the Rift

[OPEN] the chills

Lothíriel Posts: 37
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hands :: 4 years of age HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Thingol :: Raven :: None krazie
Though it is no later than mid-morning, the day begins to dim as fallen pine needles turn to carmine leaves beneath cloven hooves, until day seems like dusk, the little remaining light congealing over the foliage like clotted blood. The roan girl steps quietly through this strange forest, leaving a trail of florid blossoms which gleam in the cracks between dead leaves. A raven the color of fresh-fallen snow rides on her back, eyes like ruby shards casually observing the passing scenery. He croaks occasionally to break the oppressive silence of the red leaves, usually eliciting an amused smile from his slender vehicle. Lothíriel revels in her new discovery, for contrary to the predilections of her ancestors, the queen of flowers favors woodlands over the ocean, and any new forest to wander is always a happy novelty. She adores the darkness between trees and the coolness which gathers there in the heat of summer—she loves how quietly her split hooves can tread on decaying foliage, and the constant melody of bird-song at the peak of spring. But they do not sing here, at least not today, a detail which proves to be disconcerting to the pale-maned maiden. 

Black ears twitch when they catch the distant roar and rumble of falling water. Thrusting her nose far into the air before her, Lothíriel proceeds towards the cascade at an easy trot, footfalls almost silent as she continues along her chosen path. The forest rushes past her in a crimson blur; occasionally her glance is drawn upwards towards the far-flung canopy, the thick mass of red leaves obscuring any semblance of a sky. She frowns. In the distance, the queen of flowers can see the dim glitter of something liquid, something like blood. Her heart flutters with morbid excitement, with macabre glee—she must know if it is really blood. Dark hooves hurry toward it, their haste graceless; her curiosity has been piqued and she cannot refuse it. Closer and closer she draws, until she can see the cascade fully. It is magnificent and red; even in the false night of the trees, the richness of the fluid's color is plainly noticeable. Daring to move even closer to the falls —so close she can feel the cascade's vibrations in the soles of her feet—Lothíriel sticks out her tongue to taste the strange bloody substance. Expecting the singular taste of blood, she is instead met with the cool taste of freshwater. Another frown, this time one of disappointment. 

Has the world run out of real wonders to uncover?
lothíriel

venomxbaby | ohtheplace-designs | damselstock | malleni-stock | annamae22 | gd08 | shistock | the_darkest_hour

[open 2 all]
@rikyn maybe??

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Alas, the world has not run out of miracles. They are just busy working elsewhere. The remnants of the more recent one to afflict the world lay decaying on the brink not far from the bloodied basin, and a few paces beyond stood a filly. Anywhere else her coat would have carried the same shade of white as the nearly cleaned off bones of the enormous bear carcass, but beneath this canopy she had taken on a shade of pink that went rather well with the hue of putrid, oozing strips of meat that clung to rib, hip and spine. Once the grass had sparkled with glowing blue crystals fallen from the giant's back. Now they too were gone, along with the screams, the fear and the magic that had made the air vibrate.

She wasn't sure why she had gone back. The child visited this place every night in her dreams already and the marks of battle marred her youthful perfection, clouded the left eye with milky hues... and something foul had taken hold of her flesh, something that itched and swelled, burst and oozed down the insides of her legs. It was as though the blood that once had stained the red waters of the fountain had begun to flow from her instead, a curse left behind by a spiteful god. A punishment, for meddling in things that mortals should never touch.

Somewhere at the back of her mind she might have held a notion of bringing back one of those glittering, glowing crystals she once had faithfully gathered. But it was better this way. There was something so fundamentally wrong with the way the Time God had distributed the pieces of the fallen one that she was almost glad to have received none.

Almost. She was, after all, no more than a child, sad to have been left out when others got presents.

Slowly, noticing the presence of another in the clearing, Erthë turned her head and regarded the young maiden as she approached and drank from the ruby-lined pool. A shudder passed through her frail body at the thought if ingesting that when she knew what had mingled with those waters. The slender tail curled in disgust, wrapping around a spindly leg as though to contain the emotion before she let it spill.

"Don't drink more" she said eventually, though remained where she stood by the corpse. The bear was missing its head - she wondered what scavenger had managed to drag it off. "Bad water... There might be... stuff... in it still."

Fine wrinkles of distaste lined the velvet nose, more telling than a thousand cautioning words.

blow   a     kiss
fire a gun
we don't need somebody to lean on

image credits

@Lothíriel

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

There was something about the darkness of the red forest that called me back here, something that, with each return, I was less sure had to do with the victory over the bear; it was something intangible, something that had not occurred but which was always occurring. All I knew was that I enjoyed the eerie serenity of the red light filtering down from the dense foliage above, the rush of the falls distant and audible in every facet of the wood.

So I was here, more often than I should be, especially with the threat of the strange Rift land evident with the arrival (and subsequent death) of the bear – a more responsible boy might be walking patrol in the wild lands, waiting for the next magical fluctuation or Godly summons.

I’m not that guy, I guess. I don’t have any real reason to be, with very little care for the Basin remaining in my thoughts but that Erebos lives there, and that I was born in a cave within its borders.

Sometimes I feel guilt about it. Isn’t there supposed to be some depth of loyalty to man who seeks to be called a warrior? But, at the same time, I know in my heart that it is not my fault at all, that it is no one’s fault. I simply went away too long, and came back to find that things had changed too much for me to feel much familiarity with the land anymore.

I had come back there. Let that be enough, for now.

From my thoughts I am torn as I arrive upon the falls, having unconsciously followed the pull of its roaring descent; a figure stands along the shore, her ankles submerged in the red water, her body a steely gray that whispers of lavender and is accented by the pale stone of her banners. Dipped in black, crowned with ivory, she drips elegance from the tip of her spiraled blade to the ends of her lion’s tail, drawing warmth through me in unmentionable places; she is a Goddess, a Goddess besieged by a small white child of horn and wing (I recognize her vaguely through the lust for the woman in the water that has stolen my attention), and it is with some measure of surprise that, as I approach, I find that I know her.

The name escapes me, the same way that the child’s does (though a God yelled it and, once, I was sure I would remember it), but the steely damsel’s face, the small white snip along her nose, it all makes me think of a gangly but pretty girl whom Erebos called his sister. I see her in my memories, a distant figure; she had seemed so much older than me at the time.

Now, she doesn’t seem so unattainable, framed in crimson light, smelling of spring snow and flowers.

"There are rubies along the bed," I say as I approach, remembering the hard sensation of their shape against my split hooves as Erebos, Aithniel, and I had battled the Bear alongside the others of Helovia, alongside this annoying little filly that I really wish would poof into nothingness (so I’d be alone with the flower maiden and not burdened with the presence of the child’s diminutiveness); I say as much because I don’t assume she was drinking the water, but curious as to why it was red as myself and her brother had been, "it was red as blood even before the battle."
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

@Lothíriel

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

A puerile voice interrupts Lothíriel's musings.

Black ears tip backwards; in a hasty motion, the flower maiden's head jerks towards the source. Eyes narrow once they find it—a half blood girl with feathers and horns, snowy pelt tainted pink in the red half-light. Repulsive sores ooze along the insides of her slight limbs, and one of her eyes is pale and milkyshe wonders if the filly is dead, brought back to life by some insidious god. She does not notice the monstrous bear's carcass behind the imp, for the strips of decaying flesh are disguised by the odd ruddy atmosphere. Perhaps she is diseased, the nymph thinks, a conclusion that upon closer observation appears to be a plausible theory. This creature, this mongrel dares to regard her—Lothíriel Stormsinger, queen of flowers, daughter of death and rain, blood of Cinnoru—with insolence, a thing like disgust causing the urchin's skinny lion tail to curl distastefully around a leg and her little nose to wrinkle. For a few moments, the queen of flowers does not deign to bestow the lamb with a reply, watching her intently from beneath pale eyelashes.

Children never endeared her very much, especially those of impure blood. 

"I did not drink," Lothíriel says airily, gently, softly; though her voice is deceivingly quiet, her tail's twitching and lashing betrays thinly veiled contempt—she will not tolerate being spoken to in such an impudent manner by a half-breed. Though she remains impassive, girl's words trouble her—were they just a child's stories, or were there some truth to them? What stuff? the anthousai longs to ask, but before she can say anything else, the rustle of leaves beneath approaching hooves reveals the presence of a newcomer. Her gaze leaves the snowy girl, scrutinizing the dim forest sharply. Initially, she cannot locate the new soul, but eventually a dark form emerges from the red haze, a fine specimen in his prime, tall and virile. A long golden horn sits proudly on his brow, and he smells of the Basin—ice and alpine grass, of home. She studies him intently, attempting to discern his motivations, his passions, his dreams from the creases and ripples on his skin. Is he a friend of her brother's? A phantom of her childhood? Where could she possibly have seen him before?

The gilt stallion mentions a battle, and her ears perk with curiosity—is this related to what the pock-marked cur had mentioned? "What happened?", she inquires tacitly, turning her eyes to scrutinize the glistening red pool and the rubies studding its depths, and then to the ghostly filly, and then back to the comely black-bay. Something has happened here, something sinister, and suddenly the world seems full of wonders once more.

lothíriel

venomxbaby | ohtheplace-designs | damselstock | malleni-stock | annamae22 | gd08 | shistock | the_darkest_hour

@Erthë
@Rikyn

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

"It looked like you did. I saw you stick the tongue out!" The child gave the older girl a surly look from beneath thick pearly lashes, offended by the superior tone and the lie. Mother would not have been impressed by the rude words, but then again this person didn't look like a real adult. She was too skinny and didn't have any of mother's comforting bulk. Erthë regarded her critically from across the glade, feeling a peculiar irritation at the roundness of the blue hips, the elegance of those mile long legs and the lilting tones of the voice. Every bit of it irked her, but the girl was too young to know why. It mostly felt like a desire to throw something sticky, foul smelling and very nasty into that pretty face, and see how it would look then.

There was no mud accessible within comfortable distance however, which was lucky for the girl.

Erthë too started a little at the sound of rustling leaves. She jumped a little on the spot and stared with widening eyes - or eye, rather, as only the right one saw anything at all - as a figure stepped out into the clearing. At first it looked only dark and out of proportion, but as the red light filtered down to enlighten the features, the winged fawn recognized the newcomer as a boy she had seen before. Here, right in this place, in the midst of chaos, pain and death. Her first reaction was positive, because he was familiar and they had been allies once before... but her initial smile and excitedly coiling tail stiffen when all he does is stare at the gray girl, like someone had clobbered him in the head.

It was stupid and unfair, and when the boy took the older girl in defense - or so it seemed to her, at least - Erthë sniffed indignantly.

"I would never stick my tongue in something I didn't know what it was" she claimed haughtily. "I'm not that stupid."

She ignored the question of what had happened for a while, pretending that she hadn't heard it as she picked her way carefully around the bones of the god, not wanting to go near the two older horses - unicorns both of them, and without wings she thought they looked skinny and awkward, as if something was missing - but not wanting to stand there on her own either. It made her feel lonely and outnumbered.

Eventually though, the temptation to show that she knew more than the flower girl won over the desire to disobey her.

"A GOD showed up, and there was a big battle, and I helped!" she said, rather unhelpfully. The child looked smug as she said it however, and there was no mistaking the emphasis that she had fought while Lothíriel hadn't even know about it.

She threw a quick glance at the tall boy, wondering if he realized that they had more in common now than himself and that lanky ing...igon...ignorant by the pool.

blow   a     kiss
fire a gun
we don't need somebody to lean on
image credits

@Rikyn

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

The child is an impudent little wretch that manages to draw my eyes from the roan angel to her diminutive, ivory frame. I had sought to simply let her exist among those much older than herself with the ignorance that adults give the young (I was a foal not so long ago, standing in tall shadows as if the dust beneath their hooves, and I paid my dues, why can’t she?), but the fact that she calls her elder (and a princess, none the less) stupid makes my lion’s tail swish behind me in irritation.

With golden eyes narrowed, I physically lower my head to impress upon her that she is small, and should perhaps be more couth towards strangers who are more experienced in life than she is.

"She’s a Princess, you foul little pest," I warn her, my voice level, calm, a promise that there will be more than words the next time she dares violate the respect due to two of her superiors, superior in every single way a being could be, "I’d be more cautious who you flippantly insult."

Rising back to look upon the fair damsel with the milky crown, she inquires as to the battle that ensued in the background of where we now stand, my smile a dark one which tells of the screams and the blood, the magic crackling through the air, the dust of crystals pulverized by hoof, horn, body, all in the red, red water.

And yet again, the child interrupts, her shrill little voice interjecting from where she has wandered off to like a sulking child.

It earns her another scathing glance.

Surely, I remembered her presence in the field. It was hard to miss such flippantly awful parenting – even my mother had tried her best to shield me from violence and battle in ways that the mother of this wretched babe had not, and she was generally considered throughout the realm to be a queen of war and a murderess. And, while I could commend the child’s bravery, I also wondered how she dared call anyone else stupid, having charged into a fight meant for adults, when she was barely old enough to count to five.

I had no use for spawn of irresponsible whores, especially when the offending offspring wears wings and has a mouth larger than her stature.

"The Spark pulled this forest from a land elsewhere, called the Rift, a realm corrupted by magic in some fashion, as I understood the Storm Lord, and those I have met from the land of the Beast Gods," I explain with more grace than the filly, letting my eyes fluidly slip back to the queen of flowers to sip upon the ambrosia of her image, my features taking on the air of remembering great violence and power, almost giddy with delight and fringed in the heavy cloak of what it had cost (the child was partly blind now, after all, he had seen her milky eye, and there were others even less fortunate that he recalled laying in what could only be the bloody pools of their death), "the God the imbecile of a child speaks of was a great bear, wearing the same boils that she does, a vile beast who tormented his people in order to gain in his own strength. Most of those here fought for the Spark, though some turned upon him…"

I think of these fools with a smile, wondering what sort of torment would befall them at the God’s wrath.

"Eventually, the beast was worn down. Alongside me, Erebos struck with his blade, diving in unison with my own while Aithniel held the heavens above with her fire; a third colt pressed its final leg from beneath it as my rapier split its tendon. At the crown of the Divine Bear was a brutish woman, black, white, with an metal object which sliced the head of the monstrosity clean away from the rest," I remember the death of the God with a shudder, how the power of the thing had ushered through the air in crackling waves of magic and energy in its last moments, "and then, the most unbelievable of things happened. Princess…

"Gods can die."

[ WHY SO MEAN TO ERTHE *kicks him* ]

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

The white skyrat begins to irritate the queen of flower—it shows in the increasingly violent flicks of her lion's tail, in the taut line of her mouth. Although she craves to growl and snap at the impudent girl and her asinine words, Lothíriel chooses to curb her tongue. Her father would never speak crassly or without thought, and he is widely feared by those foolish enough to cross him, known to be phlegmatic and ruthless; a paragon of lordliness. Anyway, before she can even consider a suitable retort, the gilt-marked bay comes to her defense, impressing the roan maiden with the steely vehemence of his words. Upon being named a princess, she cranes her neck proudly, all the while observing the hybrid with a belligerent eye. Vaguely, she wonders if it whether it was the child's sire or dam who stooped low enough to fornicate with a specimen of another species. How unnatural the idea seems to the roan girl; she cannot even imagine touching a hornless creature. The very thought causes a shudder to roll down her spine—how vile.

Before responding to her question, the dark bay looks back at her, the smile playing on his lips both dark and titillatingly wicked; Lothíriel gazes back at him curiously, awaiting his tale, but after a bout of petulant silence, the intrusive hybrid interrupts him. Lilac eyes turn to regard her, momentarily inquisitive instead of cool. The idea of such a small girl partaking in a battle is laughable, but the ugly marks on her milky pelt do not lie. What mother would let her young daughter fight? She has always known the lesser races to be daft, but never had she thought them to be so monumentally stupid"How?" the roan girl inquires with a flick of her tail, her intense curiosity replacing disgust for a split second.

The gilt knight speaks again, causing the queen of flower's attention to shift away from the half-blood. He speaks with more eloquence than the filly, and his features assuming an august expression she has only seen on the faces of old warriors and storytellers. Her ears face towards him with interest, absorbing his tale as if he were her mother, narrating fables of old Isilme. He mentions a great bear god felled by mere mortals—a proud light glitters in her eyes when he mentions her brother. Erebos must be a man now, handsome and strong, an image of their shared heritage. The last time she had seen him was when he was barely weaned off their mother's milk; she resolves to seek him. 

Gods can die, he says to close his story, eliciting an awed expression from the maiden. Concern for her brother blossoms in her belly like so many flowers, but if the gilt knight has survived to tell the tale, then he must be okay. "You are very brave," Lothíriel affirms, stepping closer to him. Her dark face takes on a concerned aspect, and she pauses, pushing her nose towards him in a display of secrecy, speaking quietly so that the hybrid would not hear. "Is Erebos alright?" 

It is then she notices the bones which the mongrel skirts. What remains of the monster's flesh clings to putrid bone in a dappled way that recalls the forest's dim red atmosphere. She blinks several times to ensure it isn't just a play of the light. With a hesitant breath, Lothíriel addresses the hybrid. "Is that it?" she asks (demands to know), eyes narrowed as they study the remains of a great bear. Lothíriel turns to the warrior to confirm her query, still distrustful of the winged girl with corrupted blood. 
lothíriel

@Erthë

Whether my words are effective or the child has simply been stricken mute, I do not know; I don’t even offer her a passing glance as the silence extends from where her small and ignorant white frame had been chattering stupidly, allowing my attentions to focus fully on the damsel’s pretty amethyst eyes.

How? she asks the small whelp, and I gather enough in the single syllable to find my smirk revitalized. How indeed? She’d been underfoot gathering crystals, a task (I believe, anyway) was one the Spark had given her to keep the Bear from devouring her, or smashing her flat beneath one of his massive paws.

Yet, the conversation continues, and the Princess sips from my words like wine, the delicate scent of flowers kissing the wind which crosses the small clearing, blessedly carrying away the carrion stench of the Bear’s carcass. Devouring her attention as any arrogant boy would, I delight in each minute change of expression as the tale winds, that she does not seem to waver in her attentions for even a second as my story intertwines with the air.

And then she is stepping nearer to me, on those shapely legs and split hooves, a complement dripping from her lips that makes my heart skip and leap with erratic glee, though I try to keep my smiling face impassive, bold and knightly as she has intoned me to be; a smile still spreads broad across my features, my ego purring like a rather pleased cat.

The proximity of her dark muzzle makes my skin tingle, gilded eyes alive as they mesh with the path of her cool lavender gaze. I angle my own head low, ears lifting to catch the soft words she follows the niceties with.

Of course she would be worried for her baby brother, as I worried for Aithniel during each fight – and yet, her worries were unfounded. Erebos had been strong and bold, and while he had not been as useful in the final moments of the battle, a part of the battle he had been, and the Spark had even bequeathed him with a crystal as a gift.

I will not steal these stories from my battle brother, my snow and stone kin. Such a delightful tale is one that is his alone to share, and so I only answer what she must know to ease the fretful pacing of her woman’s heart.

"He took some minor wounds," I answer with the grin of proud memory, remembering how the blood of the Bear had marked his face, but recalling no other pains having befallen my friend – we had been a force to be reckoned with, the three of us, Aithniel, Erebos, and I, "but was otherwise fine, even earning a gift from the Spark for his efforts."

I had earned only words – but, as I had thought then, so do I now. The praise of a God is worth a thousand crystal trinkets.

Together we lift our heads up and look away to the bones of the beast, though I do not look to the little sky mongrel so much as I watch the lines of Lothiriel’s figure as she dances nearer the devastation, her voice cool and demanding.

"Was, yes," I explain, taking a few long steps closer to the carcass, my nostrils wrinkling in dislike of the smell now that we’ve come so close.

@Lothiriel

Wishlist - Plots