the Rift

[OPEN] We build too many walls (Knock, knock?)

Achaius Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

He was relieved to see that she did not remain tense in his presence, though he wasn’t sure exactly what to make of her almost-response to his greeting, not yet. Achaius tended to treat people as disassembled puzzles in unique packaging. The general pieces were usually the same (all people are kind sometimes, selfish sometimes, angry sometimes...) but they were inevitably jumbled in different combinations and quantities that needed sorting into place. Interestingly, the finished puzzles rarely resembled the original packaging. There was a lot that could be learned from someone based on their mannerisms, the way they presented themselves to strangers, but these were only partial truths. He had a knack for the politics of things and to that end had a knack for assessing what motivated others, and an active, curious mind that could not turn off this processing. He also had impressions, his own emotional reactions to people, but he tended neither to rely nor to act on these if he could avoid it. Sober second thought was a much better director.

“I have only recently arrived in Helovia. I met young Ilios on my way through the Threshold and he recommended I come and see for myself if the Throat was for me.” He smiled, remembering the enthusiastic gold and teal adolescent. “He made a rather good sales pitch, actually.” Here he paused, glancing at the distant dark shadow within the veil of night’s shadows. His eyes sizing up the darkness and the weight of the future possible before he turned again, saying smoothly “I rather expected Ilios would not be the one to meet me, he seemed a little young for gatekeeping, so I came without expectation.”

He stretched a cramp from his right thigh as he spoke, the dark threads of his tail twitching against the warmer browns in his hide like extensions of the night, fingers of inky darkness looking for purchase on his skin. “Your generous company would have far exceeded them anyway, Nasreen, and I am very grateful to you for it… if I’m not keeping you from your sleep, that is.” And his expression was curious in a subdued way, to match the subtle question in his statement. Hi, I think we speak the same language...What are you doing up and out at this hour? The flattery was of the vain that was common in more formal settings; it was true on its surface but it was also an invitation to play that game of hidden meanings which was common for politicians and for courtiers. He had an instinct that she might be familiar with this language, and if not – well, it was perfectly true that he found her company more charming than he had expected to find tonight.

Achaius.

Messages In This Thread
We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 08-25-2015, 09:15 PM
RE: We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM
RE: We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 09-14-2015, 06:20 PM