wanted a romp in the woods- dammit, I needed to learn to control myself. I certainly had no desire to be a third wheel, I knew that much, and I was about to reiterate that fact before they both starting spewing complements about the damn Aurora Basin. What did they do to their citizens up there- brainwash them? I mean, that frightening little demon named Jorogumo had also tried to get me to visit.

But she didn’t really have eyes… so I guess it was fair that I’d declined, right?

Shifting uncomfortably, I nodded at Ashamin –as he’d named himself- and considered what he’d said about heading to the north. Well at least he wasn’t asking me to… -that was a relief. “I hear it’s a fine place to be,” I commented of the Basin. Of course, it would only be a fine place to be if I’d had any interest in living there, but then again… why didn’t I? I’d wandered about for this long and done absolutely nothing. I’d encountered a few friendly faces, enjoyed a few others, and now I was left to ponder the idea of possibly asking to join them. I mean, what would it hurt? The lovers seemed like an awfully pleasant pair, if anything… “Sir Flattered certainly wouldn’t offend me, but in my downtime I go by Atlas,” I smiled in response to the darling-of-a-creature that was the lovely maiden. “Well, if you’re in a position for company, I’d be delighted to join you… to the north,” I suggested with a slight nod.

We’d be like the three amigos or three peas in a pod, or two peas in a pod plus me. Either way I’d be on my way toward a new and exciting adventure.

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

The Direct Route

If I am your misunderstanding then
let you be my misguided love
you and you, and all us three
together we'll make confusion
together we'll find a way home.

ASHAMIN
BEAUTY IS PERCEPTION

None of it, not a damned word, made any sense at all.

Ashamin had understood and taken comfort in Tiamat's willing kindness. He had recognized the reassurance in her look, he had appreciated her asking the stranger the question he could not. He wasn't sure he could ask anything of that star-painted creature, the one whom he understood so poorly. And of course, their new stallion company did nothing to clarify the matter.

The stranger, this Atlas as he now revealed himself to be, was bolder than Ashamin had even expected. And he was wrong, too. Was he courting Tiamat? This stallion could not have been more ridiculous. Ashamin wasn't even quite sure what courting was, wasn't even quite sure where this stallion had gotten such an impression, an impression that they were lovers, but he knew it couldn't be true.

He'd never had a lover before but he had a feeling that whatever he felt for Tiamat was just friendship, and nothing more. Then again, he'd also thought they were heading North. For a youth so wise, so well-versed in the archaic tomes of death, perhaps he knew little of what it was like to be alive as anything other than a child. For once in his life, he had some semblance of being in charge. He could feel it in the way Tiamat waited for him to make the move to invite Atlas North; he could feel it in the warmth of the egg at his chest; he could feel it in the way that Atlas had assumed Ashamin had some sort of claim over Tiamat, wrong as the starry one was; and he could feel it in that same stranger's question, even as he asked to join them.

There was a lot to think on and a lot, too, to say. Ashamin began by shaking his head and staring Atlas down. "No, I'm not sure I do know what you mean..." Ashamin said, frank, confused, mildly concerned, and willing to admit a lack of knowledge given that he had a feeling no one knew what the starry one meant. He wasn't entirely sure why he did that last bit, though--that staring. Was it out of annoyance at Atlas or an inability to look Tiamat in the eyes after his remark? Why did he feel hot with embarrassment? "Tiamat is a new friend. She is my company North and homeward--you, too, are welcome to the same, Atlas," Ashamin said with a smile that was a poorly concealed attempt to mask his confusion at the situation.

How had he even gotten here, in these woods, on this dark and cold night? And how had he gotten here with such a curious crew about to be in tow and following him home?

[[Tiamat, Atlas]]

Tiamat

When the star-painted stallion asks about lovers, courting, and privacy, Tiamat tilts her head to the side in confusion, her white eyes sparkling as they catch the night’s glowing light.

While it is true that the blue mare loves with her whole heart, uninhibited in her affections and giving, in reality, her understanding of love is very narrow—even more so when it comes to the idea of being in love and having a lover. She loves her parents, her family, her friends, and nature. That she understands—the love and companionship of being together with those that she cares about. But what he speaks of? She has never experienced it before.

Does she love Ashamin? Of course! In the same way she loves her sister stars that are twinkling above them in the darkness, or the brown mare who had guided her home all those years ago—or perhaps even how she could grow to love the painted stallion standing before them. Tiamat loves—she loves without condition and without inhibition. Who needs a reason, anyway? Almost blindly, like a child to its mother, she gives her heart to those around her, confiding in them a naïve sense of trust that has yet to be torn from her innocent eyes. She likes the world this way—it is her world, and she wants to share it.

Her white eyes flickering between both of the stallions, her gaze eventually comes to settle on the stranger, dainty ears tilting forward. “Yes, Ashamin is my dear friend; we’ve only just met, not long ago now, but I am grateful for his companionship nonetheless,” the ocean mare smiles, sensing the general confusion that is buzzing about their little group, although she is pleasantly unaware of the slight tension that accompanies it.

Like the long-tailed stallion, Tiamat doesn’t exactly understand everything the starry stranger says, but in her good nature she can only assume it is of the best intentions. What else can she expect?

“It is a fine place, Atlas—” what a fitting name! She thinks delightfully, her smile widening to flash brilliant white teeth “—and as Ashamin has said, we would love it if you joined us in our journey. We could always use the extra guidance.” Tiamat giggles blithely, the sounds trilling like rain through the air, and she shakes her pretty head. A gentle gaze is cast to the black and white stallion, her eyes bright, hoping to assure him that she teases him only in jest. After all, if Ashamin hadn’t gotten them lost, then they wouldn’t have found Atlas—and where would he be then?!

Everything works out the way it should, and everything happens for a reason—even if you don’t understand it then. This she is sure of.

notes; horribly late, I'm so sorry! x[
tag;
@[Atlas] & @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”
image credits

Linds

Simple is as simple does and I’d always considered myself a simple man. It didn’t take much thought to be simple and perhaps that’s why it was best I wasn’t complex. I didn’t need to fester over intricate relationships or the politics of anything other than my own wants and needs. I didn’t care about the semantics of conversation or ulterior motives… I just was and would be simple.

It didn’t matter that Ashamin thought me a pompous ass or that his companion was just as muddled about all the things I’d presumed of them. I was nothing more than a simple man and there was no need to decorate what I was thinking. I guess that’s just how I operated and some time ago I’d learned to cope with how the outside world disagreed with it. If I’d had time to grow up as anything other than simple, I would have taken more initiative in the colorful world around me. I would have made an effort to perfect the art of chivalry or perhaps I would have desired a family… Sometimes I wish I’d grown up more complex like the rest of my species and not so separated as it were.

Even there, in the depths of a forest far too vast and shrouded in darkness, I felt suddenly bereft by the faces that accosted me. Neither of them understood me nor would they ever… In fact, I didn’t care what excuses they cared to spew in order to bridge some sort of understanding within their own minds. I didn’t care about their formalities or their mock kindness. Didn’t they know we lived in a world of complexity? They’d been trained to act accordingly and I… well I’d climbed another mountain. Where they were still working toward the top, I was staring down at them with a gallant smile. I’d perched upon Mt. Simplicity and ended up its namesake. “Friends, lovers, or strangers… they’re all the same,” I answered easily while looking each in the eye, one right after the other. “But, I’d like to go North. If that’s where you’re headed then I suggest we get moving, unless you’d like to remain here in the dark forest waiting for light.

At that, I turned away from them both, my ears pointed ahead as if I were the sole captain manning the helm. Neither of those plucky little twats was going to step up anyhow, no matter how complex they were.

Once, I turned to regard them with lost, emotionless eyes and I wondered… Were they really so complex and I so simple? Or was I just the opposite of what I’d always believed? They did as they were taught and nothing more and nothing less; maybe they were the simple ones… but where did that leave me?

Let’s go then.

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

@[Tiamat] @[Ashamin]

▌ Pixel by DarkShadow