the Rift

[OPEN] and it hurts with every heartbeat

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Tense minutes passed by as they waited. Shadow kept eying the looming, warding automata's with suspicion and by the time the golden unicorn appeared between the guardians she breathed a sigh of relief. It only lasted for so long however. The stallion, donned in wolf-skin cloaks and fine jewelry introduced himself as Lord, something that immediately caused the shadow-spun mare to grow stiff. This wasn't good, what were the odds that the little self-assured brat of a noble from before hadn't spilled the beans on her thoughtless pranks? Less than she would have liked, no doubt, and this was not good when so much was at stake.

Cursing her own foolishness Shadow gritted her teeth as she regarded the host, feeling despair mount within as he seemed about to reject her request. She pressed her lips together to suppress the exhaustion and fear, maintaining the calm, impassive face as though her life depended on it (and it very well might) and steeled herself for the humiliating pleading she would have to subject herself to...

... and then, through some miracle, the cloaked one changed his mind. Something had happened between the Lord and his follower, the dark young deer-like creature, a quiet argument from the looks of it, and in the end the stallion had been forced to yield. Violet eyes regarded the stag warily where it had placed itself, a bit too close to her daughter to be entirely comfortable, but as the cold-skinned filly seemed more intrigued than frightened the mare allowed its presence. Keeping one eye on the odd duo she returned her attention to the conversation at hand, torn between hope and disbelief when the name of two others were called into the hidden vale.

Her trial was far from over however. Thranduil, as he had named himself, asked for them to state their purpose. Again? Hadn't she already stated her purpose? To have to reveal more... wouldn't be good. Not in any way; Shadow didn't have the kind of history that would be looked upon with kind eyes by any leader of Aurora Basin. Nibbling her lips in concern she turned an ear in the direction of Badger as he complied, her heart warming at the loyalty of the unfortunate gelding. She was surprised to hear which herd he came from and had to restrain an urge to smile; if things had been different they might have been allies, comrades, family... well, not that she didn't consider him almost kin anyway, for everything he had done for her already.

Question was, would this be the right time to confess to holding similar allegiances? She didn't know what the political landscape looked like now a days, what kind of tensions or treaties there might be between Throat and Basin. Members of this herd had showed up in and been welcome at the Falls during a winter celebrations so something must have changed since she left the herd... but she couldn't believe that Midas or Gaucho would ever welcome an alliance.

The mare made a quick decision and inclined her head to Thranduil with utmost politeness, weighing her words carefully as she picked up where Badger left off.

"I am Shadow, this is my daughter Erthë. Many years ago I served as informant to the Dragon's Throat, but severed ties with them ever since they failed to protect my firstborn son. Until I met Vadim here I have been searching for traces of his whereabouts... so far to no avail." Her weary voice dropped, unable to fully hide the pain of her loss, nor the anger as she highlighted the Throat's part in the affair. All true, of course; lying at this point would be complete idiocy.

"As I stated, I only seek healing for my wounds and a place to rest..."

Beside her the foal coughed, a dry and painful sound . As always it sent stabs of worry through her heart, and Shadow hesitated. She exchanged a long, uncertain look with her mate, not sure whether this would be the best course of action, but before he could object she continued, heart ponding frantically in her chest.

"...but... As you can see my daughter is young, and quite frail. If you could find it in your heart to let us stay, at least until she has grown stronger..? I would do anything to be worthy of such mercy."

She was making a bargain with the devil, no doubt. Secretly the blackbird shared her lover's sentiments, any herd would have been better than the Basin. But could she really risk the long, dangerous trek back across the ice and the mountains to reach the Falls? Was it responsible to drag a young, sickly foal around in the wilderness, where only herself and Vadim could protect them all from predators, illness, the fury of the elements?

The Basin was dangerous too, but it was a different kind of danger and Shadow believed herself more capable of dealing with racism and scorn than all the other things together. If selling her services to the enemy meant that her daughter would live then that was what she would do.

If only she could know what Vadim would do... He had been so quiet all this time, even more so than usual. Did he disagree? Would he back her up, would he stay with her in this gamble?

She wanted to ask him but didn't dare look away from the Basin Lord.

The owners of the names arrived as she spoke. Greeting them both with respectful nods she let her gaze linger on the bay mare, at first only relieved at the kind congratulations but with increasing interest as Shadow realized that the gentle features and soft gaze was familiar. Wracking her brain she hesitated, then offered a name with a hesitant smile, not sure it was the right one.

"L-Lena?" she tried. "It is, isn't it. Long time no see; you look well." She arched her neck, more tired and far weaker than she wanted to let them see. These conversations were draining what little strength she had left; she made to lean discreetly against Vadim, seeking his solid, comfortable shoulder to keep herself upright.

"Thank you. If it is you then I know I will be fine."

She closed her eyes for a moment, hoping they would be let inside soon - or thoroughly dismissed, so that she could find a better place to die than on the threshold of this godforsaken valley.

shadow

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Messages In This Thread
and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Erthë - 08-19-2015, 03:43 AM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Badger - 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Shadow - 08-21-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Vadim - 08-21-2015, 11:13 AM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Lena - 08-23-2015, 09:02 AM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Enna - 08-23-2015, 05:15 PM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Erthë - 08-29-2015, 07:05 PM
RE: and it hurts with every heartbeat - by Badger - 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM