the Rift

[OPEN] Is there room for one more sun?

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

The goddess was all consuming. Her presence was such that the surroundings nearly erased themselves from existence. Every word uttered, every broken twig and uneasily shifted foot amidst the growing crowd faded into pointless noise, a mere backdrop to highlight her perfection.

Erthë barely heard what her mother said. She forgot to breathe as she stared in awe at the lavender-colored mare, hovering as still as a porcelain figurine beneath the black-feathered wing - until black spots began dancing before her eyes and nearly obscured the vision of the unholy deity. Tiny lungs inhaled greedily of the magic-tainted air -  somehow it tasted all the sweeter because she shared it with the immortal one. It really didn't make much sense. At a fleeting glance the mare looked like any other. Strangely colored perhaps, but not more than the foreigners that had been brought along for the ride as the green labyrinth was torn from one plane of existence to another. It was just that the lavender hue of the lady's skin was sweet enough to render her heart asunder, and every lash and wrinkle, every stub of hair and the lilac of her eyelids, everything down to the silken locks of hair was perfect. Too perfect. So much so that it could never be the shell of any mortal soul.

Only a goddess could be so flawless.

The child longed to move nearer, if only to see the sheer perfection from up close. With a slip and a shrug she escaped the protective embrace of her mothers wing and began to weave through the milling crowd. She had some practice in evading hooves, legs and flicking tails; this was nothing compared to the chaos of a battlefield. Her movements were agile, if not very fast, and while the filly tried not to think about it every step hurt. Blisters - or boils, rather - were rubbing against one another on the inside of her thighs, painful and full of fluid, ready to burst at a wrong move. The pain of them was on the level of Bear God drool - a searing aching itch you couldn't even imagine until it was all over your skin.

Erthë was just about to inch across the last stretch of ground towards the Lady Moon when something caught her eye, something so fascinating it even tore her attention away from the goddess. Blinking in astonishment she altered her path and slipped in next to a mare of cream and gold, horn-crowned and so pretty that if the Moon hadn't been there she might have been the focus of everyone's attention. Alas, compared to the lavender queen everyone paled; and in any case it hadn't been the dainty build or sweeping locks that caught the eye of the child.

"Does that hurt?" she asked, nearly breathless as she stared in awe at the chain that dangled between horn and ear. "Why do you have it on your face?"

Mother wouldn't have been pleased that she forgot to introduce herself, though Erthë didn't realize she had been rude until she'd already spoken. She twisted awkwardly where she stood, downy wings and over-long tail writhing in curiosity and embarrassment, and if horses could blush she would have been bright red about the cheeks where she looked up at the stranger.

blow   a     kiss
fire a gun
we don't need somebody to lean on

image credits

@Rexanna   Thread placed during the Green Labyrinth discovery, before the battle.
@Random Events - because boils

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark

It seemed as though everyone had been completely captivated by the lilac before me. I was also distracted in its entirety due to the fact that I had no idea who this was. However, the awkwardness of the crowd had me believing it was quite possibly the Goddess of the Moon? Hearing the slight whispers flow out between the crowds probably about this creature I had heard so much about right after arriving in Helovia. I really wasn’t sure what to make of her. I didn’t know anyone that was openly affected by her rampage, or so I thought.

Nobody really told me much about the history of this place. I did remember when I met Tembovu that Mauja had mentioned the deity the Edge followed had gone pretty insane; but I didn’t really know much else. Mauja had even taught me who my deity was, even though I hadn’t come across anything really related to him thus far. I figured I probably would in the future, though I couldn’t be entirely sure.

I had grown lost in my thoughts before a small voice brought me back into my reality; blinking a few times with my glossy blue eyes that had seemed to drift from the lilac goddess and off into space randomly. Swinging my head to search for the sound, I noticed a small being next to me. She seemed rather young, and her question couldn’t help but make me smile slightly. Nobody else had really asked me much about my jewelry, and something to keep my mind off of things was absolutely always welcome.

Dipping my head a bit lower to her I offered a small and silent hello before shaking my head no. “No, it doesn’t hurt. It’s clasped around my horn and attached at my mane behind my ear.” I spoke gently with a smile gleaming off of my lips as well as my eyes. “I’ve had it ever since I was a child… Probably your age?” My words ended in a bit of a question as I didn’t want to offend her if she was older than I suspected, but I did get an entire feeling that she was quite young. Possibly by her looks and possibly by her manners. Though she seemed ravaged by something I remembered seeing similarly to Ashamin and Ode back in the Basin.

I am Rexanna, but I go by Rex for short.” I offered her another smile with a gentle wink of my blacked out eyes. White lashes in stark contrast to the darkness that surrounded my eyes and drifted down my face. My golden body a bit brighter and lighter in comparison to my Lord I had been standing near, though the fog and smoke caused the typical golden clean to switch into a more dull shine.  “Who might you be?” I questioned her gently. If she were a foal, she would have been the first one I’d seen here. The thought of a little one running around was pretty nice to think about, though how ravaged and beaten up she looked did have a hint of worry in the back of my mind. What did everyone get into that caused such issues? And an even bigger question, was it contagious?

the dim lit peacocks in the trees are hiding their eyes and their beauty, like me.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Erthe & @RandomEvent (Chan asked me to tag because of the boils <3)
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Chan

The fidgeting stopped when she wasn't told off. Instead the frail fawn stared in unabashed admiration at the dangling chain, its golden links gleaming and reflecting in her one good eye even through the dusk of the bamboo forest.

"It's so pretty" she breathed, looking awestruck. "But why do you wear it? Did your ma tell you to?"

But formalities did not tolerate waiting any longer. The maiden introduced herself and the child had to save her questions for later, bound by common decency, as mother called it, to reply.

"Hi, Rexanna, it is nice to meet you" she chanted, in the droning voice used when repeating something learned by heart. "My name is Er.. Erttte.. Ere, I am two weeks old - soon three!" It was a bit embarrassing to not even be able to say her own name right, but she had trouble with those lisping sounds. Couldn't da have given her some easier to say name? Like.. like Vlasi... but no, that wasn't very easy to say either.

There, now formalities are over, right? With all the patience of running water she looked from Rex to the Moon Lady and back, with a rather smug and secretive look on her face.

"Do you know who that is? It's the Moon! I thought the moon was white but Mom said that's the moon goddess... How does that work?" The young brow furrowed in through, and rather absentminded she shifted her stance so that the painful sores on her legs wouldn't rub against one another.

blow   a     kiss
fire a gun
image credits

@Rexanna

@Random Event - boils

This little hybrid creature was brazen, but I couldn’t help but glow at the innocent smile and excitement that radiated around the little filly. The compliment made me smile and I dipped my head gently, golden chain writhing like a snake back and forth with the light glinting off in different spots here and there. Why did I wear it? That was a good question. I had always said I was born with it, but that was a lie. Servants were never deserving of jewelry. But I was different. It had been the King to make me wear it in the hopes of it making me look more princess-like. While the attempt was there, it still failed. I shook my head lightly, pushing the thoughts that clouded my mind away to focus on the pure beam of innocence in front of me.

No, my dear.” I emitted a small giggle of a laugh. “My father did.” I added in, my smile still glowing at this little child who’s excitement and curiosities had me more excited and happy about life than anything else. And she wasn’t even my child. I guess I just enjoyed children. I had never really spent much time around them, even back home. There weren’t really many foals where I was at all times. Hidden away, almost. Forgotten.

I was thankful for this little one to drag my mind back from the shadows it crept toward as she spoke again. The hello was quite the interesting one, however, I was quite pleased to know that my name wasn’t nearly as hard to pronounce as hers appeared to be for her. I wasn’t exactly sure what to call her, was it Erte? Perhaps I should stick with a nickname, much like the one she gave herself before she finished her speech. Ere. My ears perked up and heart lurched lightly at the idea that this little one was only two weeks old and looked in that condition. I began to wonder what her mother looked like. Was her mother like this as well? Was it something passive? No, it couldn’t have been. Ashamin and Ode had similar effects. I couldn’t figure out what was going on with this.

My eyes watched Erthe as her head swung back and forth to the goddess and to me, the attention back and forth as if she couldn’t figure it out. “It’s nice to meet you too, Ere.” I said softly. However, her next few words informed me while I had spent the last few moments guessing at who this lavender lady of the night might have been. So she was the Moon Goddess. Ere’s little question made me laugh gently, turning my gaze onto the Goddess. “You know, that’s a wonderful question. Perhaps one day we’ll find out!” My voice was calm and held a bit of excitement for her before turning my gaze back onto the little one. “May I ask you how you got your ouchies?” I questioned lightly, lowering my head a little bit more to inspect the little filly just a bit more. “They look painful, dear.” I murmured, ears twitching to the sounds of the surroundings.

the dim lit peacocks in the trees are hiding their eyes and their beauty, like me.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Erthë

Chan

Her thoughtful frown brightened into a happy expression when the pretty lady laughed. She laughed! Oh, what a wonderful feeling, to be able to make someone do that! It was infectious too, the good kind anyway, because it made her giggle along. In the excitement the delicate child skipped and jumped on the spot, a merry little dance that only ended when one of the usual coughing fits glued her back onto the ground.

They were tiring, and she couldn't really see why she coughed all the time. It was as though something along the way between nose and lung was being poked and prodded, but it was also a burning and stinging like bear god blood as she inhaled. They didn't last long but left her breathless and panting, drained in a way that hours of talking or playing couldn't accomplish.

And yet, as soon as she found the strength to speak again, the child kept smiling. The frail constitution did nothing to dull her bright nature or fill the gluttonous appetite on life. By the time she looked up she was already talking again, blabbering on as though she didn't have a concern in the world.

"That was awfully nice of him! My papa is nice too, but when he gets angry he can be really scary. He scolded me once, I sneaked out, and you wouldn't believe how angry they all were when I got home!"

She swaggered back and forth around Rexanna, boasting with the kind of pride only one who loved from the bottom of her heart could about being yelled at. She giggled at being addressed with the accidental nickname, happiness spreading like something warm and soft and wonderful inside. She felt something great had happened just then, like the moment they shared belonged to just them and no one else. It was like a good secret, a hidden gift, a ray of light illuminating frost on a flower bud.

But... then a cloud passed and the sun faded from her eyes. Rexanna asked about the boils and Erthë became quite still, her eyes growing distant as the unpleasant memories welled up inside. Well, one eye at least. The left one saw nothing at all; it was blind, dead, destroyed by cursed blood. Soon it would begin to rot within its socket, but for now Erthë only felt mild discomfort whenever she blinked. It kept watering and leaking so that her cheek became stained with foul smelling liquids. She hated it, hated the boils that swelled and burst and bled all over her legs. Ah, it made her feel so dirty, so tainted...

"I walked into a red forest" she responded automatically, but some of the eagerness had died away and the voice was mechanical. "Then a big bear appeared. They said it was a god, but he was sick... Mother thinks that's where I got them. She was itching an awful lot too..."

A shudder passed through the child and she pressed the downy wings tighter against the slender sides, suddenly chilled despite the temperature of the air being so much higher than her own.

"I don't like this place" she added. Sea-green eye jerked back onto Rex, unspoken angst aging her by months as she inched closer. "It feels wrong and fake, just like the red forest, and she is here too, just like the Time man was. Something is going to happen...."

blow   a     kiss
fire a gun
image credits

@Rexanna

I couldn’t help but to watch the little filly with curiosity as she spoke about her father. He seemed nice, he seemed to care. I’m sure him freaking out at her not being home on time was probably due to good parenting and the terrifying thought of losing a child. I just smiled and nodded to her, wishing deep down that my own father had worried that much. Well, the King at least. I never got to meet my true father. After all, he was killed right after I was born. Being the product of an affair was a treacherous event and I couldn’t fathom the thought of what my mother felt when she found out she was pregnant. I often wondered what my father had looked like in comparison to the dark markings and stripes the King had. It was no wonder he knew I wasn’t his.

As Erthe began to speak of what happened to cause the boils upon her skin, I couldn’t help but let worry furrow on my brow. I nodded gently to her. “I’m sorry you had to go through that.” I said softly, lifting my head lower toward her softly and offering her a bright smile to lift her spirits. The smile began to fade as I felt the worry make its way through the filly. The next set of words she said made my gut drop a little bit. If it was just like the forest, I really didn’t want anything to do with it. I hadn’t endured any true physical pain since arriving in Helovia and there was good reason for that. However, the thought of this filly getting hurt made my skin crawl.

That’s when I realized I did indeed carry those motherly instincts that I wasn’t ever so sure if I had. Back when I had been pregnant with Calstron’s child, he never seemed to care about anything related to me. I figured I’d have to care for the little one myself before he tortured me and I lost it. I often placed the blame on myself for that situation even happening to me, but as I grew older I realized I had no control over anything. I was in unfamiliar territory, his family and guards all were blessed with wings whereas I was not. There wasn’t going to be a chance of me escaping that place, and as much as I wished I carried it deep within me, I wasn’t brave enough to attempt anything like that.

Perhaps today would prove me wrong. Instead, I just nodded to her slowly and gazed across the crowd that was pulsating with hatred and curiosity in a muddled mess. I lowered my head back to her and decided to change the conversation before the winds blew everything into chaos with what I was sure was going to happen. Shifting my weight onto my other few hooves, I offered her a small smile. “Perhaps it’s a coincidence? You sound quite brave, Ere. Much braver than I am.” I smiled to her, a bigger one this time. Hoping that perhaps it would make her happy to see that I acknowledged the fact of her bravery in comparison to my own; which deep down I knew that this three week old filly had more courage and bravery in every strand of her hair than I did in my whole being.

I know a girl who shares a name with a guardian. She was a saint.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Erthë

Chan

Why was it so much harder to return to a cheerful mindset than to slip down into fear and unease? The filly curled her tail in appreciation of the kind words but couldn't really feel them do any difference. It was sad that she had seen horrible things at such a tender age, but she had neither the perspective nor the experience to understand that. It wasn't her age that was unfortunate to her, it was the whole fact that someone would go so far as to kill and defile someone just because they didn't agree. What bothered the child even more was that she couldn't quite bring herself to hate the swirl-marked god who had ordered it either... because even though she was young the girl was intelligent enough to understand that he wouldn't have done it if there had been another way. Or would he? What would have happened if the big, mad bear god had been left alive? Would he have done bad things, or would everything have worked out just fine?

Erthë didn't know. She didn't know that god, nor did she know the time man. Her eyes traveled to the Moon lady, a touch of doubt staining her admiration of the goddess... but as she regarded her it was as though the sheer beauty and elegance of the exalted being made her uncertainties melt away.

No, she wasn't sure, and she had no way of knowing what was right and wrong because no one had ever told her that. Even if what she did was a sin and a crime, at least she wasn't alone? The goddess was doing something, like the god before had done before, and she had been asked to help (at least that time). It was a comforting thought, if not altogether noble, and it helped the small girl settle down. Gradually she relaxed, and by the time she looked back at Rex the smile had returned to her eyes.

"Brave? What is brave? Why am I that but not you?" The tiny chiseled head tilted in query; it was a word she didn't know, a concept she didn't understood. At least the suggestion that this was no more than her mind playing tricks on her - like the shadows she thought crawled in the forest when she slept there with mom - was comforting...

If only her stomach could have believed it too. It kept fluttering and churning with warning and premonition, and the filly threw a glance around to see where mother had gone... ah, there she was. Glaring daggers and bristling as their eyes met, but grudgingly returning her bright, eager smile with a dark-lipped, surly one that spoke volumes of the telling off she would get once they were alone again.

At least the mare was there this time, which was more than she could have asked for.

blow   a     kiss
fire a gun
image credits

@Rexanna

I nodded gently to the filly as she questioned my word about Bravery. It took me a little bit to figure out how to explain it to her. It wasn’t so much a matter of trying to figure out how to explain it for a brand new life to understand, but a way of explaining it to show her the things she was that I was not. She was fearless in the place where I was terrified. She was courageous where I was a coward. She was bold in her own little heroism way, where I would turn and run and let things happen. She was everything I wasn’t. And I was nearly five years old.

Ears twitched to her, aqua eyes dancing along her pale coat paired with the infection she bore. A small soft spot in the pit of my stomach began to grow at the reminder of something in front of me that I couldn’t have. I figured had he lived, he would have been nearly two years old. For it had been before my third birthday that I lost him. Erthë looked nothing like how he would have been now. Where she was white like porcelain, he was a darkened blood color, paired with the gold and black that both I and his father bore.

Well, enough with the reminiscing. I lowered my head to her and smiled giving her a nod. “Brave, my dear, means that you aren’t afraid of anything. And that in itself is a wonderful thing to have.” I smiled a wider smile to her, aqua eyes closing for mere moments before turning my head back up to the lilac goddess that stood before us. However, before I could hear Erthë reply to me, the goddess began to speak and I was thoroughly intruiged. I turned my face back down to the child, clearing my throat gently to speak in the breaks of the goddess so she could hear me.

It was nice meeting you Erthë, but it seems we have things to do.” I nodded to her, offering her a gentle nicker, before turning away and facing the Goddess of the Moon in a patient wait for the information she would speak.

I know a girl who shares a name with a guardian. She was a saint.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Erthë Sorry its terrible xD BUT REX IS OUT <3