the Rift

[OPEN] Beyond the Green Lies the Sea

Kelso Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: kelsopaidani_by_theartlex-d93hesl.gif]

K E L S O

So long as the sun doth rise over this green sanctuary, 
I believe every day deserves the chance to be the best of days.

Creatures were indeed coming out from their hiding places, the chill of Frostfall. He had spent most of it keeping warm near to his red wood tree, the rocks providing suitable covering, a small little den in the corner of the woods that sheltered the Ancient Rotunda. The mild elevation also kept the ground dry enough to sleep despite the rainfall. Still it had been a quiet season, and the loneliness seemed to eat away at him more than usual. The crimson and navy virile often found himself pondering things in the Rotunda, hooves echoing on its stone floor with none but his songbird friend that remained to keep him company. Kelso had once come to the conclusion that he might take flight and visit the Hidden Falls, but bad weather kept him grounded. He occupied himself with the Rotunda's upkeep and tending the forest, visiting his mother's grave site in Thistle Meadow and learning a tune or two with his comrade. The beast had a fairly good voice, though none were subject to it save for the quietly slumbering trees and woodland life.

All that was behind now as Frostfall faded away into gradually into Birdsong. His path clear, the skies clearing and the sun peeking through fleeing cloud cover, Kelso had decided to venture out of the woods and towards the Western coast. The smell of the sea hit him even before the waters came into view. The earth soon became crusty before it was completely sand. Bat-like wings, a deep crimson color were spread, the sun warming and illuminating so that you might chance to see the little vessels and nerves that made his wings very much living limbs. Birdsong's warmth was very much welcomed. The digit tipped ends of his wings drew lines on the sand as he skipped forth to dip his hooves into the ocean. The waters were cool but not so, they were rather welcoming. The hellion had not spied another presence, though today he was not trying much to hide from unwanted company. Company in fact might be very much welcomed. Gentle tradewinds combed his dark blue threads. With a snort he flapped his wings and plunged into the sea, enjoying the sensation and letting most of his worries just wash away. Thoroughly bathed in seawater he walked the shore a bit more, keeping his legs half submerged in the waters as he went, wings now dragging along on the water's surface.

Sometimes a change of scenery is good for a troubled mind. His dam's words and the warmth of her voice echoed in his memories. Kelso once more contemplated making the journey to other lands....to seek adventure he had only ever heard in his mother's story or merely dreamed of.

====

OOC: open for any and all. PLEASE TAG KELSO.

"SPEECH"

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
With the spring came tradewinds, and with the winds came the best flying of the year. Nasreen was well aware of this fact, and on this sunny day she decided to venture forth from the Throat for a day of freewheeling fun. With the air shifting beneath her wings, the she took to the sky, heading east. Of course, she would have preferred some company, but Ilios was nowhere to be found and Bucephalus was still away. So off she went by herself, hoping that perhaps someone would join her along the way.

As she flew, she hummed and sang snippets of old festival songs to pass the time. Occasionally her grey eyes would cloud when thinking of the dear home now lost to her forever, but Nasreen had found that the melodies were a way to remember Th’orqui and her family. It was strange, to think that she had now lived longer outside of her ancestral lands than within them. How different life would have been, she mused, if the uprising had never occurred. She would be a princess with all of the privileges and responsibilities of a royal, and perhaps by this time, Quilyan would have been king. Like memories of her lost kingdom, thoughts of her oldest brother bring tears to the girl’s eyes. She still didn’t know what had befallen him in the chaos of the Moon’s rampage, and though she hoped that somewhere out there he was still alive, she was almost certain that he was not. But Nasreen didn’t want to dwell on it today. She’d taken this flight to forget about everything, only if for an afternoon, so pushing the thoughts to the back of her mind, she dove and spiraled, whooping with exhilaration. Shifting her primaries, she balanced on the breeze, practicing her aerial control for the next hour. It felt good to stretch her wings.  

Eventually when she tired, the crash of the waves on the beach below beckoned to her, and lazily the girl drifted downwards to land on the white sands of the Endless Blue. Snorting in satisfaction, Nasreen trotted into the shallows, letting the sea swirl around her milky legs. The salty spray coated her body and clung to her hair in a myriad of crystal droplets, but she didn’t mind. With the warmth of the sun beating down upon her back, it would dry quickly enough. Enjoying the surf, Nasreen walked along the shoreline, ears pricked for signs of life. She didn’t have to wait long. Soon, a dark figure appeared in the distance, and as Nasreen ambled on in his direction, she saw that he was walking towards her as well. As he drew closer, the young mare saw that he was a large red bay. Powerful bat wings were folded against his back. While she once would have been more apprehensive at the sight of a strange male, loneliness and curiosity made a powerful combination. Instead of retreating, her pace quickened slightly. She hoped to catch the stranger, even if just for a brief exchange of small talk. “Hello!” she called out cheerfully as she approached. “Beautiful day, isn’t it?” With a glance at his wings, she nodded at the sky with a smile. “Perfect for flying.”

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link

@Kelso
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Unregistered

K E L S O

Kelso could not seem to contain himself on such a promising day, before long he found himself singing softly, an old tune his mother sang to him on many a time (often when Birdsong came). The song was old, his dam had explained, and it rang much like a children's song with a light and jovial feel to it. The brute soon feel to simply humming the tune as he ventured a little deeper so that sea rose midway up his barrel. The resistance as he walked was a bit welcomed, feeling his bones and fibers working to move the powerful stallion forward. Kelso was no warrior, but he made do what he could with what the evergreen and countryside provided him to stay vigilant. In any case, while he might be bested on the battle field, the red hermit had a humble confidence challenging a foe in his woodland home. Today however he had left the evergreen to its rousing. As he strolled half-submerged, he felt something tickle against his leg. At first he thought nothing until he felt another touch and then another. His crane looked about, sapphires dropping to study the clear waters through the rolling tides.

Small silver beings, with silver translucent wings played about the pillars that were his limbs. A smile came upon his face as he began to move again and the small school of young silverfish seemed to follow along, playing, racing one now another, dancing through the sea grass that patches here and there. The crimson stallion was paying a tad more attention to the fish and not his path, so that when another avian equine appeared in the distance he did not spot her. Only when the sound of her splashing in the shallows shortly followed by her lyrics did his eyes spring up. Kelso seemed a bit startled at first, then his second reaction was pure shock. What had she said? Where had she come from? What do I do? Where can I hide myself? His thoughts raced as he attempted to best handle the situation. "Hello....I--"" The stallion was cut off as he lost his footing and fell on folded limbs on the seabed in a flurry of red and splashes. As he made to rise, a heavier tide wave washed in and he fell once more. Again he rose, quickly this time, his dark blue mane was now against his chest and over his eyes and a top his head a strand of kelp from the other reaches of the shore. Well this is embarrassing.... he concluded with a snort.

He tossed his head that most of his forelock might clear his visionaries before making way to towards where the mare stood. "Indeed perfect for flying...and dare I add swimming as well." at this he smiled warmly and even chuckled a little, still very much coy as he addressed the minx. She had beautiful chocolate colored wings, matching her silks, and warm earthy hues mingled with alabaster made up her coating. Kelso had dropped his wings to let them drip, but soon folded them up, trying to compact them, make them vanish if he could. As usual he felt small in the presence of the pegasus belle, self-conscious and awkward in light of her beauty. But then too he had perhaps made enough a fool of himself, maybe the day was overflowing with hope, that inside Kelso decided to chance just a tad more courage today and venture to speak to the femm without having a heart attack. "Have the rains also kept you grounded?" Inwardly he chided himself thinking the question a stupid one: of course it was hard to fly with the harsh weather. He attempted a different line of conversation then. "I-I'm Kelso. As pretty as today is, it is likewise a feat to over when the whales come to play later this season....unless of course they come early." Eyes drifted out...no whales today. Again he pondered how silly it was perhaps to bring up the whales.

====

OOC: <3 

PLEASE TAG KELSO.

"SPEECH"

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
The stranger began to greet her, but soon interrupted himself as he lost his balance in the shifting sand. Startled, Nasreen jumped back when he went crashing into the sea, letting out a slight gasp of concern as the rogue wave rolled in over him. However, he soon got to his feet appearing mostly unharmed, and the girl couldn’t help but suppress a small giggle at the frond of seaweed strung rather comically between his ears. “Are you all right?” she offered, moving forward. He reassured her as he made a joke, and then Nasreen laughed freely, eyes crinkling in merriment. Not everyone could laugh at themselves, but for someone who was often as clumsy on land as this stranger, she appreciated his self-deprecating sense of humor. “It is,” she agreed, smiling. When he introduced himself as Kelso, she nodded good-naturedly and returned with her own name. “I’m Nasreen,” she replied, Th’orquian accent coloring her speech slightly as she pronounced her name. “A pleasure to meet you, Kelso.”

He asked if the rains had kept her grounded, but as the skies over the Throat have been clear as of late, she can only shrug vaguely, unsure of the weather he referred to. What interested her more is Kelso’s mention of whales. He used the word while looking out over the sea, and a little apprehensively Nasreen followed his gaze. Was it good, that the whales weren’t here today? Not having grown up by the ocean, she was unfamiliar with the word. She assumed that they must be some sort of sea creature, but there was no telling if they were friendly, like the silver minnows who darted around their hooves, or if they were predators, like wolves of the deep. Perplexed, the girl turned towards her new acquaintance. “This might be silly,” Nasreen began, “but…what are whales? Are they dangerous?” she added in a rush, eyeing the waves nervously.

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link

@Kelso

Unregistered

K E L S O

The lady's laugh was a welcomed chime, though even so if his skin were able he might have been glowing red over his own clumsiness. It was easy to make light of matters most especially at his own expense, he was that kind of soul and the reward was in the mare's lightened spirits which put Kelso at ease somewhat. Nasreen was her name and a pretty name it was thought the crimson hellion as he committed it well to memory. Ears danced as he detected an accent in her speech, the sound new and fascinating to him and curiosity was not hidden in those deep blue orbs of the red stallion. The femm appeared puzzled by his mention of bad weather, and Kelso followed her glance to the clear skies above. The stallion took this as an indication that she perhaps thought him odd, while at the same time he chided himself for perhaps coming across that way. "Likewise...Nasreen. Um...storms have kept me grounded most of Frostfall and--" The stallion's voice trailed off as he rather could not think of what might be appropriate to add. This was perhaps just the end result of someone who's social skills were out of practice, having lived the life of a hermit among the wilds of Helovia. Kelso simple let the matter drop as he made to shift the conversation, aware this attempt to converse with the pretty pegasus was well off to a bumpy start.

His eyes had drifted out to see. The gulls were playing out on the surf, some flying overhead in pairs. No whales today, perhaps it was early still for them to arrive. Kelso's attention returned to the mare upon her asking of the whales. He was a bit coltish in appearance when he showed some surprise before pondering how he might describe the large beasts. Ears flicked as he turned a bit to face the belle again. At the same time, something was bothering him on his left ear. "Well...they are..." His deep crimson wings, a tad darker than his skin, reached forward so that the digit at the joint might scratch at his ear and likewise remove the strand of kelp that remained on his head. Great. The more the fool I must appear, he thought. "Hm. They are rather big fish. They are giants in size but as playful as the smaller dolphins. They romp and toss out where they won't be stranded on the shallows as a family with their pups. It really is a sight to see, by land or air."

Setting aside his humiliation a question ocurred to him. Without the brute's realizing, he was gradually relaxing. "You...are not from around here then? Well...I suppose not many call the wild's home...but then you must be from one of the Regions..." The crimson stag's face lit up as he wondered now where she might be from, perhaps she might describe more of the regions that he had only come to learn in old stories and tales.

====

PLEASE TAG KELSO.

"SPEECH"

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

“Well…” The red stallion spoke slowly, and Nasreen fidgeted a little in place, kicking slightly at the swirling tide as it rushed by and feeling denser by the second as he searched for words. She hadn’t intended to ask a difficult question, but the notion that she had put her companion ill at ease with her query bothered the copper-touched mare, and she was just beginning to grow uncomfortable at the idea of inconveniencing him when he spoke again. “They are..” A large leathery wing rotated forward to pluck the seaweed from its perch atop his head. Intrigued, Nasreen paused, curious eyes catching on the funny little claw that sprouted from the wing joint. What a useful appendage to have, she thought, a bit jealous that Kelso could scratch his ear with such ease. For her, it was always an endeavor—her wings did not stretch that far forward, and to try to sooth an itch with a hind leg was out of the question. With such cumbersome feathered limbs in the way, it was impossible to reach, scratch, and keep her balance simultaneously. Nasreen had always been forced to rely on trees, and so she found the extra digits quite handy. However, she said nothing and darted her eyes away quickly lest he think she was staring. Nasreen had been raised not to call attention to differences, and this definitely fell into that category.

“…they are rather big fish,” Kelso finally explained, putting her fears at ease when he mentioned their playful nature. As he went on, Nasreen imagined the giants that he described, rolling and dancing out in the waves—like a festival almost, she privately pictured. “I should like to see them someday,” she replied decisively, mind untangling itself from the remnants of her daydream. “They don’t have them where I come from.” As it turned out, she had inadvertently anticipated his next question, and when Kelso asked her in the same breath about her homeland, she turned to him with a bittersweet smile. “No,” she answered wistfully, “I’m not from here. I suppose I’m not from anywhere really, if the land where I was born is no more.” At the admittance, her eyes cast downwards, a small hint of the sadness that she was trying to keep at bay. “But yes, I live in the regions now—I rest my head in the Dragon’s Throat, though I once spent several seasons in the World’s Edge.” The girl managed to keep her voice even, miraculously concealing the weight of the guilt that still plagued her for the damage she had done in her time there. Perhaps if she had not abandoned her post, she would have been able to call the Edge home today, but she had shattered that chance when she’d failed to see the warning in the Moon’s words. There was no place for a disgraced Seer in those misty forests she knew, and though the pain was not as sharp now as it had been before, there were still jagged edges that she was careful not to probe if she could help it. And so, in a way that she was becoming skillful at these days, she shifted the conversation back to him. “And you?” she inquired with a sort of gentle prodding. “Where do you call home?”

Image Link

@Kelso

Unregistered

K E L S O

Kelso listened carefully and attentively, as a faint part of him wondered if he might be dreaming this whole encounter. The voice of the mare mingled with her accent was a sweet chime to his auds, auds that for all of Frostfall had heard nothing else besides the forest, the winds, the songbird and his own voice. The excitement likewise made him a tad nervous, be calm, don't ruin it he would coax himself. The crimson brute had managed to at least explain the wonder of the whales to the pretty pegasus, and he finished with a soft smile. Ears were at attention each time she replied. No whales? Perhaps she did not live near the sea, maybe a cooler scape where the whales would not venture? This was not unusual for Kelso to draw conjectures based on small details he could gather. After all, even a hermit had to keep his mind sharp, and Kelso was a curious though humble mind. Ss she expressed her wish to see the whales, he looked again out to sea. "Perhaps you will." he replied softly.

When he turned and she smiled at him, he felt his heart flutter but for a moment. Nasreen explained how her homeland, he presumed where she was born, was no more and the sadness that came with that knowledge tugged at his heart. Living in the wilds so long, the stallion was not very keen on understanding reasons behind things and feelings, but he had developed the ability to empathize sometimes too deeply. It was apparent on his face and he thought perhaps he should say something. Before he could gather any sort of speech, she continued on, hardly missing a beat. Thorns again pricked at the mention of the regions of Dragon's Throat and World's Edge, and a colt-ish excitement was obvious in the crimson stag's face. "Dragon's Throat? I've only heard a great deal about this place...stories mostly. I was told it is a world on its own, and there are many brave and mighty warriors who call the place home. And I have also heard tells of a tree that bleeds dragon blood, and a great dragon once called the place its dwelling and...." Kelso stopped and cleared his throat, realizing that by now he was babbling like an idiot and boring his companion to tears. "Many apologies Nasreen...it's been something of a dream for me to venture so far as the regions. I did cross a fellow once from World's Edge...M-Mauja I believe was his name. Maybe you know this unicorn? As for myself, I call the wild lands my home, which I suppose means I live anywhere. The redwood beyond the Ancient Rotunda is my usual dwelling though." He spoke rather casually about his home, the freedom he found among the wilds being something he was rather proud of, even if the loneliness echoed loudly at times.

Dark sapphire colored eyes sparked with curiosity now as a question popped into his head. "With all the excitement I have always imagined at Dragon's Throat what brings you to the Endless Blue?"

====

PLEASE TAG KELSO.

"SPEECH"

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

His enthusiasm for the Dragon’s Throat was obvious, and she found herself smiling slightly at the way he pounced on this thread of conversation with all the eagerness of a colt. Though some might look down on her companion for wearing his heart on his sleeve, Nasreen rather liked that he was easy to read. She didn’t have to wonder if she was saying the right thing or making a fool of herself, as she did on so many occasions when confronted with the expressionless masks of those less effusive.

“I’m afraid I don’t know the stories,” the girl replied, “I’m still fairly new to the place—I should love to hear them though, should you have the time.” Stories had always captured Nasreen’s attention, and she was just as eager to hear Kelso’s tales as he seemed to be to tell them. There was so much about her new home that she still did not know, and it was about time that she learned something about the island to which she returned every night.

As for Kelso’s second comment, she stiffened a little at the mention of his meeting with an Edge stallion. For a moment she held her breath, wondering if she knew who it was, but at the unfamiliar sound of Mauja’s name, she relaxed considerably. Whoever this character was, he was unknown to her, and she to him. Her secret was safe, and she was glad of it. Enjoying her budding acquaintance with Kelso, she did not want to think he knew that she was a deserter.

The conversation flowed on, and in due time Nasreen learned that he lived in the Wilds—in a redwood, he said—at which she again sighed wistfully. How lovely, to make your home in a tree, she thought to herself. For not only did she miss the godswoods of her homeland, but she missed the forest in general. The Throat had its charms, she supposed, but it was little more than sand, sun, and the occasional tumbleweed. She longed for the deep shadows of secluded forest groves, craved the aroma of the pine, and the oak, and the fir…without thinking, she inhaled softly, hoping just to catch the scent on his coat.

When he asked about what drew her away, she shrugged a little, still distracted by the thought of the woods. “I wanted to sample the spring winds,” she told him. “They’re always the most fun this time of year. I thought that the beach would be a good place for the breeze…but now that I’m here, I do rather think I’ll pass through the woods on my way home. You’ve reminded me of how much I miss them.”

OOC: Sorry for the long wait!

Image Link

@Kelso