the Rift

[OPEN] The Right Choice [welcoming]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu

Tembovu grinned his lopsided grin- the warmth in his face easily keeping the chill of the air at bay, at least for a while- as the striking gold and black mare walked up to him. He chuckled, the rich sound rolling from his barrel, at her pert words. “Apparently nothing,” he answered her question. “You’re quite the saucy mare, aren’t you?” he continued his grin as he asked the question and resumed his swinging strides, “I, for one, welcome the sass. It’s a refreshing change,” again he chuckled. The baritone noise was infectious.

The chill in the air grew as they wound their way through the forest. The trees slowly thinning as the elevation grew more varied.

Indeed, the elephant’s words had rung true when he said the warmth was in the day. For, as the sun sank to the horizon, painting a brilliant red across the snowed land, the meager heat quickly dissipated. Clouds of breath puffed from his thick nostrils, catching and glittering as frost on the sensitive whiskers. Slight exertion as they treaded up the snowy rise they brought them rather steeply to the Edge.

He also spoke the truth of making the Edge by sundown- surprising himself a little. He hadn’t been sure of it- though his own long strides most likely accounted for it. The cold had made him unconsciously inconsiderate of Cosette’s smaller strides. He snorted a cloud of condensation at himself, “My apologies if I walk too quickly, Cosette,” his deep voice finally rumbled- for the cold had stolen usual, his congenial banter, “The cold finds a way to rob me of good nature,” this time the words were almost grumbled.

His thick columns then to slow their brisk, sweeping stride. He now ascended the steeply growing grade at a more manageable speed. The burn he hadn’t even noticed in his muscles (militant training came in handy) immediately diminished. He sighed, relishing the feel of exertion- despite the cold. Turning his large head over his massive shoulder, azure eyes seek the unearthly gold ones. “Did you mean to come to Helovia? Or did you just wander here?” His eyes brows raise as his strong voice verbalized the questions.

They rose more, and then ground abruptly flattened, revealing a mess of broken glass. The shards peaked through an ample layer of snow. Paths of hoofprints had packed a path through the larger gaps. With a brief pause, his giant horn bobbed as he nodded it towards the wreckage, “Some of the rebuilding the needs to be done,” he said by way of explanation.

“Do you have a proclivity for a certain job, or any skills- apart from your cheek?” he asked, as he carefully chose an opening large enough for his berth. His deep blue gaze laughing as he glanced up from the razor edges towards the attractively marked Cosette.

ooc| @[Cosette] And anyone else who wishes to join the welcoming! :D

There's a burning star to lead your father home,
He'll travel from afar, no matter where you roam.
Rest your angry heart, my darling, don't you cry,
Soon you'll see him come across the bending, bleeding sky.

Please tag Tembovu.

Cosette Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"The inside of your mind must be a terrible place...

The trek here was not particularly pleasant. With the dying light came a biting, frigid cold that made the Gold's skin prickle and her breath freeze. Out of all her hatred for messy nature, cold was probably one of the more vile of the seasons; if the ever-bland look on her face could ever get more unamused, now was definitely the time. The snow chilled her hooves and legs in such a way that the only adequate description would be that they turned into horse popsicles..

But despite her disdain for the surrounding elements, she surprisingly did not take it out on Tembovu, although his question was met with a scoff and a sidewards glance from the petite mare. "You consider it sauciness... I consider it knowing what I want," she replied pertly. The small mare was quite adept at keeping up with him, in both pace and quick-wit.. and although there was a mild amount of sass in her voice, it was not nearly the same volume as the Brat, Enna, had been met with. "Although at least you, unlike others, can take it in stride," she chuckled, cold and misty breath puffing from her nostrils and muzzle.

As the duo approached the Edge, Cosette found her legs aching. The combination of the glacial temperatures and long distance had her wondering why Tembovu even opted to make the journey so far to the Threshold... it almost seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth. While she mentally questioned him, he was audibly questioning her... which made an amused ear flick in his direction. There were many answers to his inquiry, but what was the 'correct' one?

Helovia had strength in its rumors; in all truth, she wanted to see if the hearsay was as correct as it was made out to be. His suggestion that she wandered here made her ears twinge backwards, and a snort roll out of her nostrils. Do I look like someone who has no idea where I am going? were her sarcastic thoughts, but for the sake of not instilling animosity just yet, she quelled them. The Gold's actual words were not nearly as stinging. "Of course I meant to come here," she quipped, "Helovia has a reputation. I simply came here to see what all the fuss was about."

The Gold's attention was drawn from the conversation at hand, to the surrounding elements as they approached the borders of the World's Edge's lands. The snowy landscape ended abruptly where the Wall started... and truth be told, it was nothing like Cosette had ever seen. Slowly, numb legs slowed their pace as she approached it, until she was merely shuffling forward; gold eyes looked skyward, towards the top of the jagged wall. Approaching the broken structure, soft muzzle reached forward to nudge it. Erebos's magic was impressive... but this... in its unmarred, former glory, it must have been a true sight to behold. What was more impressive, however, was the raw strength it must have taken to break this behemoth. I wonder what the story behind all of this is... the Gold's thoughts trailed off; although such a question was most likely for another time, when she was better acquainted with the land.

The mare, dwarfed by the giant, followed quietly behind him as he passed through a gap in the wall. As she jumped through the rift, legs picked up just enough to bounce her over any possibly sharp edges that littered the ground. That was it... she was now in the borders of the World's Edge? "Is this place always so.. vacant?"

Golden eyes wandered up the behemoth, and a curious ear twitched in his direction when he inquired about skills. She had.. skills.. but not everyone may consider them 'noteworthy.' After all, they say a jack of all trades is a master of none.. "I came from a place that did not have 'roles,' or ranks, as you call them," she mused, "So you'll have to humor me in explaining what the Edge offers."

"Listen to her bitch out loud" ... and then internally
WC 675 // @[Tembovu] // please tag in all replies
code copyright to inkbone, please do not use

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu

He nodded his large head in agreement with her words, “Indeed Helovia does. It’s reputation of… diverse leadership brought me here,” his deep voice pauses, thoughts turning to his journey away from chaos and fall tyrants. A persecuted trek to a land that- though it may still have abuses of power- at least there were checks of the gods in place.

These thoughts made glance curiously at Cosette, “What part of its reputation brought you here?” He had a feeling the mare had an entertaining story- though he wasn't sure if it was because she would tell it in an amusing fashion, or if the substance was truly diverting.

Continue their trek through the thinning trees, they left the tree cover and approached an opening. Though the opening yielded the last of the sunshine, and thus warmth, it also gave deeper snow and a chilly breeze. A breeze that was rising over the cliffs that weren’t too far away. Deep blue eyes glance from Cosette to the setting sun- he had wanted to get to the cliffs before the sun fully left. Though they were just as beautiful in the light of their Lady Moon.

He sighed at her question, for indeed he wondered where his odd Queen Mauja and prickly King Torleik were- surely assessing some her business. “No, not usually. I think the cold has driven even the social butterflies to hibernate. I certainly can’t blame them,” he chuckled, the sound warming his massive barrel.

Heavy, large hoofprints continue towards the cliffs, though he walked side-by-side with the pert gilded jaguaress. He absently scanned the snow as he recollected the possible ranks in the herd, strong jaw working a bit as he gathered his thoughts.

“The Edge has titles and ranks unique to it, just as the other herdlands do. We are under the guidance of the Lady Moon- the glass we passed through is a remnant of her power-“ snorted as he realized he was getting sidetracked, “Regardless, you may heal, fight, spy, craft, or scry. Different ranks in each have different names, but that’s the general gist of it.”

He slowed his thick columns of legs as the cliffs started to appear. They might catch them in time for the last sliver of sun to sink beneath the sea. The wind had become noticeably stronger as they approached, whipping some snow into small flurries. The biting wind had his thick ears flicked hindwards, and the good humor he had gained was quickly fleeing. “I was a solider before I came here. And now I work as a glazier- shaping glass-“ he snorted slightly in disbelief that a calloused general as large as he could be working with glass. “Needless to say, you may do as you please, so long as you work at it.” He smiled slightly, thick lips turning up at the corners as his eyes warmed a little in the cold.

There's a burning star to lead your father home,
He'll travel from afar, no matter where you roam.
Rest your angry heart, my darling, don't you cry,
Soon you'll see him come across the bending, bleeding sky.

Please tag Tembovu.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
hän katsoi maan reunalta tähteä putoavaa

"Oh, the King, gone mad within his suffering..." Mauja's faint voice slipped out into the cold air; lost in a puff of white smoke it rose towards the cooling, darkening sky. It would never reach the stars.

It hadn't been meant to, either—a little bit of whimsy and truth spilling out between dark lips, to caper with the snowflakes, the breeze.. the gulls, wheeling in lonesome formations out over the dark waves. He sighed. So much, and for nothing. So close, and now.. so unbelievably far. If he had begun to walk into the light, he was tracing his steps backwards again. The shadows were comforting and familiar. The shadows knew the secrets of his dark, bloodied heart, and kept them—breathed no word of the violence, nor of the love.

He tried to avoid brooding. He tried to avoid being pensive. He tried to avoid introspection, as it only lead to visions of blood frozen in the snow, and flaming blue eyes. He had lived a while, now—it was only natural that he had lost much and many. Thinking back would only make it hurt the more.

Before his hooves laid nothing. Half an edge of white cliff, the snow blown off at some point—and beneath that, just the ocean, a million lifetimes away. His pale hair rose and fell around him to the wind's whims, blue eyes narrowed against its sting. He had stood here too many times. It was a perfect picture of stillness, and yet it was always wild, the ocean giving low roars of insatiable hunger. Like the Moon, he supposed—beautiful and wild and reckless and illogical.

Something caught his attention. Movement, a voice, a whisper; a scent, something of heat and life carried in by the breeze. Mauja turned his head. He'd sort of assumed all of the Edge had gone into hibernation, but apparently not, for between the trees came none other than.. Tembovu, his more-than-ample-enough frame soldiering on through the snow. In his wake—or by his side? his perspective was off—came a sleek, black shadow. The absolutely last of the blood-red sunlight struck burnished flecks along her head and neck, shimmering there in a last attempt at light and life. It was a breathtaking display of mere seconds before it began to dull and fade, the sun pulled under the horizon by whatever celestial forces that powered their earth.

Mauja said nothing, merely watched them in keen silence, ears tipped their way.

[ @Cosette, @Tembovu ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here