the Rift

[OPEN] and it hurts with every heartbeat

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
I'm like a prayer you whisper from your window to the world

A strong wind came sweeping up from the south and set the powdery snow swirling around them until all they could see of each other were darker outlines among the white. It was cold enough to make a black mare shudder weakly as icy fingers searched their way in beneath thick winter coat and shimmering blackbird feathers, but the child only smiled and laughed as she leaped around, trying to catch imaginary monsters she saw in the snow. To her the wind felt only cool, a refreshing change from the stillness that ruled on the vast, seemingly endless plains. It wasn't even that cold anymore, not like it had been before. There was a warmer edge to the wind now, a scent and a new vibration within it that promised change. She didn't know what it might be. She had only been in this world for a few measly days, but even so she was eager to find out what it might be.

The landscape was slowly changing around them. From steep and towering mountains the small group had traveled across a narrow land bridge where the ocean thrashed and pummeled the frozen shore and up onto these wide-spanning wastelands where little, if any shelter could be found from the howling winds. For an eternity, it seemed, they had walked, on and on and on, the black mare and the white stallion and the other, the extra, who belonged yet not in the same way as she or Mother or Father did. She didn't really understand that, and no one had explained it. She didn't know where they were going either, only that they had to hurry.
Now, on the vast horizon, something new had appeared. Way off to the north and a little to the east, like a dark outline against the slowly rising sun, were jagged peaks that glistened with ice and light.

Something wonderful and slightly painful expanded in her chest as she looked at the distant mountains. Like sweet tears she hadn't cried yet, like the first sip of Mother's milk when she was really hungry or like falling asleep curled up next to Father's long legs; it was a feeling she both liked very much and loathed, because somehow it made the girl feel weak.

"Moma, there!" The filly turned and rushed down from the slight elevation she had clambered up onto previously, squealing in terrified delight as the tiny hooves slipped and skidded and dragged up another cloud of snow in the faces of the others. She had to stop and breathe and cough before she could tell the patient mare what it was that made her so excited, but when she was able to convey the message of the glittering peaks she was rewarded with a warm smile and an even warmer hug, one that burned right through her icy flesh and frosted lashes and melted her heart into a warm puddle of goo.

She beamed back, proud to have caused such an expression of relief and animation over her mothers weary face, and she turned to Father with the downy wings flapping in excitement to receive more information.

"Wha's tha?" she asked eagerly, looking back and forth between the white stallion with the blue-tipped spear and the pulling mountains.  "We go there?"

For that much she had understood. Mother was already making ready to continue again after the brief rest, a new sort of determination coming to light in her vibrant eyes, and the direction she headed in would definitely lead them to her discovery. The filly was not objecting; she bounced up to the side of her Shadow after sparing a smile at the extra, the tagalong, and obediently stayed there as they walked. But her thoughts soared on ahead, dreaming up wild fantasies of what might be among those shimmering peaks, and who they might meet once they got there.

It was morning now, but come sunset those towering mountains would have grown much taller indeed, and with the darkening sky as backdrop they looked far less welcoming. By that time the girl would walk pressed against her mother's side, peering with wide eyes at the giant mechanics that loomed up ahead... and for the first time in her life she would find that she wasn't at all eager to walk any further. This adventure couldn't possibly be fun, and she couldn't believe that it would ever end well.

Lines by Darya87

@Vadim @Badger @Thranduil  Open

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Badger Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Gelding :: Equine :: 15'2hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
TOOO FIRST PERSON I GOOOO

B A D G E R

No, no, I'll come with you. You might need me if the bleeding starts again. That's what I'd said when Shadow pointed out that I didn't have to come to this Basin with them, and for a moment I'd considered trundling off from whence I came. But I wanted to see this job through - I wanted to be here until the bitter end, to make sure both mare and foal were safe.  So I'd come. The black pegasus had told me I saved her life, and the compliment had filled me with a warm glow. I did good. For the first time in my life, I did something right. I helped, I saved. Perhaps I had finally found my calling.

However, the further we continue into this icy, inhospitable territory, the more I begin to wonder if I made the right decision. Our journey has been a long one, and I have felt like the odd one out. I am intruding on their little family, their perfect clan of sire, dam, and daughter. I try to walk a short distance away from them to give them space, and as much as I want to frolic around with the filly, I resist. She is not my child, and I shouldn't be hogging these precious formative days of hers, as much as I want to. But I can't help it - being around this small, dysfunctional family almost makes up for the fact I can never have my own. I live vicariously through them, and I enjoy every moment I spend with them. I might be cold, hungry and tired, but a part of me wants to prolong this journey as long as possible.

The rest of me doesn't, because yes, I am cold, hungry and tired. And this place is scary, ominous and creepy in equal measure. My flesh quivers with fear and cold alike, and my ears stay plastered to my head. But I stay, because I will see this through. I will see this little family away to their happy ending, and then I will head home with a smile on my face at the sight of a job well done. Or so I tell myself.

I watch the hybrid filly bound ahead, and I chuckle despite myself. Heavens, she is adorable. Had I been so carefree and adventurous at her age? I must have been - I doubt I was a grumpy old man wearied by life's miseries when I first fell from my mother's womb. But, as the mountains grow larger and seem to open their arms for us like a demon's embrace, the filly seems to revert back to a shy baby, pressing against her mother's side for the comfort only a dam can give. I feel a pang of empathy for her, but I know her mother will treat her well, and when she has to leave it will hopefully not be traumatic. Not like me - I had been taken from my mother far too young, and oh, how I had complained! How I had cried, and galloped up and down my fence to try and reach her! We had been reunited years later, when I was broken and gelded and humanized, but it wasn't the same. I hope this little white darling gets to stay with her dam for as long as she wants.

I look to the rest of my group, trusting them to take the lead. I am just the hired help; I just want to see them safe, then I'll go and leave them to their future. I look encouragingly to the filly, then offer shy smiles to Shadow and the unicorn stallion, waiting to see if they will venture further in or hang back to be greeted by a herd resident. "" 

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

The journey stood out in her mind as a very long nightmare, a hazy memory of pain, weakness and penetrating cold, of endless fields of white that gradually lost their beauty as her strength faded. It seemed to the mare that the scent of blood clung to her entirety, to every down and feather, every strand of hair, every nook and cranny of her body. She felt tainted, unclean, as if it was an illness that had grabbed hold of her and not the aftermath of a difficult birth. Fever clouded her mind in a haze of sensitivity, time played tricks on her and laughed her in the face; her only comforts were the small filly that bounded by her side, Vadim, the strong, safe, comforting soul who seemed to always be just where she needed him to be, and their odd-man-out shadow, the badger who followed in their tracks as faithfully as if he were a companion soul like Vlasi. Shadow wanted to thank him for coming with them. Surely his herbs had saved her many times by now, the foul dry leaves that she hated with a fervor but who stilled the flow of blood into a drip, a trickle, no more than red stains upon the snow. That she continued to bleed despite his best efforts was not his fault. She didn't, couldn't blame him for that, nor for hanging back and speaking so very little along the way. How must it not feel to be a stranger amidst a family on a mission?

"The girl needs a name" she remembered saying weakly to both stallions at some point, as they huddled together at dawn, sparing precious minutes in order for said girl to eat and rest. "Would you give her one?" She had smiled at Badger then, willing to accept his suggestions too - she didn't have energy to spare for whatever hurt feelings Vadim might have about that.

She couldn't remember who the suggestion had come from now. Either way it was a good one. Erthë... a strong name, yet just as pretty as her.

Erthë seemed to take well to the gelding healer. Called him 'uncle' and went as often to him as to Vadim or herself for company and comfort, and the mare made no attempts to keep her from it. If only she hadn't been so weak...

Alas. If she had been strong, they wouldn't have been out here in the cold and ice in the first place.

She was but a shadow of her normal self by the time they reached the main passage into the Aurora Basin. What little strength she had left was nearly spent comforting her child as the sentries came into view; she pitied the quivering girl that clung to her side, and quite agreed with her even though the blackbird didn't let it show. The last time she had been in there... but she couldn't doubt now.

"Hello?" she called, raising her exhausted voice as much as she could in the direction of the sentries. She didn't know what function they filled, whether decorative (hardly, they were only big and clumsy and imposing) or informative - or perhaps safeguarding? Either way they or some mortal beyond them would hopefully hear, and listen to her plea.

"I am Shadow, I come seeking aid. A healer, shelter, food... please?"

She wouldn't survive a journey back across the ice. If they turned her away here... everything would be over.

@Vadim @Thranduil

shadow

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Vadim Posts: 106
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Vlasi :: Common Rougarou :: Water ali
 Vadim

hello teacher tell me whats my lesson

look right through me
                                                                     look right through me

Vadim is quiet for most of the journey and it is mostly due to the fact that he is unsure that going to the Basin is the wisest choice. He thinks they would be better in the long run going to the Edge, but the stallion holds his tongue because the Basin is closer. Vlasi senses her bonded's unease and she looks to him and tries her best to reassure him through their mental connection that everything will be fine, but it does little to help with Vadim's unease.

He is only roused from his silence when Shadow says that they need to name their daughter. It confuses him because is it not the mother who names the child? Still, he looks from Shadow to their newborn, his head tilting to the side as he takes on the impossible task of naming his daughter. Name after name slips through his mind before one finally tumbles past his lips. "Erthë." And much to his surprise Shadow does not object to the name and so he assumes that she's accepted his choice.

Erthë.

She is a bundle of energy, running and playing, asking questions and looking at the world through wide, innocent eyes. She reminds him of himself and he hopes with everything he has that she won't become withdrawn and solemn, that she'll continue to be vivacious as she reaches adulthood.

"Wha's tha? We go there?"

"Mountains." He answers his daughter's question, his own gaze following her's. "We go there." He repeats and he smiles as he reaches to touch his muzzle against the fuzzy forelock between her ears.

They reach their destination far sooner than Vadim anticipates and Shadow calls out for someone, anyone really to come and meet them. He worries, then, over who will come or if anyone will come because if no one shows then their journey was for nothing.

"Erthë."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk
Thranduil

It was Birdsong again. It sure didn’t feel like it. Golden coat shivers, and his crowned head reaches back to pull his wolf cloak more over his back. Spring was supposed to be when hibernating bears, and slow creature awake and renew themselves, but all he wanted to do slip back into his cave. Unfortunately there were two things that stopped him from that. First, his stomach groaned with the strain of winter. Second, the black shape beside him. Haldir may look complete different, but he was always the first to get cabin fever. Especially as the birds. Haldir had missed their happy songs in the cold dreary mornings. He stands now off to the side, with his head high, crowned now in the sharp full tines of his kind, watching a few flirt about the sky in the evening. The gold pauses a moment to look upon his frame. He was no longer a small fawn, or even a deer, but a stag. Full grown.

The golden snorts and turns away, damming the sentimental side of that observation. That dark stag had caused him a great many problems too. How many times this year had he been weighed down by the deer, or called somewhere he did not wish to go. Cloven hoof kicks about the snow with a bit more bitterness than before. Small dry sprigs lift their weary heads to the air, and hidden between then, a few tiny bits of green. Spring was indeed coming, and there was much to do about the land. That though was also a subject he did not wish to go over. The crown upon his head had now been given true meaning for a full season now. It hadn’t exactly been easy.

Unbeckoned, earth eyes glance to the direction of his cavern, thinking for a second about that day after the meeting with Hotaru. Harks now pin back too. He really did not wish to think of that. That moment was still mostly a blur. A strange, ill feeling blur. Overall it was easy to say, though he enjoyed some bits, most of the season was as dull and dark as the winter sky.

Haldir was first to move. He turns his crowned head back to the Arch, standing fully alert. The golden senses a change, a tension and curiosity. Not emotions that usually went together for the stag. “Man hain? [What is it?] ” His voice, gruff and annoyed. But just then a sounds reaches his ears and brings him his answer.

As the small group come closer the red eyes of the metal guardians glow brighter. The metal head, tall and large creak and grind turning toward the groups. Its echo reverberates on the mountainside, and draws the golden to look up. The unnatural sound drawing immediate tension and alertness. Those creatures did not move often, and certainly no without cause. “Haldir, tolo.” The command rises, and the two move out at a quick pace towards the Arch. The large metal creatures were not done with their warning though. One metal hoof rises high in the air with surprising fluidity and speed, and steps out, narrowing the path, and sending a firm warning. One hoof past, and the alarm would sound and hell descend. The Basin may seem dead and still, but it had its defenses, and was not hesitant to act.

They had been close to the Arch though, and the golden, pinned eared and narrowed eyes comes over the rise. The metal machines moves their legs back for him to pass, but they still gaze down upon the gathering. The golden is quick to take in the gathering, tense for the sight of so many.  But his nose is the first to find a clue. A bitter coopery smell he knew well surrounded the gathering. His eyes look about, and find one seeping out the smell. His eyes settle on a bird, dark small, and child of snow white glued to her side. He halts then, taken a bit back as he looks quickly to the others, not caring to hide his scrutinizing gaze. He was the lord here, the keeper, and the high hand. Whatever struggles he had handling that title other days, in moments like this, there was little doubt he could play it well.

There was a bare headed black equine who hung back and unicorn, white as the child, but marked in blue. Three against one, but he was not frightened, or threatened. It was hard to do that here. The wounded bird speaks and a sharp gaze shifts from inspecting to her. Only one hark comes up to hear her, while the other slides to trail onto the others. Shadow…he had never heard that name before. She admits her weakness, begging. A beggar, which such an entourage? It seemed strange suspicious. Perhaps just a mother and child, but this was a full family. Tasseled tail flicks at his sides, and he finally speaks, coldly as the wind. “I am Thranduil, Lord of the Basin” As he said it a dark figure rises into the scene from the valley and comes to stand beside him. Haldir looked over them himself, especially as he found the small white child his head lowers with a smile. It was the only warmth they were receiving.

Now don’t get the golden wrong. He was not like some of the old keepers here. Feathers and bare heads did not bother him in his flock. Not in the slightest. In fact, he sort of loved it like a guilty pleasure. He looked always for the wounded glances of those old bats as he continued to rock the boat. Yes rock, rock, rock the boat, till they all fall out. In fact here he had welcomed a black bird not long ago. But this was different. This wasn’t one bird, this was practically an invading force. It raised the hair on his back, and caused him to shift uneasily. He might let the unusual in, but it was not without a sharp inspection.

And unfortunately they were not passing the test well. Harks pin back and head rests high. “You ask too much. The mountains have not shelter for the weak, or multitude.” He passes another gaze over all of them. He lingers for a moment, but then turns and moves to stand beside the sentinels. He doesn’t even get his back turned before something cuts right through him.

”Al [No.]”

And the golden freezes midstep. That hadn’t been spoken aloud. That didn’t come from them. It spoke to him from the inside. From the same place where an invasion of resistance was rising. Slowly he moves his head to look back. Haldir had moved, he had gone to stand in front of the small group. “Haldir….” He speaks out, both in warning and confusion. ”Al [No]” He was talking. Talking to the golden, in his mind. Shaking his crowned head he tried his best to rid himself of it, but the power of the stag was stronger than ever now. His companion was one of the few who ever dared to stand up to him, and now he was telling him. Sharp eyes glance to the exhausted mother, then back to the deer. He did not want them to hear this struggle. It was bad enough they saw it. So he gathers strength and attacks the building resistance of his bond’s emotions, hoping it goes through. “Ogol. Al estel. [Evil. Not trust].” It was the deer’s turn to raise his head in surprise, and his ears to come forward. They had spoken.

Haldir was quicker than the gold. He moves, going to stand beside the child, his pale eyes narrowing with the cruelty of this move. Crowned head dips to the babe. He was not an idiot. He knew exactly what dark memories a babe could bring. ”Nesta. An din [Heal. For her.]” The golden’s teeth bare at the cruel play, wanting to lash out and drag his deer away for using that knowledge he had gained of his bonded against him. But the he could not evade the tactic, and a sore painful wound was re-found, which Haldir digging his antlers into it. “FARN [Enough]!” It came out in a yell. Cold and strong. The gold spun back to the valley and his voice lashed out across. “Lena! Enna!” He turns back quickly again, looking at the party. But he refuses to look at Haldir who moves to join him again, even as a meek, “Ma [Good]”, comes to him.

The golden looks at the whole group again. He snorts in agitation, but speaks low and calmer than expected.   “You may find aid here. We mend a beggar’s misstep north without much ill will, no matter who finds our door.” He glances to the wings about the wounded bird, then back to the group as a whole. “But you seem not just a beggar.” He seems to gather himself, collecting his body from the irritation of before. “To stay I must know more about you, all of you.” For once a smile comes over his lips, thinking once more of rocking the boat. “Feathers and bare heads may be welcomed now, but they still…unusual to see.” His smile drops though, and he turns back to the seeming leader of their group, the wounded bird with a cold eye. “Who are you, and what do you seek?” It was cold still. Though Haldir may have won one fight, smiling proudly looking at them, there was still much to be answered before.

They were lucky honestly. Had he known of the wounded bird’s first attempts to rest in this place not even Haldir’s argument may have been enough. They were in fact, walking on thinner ice than before. One wrong tale, or ill placed thought would see them out into the cold again, worse than when they came in.  At least now though they had a fighting chance. They be given the healing aid, and an opportunity to explain themselves. Such a break of luck was rare in the hard landscape among wolves. They best use it wisely.

OOC ::Haldir and Thranduil are speaking through their bond now! Hooray!
"Speech"

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the waterspout.
Down came the rain
and washed the spider out.
Image credit.

@Shadow @Vadim @Badger @Enna @Ashamin

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather
Lena
I'm buried and covered peaceful under millions of stars
The early morning gave rise to a beautiful sun, and instead of sleeping, Lena and Imogen spent their hours carefully tending to their cave. The winter’s reign had ceased, and with it came the promise of spring’s earthly riches; some they’d already collected where burrowed and buried in the back of the grotto, awaiting to be awakened, to become immersed in the splendor of Birdsong. They dragged each out carefully, one-by-one, laying them out amidst the luminescent rays and uncovered soil: some peppermint, pine, Labrador tea, rich chamomile and common dandelion, permitting them to stretch beneath the beautiful light and unwind from their long slumber. Eventually they’d be cast into a garden, tended to as they sprouted and blossomed, then cultivated and picked for the ones who needed them most. Even the foxglove and yew, though poisonous, were treated with tender, loving care, and thereafter Lena gazed down at them with a fond smile and a proud heart, delighted to see progress had been made on a curling, plumed dream –

- A summons rankled over the horizon, and the beautiful grin flanking her lips became lost in the midst of confusion and mystery. Imogen’s ears listened, flickered, and her cunning, fox eyes narrowed to a degree of speculation, while Lena’s thoughts ran a small gambit of possibilities. The voice had not been the Reaper’s, nor Hotaru’s, only that of Thranduil, and it could mean anything (was she required for something sinister or beneficial?) – she recalled watching him strip pelts from wolves’ hides, and resisted the shudder threatening to flow through her frame. She was initially hesitant, staring over at the blessed, beatific plants, not wishing to leave them without proper tending, but Imogen rolled her eyes and promised them safekeeping until she returned. A proper sense of gratitude filled them both – before the Songbird began her flight towards the borders.

The nymph regarded her lands with a flutter, with a dance, with strides simmering over the grounds, rushed and consuming, layering them with righteous hymns and glorified songs, but without the purpose behind the zeal, the hums were less forth-coming, more intrigued, more bemused. Was there some trouble at the fringe? Had someone been hurt? Was the Laurelin injured, or perhaps newcomers, strangers in the midst? As she approached, gained earth and ground, the scene became a curious faction: pictures of the unknown, of the foreign, an ivory child laced with wings, a blackened equine alongside an ivory beast, Thranduil playing court – and there, a creature she hadn’t seen in years but remembered from days spent flickering in the wind: Shadow. Their meeting had been so brief, so stilted, so very awkward and rigid, but the naiad recalled the face, and could only hazard a guess the babe nestled at her side was hers. She performed her respectful nods towards each individual, hushed the ringing in her ears, the questions across her tongue (why were they here? What did they need?), and conjured warmth instead of endless prying. “Congratulations,” she murmured past a warm smile and an intrigued turn, tilt, of her head, before performing another act of salvation and hope, for the mare was truly a shadow of her old self, and Lena could gleam the reason for her distress was the youth at her feet. “Enna and I can heal you,” and she turned towards the sound of the other Mender coming, eager to perform their blessings together.

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
At first it is the unnatural sound of what you can only assume to be metal grinding against itself, given the direction the noise comes from. For a moment you pause in your little stroll around the never-freezing lake, your body taught against the easiness of the morning as you listen intently for any further sound, any sign of distress. In the months that you had spent in the Basin you hadn’t ever heard any sound like it, and the purpose of the Sentinels has your heart in a spasm. The expanse of thawing snow, growing grasses and the budding trees, along with piles of snow much too high still, nothing of significance stirs, and for a split second you are content with writing off the incident as your restless mind playing tricks on you. That is, until the voice of a wolf rings out clearly, calling both for Lena and you. Without a moment’s hesitation you fall into a rush, panic seizing your mind for what could await you. Had he been injured? Why wouldn’t he have called for protection if it had been something that was potentially dangerous?

The second question is dismissed easily, the thought of what you had taken as pride during the few times you had interacted with him possibly being reason enough for him to do just the opposite and try to fight whatever it was off on his own. It is only then that you catch a glimpse of the Nymph, her seeming ease working wonders to quell the anxiousness rising like a tide within you. And so you follow her, like you have since you have known her, just a fraction of doubt harboring concern for her well-being, charging in to the unknown. You cannot deny the sense of relief that washes over you then at the sight of your wolf-lord and his little deer (possibly the first and last time this would ever happen, you muse. And when had little Haldir gotten so big?) as you near the end of the incline, and their obvious well-being, despite the scent of blood.

You offer a slight nod of your head in acknowledgement before it snaps to the little group gathered on the doorstep to the Basin, taking only seconds to pinpoint exactly where the coppery smell is emitting from. Where Lena offers warmth you offer nothing, your gaze as it passes over each face devoid of anything but slight suspicion, curious as to how they ended up here when there must have been other, more accessible and appropriate (you look to the child then, your face softening ever so slightly, who seems perfectly pleased as children often do, and you grimace, unsure if taking her through the snow, along the path that possesses so many dangers was the most wise choice on the adults’ part) places for them to seek help. However, you relinquish your misgivings easily, finally offering a smile, albeit tempered with just the slightest bit of caution. No words of congratulations or comfort are offered, for you assume that they have already been given and could be saved for the end of this little meeting, when your job is done. You look to Lena then, the small, fragile grin broadening as you wait for further instruction, for no reason other than her being your mentor of sorts, your superior in so many more ways than just this one.

* i apologize for dragging this out kinda. i dont think she would take charge with lena being there, so ><
@Shadow

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
I'm like a prayer you whisper from your window to the world

She stared in awe at the golden stallion as he emerged from the shadow of the mountains. In all her short days of life she had never seen anyone as grand as this person. Her father might be taller, but there was an air about the golden man that seemed to shout that he was both stronger and more important, and the impressive regalia that crowned him and the pretty deer that flanked him practically hammered this point down. Erthë quivered under the weight of his gaze as it swept from her mother to her and over the rest of the group, unsettled by the hard expression. Was he angry at them for being there? Should they not have come?

He spoke, and she strained her mind to understand what he was saying. 'Lord' was a word she had no concept of but instinctively she knew that it was important; she could feel her mother tense and hold her breath, and threw the shadow mare a curious glance to see why this bothered her. But the mare's face was impassive, unreadable, and so the child was left to decipher the meaning herself, without any clues. The horn-crowned, Thra.. thrandu.. anyway, he continued to say something and this time she too felt something cold and heavy and hopeless come over her that made her cling even closer to Mother's side, because didn't 'ask too much' mean no? Meaning, he wasn't going to help Mother?

Something thick and hard to swallow gathered in her throat that was both sad and angry. Tears threatened to well into the ocean-green eyes and Erthë was just about to say something, apologize or object - she wasn't sure which - when suddenly the golden one turned his head sharply and addressed the young stag. The foal stilled, taken aback by the quiet conversation; she could see the intensity with which they stared at one another, like when Father talked to Vlasi in his mind and Vlasi spoke back.

Wide-eyed she realized that the Lord was growing more and more agitated, and suddenly the deer was moving, walking towards her. Mother tensed visibly this time with ears flattening against the neck in warning, but the dark creature did nothing; it simply placed itself by the side of the white fawn, who gazed up at it in quiet admiration. When it lowered its head towards her she giggled in surprise and tried to touch her nose to its muzzle; it was so pretty, and looked so kind, very much in contrast to the palomino unicorn.

Erthë flinched when the man suddenly screamed and stared in wide eyed amazement as he then turned and shouted behind him, his voice echoing against the mountainside. She pawed the snow, confused at the sudden change of tone as he continued; he looked angry still, but the words he used were different now.

It was all very strange. Mother seemed both relieved and oddly cautious as she listened, and this didn't change a bit as two grown up mares came hurrying from within the valley beyond, both pretty and kind eyed and rather business like. She noticed one of them looking at her and smiled shyly, a brief and rather impatient twitch of the lips that fell away as she stretched her neck and tried to look further into the passage to discern what lay beyond.

Were they going to help Mother after all? Were they all going to be let inside? The thin tail curled in quiet agitation as she tried to contain her excitement, the adventure in the situation overtaking her worry now that the adults were talking instead of shouting. But it was all very boring, couldn't they hurry up a bit?

Lines by Darya87

@Badger @Vadim @Thranduil

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Badger Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Gelding :: Equine :: 15'2hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow

B A D G E R

I hadn't been able to believe it when Shadow gave me the opportunity to name her child. I hadn't taken her up on it - because how could I take that privilege away from her father? - but to even be asked had made me quiver with gratitude. I will never get to name a foal of my own, so to be offered for someone else's...it makes my heart ache with unsaid thanks.

Shadow asks for shelter and a healer, and my ears flip back slightly, nervous. What if the herd's residents don't take kindly to her pleads? Worse, what if nobody comes at all and we have to trudge halfway across the world to find somewhere else? I don't know if she or little Erthe will survive that journey. But finally, someone comes. He is larger than me, and horned; he also has one of those lovely deer things beside him, and I feel my heart yearn for the egg I missed out on. He introduces himself as Thranduil, a Lord, and I pray he will be able to help us. But his words are not kind, and they are not the words I hoped for. He turns and moves towards the great metal statues that I have been desperately trying not to look at, and I think that is it - we have been turned away. My head hangs, dejected. But then...then he changes his mind. I perk up, my tired head lifting, my ears pressing forwards.

He asks us all to tell him more about each of us, and I feel my flesh shudder anxiously at the idea of having to speak about myself in front of a group. Although Thranduil then addresses Shadow, his earlier question is unanswered, and I finally steel myself enough to speak. "My name is Badger, a Healer of the Dragon's Throat. I am no relation of those you see beside me, but I helped heal Shadow with herbs when she bled badly during childbirth. However, I know my mediocre knowledge of herbal healing is nothing compared to an actual magical healer, so I have come with them to make sure they get the help they need, and offer any assistance I can towards their aid." To see this job through.

Another arrives, this one a horned mare. She introduces herself as Lena, and congratulates Shadow on her birth. I can't help but beam at the kind words, even though the child is not my own. She states that she and someone named Enna can help heal, and I fully intend to watch closely. Even if I have no magic, perhaps these two mares have a technique that I could use in the future? One that will further my ability to fix the cuts and scrapes of Helovia. Enna herself soon arrives, an antlered woman who seems cold in contrast with Lena's warmth. I have noticed that all the Basin's residents seem to be horned, and the thought makes one of my hooves paw against the ground anxiously. What if they will sabotage the healing of Erthe and Shadow because we are not horned like them? Well, Vadim is, but he has bred with a pegasus - that could be the Helovian equivalent of a hanging offence.

But I trust them to do their best, because no healer will willingly hurt, surely? I bat one ear back, then flit my gaze between all the gathered horses, curious what will happen next.

@Shadow

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Tense minutes passed by as they waited. Shadow kept eying the looming, warding automata's with suspicion and by the time the golden unicorn appeared between the guardians she breathed a sigh of relief. It only lasted for so long however. The stallion, donned in wolf-skin cloaks and fine jewelry introduced himself as Lord, something that immediately caused the shadow-spun mare to grow stiff. This wasn't good, what were the odds that the little self-assured brat of a noble from before hadn't spilled the beans on her thoughtless pranks? Less than she would have liked, no doubt, and this was not good when so much was at stake.

Cursing her own foolishness Shadow gritted her teeth as she regarded the host, feeling despair mount within as he seemed about to reject her request. She pressed her lips together to suppress the exhaustion and fear, maintaining the calm, impassive face as though her life depended on it (and it very well might) and steeled herself for the humiliating pleading she would have to subject herself to...

... and then, through some miracle, the cloaked one changed his mind. Something had happened between the Lord and his follower, the dark young deer-like creature, a quiet argument from the looks of it, and in the end the stallion had been forced to yield. Violet eyes regarded the stag warily where it had placed itself, a bit too close to her daughter to be entirely comfortable, but as the cold-skinned filly seemed more intrigued than frightened the mare allowed its presence. Keeping one eye on the odd duo she returned her attention to the conversation at hand, torn between hope and disbelief when the name of two others were called into the hidden vale.

Her trial was far from over however. Thranduil, as he had named himself, asked for them to state their purpose. Again? Hadn't she already stated her purpose? To have to reveal more... wouldn't be good. Not in any way; Shadow didn't have the kind of history that would be looked upon with kind eyes by any leader of Aurora Basin. Nibbling her lips in concern she turned an ear in the direction of Badger as he complied, her heart warming at the loyalty of the unfortunate gelding. She was surprised to hear which herd he came from and had to restrain an urge to smile; if things had been different they might have been allies, comrades, family... well, not that she didn't consider him almost kin anyway, for everything he had done for her already.

Question was, would this be the right time to confess to holding similar allegiances? She didn't know what the political landscape looked like now a days, what kind of tensions or treaties there might be between Throat and Basin. Members of this herd had showed up in and been welcome at the Falls during a winter celebrations so something must have changed since she left the herd... but she couldn't believe that Midas or Gaucho would ever welcome an alliance.

The mare made a quick decision and inclined her head to Thranduil with utmost politeness, weighing her words carefully as she picked up where Badger left off.

"I am Shadow, this is my daughter Erthë. Many years ago I served as informant to the Dragon's Throat, but severed ties with them ever since they failed to protect my firstborn son. Until I met Vadim here I have been searching for traces of his whereabouts... so far to no avail." Her weary voice dropped, unable to fully hide the pain of her loss, nor the anger as she highlighted the Throat's part in the affair. All true, of course; lying at this point would be complete idiocy.

"As I stated, I only seek healing for my wounds and a place to rest..."

Beside her the foal coughed, a dry and painful sound . As always it sent stabs of worry through her heart, and Shadow hesitated. She exchanged a long, uncertain look with her mate, not sure whether this would be the best course of action, but before he could object she continued, heart ponding frantically in her chest.

"...but... As you can see my daughter is young, and quite frail. If you could find it in your heart to let us stay, at least until she has grown stronger..? I would do anything to be worthy of such mercy."

She was making a bargain with the devil, no doubt. Secretly the blackbird shared her lover's sentiments, any herd would have been better than the Basin. But could she really risk the long, dangerous trek back across the ice and the mountains to reach the Falls? Was it responsible to drag a young, sickly foal around in the wilderness, where only herself and Vadim could protect them all from predators, illness, the fury of the elements?

The Basin was dangerous too, but it was a different kind of danger and Shadow believed herself more capable of dealing with racism and scorn than all the other things together. If selling her services to the enemy meant that her daughter would live then that was what she would do.

If only she could know what Vadim would do... He had been so quiet all this time, even more so than usual. Did he disagree? Would he back her up, would he stay with her in this gamble?

She wanted to ask him but didn't dare look away from the Basin Lord.

The owners of the names arrived as she spoke. Greeting them both with respectful nods she let her gaze linger on the bay mare, at first only relieved at the kind congratulations but with increasing interest as Shadow realized that the gentle features and soft gaze was familiar. Wracking her brain she hesitated, then offered a name with a hesitant smile, not sure it was the right one.

"L-Lena?" she tried. "It is, isn't it. Long time no see; you look well." She arched her neck, more tired and far weaker than she wanted to let them see. These conversations were draining what little strength she had left; she made to lean discreetly against Vadim, seeking his solid, comfortable shoulder to keep herself upright.

"Thank you. If it is you then I know I will be fine."

She closed her eyes for a moment, hoping they would be let inside soon - or thoroughly dismissed, so that she could find a better place to die than on the threshold of this godforsaken valley.

shadow

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk
Thranduil

Much to the luck of the gathering the arrival of Lena and Enna was both swift and more welcoming. Haldir was the only glad one to see them however. His dark tail wagged and his grin turned to them now. He was still very much pleased with himself. The golden however was still ignoring him completely. As the healers gather round and aid the wounded bird the golden only stands looking them over with the same underlying irritation and suspicion. For a moment no one seems to speak. The healers were busy and all must be gathering their long twisting tales, the golden presumed.

Finally the bare headed creature speaks up. The crowned head finds the creature in a rather cold stare, but it softens. Not exactly for the warm feeling that came from hearing of such a kind soul but of the tiny mention of the Throat. As far as the golden knew relations to that herd were supposed to stand, though he had never heard back from Deimos on that point. His last visit there he had tried to keep off the topic. Still, it peaked the situation, and luckily for the others present, acted like a rare collar on the golden.

Not that he shows much pleasantness because of it. Instead the golden nods to the dark creature. “Our allies are always welcome.” Better to assume they were still allies rather than not. Surely if Deimos had been given a negative answer he would have heard of it. Yet another thought of that dark devil bristled his mind, there was still unfinished business between the two of them. He speaks again, the sly pleasure in his voice rolling out in more easing tones. “You are welcome then Badger to visit and talk with our healers and rest before your long return.”
It was a pleasant phrase but still slightly cold and formal coming from the golden.

Next up to bat was the mare. The crowned head turned coldly to her next, though it refused to look at the child. Even the mention of the Throat did not gain her the same as it did for the equine. She had severed ties with them. If anything it made the devilish man laugh in the inside to think of the Throat failing. Of course that didn’t excuse her for flouncing off into baby making again. And her pleas for her child also fell on slightly deaf ears. If he hadn’t deafened them it perhaps would have struck the same tender nerve wracking chord the deer had hit, and he wasn’t about to expose it again. So the golden was on his guard, ready to twist and manipulate his own thoughts to a safer area. For the moment he said nothing.

The final follower of the group said nothing, but was linked as Vadim, the father of the snow child. As the healers go closer with their more pleasant features the gold only looks about the group again then down in thought. Their excuses seemed fair enough, but the reek of desperation made his very skin crawl. Still with a member of the Throat looking on he couldn’t very well say no could he. The image of this herd was fragile as it was. Lashing out his tasseled tail the golden snorts looking up again, a sign of decision. “Very well. You may stay.” He still did not trust this desperate group, and the strange circumstances that found them here of all places.

Shifting the golden moved to turn away, but his sight trailed on the wounded mother bird. Earth eyes watching as the bird recognizes sweet thing. A cold light gleaming in their depths. “If however any ill will follows you here, know you have to answer to me.” A smile grows, vicious and hard, as it glances to the two healers growing busy with their work. “I will not tolerate threats to this family.” The replacement of ‘my’ for ‘this’ forced by his nature, but the same strength behind it remained. Turning the golden heads back down to the valley, ending the discussion of the issue. He did not want to wait for the groveling of thanks. From some mouths it was like a sweet liquor, from this mare it threatened to sting like whiskey. So he leaves before, once again ignoring the deer that came trotting behind him. Now THAT was going to be an interesting conversation later.

OOC :: I'll leave you to change your rank to whatever/whoever prefers
"Speech"

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the waterspout.
Down came the rain
and washed the spider out.
Image credit.

@Shadow @Vadim @Badger @Enna
@Lena

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather
Lena
I'm buried and covered peaceful under millions of stars
The lithe femme, with her magnanimous heart, with her compassion and bounteous personality, held no reservations towards the promise of herd politics, with the crinkling, demonstrative, fervent edges of zeal and contempt. She registered their laments, their strains, their broken, dissolved hallelujahs and composed the art, the crescendo, the orchestrate, the symphony of her craft: winking, nodding, glimmering and shimmering with an elegant, polished light; fey whims and nymph wishes, reaching and plucking and stroking the fine fibers of magnificence. You look well,, a rush of memories, a finite glimpse into paths crossed and trails embraced, a promise rising, incensed, glorified, on revelations. “So will you.” Thereafter, the angelic chords began: she spun layers and layers of songs, trumpets, and cavalcades, an enriched, gilded, potent lacquer of allure and enticement – grand, fleeting, sweeping majestic tones, bewitching, haunting, a billowing rhapsody, a sonnets’ serenade, an enchanting rush into the world of nymphs and fairies. Her eyes closed, and Songbird interludes danced, beguiling down into the hallowed corners of haunted prowess, beating back poignant sores, vigilant pains, with the slightest whisper, the lightest flutter, of seraphic wings. Vigilant and guarding, warm and tender, beatific and grand, they strung airy, petal-soft armaments, wholesome and generous, combining and waltzing with Enna’s prowess, combining with hours and days and minutes and seconds, seasons and cycles, tempests and storms, the rush of the ocean and the golden snippets of summer, together, tied and anointed on threads and sanctuary. On spring’s waves she matched flying pitches and gliding tones, reaching for the finer webs of satin and coaxing its strings to pure splendor, rapture, reverence, and richness. On a glacier’s edge she wove taffeta and lace, puncturing decay and fierceness, the sharp, piercing, lacerations of fatigue, and bestowed absolution, sanctity, and sanctum, reaching and reaching and reaching until she could grasp no more, and the beautiful sway of the music, the elegant, refined oeuvre of ensnaring movements, ceased, ending on a mellifluous finale. Her eyes opened, Imogen chirped, and the brilliant, dazzling portrait of her smile floated on the wisps of air. “Welcome to the Basin.”

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
You are not surprised by the recognition from the blackbird, from the sweetness of the Songbird, nor the iciness bleeding from your wolf-lord in thick waves. What surprises you are his words as he turns to take his leave, as harshly as he no doubt had found the little group. You look to him for the tiniest fraction of a second before Lena begins singing, stealing your attention from the golden boy and back on to what you were summoned here to do. You do not step towards the woman or the group surrounding her flanks; do not offer her the warmth that you may have given everyone, everything, else. You simply close your eyes, breathing deeply as power wakes inside of you, reaching to permeate the blackbird’s torn flesh, tired bones; the dove-child’s tender newness, offering comfort from anything that may have plagued her. It is only as the song stops and she speaks that you withdrawal in to yourself, smiling to cover for the emptiness that you feel. You are happy to have helped them, happy to have soothed their hurts, but you cannot shake the distrust that lingers over your heart from the words of a man you hardly can tolerate. Surely they wouldn’t try to harm anyone here, after they had accepted help and begged for shelter? Your eyes narrow ever so slightly, a glance being tossed to Lena (seeking comfort, reassurance, or for your doubt to be amplified in her eyes) before looking back to each one of their faces in turn. “Yes, welcome, and congratulations. She is beautiful.” You can only hope that they wouldn’t, fear for the fate that awaits them should they find themselves tempted.

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death