the Rift

[PRIVATE] Life, it's only the beginning.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
No you fucking don't—

He didn't know to which God he was praying—cursing. He didn't know at who he aimed the snarled threats bounding through his skull.

He didn't care, either.

Don't—

The angry ocean battered itself against him; his long white hair floated upon the surface, peaceful in a way so at odds with the way his legs fought beneath the surface, and the way the water sprayed into his face and the rolling waves doused his head time and again. His ears were flat against his neck, eyes narrow slits, black nostrils pumping furiously to drag enough air in to fuel his movements.

Don't touch my girl—

He could almost see the dark hand descending upon her; felt his magic break against the small shape of his child, lost in the wrath of nature. He had to be close enough now—he couldn't sustain both himself and pull ice thick enough to hold back the primordial force of the sea—it just wasn't possible.

Tears mingled with the salt water running down his face, fury and despair tying up his throat.

He wasn't strong enough.

He couldn't fight the fucking sea.

She screamed again—"Dad!"—before the waves pulled her under; all her hope, all her fear, living in that single word.

All her faith.

I'm not strong enough—

Still, his legs kept pushing, fatigue dulling the power of his strokes.

Forgive me, I'm not strong enough—

His little girl was drowning, and in the rage of the waves, he had, at last, found an enemy he could not defeat. His fire could not dissipate it; his ice could not freeze it. He was a mouse fighting a tiger,

but he fought all the same, weeping.

She was so close, so fragile, kicking the last of his ice apart and lunging for him.

She was so close, but so far, and he was so tired, the strength of his soul spent on defying fate.

Maybe, it could save her.

Maybe, it would be the thing that made the difference; that extra push from something solid.

Teeth latched onto the long strands of his mane, and Mauja went under, falling into a world he had never before visited; it seemed so much more peaceful down here.. slower.. calmer.. his large body buffeted by the dragging echo of the waves, cradled by the immense power of the water. Strange light filtered down from above, odd shadows playing desperately.

The water stung his eyes.

He could see the ice, the last of its foundation breaking apart before his eyes—slow, regal, majestic. The death of a king, as the sea pulled it apart.

His mane was still in her mouth but he was sinking, heavy and tired; the air trapped in his lungs was still enough to sustain him, the swell of his rib cage almost pleasant with its tingling edge of desperation.

Perhaps drowning would not be so bad, after all.

Then, the world exploded into darkness and stars and the air rushed out of his nostrils in a stream of bubbles, and—

Oh gods, it hurt

He screamed, the sound swallowed by the water, body writhing out of instinct and pain, and then—

His head shot back above the surface, gulping in air and coughing it out again, but in the next heartbeat he was down again, pushed by the weight of Glacia across his neck. He pressed his eyes shut, heart near exploding in his chest; pushed his head back up. She was lodged against him, somehow, precariously trapped over his neck and back.

Hold on, he thought, his lungs useless for anything—just breathing in, coughing up the water. He spun where he was, eyesight ruined by the water, not knowing where to go—or how to get there.

In the end, the owls saved him. Told him when he faced land.

Come to think of it, he could feel it, too; the ocean tried to pull him apart, its top layers dragging him in to shore, but the deeper, stronger current beneath trying to drag him below, and out.

His tears kept on falling, his breathing full of ragged sobs and coughs.

Why the fuck had he gotten kids in the first place—

When you would just drown with them—

But life is a stubborn thing, he has learned over the years.

And so it is the unwillingness to let go that kept his legs pushing against the might of the sea, bringing him closer and closer to land—a slow and painful crawl, his mind reduced to nothing but grim determination and the promise of collapse, his body nothing but something that burned with each movement.

One stroke had him stumbling, pitching forward into the water, falling into it yet again; his knees collided with soft silver sand, the water once again roaring above his head.

Sand.

He could stand.

Maybe she would be able to, too.

But where is she, now?

Had he lost her when he stumbled, and fell? Was she being pulled back out again? Trembling, he found his feet under the water, and heaved his aching body to all four—coming up out of the waves, sobbing and coughing, casting about for the black form of his child.

If he lost her now, he wasn't sure he had the strength to save her.

[ @Glacia, if you want me to change anything just let me know ^^ Oh, I couldn't fit it in from his perspective, but at this part: "Then, the world exploded into darkness and stars and the air rushed out of his nostrils in a stream of bubbles, and—" was because Glacia managed to kick him in the head lol xD ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Messages In This Thread
Life, it's only the beginning. - by Glacia - 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM
RE: Life, it's only the beginning. - by Mauja - 09-06-2015, 06:41 AM
RE: Life, it's only the beginning. - by Glacia - 09-14-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: Life, it's only the beginning. - by Mauja - 09-20-2015, 07:33 AM
RE: Life, it's only the beginning. - by Glacia - 09-24-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: Life, it's only the beginning. - by Mauja - 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM