the Rift

[PRIVATE] i’m callin you yellow-bellied

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Ranjiri was fine. Her wing would need a healer and some time, but she was alive. So was Ampere and Ilios and Amani. Meg had seen them, spoken to them… But what of Tandavi? What of Aithniel? The sultana had found no bodies and heard to reports of death save a strange bear-god that had been slain, so her worry was eased for now but she would not be satisfied until they were seen by her own black eyes. No, worry was gone, but for a riled Sultana that left only anger.

Her ire was sourced from several streams but it found it’s target in Cathun… Cathun the Coward. He had come with news and that was no crime, but he had not come with news of a win or a loss but a battle just begun. Because he had left. LEFT! A warrior of Dragon’s Throat was trusted with the safety of his herdmates but when they had stood to fight for Helovia he had run. She remembered vaguely his babbled excuses, how he’d thought his presence would make no difference, but Meg could not forgive his cowardice. In Gaucho’s herd…No. In her herd loyalty would their strength, and the warriors would be expected to honor that, whether they lived or died they would never abandon one of their own. And the coward had run.

So south she went, and home, to exact her punishment.

“CATHUN!!” She bellowed across the blooming sands as soon as she made landfall in the Throat. She’d flown fast and hard but still almost two days had passed since she had gone north. Her muscles threatened to tighten and seize and even her light armor felt so heavy, but adrenaline and pure determination drove her on and she marched on foot from the coast towards the oasis. Perhaps Gaucho had already delt with him, but she’d be damned if he’d get away from her that easy. “CATHUN, YOU WILL ANSWER TO ME!” She shouted his name again and with a great push of energy thrust her beacon into the sky. It blazed, a pillar of pure sunshine for all the Throat to see. He would answer for what he’d done.

"."
[ooc// Set after the Bloodfalls fight and before Meg goes to the Deep Forrest/Labyrinth. Private for simplicity's sake but if you have a reason to butt in run it by me :)]

knock me out, knock me out
sayin that i want more, this is what i live for

patriota--studios // @Cathun
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Cathun Posts: 88
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai

He answered her summons but it was neither humility nor shame that reflected in the blazing fires of his eyes as he trudged up to the blinding beacon of a mare. It was defiance, stubbornness, self-righteousness and injured pride, because regardless of what everyone else thought by now the young colt was not a coward. He had his own reasons for moving away from the battlefield, and it irked him beyond belief that they berated him for it.

"What!?" he snapped at the sultana once he was within speaking range, reluctance evident in his voice. He loathed being shouted at, but the look of naked fury on her face made him wary. Cathun made sure to keep a good bit of distance between her and himself, just in case she felt like becoming violent. He wouldn't put it past her - she was a mare, after all, and like every other member of her gender group, notoriously fickle.

Overall, coming back to the Throat had been just as unpleasant and suffocating as he had feared. The place had never felt much like home to him, he had stayed because Amaris was there, because he'd heard that Tandavi was supposed to be there, because his father had told him he'd get help... Ha. Fat load of help he'd gotten too, with everyone crying about gods and priests as soon as he asked.

To hell with all of it, and them too!

He kicked a stone aside, steeling himself for whatever the Sultana had to say. He would listen this time, but if she started nagging about duty and family and all that shit he would be out of there, for good this time.

It wasn't like he even cared.

Cathun
The firebrand

@Megaera

» Magic and Violence is permitted at all times
» Please tag me!

The boy that sparked like glowing embers answer her summons quick enough and it struck Megaera that that was really what he was… a boy. It was a colt barely grown into a stallion that sulked up to meet her, all defiance and foolish pride. Someone had slapped the title of warrior on him because he was found a strong, rough and ready, but a colt with attitude didn’t make a warrior. There was a difference between an vigilante and a soldier; Meg knew that, because it was how Gaucho had saved her. She had been young, angry, and restless and he had given her a place to focus that, given her a purpose for it. Instead of hitting a self-destruct like she had been on the path towards, she had become a warrior of Dragon’t Throat, and maybe Cathun needed the same.

It was that realization that decided her course of action. He would get a chance, she thought, one more chance to learn and to decide whether he would commit himself to the herd or be cast out. In Megaera’s mind there was no middle ground. she was all in for the herd she had come to love and lead and would accept no half baked loyalties from anyone else. Being a part of Dragon’s Throat had to mean something because if it didn’t then she meant nothing.

When he stopped, so did she and the Sultana stared at the young stallion across the distance. Despite how tired she was, his self-righteous little snap gave her the urge to strike him but she remembered her father, and her promise to be better than he ever was. No, he was still a member of her family and she would not strike her family. Cathy would get another chance, but the Sunspear would kiss the Moon Goddess before she made it easy on him.

When she moved toward him, she went slowly, the fire in her face gone cold and hard as stone. She halted when they were almost nose to nose and for several long seconds she did nothing but stare, deathly serious and deathly still. Then, she turned her head to reach back between her wing joint and the leather of her armor to pull out the cargo she had carried with her from the Bloodfalls, a mouthful of golden feathers stained red with blood. The Sunspear spat them into the stallions face and waited… waited until they had fluttered to the ground before stating in a flat tone that carried every threat imaginable, “That’s what.”

patriota--studios // @Cathun
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Tai

The fires burning in place of mane and tail snapped and crackled in the wind. Paired with the radiating warmth and golden glow it could have been peaceful and soothing, but the sound only made him restless and agitated.

He stared at the bay lady as she approached, wary despite himself. Cathun had expected her to continue shouting, to scream accusations and orders in his face as if he didn't have ears to hear with, but instead he was met with a cold, steely silence. It unsettled him more than he wanted her to know, but even though he tried to hide it the growing uncertainty shone through in everything he did. The restless shuffle with the feet, the constant flicking with the head to jerk away hair no longer fell into his eyes, every watchful glance in her direction.

Those burning eyes narrowed as the Sunspear stopped inches from him. Cathun suppressed a desire to take a step back and glared instead even more angrily as she reached back and pulled something from the battle leathers, something long and shimmering, black tipped in gold...

He stared blankly at the feathers as they fluttered to the ground. What was that about, a roundabout challenge of some sort? Drop the glove, the fool who picks it up have to fight for life and pride... But no. There was something oddly familiar about the black and the gold and as he stared at them, at the blood staining those gleaming feathers, an icy weight settled in his gut.

"What about them..?" he retorted coldly as he looked up at the mare. But his voice wasn't half as confident as it had been, and there was a quiet, unspoken dread blooming behind the eyes.

No. No no no. It was a mistake, he didn't know, he didn't see...

The Firebrand took a step back, dreading the answer.

Cathun
The firebrand

@Megaera

» Please tag me!

The young stallion reacted as she hoped he would. Meg did not know how much he and the golden girl had interacted, but he had called her by name in his report so he at least knew who she was. The Sunspear’s face did not shift and she watched him for signs or recognition. At first she thought maybe he wouldn’t realize, or maybe just wouldn’t care, in which case she would had taken his key and sent him packing. He spoke as if he could not guess but she saw it, just barely, that flicker of knowing, of disbelief, and then he stepped ever so slightly away.

He had been lucky this time, his retreat in the middle of battle had not cost any lives. He’d said he hand’t though his presence would have made a difference, and maybe it hadn’t but it could have; maybe one day it would. That was what meg could not let go of, she had to be able to trust, to believe that her family would be able to protect each other if she could not.

Cathun needed to know the consequences, needed to feel them, so Meg pressed on with her test. He had to show that he cared, had to prove this would not happen again before she would be satisfied. She took a step forward, matching the distance he had retreated and spoke again in the same flat voice but quite this time. “Her name was Ranjiri.” She did not lie, but the Sunspear deliberately used the past tense. It did not mean that it was not still true, but for now, Cathun didn’t need to know that. "She was a Crafter of Dragon’s Throat, Daughter of Midas the Gallant who was once Sultan in these sands and that is her blood that was spilled. Desert blood. Dragon blood.” She left a long pause to let that sink in. “An artisan who stayed and fought when a warrior ran home. You need to tell me why, Cathun.” Emotion broke through on the last sentence, not a plea but there was more grief than rage, because she truly needed and answer. Don’t make me give up on you. Don’t make me cast you out.

"."
[ooc//]

patriota--studios

@Cathun
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Tai

“Her name was Ranjiri...”

No.

He didn't want to hear it. He wanted to shut his eyes, hold the ears and scream to block out the sound of her voice. Dread was spreading through his veins like cold ice, numbing his every cell and freezing him in place.

It wasn't true, it couldn't be true, she had been alive and well, her eyes had been gleaming and strong and determined only a short while ago. Only days had passed, how could she be... was she even... But those were her feathers, he couldn't deny the truth any longer.

No, no no no don't say it, don't say it! No, he hadn't done it, it wasn't his fault, just shut up and go away, no don't say it, no no

"...and that is her blood..."

"NO!"

And his scream was the sound of a wounded animal. He stared wildly at Megaera, at the feathers, at the dried blood that plastered the fine down together. Anger faded into confusion, into disbelief as he pushed forward, threatening to actually shove into her broad chest. Careless hooves trampled dangerously close to the beautiful, horrible evidence, his stomach was sinking below the surface of the earth it seemed and in his desperation he could only deny everything the Sunspear said.

"Shut up! Don't say... No!"

But the words just kept coming, merciless and ringing with nothing but truth.

"An artisan who stayed and fought when a warrior ran home."

"Yes, but... but I..."

Strangely, he couldn't quite remember why he had left anymore. Something about stupid pride, a silly necklace breaking... It all faded as memories rose of her, the only one who'd actually told him the truth. She had been stubborn, annoying, a nosy know-it-all... but he had liked that part about her.

You're frustrating! If you won't ask I'll do it myself... Do you want to die?... I want to help you...

Numbly he fell back, air constricting in his lungs so he couldn't breathe. Something much kinder that fire burned in his eyes now and Cathun closed them, turned his face away to hide his grief.

Why had he... Like it mattered. Why had he... What difference did it make? Why.. To save his own sorry skin, that's why. To save himself he had sacrificed her, the kind stranger who selfishly offered to help save his life, who had said she'd place herself in debt for his sake.

And he raged against the injustice of it and died with each breath, drowning in shame that hadn't made sense until now.

"You need to tell me why, Cathun."

His head fell, hanging low from the shoulders for the first time since he arrived. He didn't look at her as he answered, but nor did he wrap the words in silk or tell only half the truth.

"I'm dying" he said, contemptuously as though he wished he was already dead. Gone, erased from existence - anything so that she would still be alive.

"My mother defied a god by loving my father, and they punished her by cursing me. This charm is the only thing keeping me alive, but it's failing already and the magic in this place is weakening the spell even further. Getting close to so much raw power would have destroyed it for good... I don't want to fight for any god either. Doesn't matter who, they're all the same in the end."

Only now did the old hatred rise in his voice again, but muted, muffled by grief. Cathun raised his head then, quite abruptly, his cheeks lined with tears.

"I told her to leave!" he said, pleading. "I said the place was dangerous, she should have come with me! Why did.. why... Why didn't she come w-with me!?"

He cried, but no longer cared. It felt as though a void had opened up inside him, black and cold and endlessly dull. All around him spring was in full throw but he saw none of it - only the face of a girl he had left behind.

Cathun
The firebrand

@Megaera

» Please tag me!

Megaera had never had a cold heart. It had been bitter once, and sometimes it was still and angry one, but never cold. She loved her herd passionately; loved the desert and the people who made it their home enough to lay down her life for each and everyone of them but that did not mean she was gentle. Mordecai, her own beloved daughter might pull out a softness in her, and other foals might find it there as well if she sought to comfort them but Cathun warranted no such motherly instinct. If he wanted to lable himself a man and warrior under the rule of the Sun, then he would get the Sunspear

She let her temper reign because she had not yet the wisdom to restrain it. Technically she said nothing that was untrue but she chose her words with venom. If he thought Ranjiri was dead, if he could feel the loss for one of his herd, then just maybe he deserved to be counted among them. If he could feel the guilt for what his cowardice might have caused her would know why she would accept no such weakness in her fighters. Megaera was determined that no warrior under her reign would ever give her cause to doubt that they would fight to their last breath to protect one of their own. That's what warriors were for.

Though she watched him protest, watched him wilt and weep her anger simply would not allow her to relent, to ease his pain by offering the whole truth, but his confession gave her pause. The story of his curse certainly made his reluctance to honor and fight for the God of Spark but it made no difference, gods or monsters be damned her had left his herd"Gods are strange things and I can understand you anger towards their kind. While you are a member of this herd it is understood that you should hold a proper respect for the God of the Sun, for these are his lands and we live here by his grace, but I will not hold you to fighting for the the gods of Helovia." She paused to draw a long slow breath before continuing in her deep feminine timber. "I will, however, hold you to honoring this herd. This is the Dragon's Throat and we are a family. Without loyalty to one another we have nothing, and if you choose to remain here that we have to be able to rely on you, to trust you. I have to be able to trust you."

Megaera face words and features eased some for spoke as she truly believed. Her passion almost pleaded with the stallion to understand, to feel the way she did. This family she had made in these sands meant everything to her and she asked nothing of Cathun (or of any of them) that she would not give a thousand times over. "To be a warrior is to answer to a sacred calling. You are pledging you life and honor to protect others. A warrior cannot flee because they fear their own death, not when by doing so they risk those who cannot protect themselves. Ranjiri understood that. She believed in fighting for something bigger than just herself. If you wish to remain a warrior here, that is what I expect of you." She stared then, head high and proud and waited. It was up to the stallion whether he remained. If he stayed maybe they could even help him, but Megaera was stubborn... He had to budge first. 

"."
[ooc// Sorry this took so long, I've had a case of dead by-work]

patriota--studios
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Tai

He barely heard her answer, nor the long stream of words that followed. Tears kept leaking down the mottled cheeks and in his heart a chasm of grief kept swallowing up every stray feeling that flared up whenever he attempted to understand what she was saying. Hatred reared its ugly head at the mention of honoring or respecting this Sun God or whatever, he wanted to hiss and spit and object like he had done before, in another conversation... but even the memory of that became a spear of pain that stabbed through the anger, because it had been the first time he ever really talked to Ranjiri and it had been an argument. He had been arrogant and condescending towards the sweet girl, and the guilt over that too was in no way made up by the fact that they had parted in agreement.

Again he wanted to react when the mention of family, honor, loyalty flashed past. What family? How could he call any of these horses family when he barely even knew who was part of the herd or not? How could he feel any loyalty towards a bunch of strangers that had done nothing for him during these short months since his arrival? He hadn't even been properly greeted and introduced to anyone, just pushed in line after a quick exchange and left to figure things out as he went along. How was he supposed to feel any honor at the thought of dying in line of duty when he couldn't even say that he cared for anyone in this herd? They were just a gathering of strangers to him, some more familiar than others but every single one an unknown entity. Even Amaris, the sole reason why he was there at all, had disappeared somewhere without a word. So much for her promise to help him. So much for whatever shared history or false feeling that had made him think of her as a sister.

Not even blood mattered much, because the father that had promised to follow behind was nowhere to be seen, occupied with this or that - things that clearly mattered more than his only son.

But Cathun said none of these things, because it didn't matter anymore. Ranjiri was gone and it was his fault, and even though he felt somewhere that Megaera was expecting something from him he didn't know what it was, and didn't know what to say or do to give it to her.

"Okay" he whispered, voice hoarse and cracked with grief. The boy looked broken where he stood, tail drooping and head hung low towards the ground. So different from the arrogant brat that had stomped in when called upon, defiant and proud.

"Whatever you say. Can... Can I go now, please? I-I'd like to be alone..."

He didn't really expect her to permit it, but the weight of her gaze was oppressive and he felt choked, stifled, as if something was constricting around his wind pipes and made it near impossible to breathe.

In an afterthought the colt reached down and picked up one of the bloodstained feathers. The shimmering, clotted downs tickled the black velvet of salt-stained lips, and if he breathed in the colt imagined he could make out the scent of his friend, faded and faint and so sweet it made his heart ache with the loss of her.

If a breaking heart could make a sound, it would be like the shattering of glass and rain upon a deserted battlefield.

Cathun
The firebrand

@Megaera - soooo sorry for the wait. Dunno, should we wrap this up maybe? :)

» Please tag me!