the Rift

[OPEN] [WELCOME] In Our Short Bitter Lives

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
As strong as the seas are stormy.</style>

Wind seemed to cut into her pristine hide like slivers of ice, embedding shards beneath her skin to linger long past when she would eventually retreat back into the caverns. It was almost unfortunate, all things considered, but Hotaru was nothing if not a gracious...host. She and Alice had appearances to keep up, after all. And even further, a part of her that she did not often admit to was invested in her people. A queen befitting the ice and snow, but with a warmth she'd rather not attest to.

Ashamin was not part of her proper fold, they'd yet to have a moment alone together although she'd had a hand in his promotion. Ah, but what did Hotaru not have a hand in? There would be time, in the future, for her to experience his ins and outs and delve into the labyrinth of his mind. He was her Haruspex after all, and though Hotaru had few pleasant dealings with the Gods, his insight would be valuable nonetheless. With his dedication in the Threshold, perhaps that meeting should occur sooner rather than later...

Contemplating him as he swayed closer to her from the veil of the snow, the Lady tipped her head in acknowledgement as his voice pierced the haze of white noise and howling wind to grace her ears respectfully. Demothi, was it? At least he had manners about him. "The honor is mine, if you found our herd to be a potential home for you." Though she was loathe to let him too far into her borders without further assessing him, it was quickly becoming a bluster too harsh for her form. The maiden twirled on her heels to follow after Ashamin back towards the caverns and the warmth of the firelight, Alice promptly at her side. Though the fire was sputtering and dying, Ashamin was quick to feed its ever-starving fingers, and Hotaru flicked her already damp tail to try and rid the worst of the wetness from its strands. Her eyes flitted over to Demothi as he trailed behind the pair of them, eyes like sea glass and ivory, smooth and unassuming on the surface but critical beneath. She'd not let anyone into her pack, after all. She'd sooner tear his throat out with her blunted teeth, because she was Alpha here, and she had a family to keep safe.

Delicate ears flicked as the brute began to speak, clearly weary but attentive. She withholds words until he continues, eyes never daring to stray from his form even as her face was relaxed. It was close quarters for a fight, and though she trusted Ashamin's judgment, Hotaru was not one for expedient trust. "The Basin is home to any soul who is willing to pull their own weight and better the herd, be it through love or labor." Though, tasks were required of all citizens regardless, there were those among them - Lena, for example - who brightened their ranks purely through adoration and dedication for their family values. He certainly appeared more of a fighter, but well, appearances could be deceiving. Hotaru's were, after all. 

Oh, smart cookie though. Problems? "Well I do believe you've just experienced one of them," she laughed, amused by the mild irony of it all. "It is the environment that is hardest to deal with, at first. But our tundras have yet to fail us for food, and we have natural hot springs to keep the chill away." A light smile tugged at her pale lips, and she spared a glance for Alice, who had sprawled against the floor near the fire and was staring curiously at Lochan. "You'll have to forgive me for not coming up with more, as this land's Lady perhaps I take too much pride in its benefits. The Basin was once the evil of the lands, but to be honest with you before you agree to stay here, that is no longer held true. This herd has been changing for the better, and we are all ears up the ranks for improvements and feedback." Her thin shoulders shrugged, completely guileless for a brief moment, until her eyes shifted and she let them slide up to Demothi's. He had nothing but gratitude and compliments for her Haruspex, which at least earned him a smidgen of a point on her book. She took pride in her flock, after all. "I am blessed with all my family, it is my hope they are aware of that." Her eyes flickered to Ashamin, sparing a flickering, glowing smile before turning to give Demothi her final decision. 

"You are free to stay, whether for haven through the winter or on a permanent basis. I trust Ashamin's judgment of you, and on those grounds you have my temporary approval. Any further questions you would like to ask of me, of either of us, you must merely speak them. You'll not rid me very soon, that storm is far too much for me right now," ended lightly, eyes alight with a new spark of companionship. But it was clear with the way she had said temporary that he'd not fully convinced her, not yet. Not until she knew his motives more clearly. But nonetheless she'd indulge in his company freely and kindly for the moment, at least until the storm passed. 

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
[WELCOME] In Our Short Bitter Lives - by Ashamin - 07-13-2015, 07:55 PM
RE: [WELCOME] In Our Short Bitter Lives - by Hotaru - 08-14-2015, 07:32 PM