the Rift

Riding the Winds

Crystarius Posts: 13
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 10 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
armor laced with blood shall reclaim his name

Her glowing starry coat commands my attention when once more a silence blankets us. I'm drawn to her, much like the moth to the flame. But instead of seeing heat or warmth, I see heaven. Or what I could only imagine heaven looked like. She is light and softness whereas I am dark, cold and hard. A warrior through and through. The shifting of her coat is intriguing, mesmerizing. So much so that I almost miss the small smile curling her lips and the sorrow so clear behind it. Crimson eyes watch her, meeting the silver of her right eye before gazing to the left at the burned flesh surrounding a milky, cloudy eye. She likely couldn't see out of it now, nor would she be likely to ever see out of it again. Tucking the information away into the messy recesses of my brain, I made note to approach her from the right should we ever meet again beyond this night.

I listen carefully, her quiet voice sweet in my ears - a welcome change from the harsher voices I was used to back home in the Rift. One corner of my lip twitches upwards in a short-lived small half-smile. "A sense of invincibility is common with youth." I reply, my rough voice growing more gentle with further interaction. "You've seen far too much for someone your age." I add, though after a moment I expand on it - realizing that perhaps it wasn't going to send her the right message. "Haven't you, Seren?" It isn't meant as an insult, simply an observation. Her body still holds the soft, tenderness of younger years - years that I've long since passed. Mentally, though, she is older than she seems. I'd wager it was a result of learning many lessons the hard way and faster than anyone should.

She moves then, managing to pull herself up to stand a bit straighter. The movement is so simple, so basic yet it brings a smile to my face. She's a fighter, stronger than she believes herself to be. The bear's hide is draped over her back - white, accented with blue - further enhancing the image of her in my mind of an angel. I move towards her, taking slow and easy steps though not yet closing the gap; careful to avoid startling her even though she seems more relaxed in my presence. The younger mare relaxed in my presence far sooner than I'd expected her to but it delighted me nonetheless. She speaks again, echoing my prior statement, closing her eyes as though relishing the thought of being free. "I understand." I say when she turns down my offer of finding a healer. My smile grows larger, in spite of myself. "You are strong, Seren. Stronger than you give yourself credit for." But you really should rest, now, I think, it's all right, I'll keep you safe. Yet I can't manage to actually say it; despite watching her grimace when she moves, despite the pain clear in her remaining good eye.

I manage to remain still, thankful for her distraction from the burning addiction still coursing through my veins. I needed her words just as much as she seemed to need mine. "I was. Born and raised." I begin, pausing for a brief moment to sigh softly. My voice is deep and rough when I continue, edged with sorrow. "My family, well... we were warriors. Then we discovered a red mineral. My parents found out that, when ingested, it turned us into stronger fighters. We were immune to mind control magic but it also increased our strength and senses. But they were missing a crucial piece of information." I explain, my eyes flashing with anger and irritation on the last sentence. "The mineral... it was alive, somehow. Like a parasite. The first to take it... they... they turned into crystallized beasts. Monsters. It just eats away at its' host until there's nothing left of them." I pause, my jaw clenching and my eyes darkening to a deeper red. "The worst part? It's highly addictive, making it nearly impossible to quit." And the withdrawal is likely to kill. But I couldn't bring that up, couldn't lay that on her. Closing my eyes, I inhale deeply to calm myself once more. Her scent, sweet and distinctly feminine, tickles my nostrils and I bask in its softness. "I'm sorry." I almost whisper then I open my eyes, refocusing on the mare. "Are you from the Rift originally?" I ask her, genuinely curious about her as well as ready for change of focus.

CRYSTARIUS
image credit

@Seren - aw, thanks! I love Seren <3 I'm excited to watch her develop on here. :D

Tagging is preferred

Permission for all except death and/or dismemberment
replies slow? check here for status updates.

Messages In This Thread
Riding the Winds - by Seren - 08-22-2015, 09:34 AM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Caenan - 08-22-2015, 08:09 PM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Crystarius - 08-23-2015, 01:13 AM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Seren - 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Crystarius - 09-03-2015, 11:10 PM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Seren - 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Crystarius - 09-26-2015, 12:11 AM
RE: Riding the Winds - by Seren - 10-24-2015, 11:28 PM