the Rift

Enter Sandman

Valentine Posts: 203
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 12
teeroo

Valentine
My Heart Leaks the Blood of Many

Valentine walked along, looking at the ice around him. Being accepted into Edge, he still wanted to explore a bit. He didn’t mind the cold of the new territory. Ice has always intrigued him for some reason. Maybe it was the beauty of how it shone, and they way it compose itself. Or maybe it was the way that you could never capture it, as if you touched it, it would melt, and would be lost forever, only until it froze over, but then again, it would never be the same. He went along slowly, as it was somewhat slick in some places, and his hooves were not meant for ice normally. He made a quick left, because something had caught his eye. He had suddenly come into a room filled with ice crystals, all shining in a light sapphire color. He sighed, feeling the joy of the crystals around him, making him smile for the first time in a while. He sat down in between a set of large ones, and simply stared around him at the beauty of them.

Follow the trail of blood...you'll find me at the end

I am no longer going into the cbox due to recent events. You can PM on this (Valentine's) account, go on my skype (teeroo777), or PM me on DA (teeroo). Thank you.

Credits to picture on page, since they won't show up since they are in black: http://twiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Free-Love-362011598

Sandman Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Sandman
There's something I'm not revealing...

The large stallion stomped irritably over the tundra, doing his best to avoid sliding in the treacherous mud. Whose stupid idea was it to come out here anyway? Well, his apparently, but still. At least it wasn’t snowing, yet. Despite having been raised high in the mountains, Sandman loathed the cold, much preferring the warm and dry climate of his desert birthplace.

It’ll be fun, he remembered thinking to himself earlier. It’ll be an adventure. He snorted, mocking his former optimistic attitude. Next time he decided to go on an ‘adventure’, he’d have to remember to go someplace warmer than this godsforsaken arctic wasteland. Though not many places would be warm, due to it being bloody Frostfall. As if to spite him, small white flakes began to drift through the air, swirling around in a beautiful dance that went fully unappreciated by the annoyed draft horse. Likely to storm too. Best find shelter.

Dark brown orbs finally noticed an opening in the side of a glacier, and Sandman squeezed inside. The snow was falling more thickly now, making the ice cave fairly dark. He shook the remains of melted snow from his thick chestnut coat, not even noticing the other stallion nearby. Bloody snow, he muttered. As soon as that storm lets up, I’m going to find a desert. Somehow. Maybe.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

He noticed the large stallion inside the ice clave with him. For many moments he said nothing, still having his attention taken by the crystals, and he wanted to see if the other horse would notice him. He finally stopped looking at the crystals, and focused on the horse. He was a regular equine, of fine chestnut color. He took up half the space on the other side of the room, then again, so did he, because the room was not that big, but he was still a big horse. Valentine could tell by the look on his face that he didn’t like the cold, and he guessed he had come to seek shelter, because he could see the snow starting to fall outside. Without rising, he slowly spoke, and his word was simple.
“Hello.”

I am no longer going into the cbox due to recent events. You can PM on this (Valentine's) account, go on my skype (teeroo777), or PM me on DA (teeroo). Thank you.

Credits to picture on page, since they won't show up since they are in black: http://twiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Free-Love-362011598

Unregistered

Sandman

“Hello.”

Sandman whirled, startled by the unexpected greeting. At first he saw no one, but after a moment he located the gray stallion, half hidden between two pillars of ice. He was intriguingly colored, with black markings and red streaked into his mane and tail. And dear gods, was that a horn? Sandman had heard of unicorns, of course, but had believed them to be mere myths, stories told to foals. Guess you learn something new every day. Best to be careful with this one. Now he must figure out the best way to proceed with this surreal meeting. Should he appear to be awestruck, or merely respectful? Show intelligence, or play dumb? Decisions, decisions.

It took only a few seconds for Sandman to don his mask, hopefully quick enough that the unicorn would think he was adjusting to another’s presence instead of forming plans of his own. His head dipped slightly, acknowledging the stag without appearing submissive. Hello, he returned, keeping his tone light and friendly. I apologize if I am trespassing, I just wished to avoid the coming storm. My name is Sandman.

There, that should suffice. Polite and open, the cheerful stranger. It was one of his most frequently used personas, and he found it to be quite effective if performed correctly. Now, if only he could get the unicorn talking, learn more about him. Perhaps the creature could be of use, or at least provide some entertainment until the snow calmed. This, he thought, could be very interesting.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

Valentine looked the draft horse’s face. It was a thinking face, he knew, and it suddenly went blank. What came after that was unexpected. His voice was happy sounding and polite. Although he knew nothing of the stallion, he could tell that something had changed in him. Was it because he was in the company of others? Or was it merely to hide something? Valentine didn’t know, and decided to ponder it at a later time. He looked at the stallion again, and not moving, he replied simply.
“No, I am just here to observe the crystals.” He decided if the stallion wanted to know more, he would ask. The stallion intrigued him. What a very interesting conversation this will be.

Unregistered

Sandman

The horned beast was quiet for a moment before responding that he was here to look at the ice. Personally, Sandman couldn’t understand why someone would want to come so far just for some frozen water, especially since it would be forming everywhere now that Frostfall had come. Strange fellow, to willingly travel to this land solely for the scenery.

Still, he kept the friendly expression on his face, betraying nothing of his inner thoughts. “I see. I suppose they are rather interesting.” He pretended to admire a particularly large structure, while discreetly watching the unicorn stag. He seemed to be mildly curious, but offered no words, appearing content to let Sandman do most of the talking. Alright then, he could do that. He preferred more chatty company, but he was adaptable enough to deal with the quiet types as well.

He shifted his weight from hoof to hoof, as though the silence was making him slightly uncomfortable. After a moment he spoke, as if unable to remain quiet. “I don’t mean to be presumptuous sir, but would you mind telling me your name? It’s only polite to introduce oneself, after all.” He allowed himself a slight smile to soften the words, showing he meant no harm or disrespect. It was too early to tell if the stallion believed the act yet, but Sandman was fairly confident that he would. After all, deceiving was what he did best.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

“Hmph” he said, “yes I suppose I am being rude.” He didn’t feel like it, but he thought he should at least try to be polite. “My name is Valentine.”
He still sat in the corner, unmoving. He noticed every detail of every movement that the draft horse made. The vibrations from moving his hoofs rang a little in his ears, though not in a bad way. He was starting to get bored, and didn’t know exactly what to do. He felt like carving, like he did with Raithe when he was alive, but he didn’t remember everything he had told him. Maybe he if sat and thought about it, it would all come back.
“If the ice is thin, the horn is black, then the ice cracks with a good whack.” He didn’t realize he had said it out loud, but this was the key step that his uncle had taught him about carving. And since he was but a small colt, his uncle made it rhythm, so as to teach him things. He sighed, missing his uncle, and a new wave of pain rushed through him soul, and made him shiver. He suddenly felt more alone than ever, even with his new acceptance into Edge.

Unregistered

Sandman

“It’s nice to meet you, Valentine. Don’t worry, everyone forgets their manners at some point or another.” Sandman kept the gentle smile on his maw for a moment longer, then resumed a slightly more neutral expression. Smiling too much might make this quiet stallion nervous, or worse, suspicious.

Then, the little nonsense rhyme unexpectedly came out. ‘If the ice is thin, the horn is black, then the ice cracks with a good whack’. What on earth could that mean? Valentine seemed unaware of his strange words. Sandman tilted his head quizzically. “An unusual saying. Does it have any significance?”

He still hasn’t moved, he noted suddenly. This Valentine must either trust me not to attack him, or else be confident that he can evade me should I try. Then another thought dawned on him. Or he’s injured, and is concealing it. Wouldn’t that be interesting, and useful. Very useful. He decided that he would keep an eye out for any signs of a wound, though he was uncertain what course of action he would take if the stag was indeed injured in some way. Depended on how badly he was hurt, really. For now, he just had to wait and see how things played out.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

Valentine moved his head. He hadn’t realized he’d spoken out loud.
“I’m sorry, I’m just mumbling to myself I guess…” His words trailed off. “It was something my Uncle taught me when he was alive. It was how to carve ice, and he used to say that to me.” He smiled inside himself, but not a warm one. He rose, spreading his legs and stretching a bit. He looked around at the crystals around them, until he noticed something…well, amazing.
“Oh my…” he said. He carefully walked toward one part of the ice cave, examining a certain type of crystal. It was a white and light blue color, one that he recognized from his childhood. “This is the rarest type of crystal in all of Helovia,” he said. “It’s called Cyanice. Some think it’s called that because it can be used as a poison, which isn’t true. It’s called that because it’s color is cyan, and it’s made of ice. It’s a pretty simple name, but it’s absolutely beautiful.”

Unregistered

Sandman

Carving ice? Well, he supposed everyone had to have a hobby. Hell, maybe all unicorns carved since Valentine said his uncle taught it to him. It wasn’t important anyway, or at least not at the moment. Valentine had risen to his feet, and that was of more interest to the chestnut draft. Apparently the injured theory was out, as the stag was moving easily with no visible wounds. Standing, the unicorn was probably as tall as Sandman himself, though with a much leaner build. Black markings were revealed, wrapped around the stallion’s forelegs, as well as a red heart on the left rear. Must be how he got his name.

Then Valentine started talking about some ice crystal that he had apparently just spotted. Cyanice. Sandman had never heard of it, and didn’t much care, but he moved to the gray’s side to see the oddly colored ice. He feigned interest, looking at the thing with a curious expression. “What makes it so rare? How is it formed?” Honestly, Sandman was growing bored, but he wanted this steed to like him, or at least feel somewhat friendly towards him. So he’d play along with the way their conversation had turned and act like knowledge of the ice crystal was important to him.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

Valentine saw the draft horse move towards him and look at the ice. He could tell he was bored, at he just simply stared at it and offered no response. He knew he was being silly by looking at ice. He wasn’t a child anymore. He had grown up. He straightened himself. He looked outside, and saw that the storm wasn’t quite coming on how it thought it was, and a sudden idea popped into his head.
“So friend, how about we play a friendly game?”
He thought about things to do in the snow, which wasn’t a lot, but at least it was something to do. He also wanted to head home soon, so this would be a way for him to depart, after the game was over of course.

Unregistered

Sandman

Friend, huh? Sandman felt quite pleased with himself for earning that name so quickly. Then again, he was a master of deceit. Countless others had called him friend, or brother, or lover, completely unaware of his true chaotic nature. So after a quick mental pat on the back, he turned his mind back to the current situation. The snow had indeed slowed, gently drifting instead of gusting fiercely. Well then, there was no need to remain in this dim cavern. The suggestion of a game had caught his fancy, though he had no idea of what kind of game Valentine had in mind.

“What game were you thinking of?” It was best to know what he was getting into before deciding upon a course of action. It was doubtful that Valentine had any malicious intentions, but one could never be too careful. After all, there were skilled liars in the world, others like him who travelled through life disguised. Yes, he would much rather know what this game would be instead of stumbling in blind.

Sandman walked out into the snow, fairly certain that the gray stag would follow. The cold hit him unexpectedly. Their ice cave must have held more warmth than he’d thought. The white flakes immediately began to settle on him, ensnaring themselves in his mane and tail, though those that landed on his chestnut pelt soon melted. At least the mini snowstorm had stopped, and there was even the hint of sunlight behind the dark clouds. A massive hoof pawed at the ground, revealing the drift to be composed of the light, dry kind of snow. Much easier to deal with than the wet clinging type. His head turned, watching the mouth of his temporary shelter for Valentine.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

He noticed that Sandman had moved outside, as he talked. He looked over at the Cyanice, and made a split second decision. He quickly carved out a large chunk of it, and when he was done, followed him outside. He was right where he wanted to be now. He could see the sun, which he hadn’t noticed before, but what he did notice was the temperature. Their bodies had warmed the ice cave, and the outside temperature had dropped, even if it wasn’t storming. He dropped the ice by where Sandman stood.
“I was thinking we could have a race,” he said, trotting a little away from the ice caves. “Whoever won got bragging rights.” He trotted along from where he was to the chestnut draft, drawing a line with his front left hoof. “This will be the starting line.”
He knew one thing at this point: he wanted to get back. He knew there was an invasion going on, and he wanted to see what had become of his new home. He trotted by Sandman, picked up the ice in his mouth again, and trotted back to the line. He dropped it again, and took a stance.
“Are you ready?”

Unregistered

Sandman

“I was thinking we could have a race.” Was this beast insane, or just foolish? Sandman looked doubtfully at the snow drifts, most of them at least knee-high. It would be difficult enough to just walk through those, let alone run. Plus he knew the ground underneath would be a slick mess of mud, maybe some ice. Why on earth would someone want to race in these conditions? Not only would it be far more effort than Sandman wanted to spend, but it could also be quite dangerous. Valentine could run if he wished, but the chestnut stallion would not follow and risk injury.

“I’m afraid I must decline your offer. Perhaps another time?” The unicorn seemed distracted and antsy anyway, like he wished to be elsewhere. The draft felt that he wouldn’t insist on his reckless idea, hoped he’d just accept Sandman’s reluctance and be on his way. Then the flaxen steed could move on as well, preferably to someplace slightly more hospitable. The cold was beginning to get to him, despite the thick coat that blanketed his body. Yes, the desert-born stag definitely wished to find a warmer area.

He toyed with the thought of simply walking away, leaving Valentine to his own devices. However, that would not fit his current role of a polite being. So he would have to wait for the ash creature’s reply and hope that he would see sense. Then again, he doesn’t seem to be the smartest. And he brought that stupid ice with him. What is it with him and that stuff? Sandman looked closer at the blue mass, in case he had missed something, but it still appeared as frozen water to him, even if it was an odd color. Chocolate eyes returned to Valentine, impatiently waiting for his rejection of a race to be accepted or questioned.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
teeroo

Valentine

The answer wasn’t quite the one he had been expecting. He didn’t want to be rude and just leave him, because that wasn’t his style. However, he didn’t know much about the stallion, and he thought the flickering earlier was a persona, because he had seen others like him before. He simply looked at him.
“Alright, that’s fine.” He shivered a bit, shaking the snow that was forming over his white body. “Well, I’m going to go home then. It was nice meeting you, goodbye.”
He picked up the ice, and walked across the line he had made. He started to trot, but then broke into a gallop. He quickly realized this was a mistake: he had broken part of the ice, and it was falling all around him. He moved quickly and avoided landing in the water, but he wasn’t on solid ground. Ice was all around him, and everything started to break, and the lines when all around, and started to head to Sandman’s position.
“You better start running now, or you’ll die!” he shouted.
Instead of going back to offer help to the draft, he ran. What could he do? The ice was cracking around him as well. He knew now is was stupid to take the part of Cyanice with him, as it slowed him down, but he wouldn’t let it go now, not that he had taken it. It didn’t melt, even with his heavy breathing. That was the amazing thing about it. No matter where you took it, it never melted. It was used to make all sorts of things, rare and very expensive, if you never how to use it right. He just hoped he could find something to do with it.

Unregistered

Sandman

The bright stallion watched silently as Valentine scrambled to survive. If he was dumb enough to run out onto thin ice, that was of no concern to him. Honestly, the ocean was extremely visible from here and the stag should have had enough sense not to gallop toward it. Cracks had reached out, racing near the draft horse, but he was on a more solid piece of land and remained safe enough. It crossed his mind that perhaps he should offer his assistance to the beleaguered unicorn, but discarded it quickly. Not only was there nothing he could do, but he also had no desire to risk his own life for someone he had just met.

Sandman remained still for a few more moments before turning away. Witnessing Valentine’s struggle brought him no joy, and honestly he just didn’t want to be there if he went under. The chestnut was no stranger to death, but to stand by and watch seemed cruel, even to him. So, he left. Valentine would either live or die, and there was nothing Sandman could do to influence either one. Good luck, Valentine. I do hope you make it out of here alive.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts