the Rift

[OPEN] Love Thy Neighbor

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable

NASREEN

Now that you knew Ilios lived here too, you began to feel a little better about your decision to come live amongst those of the Dragon’s Throat. Another friendly face had done wonders for your spirits, and you had taken to exploring your new home with more interest than before. Perhaps even the tiniest seedling of hope had begun to sprout in the deepest corner of your heart, the dream of starting fresh awakened by the sunshine of the welcoming smiles you had received here.

After a night of some of the most peaceful sleep you’d had in weeks, you opened gray eyes to bright light. You were covered in a light sweat, but this morning, it was not an unfriendly reminder of any nightmare but the simple consequence of the sun that was already beating down on your back. You would have to get used to the lack of forests in this place, but if they were willing to take you in as they had, you could adapt. Stretching lightly, you shook what sand you could from your copper and cream coat and ambled towards the oasis for a drink of water.

After a few minutes of travel across the sands, you reached your destination and waded into the lake. Sighing softly, you let the cool water soak into your skin, then lowered your head to drink greedily. As you raised your head to look around, liquid dribbled from your chin in cool, crystalline drops, plunking into the lake with quiet drips. Aside from a light breeze and the rustle of the dry grasses flanking the lake, it was rather silent here—unusual, you thought, for a place that must be the very lifeblood of this herd’s existence. Where was everyone? you wondered, ducking for another drink. And perhaps more importantly, where was Bucephalus? You were aware that he had herd business, but it seemed to have carried him away for almost the entirety of your residence here. You had hoped that he might have introduced your to some of your new herdmates, but in his absence, it looked like you would have to meet them yourself. Now, if only you could find them…

image by shady

@Spice
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Spice Posts: 118
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 2 years
Wayne :: Zebra Finch :: None Sage

I can't believe my eyes when I see her standing at the water's edge.
I've taken to the skies to get a closer look from above, and frankly, to get to the water hole faster, but whatever. It doesn't matter.

I just want to see who this woman is. This woman who looks a lot like my mother. This woman who seems to have taken my mother's looks and slathered it onto a different body. When I come closer, I can see her drinking a little and then stopping. She seems careful in her actions, and the slinking walk is something I take note with.

I'll land only a few feet from her so she has no reason not to speak to me. Yeah. That's what I'll do.
And so, I do it, landing only a few yards from her. I wonder if she's afraid at how fast I'd spiraled down. Maybe she knew I was there. Maybe she knows who I am...
But up close, she looks less like my mother than I'd hoped. She-

She isn't my mother. Let's just get that out of the way.

I step towards her, but there's this thing about my body that's changed I feel a little bit more confident than I had before. Wayne's perched in a nearby tree, whistling out a short tune as she watches me. I can feel her interest through the bond. It stuck out in my mind like a sore thumb. But...not in a bad way. The sore thumb was more like a bookmark.

"Hello?" I say, and then realize that I'd said it like a question. NOW I sound like and idiot. "Hello." I say like I'm confirming something. Now I'm about a yard from her, because I've been advancing this whole time.

Now I stop and wait for her response. Maybe she doesn't think we look alike at all. Maybe she thinks I'm weird. Oh Gods, I don't exactly want her to think I'm weird! Alarms buzz in my brain and I close my eyes and let in a breath.
Calm I focus on that word and it's meaning.
It means to stay orderly and smooth.
Be smooth. "I'm Spice." I blurt.

Totally not smooth.

"Talk talk talk."

OOC;; ooc notes here
TAG;; tags here @[----]
Image Credits
- table by Niki -
Gᴏᴏᴅ Gɪʀʟs Aʀᴇ Bᴀᴅ Gɪʀʟs Tʜᴀᴛ Hᴀᴠᴇɴ'ᴛ Bᴇᴇɴ Cᴀᴜɢʜᴛ

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable

NASREEN

She flutters down silently like an autumn leaf from above, making your grey gaze dart upwards. It had been silly of you really, not to scan the skies—now that you think about it, the only herdmates you’ve met thus far have wings. For a moment, her sudden appearance makes you start guiltily, but then you remind yourself that you live here now, too. “Hello? the young mare calls out as she approaches. Your ears tilt forward, but before you can return with a greeting of your own, she repeats herself without the inflection. “Hi there!” you reply brightly, nickering a welcome. “I don’t think we’ve met…I’m Nasreen.” The introduction hangs in the air between you, and you toss your mane a little, feeling sheepish. When you had joined the Edge, you had Kahlua at your side to guide you. Now, without Bucephalus as a liason, you feel like a bit of an interloper. What should you say? Making friends had never been difficult for you, but then again, you had formed most of your Helovian relationships under the subconscious idea that they would only be temporary. Your real life had lain somewhere beyond the borders of this world, your family and home tucked away inside a godswood that has now been reduced to a heap of ashes. And because it is impossible to rebuild there, you must now begin to construct reality here—making friends is one way to start, if you can remember how to do it.

“I…I’m new here,” you finally explain, a little awkwardly perhaps, but your tone is friendly. “Well—not to Helovia—“ you rush to clarify, “Just…just to the Throat. Have you lived here long?” you finish lamely, flustered at your own self-consciousness. You don’t know why it’s so important for the girl to accept you, but perhaps it is because there’s no longer any safety net if things go wrong. Now, you can only escape to Th’orqui in your dreams.

image by shady

@Spice
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!