the Rift

[OPEN] When daffodils begin to peer [Spring NPC]

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The emergence of Birdsong brought forth a multitude of renewal and regrowth. Plants emerged from their long winter’s nap. Tiny deer lay bundled beside their mothers. Buds appeared along the arms of long oaks and towering maples, awakened and nurtured by the sun.

One mother in particular, a young robin, nestled along an outstretched branch, revered the warmth of spring. She hustled and bustled along her nest, peered at its tiny, speckled blue contents (kept counting them over, one, two, three, one, two, three), and fluttered back down to the ground. Perhaps the nest could do with a few more sticks, a twig here or there, or some new moss sprouting…

She worked quickly, singing a little tune as she went. She grabbed a beakful of precious items, and flickered back to her nest, applying the twigs here or there, plucking and forcing, twisting and turning, not noticing how hard she’d bumped the dear, sweet little nest, working away until it looked just right.

Pleased with herself, she stared back into the opening, content and satisfied.

Wait. Something was off.

She counted her eggs again. One, two…where was the third?

Panic erupted through her tiny body. She flapped higher and higher, glancing all over, desperate to find her lost child. There, down on the ground! It had landed in a soft bed of moss, thankfully, and she immediately landed near it, wailing and hooting and screeching away. Even though it had managed to remain unscathed, there was no way for her to get it back in the nest. How was she to tend it? How would she be able to get it back, quickly, safely, before a predator appeared?

Would someone help her?

[Spring NPC thread for the Basin contest. Can you find a way to get the egg back into the nest? Prizes may be involved. –whistles-]

Zünden Posts: 75
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.3 :: Four [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Pare

She had returned home to rest before finishing the quest she had been given. If the God of Time and wanted the tasks he had assigned the girl to make her hesitant with the magic he was going to bestow upon her, he had failed. Sure she wouldn't use it on her herd-mates, or friends, but it would be used as often as possible. The girl wasn't sure he wouldn't have something else for her to do before he would grant her the power she so craved.

Multiple colored eyes gazed around the slowly warming Basin. Trees were budding, birds were singing, and furry creatures were humping; everywhere. There wasn't a single damned bush safe from the horny mice and everything else. Shaking her head the girl sauntered on trying her best to ignore the tiny squeaks, and grunts. Finally she came to rest under a large tree where it was finally quiet. Something seemed to draw her yellow and green gaze down at an egg. At first she just stared at the tiny thing on the ground. Then excitement and greed crept into her mind. Was this a companion? Then the sudden sound of flapping wings that drew her attention upwards. Disappointment settled like a black cloud over her heart. "Is this your egg?" Her voice was flat as she gazed up at the bird then back at the egg by her hooves. "I can try and help get it back up there, I guess." She looked around searching for anything that might get it up there safely.

-----------------------
Talking"
OOC; HORRIBLE!
Words/Tags; 259
image credit
- table by Niki -
Superiority is my reason
Anger is my fuel
Blood is the cost
Victory is my prize
[Image: zunden_by_poolpaw-d8dwmp0.png]
Her horn isn't broken

Demothi Posts: 14
Up For Adoption
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 5
Adoptable
"Eh. That is a bother," my eyes flicker from the ground to the frantic mother bird. Apparently mother hens are not the only ones that fly into a hot fuss over their young. Praise the gods our young are birthed. "Don't fret.. Ma."

My head jerks up at how casually the word slips from my tongue. As if I had at some point in my life used it regularly. Did my own mother fret over me so?

How things change. With a grimace I fight through the splitting headache. The changing of seasons irritates the symptoms of my disease. What the correlation is I am unsure, but I am counting the days until my body settles into the season.

"We are too large to handle it. What if we made her a sling to carry it to her nest with?" My eyes turn an even icier blue as I survey the area around us for ideas. If we had the dexterity and precision of the bird's beak we could weave a sling for her. But our lips are useless to do such a thing. Or we could create a more large scale sling. 

That could be it!

"We need to make a larger sling. One for us to use." I arch my brow at the filly, does she mind my taking charge of the situation? My body is beginning to ache along with my head. I want to get this done quickly so I can rest. 

"Rocks could be used to make the egg rise, if we settled it like a balance. But what will we make the rest of it out of?" Will it work? I suppose I should ask her what she thinks about the matter but I haven't the patience to waste time on actions that are no more than formalities. I rub my head on my right foreleg, doing my best to press the pain from my head. I feel like I have spoken an exceptional amount. I am ready to settle into someplace silent.

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels

“And if the rocks topple or if one of us slips? Dead baby, and likely a hurt you; it has too much potential to fail.” You normally aren’t so graphic, but just the way his idea plays out in your mind is enough to brand him an idiot, not to mention his previous stunt with Lena. You come to a pause alongside your two kin, refusing to so much as look at the boy and sparing only a glance to the downy-gray woman before shifting your gaze to the frantic mother, and lastly to the tiny egg. It had fallen for a reason, and the thought of simply leaving it to whatever fate it would meet does cross your mind, but the thought of it dying sends a pang through your heart, the idea too terrible to give any further attention to. “We could just leave it on the ground; build it a nest of sorts to make sure it stays warm… Cause unless one of you possesses the ability to turn into a giraffe, I don’t think we’ll be safely reaching that branch." Your eyes glance upwards at the comment, narrowing ever so slightly. There have been very few times that you have ever, if ever, that you have questioned your stature, but lately it had seemed like you were growing into your body, filling out in all the right places without actually doing any growing. This is one of those times that being a giant would be helpful. You shift in your spot, caught between trying to be useful and coming up with no further viable ideas.

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Rhea Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

Spring was notorious for adding many more noises and sounds to the atmosphere as new creatures appeared from all angles. Babies seemed to run rampant during this season of lust and "love" making everyone turn a little crazy. While the birds made the most noise it was one that never really bothered her all that much unless it turned into screeching and incessant chirping like she was currently having to listen to. Eager to shut the bird up the hybrid wandered down to see what all the racket was about. Three others had already arrived by this time and were both standing there staring at the ground with a frantic robin hopping around their feet. Moving in a little closer to figure out the issue her eyes caught the blue egg resting upon the ground, well that would certainly explain the racket.  

Standing there the girl listened to the ideas the other two had come up with to see if anything actually sounded logical. Neither of the pair before her had wings making their options rather limited but lucky for them she had arrived to save the day. "How do you figure that a sling would get the egg back up safely? The nest is much too high for us to reach it from here. Also I really don't think building a nest around it down here was quite what its mother had in mind. " The nest was much too high for them to reach on foot and leaving it on the ground was too dangerous so what was the plan for solving these conundrums? Gauging the distance between the egg and nest she vaguely wondered if she could just hover high enough to slip the egg back where it belonged? The problem with her trying to hover underneath the tree would be watching to ensure her wings did not get tangled or caught upon the branches. 

"What do you think about slinging the egg in something that its mother can help support instead? If it is too far to from the ground to the nest I could try lifting it as high as I can using my wing and Mrs Robin could take it the rest of the way up?" Casting a glance between her three... well technically four acquaintances she wondered what their thoughts were on the matter. Turning her head to gaze around she tried to think of something that might be able to support the tiny thing that was strong enough but also light enough for the Robin to lift. Perhaps some type of vegetation might do the trick...

•• TAGS: Demothi, Zunden •• NOTES: Hope you guys don't mind me joining in. ••
Picture Credits
[Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
Please Tag Rhea In All Threads
Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.
Icon base: Bronzehalo

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The mother robin, overwrought, continued her pleading within the forest, but to her relief, mere moments later came a larger being – one of those unicorns always prancing about- with strange, multi-colored eyes and questions floating through the air. In no place to judge, she had after all, knocked her own egg out of the nest, the tiny bird fluttered down towards her fallen child and courted a few sad songs. “Oh yes, child. I would greatly appreciate that!”

The question remaining was: how?

She didn’t seem to possess any tools. The next one arriving, a large male, didn’t offer much support at first either (don’t fret – good heavens, what on earth am I supposed to do?). In truth, there were some snippets where she yearned to perhaps glide along his nose and peck him, air her frustrations through violence and movement, but neither would have done anyone any good (and he certainly wouldn’t help her then – and her egg was the most important thing now). She nodded to him, listening – not really sure what a sling was, but it sounded more promising than losing all of her feathers.

Another woman, announced whatever his proposal was could hurt her egg, and she immediately flew back down to it and threw her body across its form. Good heavens, were these creatures going to help or hinder? The way they conversed was hopeful, and then dreadful, and it was searing on her nerves. And a nest on the ground? Where there could be predators? Oh, this one had obviously not raised any children! “Goodness! If I were to leave my babe on the ground, it wouldn’t last long! Hunters would take it.” She narrowed her eyes, speculative, wondering if perhaps even these horses were one of the beasts willing to take her child for themselves…

But perhaps serenity and heaven came in the form of the winged maiden! At the very least, she’d be able to fly! And she was much bigger than herself! The suggestion of her tool was a grand idea too – and the robin wouldn’t have to leave her egg on the ground. “Can we try that, please?” Her eyes snatched on some long twigs and stems, and hastily fluttered to them, grabbing hold with her beak to demonstrate their strength. “Maybe these?,” she spoke with a mouthful of vegetation, but not enough brawn to snap or pull them back. 

Rhea Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

Raising an eye as she awaited the opinions of the other three oh so smart idea planners she tried to wait patiently for someone to say something. Taking the time to examine the twigs and stems that the mother robin had suggested she flicked her tail with mild annoyance when the others still had not answered a single thing that had been said. These materials would probably work well but now the only problem seemed to be tying the small strands together so that they would not simply fall apart the second it was lifted. "If any of you geniuses have anything to throw in please do so." She commented sarcastically not lifting her eyes from the Robin and her egg to look at her other herd mates in which the comment was directed. 

Nodding in agreeance to the mother Robin she carefully reached down to pull the materials from the ground so they could at least start trying to help instead of just standing here. Fiddling with the twigs and that for a moment to see how well they could be formed into something an idea began to take form. The mother bird was obviously talented with making nests perhaps if she could make a smaller version to roll the egg into they could form the straps around it to support it. Yes that might just work she mused knowing that any of them were way to big to try and tie the pieces strand by strand and have any sort of success. "Do you think you could make a smaller nest like the one you used up there? We could use it as a basket to help lift your egg up and then use the longer pieces to form straps around the small nest so that it does not fall out." She asked starting to really get into this whole helping others plan. 

The long pieces might be able to be twisted together at the top to form a handle of some sort but then there was a matter of distance. Gazing back up to where the nest was she tried to figure out how far it was from point a to point b. Carefully moving herself underneath the tree, taking care to place her feet well away from the precious egg and its mother, she unfolded her wings to try and see how far up she could reach. It was difficult to stretch her wing up towards the sky and crane her neck around trying to see where it could reach to but she figured it couldn't be too far off. If needed she could even try to stand on her hind feet and balance her front hooves against the bark to reach higher. That or one of the others could volunteer to be a step stool but she was less than optimistic that that would happen despite it being highly amusing to herself. 

•• TAGS: @Zünden , @Enna , @Demothi •• NOTES: Posted again as no one else had responded since Aug 25/15 ••

“Just because it looks like a leprechaun and talks like a leprechaun, it doesn't mean it can't act like the little fucking demon it is.”
Table by Moonstone Designs   Image by click <3

@Zünden  , @Enna , @Demothi, @NPC
[Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
Please Tag Rhea In All Threads
Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.
Icon base: Bronzehalo