the Rift

[PRIVATE] you'll never be what is in your heart

Rohan Posts: 132
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.0 :: 8 years HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Éomer :: White-tailed Eagle :: Scream Reli
The large stallion hadn’t been sure what to expect from the Edge when he had approached them, but two pretty faces, an ornery king, and a candid behemoth hadn’t exactly been disappointing. He feels different somehow, not quite understanding it, but embraces it nonetheless and happily releases the bridles of his pride. Perhaps there is a certain purpose to him now—a reason for his appearance into this strange new world, still unknown to him—or perhaps it is only the fresh spring air that has put a certain pep in his step. Whatever the cause, Rohan feels largely confident in himself when he sets off from the misty borders, the minor wounds of battle doing little to dampen his spirits.

However, it isn’t long before the sickness catches up to him. The Warlander feels it first in the stiffness of his muscles—movement becomes gradually harder, more painful, as though his skin is stretched taut across his body as if to hold him in place and keep him from moving. This eventually gives way to the heat. Burning, searing, and writhing. It is as though someone has set fire to his flesh, the very vessels of his veins scorching through every bone and muscle of his body, so much so that steam begins to rise faintly from his skin, despite the passing of winter.

He burns.

The Warlander isn’t sure how long the fever lasts. He grits himself against the pain and suffers quietly, snarling to himself in the darkest hours of night and sequestering himself away from those who might witness his agony. He has endured sickness and pain before, but not like this—nothing like this.

Rohan is not sure how much time has passed—days, seconds, weeks, it would all be the same to him—but eventually, blessedly, he is finally released from his fitful fever. The heat leaves but the stiffness remains, settling deep into his muscles like the aching after a terrible cold, a reminder that it is not yet over. Only recently has he noticed the inflamed pustules that have begun to blister along the inner part of his thighs, the curve where his elbow meets his body, and even some smaller ones manifesting in the warm creases where his ears attach to his head. They are painful, ghastly things, and he keeps telling himself that the worst is yet behind him.

He hates to be proven wrong.

During the day he tries to keep to the shadows, as much out of the sunlight as possible (haunted still by the memory of feverish nights) and is relieved when the light begins to slant beneath the trees’ boughs, signaling the approach of night. Whipping his tail in agitation, Rohan stumbles across a clear pool of water, and with hardly a moment of hesitation, slides into its cool depths. Ancient pool his ass. With his creamy tail fanning out over the glassy surface, he lowers his lips to the water, green eyes closing in a long and heavy moment of silence.

notes; hopefully this works xD  
“Speech.”

Lend me your hand and we’ll conquer them all,

but lend me your heart and I’ll just let you fall.

Lend me your eyes I can change what you see,

but your soul you must keep,

t o t a l l y   f r e e.
image credits | @Enna
@Random Event for sickness
[Image: 57c5195f31f1b_by_relibelli-db9li1z.png]
please tag Rohan in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
like punching in a dream, breathing life into a nightmare

It had been sheer foolishness that led you careening through the thick trees in the forest, giving little care to your safety or the fears that always threatened to eat you alive. The pain that radiates in your shoulder where the blood of a god had burned you, singed away the dark brown hair of your body only pushes you further, stokes the anger laying waste to your changeling heart. Anger at the fact that you had been so stupid as to allow yourself to feel for someone that you hardly knew, the surprise that he had taken advantage of you; at the consequence of you trying to fill that hole in your heart growing inside of you. It is only as you stumble on a hidden branch, crashing to the damp earth that you even consider stopping, preferring to ignore the fact that you have been involuntarily grounded. With a huff of annoyance, you glare in the direction of the log that dared to trip you before hastily throwing yourself back to your feet. In an act of revenge you kick at it, satisfaction dampening the sense that you had been wronged as the impact reverberates through your bones.

It is only then, when you feel that you have conquered it,  that you continue on your path, slower and more subdued this time. Before long the sight of a familiar shape, still within a pool of water, forces your heart into your throat, the syllables of his name ghosting across your supple lips.  You fight against the relief that swells over you, threatens to overwhelm, that he had made it safely away from the god that you had both, along with countless others, faced to protect the place that you called home. His disappearance had caused you to worry endlessly, though you cannot place any blame that his priority had not been to return to you. That revelation in itself stings, but you swallow it, a quiet sigh leaving you, taking with it any bitterness that you may have otherwise felt. You do not say a word as you slip into the waters, moving deliberately slow, the pain in your shoulder catching up all too quickly, growing harder to ignore. Soon enough you are shoulder to shoulder with the sandstone man, and you fall into his strength, pressing your small body against his, trembling at the warmth that radiates as you press your face to his neck, breathing as deeply as you can manage.

His closeness brings something that you have desperately craved: comfort. In this moment everything except that singular fact, except for him and the way his body moves as he breathes, the faint thrum of his heart, so constant compared to the erratic beating of yours, the way he smells of pine and earth, except for the way that your skin ignited the moment it touched his and the way that your heart leapt at the sight of him, filled with the distinct sense of relief and happiness for his safety, for him, is forgotten. That he had disappeared after the fight with that terrible monster of a bear, leaving you to wonder over his health, the closest thing to a best friend that you had ever had disappearing, (that fucking pig) Caleb, your pregnancy, for a moment none of it matters; it feels as if they are a lifetime away, and that you are safe from their repercussions, from the hurt that they bring. But you are more tired than you realize, your heart is tired, and before you even know it, the aching numbness that had reached to the core of your soul releases itself as you begin weeping softly, quietly, into the folds of his skin. 

fantasydesignstock | meihua-stock | landkeks-stock

@Rohan

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The boils do not respond to this attempt at a cure.
Enna remains uninfected.

He feels the small pond stir around him, repressing a hiss as the icy waters reach up to lick at the sores that lay festering along his joints, releasing only a heavy groan across the glassy surface before opening his eyes. They turn to see a figure approaching him through the ruby pool—small, delicate, petite, and so obviously feminine that he is suddenly very aware of the blood rushing through the heat of his veins.

The Warlander turns his head, and she is there. Pressing up against his side, her body—so frail against his own—cradled in the strong breadth of his frame, nearly trembling. He touches his brown lips lightly to her forehead, his hot breath surging through the thickness of her hair.

“Enna.”

Her name is like a sigh across his tongue, a practiced breath of his husky fascination—he swallows the pain of his body eagerly, desperately, disregarding the blistering pustules that lay like parasites along his body, and preferring to lose himself in her femineity and closeness. “I didn’t know when I would see you again,” his deep voice rumbles broadly despite his hushed tones, their low timbre curling a skewed smirk along the line of his lips.

But the beautiful bay does not play with him as he’d assumed she would—her feisty black tongue does not come lashing out with playful, childlike ire—and her silence has his attentions shifting to less physical paths. The muscles in his neck arching, Rohan draws back a little, lowering his eyes so that he might see hers. He does not expect to see her…well, she is—crying. The stallion’s ears flick back in his initial discomfort, not quite sure how to react, or how to comfort a mare in such a state. He remembers for a moment, days long ago, when he would catch Iofiel weeping. She had been a rather quiet filly, closeted to many of her emotions, and he had often slipped silently away to leave her alone.

He has thought sometimes (despite his own protests) since his leaving of her, of their home, of how she would have cried, and how she would have to be on her own again in his absence. Perhaps this is karma’s way of levelling with him. Forever pursued by the tears of women—how poetic.

Pursing his lips and exhaling a calculated breath, he hesitates for a short while, still uncertain, still uncomfortable. At last he comes to the conclusion that he can’t very well leave Enna here (she would certainly notice, for one, and either way, he finds himself not inclined to that idea now), and so, trying to push his uneasiness aside, he reaches for her again.

Trailing his lips along the crest of her neck, Rohan drapes his thick neck over hers, nearly pulling her into him. “I know life is a blessing, but I hardly think mine is worth crying over, darling,” there is humor weaved into the tenors of his voice, a low chuckle emitted soon after. He is more comfortable with this, humor and jest and teasing, and his body slowly begins to relax next to hers. However, he catches the scent of something—something off—flesh? Blood? He assumes it is his own at first, until his bearded chin grazes the wounded skin of her withers. “Enna,” he breaths, surprise and indignation suddenly flaring inside of him, “what happened to you?”

“Speech.”

t o t a l l y   f r e e.
image credits | @Enna

“You couldn’t be more wrong.” You know he jests, that he no doubt feels like a stranger around you like this, know that it is his way of trying to make things right. You can feel him relax against you, the strain of his muscles suddenly less noticeable, and for that you breathe a little easier, the guilt in your heart for falling apart in front of him ebbing into gratefulness. “The strange god, the bear, I saw you there. I followed you, to protect you…” your words become quieter as you continue, the fear that the memory brings fluttering in your heart. You push closer to him, breathing in once more the scent of his skin. You would not say the things that lay within your heart, all the things that you had felt seeing him rush into such carnage, all the things that had worried you since then. He is not a man that needs to be coddled, nor protected, you know, but there are times when you cannot help it, your fear of losing him overriding rationality. “I saw him there too.” But a bird’s wing on the window, so naked and frail as it tumbles from your lips. “He tried to talk to me, but I only wanted to hurt him. I wouldn’t even listen, I…” The words catch within your throat, the tears that had begun to subside swelling all over again. It is regret that brings them this time, regret for pushing the man that you had thought you loved, that had hurt you, away without so much as a second thought. It had never been like you to want to cause pain, and the fact that you had tried so fervently to… it makes you feel so ashamed.

“The bear’s blood burned me, I didn’t have time to mend it; too many others needed it more.” You do not know why you hadn’t in the days after the battle, maybe because you wanted it as a reminder, a permanent mark should your emotions or memories ever fade. “Rohan, he, the man I attacked–” It feels so heavy on your heart then, a secret which you feel should be buried but won’t be because of the life growing inside of you. It is testament to his wrongdoings, and you are afraid to keep it to yourself any longer. “–he,” But you cannot bring yourself to say it, instead biting back a sob as you pull from him, your steps deliberate as you move to try and show him your sides, swelling with something you don’t want, not yet, not the way it happened. You hope it is enough for him to understand the things you are too afraid, too humiliated, to put into words. But as your eyes lift up to finally look at him, there is no mistaking the sores bleeding along his body, no doubt painfully. “You’re hurt too.” It is not a question, but a fear brought to life, even if it is not what terrors you had thought up originally. It eats away at your heart, steeling it for just moments from the sorrow that you had been drowning in, the sudden guilt for not noticing sooner, for not asking, too much. Without asking you press your muzzle to the skin just beneath his ear, your flesh ghosting against his as you summon the last bit of energy that you have to try and cure him of his affliction.

@Rohan

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Rohan is cured of the BFB!
Enna remains unaffected.

He doesn’t try to understand her contradiction. He doesn’t dare begin to wonder how his life—so small, so lonely, and so insignificant (despite what he often tells himself)—could mean anything to this sweet little mare. She is goodness, generosity, and light, where he has only lingered in the shadows; first by the stone hand of his father, shaded beneath greater possibilities, and then by choice, outcasted and outlawed by himself to the untamed wilds of Helovia. He won’t try to convince himself that his heart yet lies in the World’s Edge. It is unsatisfied, hungry and wanting, sated only momentarily by promises of purpose and recognition (perhaps too grandiose to be true).

He forbids himself from flirting with such ponderings. The green of his eyes focus on the crest of her neck, the slope of her shoulders, and the playful wisps of white hair that dance in the faint breaths of dusk’s cool breeze. Only when she continues does his attention dare to roam again, her voice tipping a brown-rimmed ear that twists against his thick, cream locks. “How courageously foolish of you, darling,” his lips twist into a crooked and teasing grin, the husk of his low voice jesting against the somberness of her own.

The image of Enna—petite, slender, fragile Enna—charging recklessly into battle to protect the likes of him, is nothing short of entertaining. The Warlander’s great body vibrates against hers as a chuckle rumbles through his chest, and he looks to her with the impish light in his eyes sparkling from beneath his brow.

Too amused now, initially he isn’t concerned when the mare continues, not bothering himself with ‘him’ (whomever ‘he’ might be), or what indignations this stranger has flared within the little mare’s heart. Rohan’s only interest is what could ever cause Enna to want to hurt, but even after a moment of thought, he supposes that it isn’t entirely impossible (given her rashness and obstinacy, of course).

Nearly rolling his eyes dramatically, the antlered stallion listens when she accounts the incident of the Bear—of how she couldn’t possibly shed her grace and spare a moment for herself—and he feels an unexpected sense of frustration rise within him. Why? He wants to demand of her, Why won’t you take care of yourself? But the question is far too unexplainable for his comfort, and he shrugs it off with a shift of his weight. Allowing something between sarcasm, frustration, and concern to garnish the lines of his face, he continues gruffly, his skewed smirk still lingers along his lips. “You will be all right though, will you not?” A quick glance is cast to her wound. Despite an ego that could feed thousands and an unmistakable arrogance, there is genuine concern that lies beneath his confidence.

He is not a monster.

He feels, even if he tries to convince everyone else—and himself—otherwise.

It is then that ‘he’ returns. The mystery man tempers a little more interest from Rohan this time, fluted ears pricking forward when Enna withdraws from him. At first, he is unsure what he is supposed to be looking at when she twists about (obviously taking advantage of the moment and admiring her feminine figure, but if there is more, it escapes him). And then, suddenly, he notices it—and he can’t look away, it is obvious now. The slightest distension in her middle, the minor swelling of her flanks…she is pregnant.

How to react? Well. He concludes that her situation cannot be good—considering her state of mind on the matter, the fear in her eyes—he would be more surprised if circumstances have been kind to her. The thought blisters inside of him, festering like the pustules that are rotting along his body, and he isn’t sure how to handle it. Too caught up in his own musings and his own opinion, that the stallion remains uncharacteristically quiet, his eyes shifting to hers when she speaks again. He had nearly forgotten about his own sores, that his eyes narrow briefly in confusion.

“Oh,” he mutters in slow understanding, “nothing much to worry about—some kind of…alien boils, I guess.” He shrugs his broad shoulders, as if they didn’t burn, giving her a playful smirk that is only slightly forced. He nearly protests when she reaches up to him—concern for her frail energy flaring inside of him—but the sudden reprieve of her healing comes too fast, and his objection dies on his tongue. Relaxation eases him almost immediately, and he exhales a shuddering sigh of relief before looking to her. “Thank you,” he murmurs, daring to show his gratitude, his muscles and skin singing from relief—relief from the pain, the heat, and the tension that have tormented him. “You didn’t have to do that, sweetheart,” he presses his lips to her forehead, breathing deeply for the first time in what could have been a lifetime.

Trailing his touch down the bridge of her nose (a whisper of an embrace), the large unicorn withdraws enough to look into her eyes. “Enna,” he acknowledges her with a firm gentleness, to get her attention, to gather himself together, but he pauses. He doesn’t have to ask to confirm her condition—her pregnancy is noticeable now, as recognizable and penetrating as the fear that haunts her eyes. “He…” Rohan pauses again, this time without hesitation, but with the clenching of his jaw. He doesn’t want to know, but he has to—he has to. And so bridling his indignation—mysterious and impulsive as it is—he dares to ask.

“Did he hurt you?”

“Speech.”

t o t a l l y   f r e e.
image credits | @Enna

He calls you a fool in jest, but you are inclined to agree. What are you, if not a fool? You have proven that time and time again, trying to keep those who do not wish to be kept all too close, protecting those who would sooner need another hole in their head with everything that you have in your heart. Loving those who know nothing except how to love themselves in the hope that you would somehow be worthy. He laughs and you smile, listening to it and only it as the rich sound tumbles forth. You realize now that you have missed it in his absence, your worry for him no doubt making it that much sweeter to finally hear. ‘You will be all right though, will you not?’ You smile tenderly then, his concern, or at least what you choose to perceive as concern causing your heart to skip a beat. It is very rarely that your tendencies are returned, all your ceaseless worrying and fretting reflected by even a fraction, and such is the profession that you have chosen; giving everything that you can in return for the thought that you made a difference to someone, however insignificant. But the sentiment coming from him, it makes your stomach flutter; your heart beat a little faster, thickens the blood as it rushes through your veins. “Always,” You want to tease him then, to give into the playfulness that has accompanied the two of you since the day that you had met. But your heart is not in it, the promise of your permanence, your loyalty, to him caught in the back of your throat.

You do not believe he would even understand it, should he even take it seriously, the way you would mean it, and this thought furrows your brows for the tiniest fraction of a second before you toss your head gently, coaxing lily-white locks to cover any evidence of your doubt. He stares and, somehow, you manage to stare back, only momentarily glancing at the way your sides resemble that of a woman instead of a girl, swelling with new life that you cannot help but feel resentful towards. He says nothing, and so neither do you, but the look on his face is evidence enough that he understands, and that is all you need of him. You do not word your reasons for allowing him in, for coming apart when you have refused to in front of anyone else; it would make it too real, all the abandonment that shadows your heart, all the fear of rejection that festers. He is your only friend, someone you cherish, the only one you trust. Looking to him again, you find that you don’t even know the words to say, if you were to even begin trying to explain anything in the first place. It is then that your magic begins to work, your attention pulling away from your reclusive thoughts to focus solely on the boils as they shrink until there is nothing left, and you can see as he relaxes, comfort ebbing into every nook of his body. He thanks you and you nod, the motion small, hardly noticeable.

“No, but I wanted to.” He presses against you then, the heat of his breath on your forehead causing your knees to grow weak, your breath coming out in a gush of equally hot air, skin tingling as he drags his whiskery muzzle down the delicate skin of your face. You drink in the softness of him, pressing into his touch for the moment he lingers, your eyes darting to his as he speaks your name, breaking whatever trance he had put you in, the world around you sparking loudly back into your focus where before it had been silenced. ‘He…’ your find your heart sinking again, fear creeping back in to the places that had found momentary peace with him. ‘Did he hurt you?’ Your immediate instinct is to protect the man that you could have loved, protect him from any of the consequences that this could bring. You want to blame yourself; want to tell him that all of it had been your fault because you’re just a stupid little girl with stupid little dreams and aspirations to be someone’s anything. You had been too blind to see what he truly was, too starved for affection to even think that he would dare to use you. For a moment you stare at him, from the line of his jaw to those ever-changing green, green eyes of his, clouded by something that you do not want to name, afraid of what happens next. You want to protect him, and that desire alone leaves the bitterest taste in your mouth. Yes.

That single word holds the weight of all your regret, all your hate and betrayal, all your self-inflicted pain. You flinch at the harshness of your voice, finally looking somewhere, anywhere, but his face, once more afraid of what you would(nt) see. “He… I didn’t want him to, didn’t want this–“ your voice cracks then, face scrunching with confusion and hurt and disgust, anger with yourself for ever letting something like this happen, for the indifference you feel for the aftermath inside of you. “I thought he loved me, but he did this–he raped me (and that is what it had been, had it not? Loveless, passionless, a means to an end that left him feeling like a man that he could never be, with you crumbling beneath)–only to leave me. The sound trembles, and you finally raise your eyes to meet his again, your head shaking ever so slightly, heart tearing between your desire to simply give up and the refusal to let such an insignificant man ruin you. “I don’t know what to do. Not with him (you never want to see him, breathe him, touch him again), not with his child, none of it, Rohan.” 

@Rohan

Her silence, her hesitation, stretches out the suspense until it is nothing but a sinking feeling in his gut. He waits with baited breath, waiting for it to fall, waiting for the weight to sink into his bones and curl his anger. Why? Why does he care? Why does it matter if she has been wronged? She is nothing to him…nothing but another pretty face, another game of wits and romance, another toy to play with the primal instincts that fires his veins, flooding his body until his skin becomes hot. She…should not…be…special. She should not be any different.

But…

His lies are crumbling.

Her voice, when it comes, cuts through the façade as if a blade has pierced him through his chest—stripping him to his core until even the desire to pretend, the game, is lost to him. Her mis-matched eyes fall from his, but he still looks at her. Tracing the lines of her face, each delicate detail, he can see the pain and the betrayal that is laced through every curve. She is hurting. He will see him pay, he will burn the gutless bastard, he will hunt and shred the sniveling little rat who had taken every intimate part of her against her will. Against her will.

“I didn’t want him to, didn’t want this—“

It is that single fact alone that is the fuel to the rage that seethes within him. Enna can have sex with anyone she wants—he doesn’t own her (he certainly doesn’t want to own her, even if he wouldn’t mind some action himself, but that’s beside the point)—and to whoever this pitiful bastard is, Rohan could care less about his loose sex life. The Gods know his own list is far from the tightest either. But for all his flaws, for all his arrogance, for all his greed, the Warlander would never take a woman against her will. He’s got enough game to seduce them to his bed all with their own free judgement. To think what kind of rat would be so cowardly—would hurt Enna—ignites a wrath that fumes and blisters in his anger.

“I…I’m sorry, Enna,” his voice is deeper than usual, gruff and short, the green of his eyes falling from her face to skirt across the waters. The words are not spoken as an apology, because he knows that an apology is not what she needs to hear right now. Especially from him. Still, he feels helpless, uneasy, and ignorant as to how to handle Enna’s discomfort and pain. His anger is the most familiar thing to him, and he clings to it now.  “You didn’t deserve this,” it is nearly a groan, grief and pity leaking into his expression as he glances to her. “I—don’t—” struggling with words, Rohan huffs a weighted breath, flicking his tail sharply, at a loss for advice, for assistance. This isn’t him—he doesn’t do this. But he knows he can’t abandon her as he had Iofiel.

He doesn’t want to.

Shifting his weight, the Warlander simply breathes for a short moment, reaching out to press his muzzle against Enna’s forehead, breathing in her scent, before drawing back. Her nearness helps him control his rage as much as it fuels it (the images of her being taken advantage of provoking bile to the back of his tongue) and he finds himself gritting his teeth before continuing. “A child is not his father. It is only a fool and a coward who would do this, who would leave, who would abandon you—” his voice is rising and he has to stop himself, his eyes shifting away from hers.

“A child is not his father,” he repeats, the timbre of his voice lower again, as if he is clutching at the words for himself. Rohan would know. Rohan Kaerji would know. Held beneath the hand of his father, pressing and wretched, he had spent every moment of his youth proving that they were not the same. He is still doing so, perhaps. From prince to vagabond—it has a fitting rebellion.

And so it can be for her child—her child. She only need worry about herself now, get over her grace and be selfish for once. He certainly wants to be selfish. It is not an unfamiliar fault for him—greed, lust, and selfishness—and perhaps a better person might try to reason with her, reason with that despicable bitch of a stallion, but not he. There is a primal part of him that wants to rise and dominate, if only to keep her safe, to keep her sheltered (wanting her in ways that run deeper than carnal desires, even if he doesn’t understand them) and he selfishly implores of her now. “You don’t have to see him again…do you? Protect yourself. Tell me you don’t have to see him again,” his voice is earnest, almost demanding, pleading. His body rises up where he feels like he could crumble inside, eyes searching for hers.

“Speech.”

t o t a l l y   f r e e.
image credits

I’m sorry, Enna – You didn’t deserve this’ But no one ever does. You want to say it, point out the lack of fairness of the world when it is so glaringly obvious, but as you look at him that little streak of defiance is lost, your face softening for all the (what you assume to be) anger written all across his. You press your lips to his cheek, trying to comfort him when you are at a loss for words, a loss of what to do. For a long time, until he had laid his hands, selfish and rough and wrong, on you, you had thought that nothing else bad could happen to you. You had lost your brother to the clutches of death before it was his time (he was so young, still – a wild-eyed boy with dreams no less wild, a dauntless heart and a love for adventure; how you still carry the weight of that on your fragile, aching heart). You had lost Ama and Da when they were scattered to the same wind that took your brother’s life, and with it, your entire world. You had thought that the dream that you had shared with him was a sign that he was something special, wouldn’t leave you, wouldn’t hurt you, would love you, that you had finally earned the privilege of having something to keep. Again he presses into you, and you lean into him, the bridge of your nose barely finding the latch of his throat as your head moves underneath his. You can feel the tension within him, feel it grow as your uneasiness melts away, your desire for him to be alright overwhelming against your own pain.

But instead of remaining silent he speaks, calling the man a fool, a coward, truths that you do not bother denying. It is his rising voice that you tremble at, a breath being forced out against his skin as you clutch tighter to him, the closeness that you share not near close enough. Part of you wishes you were stronger, that you would have never told him, seeing the reaction that erupts from him, the man that you know for his ceaseless flirting and humor, turned in to something that you would rather not know, by something that you do not understand. ‘A child is not his father.“I know.” It is all you say, moving your lips against his throat in a gentle caress, meaning more to you than you care to admit. “I know.” But it is not what you meant, the significance that those words hold to him lost on you. You are not afraid of this child, you are afraid of raising it, of being a mother when you are not ready. You are afraid not of what it will be but of yourself looking at it and hating it because it reminds you of that man, of the dreams that died the moment he touched you. You are afraid that you will not be able to love an innocent child for the sins of its father. It is this that you keep from him, this that you are disgusted in yourself for. He asks you if you have to see him again, and you shake your head against him, even as he tells you to protect yourself, pulling away as he searches, your heart falling into a spasm as your eyes meet his. “I don’t.” It is only seconds that you hold his gaze; seconds until you find that what little distance there is between the two of you is all too much.

“He knows that the Basin is my home, but I don’t think… I don’t think I would be worth the hassle of finding.” You recall the trouble that the girl and her family had gone through simply to see a healer, seek shelter, the horrible sound that the Sentinels had made to bar their passage, the way that it echoed through the valley. You sigh, resting your head against his neck once more. “Even if he came, I am safe there.” Hollow reassurances, to quell the worry that apparently resides within his heart, sate the wishing of yours. It is not the walls of the Basin that you want to make you feel secure, not the metal of some contraption to hold you, comfort you. “…Rohan,” But your words falter, a breath following the tenderness of the way you spoke his name. You close your eyes, trying your best to even the thumping of your heart, terrified that he may feel it against his skin, terrified that he would feel it and see all the things that you try so desperately to hide. “Would you… abandon me?” So very quiet, soft, that you almost hope he does not hear it, laying bare a part of your heart for him to keep or to destroy.

@Rohan

He feels the movement of her head against his shoulder before his ears catch her words, his ribcage expanding as he slowly releases a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. He doesn’t try to hold the mare’s gaze as her eyes fall, and assuming that she will continue, he doesn’t press her for more. This is not a topic he particularly enjoys himself—preferring to dwell on more wondrous and pleasing things—but he finds himself fixated on that bastard, that monster who had dared touch her and leave her to the wolves. The demand for vengeance fires within his veins, igniting the most primal call for blood, for justice.

One of his rimmed ears twitching when Enna speaks again, Rohan lowers his eyes from where they had wandered, his features taking a moment to soften from their fierce lines. He tsks her gruffly, playfully, shaking his head as his unruly forelock falls to entwine in the lower part of his antlers. “Oh I don’t know about that, sweetheart—you’d be surprised how many rascals will come scurrying after a beauty like you,” his brown lips twist into a crooked grin as he chuckles deeply, but it isn’t long before he quiets, realizing how unsettling his jest might actually be. How unsettling—how infuriating—it is to think of that coward coming to track her down.

But he mustn’t linger on that. Shifting his weight, his thick neck arches as his muzzle is tucked in closer to his chest, his eyes leaving hers. “Alright then,” it is murmured roughly to her half-hearted assurances, only half satisfied that the Basin’s defenses are so impenetrable (given his personal doubts for the empire itself), but he doesn’t press the issue. Truthfully, he doesn’t want to admit—to anyone, even to himself (especially to himself)—how much the thought actually bothers him. How much he might actually care. The idea of it all is just…unsettling for him.

“Mm?” He hums when he hears his name, distracted and overlooking the tenderness in her voice (perhaps fortunately so, for now, as bitter and reluctant as his spirit is), and waiting for her to continue in her short pause, he presses his lips gently into the folds of her hair. With her question comes a huff of laughter as his warm breath seeps to her skin, humming amusedly as he draws back. “Throwing me a double-edged sword, are you?” One side of his brow rises in tease, though there is a seriousness beneath his humor (sensing her own gravity well enough—this is no game, not for her).

He falls silent for a long moment—longer than he would have liked—pondering, hesitating, wrestling. He feels pinned, interrogated, even if her intentions had been nothing but out of desperation. Does she expect a promise, a commitment? He only know himself, his past, and struggles with it all, knowing his flighty nature (and not intending to change). Finally, his broad voice expands across the waters. “I suppose it depends on your definition of abandonment, Rohan attempts at a playful smirk, but soon continues more seriously, “I would never take you—against your will—” He pauses again, the thought bringing new fire to his anger, and he has to clench his jaw against the wrath that simmers beneath his skin. Take herhave her—yes, without a doubt.

But he is no coward.

“I am a wanderer by nature, I suppose. I’ve pledged myself to a herd, but my heart’s wanderlust has proved far more of a temptress than I had thought,” he huffs a breath of dry laughter, his gaze wandering through the shadowy woods around them, “The Edge will be good for me though, I suppose.” He purses his lips before returning his attention to the little mare, only realizing then that he has been avoiding the core of her question, even if he had subconsciously been doing so. “But…” he begins, swallowing. He doesn’t handle commitment well—that’s a given—but he is not a monster. “No,” he smiles again, crooked as it pulls across his brown lips, green eyes shining as he looks down to her, “I don’t think I could abandon you.”

“Speech.”

t o t a l l y   f r e e.
image credits
@Enna

For all of the selfishness you have shown, it is the way that he quiets as your body tenses, stiffens against the ill-placed joke that you withdraw into quietness, refusing to allow him to see just how his words had put you on edge, how they had hurt you. You had already been unsure, already wanted to leave those walls that could protect you, could condemn you—wanted to leave those faces in your head that would be like strangers if they knew, if you told them, sought them out, wanted to leave the possibility of him finding you again (knowing your strength would fail, knowing just how vulnerable your heart remains). You had been ready to try to run from these things that you are not brave enough to face on your own. But that is the trouble of running from ghosts, a truth that you have been hiding from just as fervently as you had run since the day you found your brother’s broken body: it has only left you more alone. It is not any of this, however; not your fear of being found, not of becoming a pariah among those that you would have called family. It is that leaving, running, hiding, would mean losing him, too. You haven’t.” A smile then, for once as unsure as you feel, stretched thin and bare despite the humor that you intended, though the words are all too heavy to entirely mask the truth, the tinge of something like bitterness, in them. He had not, not even when you had asked him to (he is the only one that you would not run from, in all of the things that you have tried to leave behind, the only one, the only one—).

Throwing me a double-edged sword, are you?’ He pulls you, tired and worn, from your thoughts, eyes blinking as the words process slowly. “No,” your brows knit together, a breath punctuating the silence that falls between the two of you then, heavy and waiting. “Not intentionally, I’m sorry—I didn’t mean—“ But you did. You had asked to learn of what, if any, ties he has to you, if you are being a fool in keeping him so dangerously close to your heart crafted of glass. The words that come next tense your muscles, set your teeth to chewing nervously on the inside of your lips, your cheeks. ‘I would never take you—against your will—’ Your teeth clench down on flesh, wincing as pain floods your mouth, the taste of blood stark against your tongue, the dryness of your throat. You are frozen against him, however, too terrified of what is going on in his mind to even hazard a guess, too afraid that you have messed everything up, pushed him too far, asked for too much; you try your best to not listen as he inhales to speak— ‘I am a wanderer by nature, I suppose. I’ve pledged myself to a herd, but my heart’s wanderlust has proved far more of a temptress than I had thought.’ Does he forget that you know him? That you have seen the infinities traced within his jaded eyes, eyes that could swallow stars, galaxies, universes (what hope would you ever have?), the promise of the adventure of the unknown, the wildness that governs his heart, something that had always drawn you to him? Does he forget that, with merely a word, you would have fallen to the same whims, same dreams and thoughts and hopes, if only to know his world, him, more than his elusiveness would allow. Does he even know?

The Edge will be good for me though, I suppose.’ You shift against him as the but drips from his lips, your heart in knots and stomach in a whirl as what must be only seconds seems to stretch for eternity, your anxiety growing, growing until it feels like you may burst, wishing to speak but choking on your cowardice as you glance upwards towards that face, that face, that face that you have seen a hundred times and yet every time you look at it something new, something beautiful is there to take you by surprise. You nearly laugh as he says no, nearly fall back to the tears that have been gone and dry as he smiles, reaching to place a tender kiss upon the arch of his brow as something warm, something that you didn’t realize you needed creeps back in to your soul. For all of his hesitation, all of your fear, it is impossible to deny the relief as your lips move from his flesh, smile deepening. “Nor I you,” it is a whisper as you pull from him further, eyes lifting from beneath thick lashes to catch his gaze once more, unfaltering, unflinching.  

@Rohan