the Rift

Heartsick [Faelene]

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona
L E A N D E R

A battered, bloodied form glided uneasily through the sky. The stallion's normally golden pelt was tarnished by sweat and wounds. One long scrape stretched along his side, a new reminder of his wariness for Unicorns. His thigh showed a swollen, red bite mark. Another deep bite marked his shoulder, near the base of his neck; a gift from the King of the Edge himself. Leander had certainly fared better than many of his allies, but he'd lost enough blood to make flying quite precarious. Not to mention that Frostfall was upon the land, threatening to howl and spit snow at any moment.

The warrior made a shaky descent to the snowy ground. White powder fluffed as he made contact, sticking to the areas where his blood had not yet dried. Despite his obviously impaired state, he trudged on with a sense of urgency. Once he'd met the red maned Unicorn, he hadn't been the same. What had she done to him? Couldn't he just forget? But no, he needed to see her. He told himself it was for closure. Maybe she'd just tell him off once and for all, maybe then he could move on and only think of her as cruel, as he had once wanted to believe all horned's were. He couldn't stand the way his mind kept wandering to her, even when he'd found company with many other mares. One, Melissa, had even seemed to want his love. Even if she had come off as quite lustful. A frustrated sigh blew curls of warm air from his nostrils. He'd come to stand in front of the very ice cave that he and Faelene had met in, and that was where he stopped. Caramel eyes scanned the distance for the onyx girl, the one who haunted his thoughts and warranted his desire so easily.

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

Being healed to a point was one thing, but she was much too stubborn to have all trace of her wounds whisked away. They would serve as a reminder;something she had been robbed of before. Past tormentors loved to remove evidence, and she was a bit hellbent on keeping what she earned. Uncounting burns her shoulder had been the worst, and knowing how dangerous an open wound was it was the one she would probably let be healed to a point. First they had to even get their doctor back, not to mention she would insist everyone worse off then her being taken care of first. It was a lot easier to manage physical pain, and she could keep them clean in the mean time.

When all things started to settle, she knew she wanted to escape to hold onto her sanity. Get away from the sight, and smell. She was only so resilient after all. Still, Leander would have to wait a time after the battle till he saw her across the icy plan. The red maned hung close to her herd wanting to do what she could. Everyone was exhausted beyond anything else, and they would need to get some rest to rescue their doctor. How that was going to happen she did not know. She was a bit sickened she had not been able to stop his capture. They surely had done it to leave them more wounded and vulnerable. What really made her gut, her heart twist was the thought of how this whole place was against them. Much as her thoughts wanted to be on Leander, she greatly wanted to forget his name, his face, his voice, and everything else. There was nothing for them, what might have been a frail shard of glass had been shattered that night.

Stride very slow, putting on hoof up, then the other she let her body take a hold of physical aches to avoid the headache hurricane of her thoughts. There was no questions to why he had done what he had. The problem was what now? What was she suppose to do? Some ideas collected in the back of her mind, it was unknown to her which one she would act upon. It wasn't like she was about to wander to the Throat and see him...

Welcoming the the cold chill to the air, she first encountered the Steppe, and let the icy wind whip along her. It felt both nice to where fire had touched, and fierce with it's sharp,cold fingers. Too bad it wasn't cold enough to dull her completely. Prodding forward with no want of place, she wasn't exactly aware how close the arch or Leander were becoming.

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

It felt like he'd been waiting forever when a faint scent came on the chilled wind. "Faelene?" The palomino called out, his deep bellow probably lost beneath the sounds of whistling air and blowing snow. There, in the distance, was a foggy shape. Feathered limbs ached as they threw his form back up into the air again. He would be able to see her much better from above. Bits of frost had begun to form on the edges of his wound, stinging the flesh. He grunted at the pain and willed his wings to fight the cold air currents. He was crazy, flying again in this condition and in the snow, no less. Sometimes desire made you do very stupid things. As if on cue, a formidable gust caught his left wing, jerking it enough to send him perilously down to the ground.

Leander caught his balance only a short distance from the frozen soil. Luckily, he had fallen low enough to see what he had been waiting for. The garnet locked dove was trudging through the cold, her own battle injuries visible on her sleek back. Clumsily, he landed his drained body, the toll of the fight clear in every part of him except his face. He was smiling through the pain, smiling at her. For a moment he could forget how problematic his longing for her was, and just be glad that she was alive. "Are you alright?" The first words out of his mouth were laced with concern as he trotted quickly to reach her. When close enough he slowed. What if she were angry with him, angry that his herd had aided the Qian? If only she knew that the Qian were not a bad group, that they accepted all kinds and had been good allies to the Throat. Would she shy from his touch, like she had briefly done when they had first met? He halted, leaving his body open to her as he'd done once before. "If I had known you were in the Edge, I would have warned you. I didn't know." Words flowed out quickly and unsure, fading. He wanted them to make things right with her, but so much had happened since they'd met last. It seemed so long ago.

Hidden Account
Sica

Part of her wanted to remain in this space, and collapse here and now. Surely more snow would gather over her, and she would be nothing but a skeleton come spring if she were even found. Maybe the ice would cover her, and no one would know. They would think she ran off somewhere else. What good was she to remember?

Continuing to crunch through the thin layer of crusty snow, the wind was more strong in the open. It wasn't such a sweet remedy any more. Glimpsing through the wind blown white cloud of frost, she saw the ice cave in sight, and spotted the golden pelt. It really couldn't be? Who else would be out here on cue to stab deeper into her internal wounds. Letting the snow eat her up was starting to sound better. Pausing she would hear him attempt to call out to her, but the wind would eat it up. If she had wings she would have taken to the sky, but that's the reason this was a mess. She was a Unicorn, one more fond, and trusting of her kind. Please stay there, she would think, not wasting a breath to say it out loud. This was Leander, he could not stay away from her. Another riddle that wrecked havoc upon her. Should it surprise her he raised himself to the sky?

Best she could she tried to keep track of him, but failed in the night's light, and continued her walk.

Why did he exist? He wasn't carved from this place in means to question her beliefs, yet he was. There meeting the strangest thing to happen to her. Quickly his own tired body would take a rather ungraceful landing in front of her some horse lengths away. This she halted, letting her ears tip against her black crown. How on earth could he be happy to see her after all of that? Curved brows would furrow momentarily, but she gazed steadily into his golden pools. "Alright? One night of hell, and I escaped the devil's keep...I guess so." She would not hide the agitation in her tone, but tried to keep it from dominating it all together. She was still shaken, and it was evident in her alto voice much as she wanted to hide it. Standing before her if ready to take a hit, her eyes would soften when she listened."I believe you, it's not like you knew I lived in the Edge any way," she would speak with more kindness, and control to her sentence. There was no denying he did not like the facts any better than she did. Faelene believed him (as she said), but it did not change what had happened. This was what would make her gaze harden, a frown tugging at her lips, a sigh evading her, "You can't possibly expect me to have what you want so badly." Pained expression played out upon her face, could he not see she did not want to do any more harm or hurt to him?"You're love drunk Leander, but I don't remember giving you much to taste."

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

Of course she wouldn't come towards him. What did he expect? But still, she had come all the way out here in the cold, to where they had met last. If she really didn't care for him, wouldn't she be sitting in the Edge with that damned brown boy who'd ripped his side open? His brow tensed and grew saddened at the thought. Her voice was sharp again, clearly aggravated. "I tried to make the others leave you alone." His deep chords professed flatly. Had she realized that he had put himself in harms way for her? Surely it must mean something. Bringing his gaze back up, he looked plaintively into her own eyes. "What do you think I want, Faelene? I haven't asked you for anything. I have not forced my presence on you." His words were calm but sorrowful. She talked as if she were some item to be had, like he thought gaining her love would involve no hardships. Did he seem so shallow to her? He grimaced at the pain on her dark face, wishing he knew what else to do to take it away. Once again, he didn't know what to say to make her feel that it would be alright.

"I don't know much about love." A soft smile found his lips, though his visage was still laced with distress. "But know that I love you, Faelene. You've been all I've thought about since we met. Even when another mare was trying to seduce me, I couldn't stop thinking of you. And I turned her away." His tone was harder now, confident and charged. He wanted her to know the truth, to see that he was no 'love drunk' colt. If he wanted love so much, he could have stayed with Melissa. But it was not just love he wanted. It was Faelene's love. "If I really was so quick to fall in love, don't you think I would have forgotten you and stayed with a mare in my own herd, who would have gladly called me her mate?" His sentence hung in the air. The palomino's thoughts fell back to the battle's end, when he had watched Faelene go to stand at the very side of the brute that had tried to gut him. Maybe.. Was it possible that she was in love with that little beast? Warm air escaped his nostrils, a defeated sigh. "If you care for someone from the Edge.." Painful words faded out, waiting for response. And if she said she loved the little bay, what would he do? He didn't think he could go back to Melissa. She was a sweet girl, but his heart didn't want that.

Hidden Account
Sica

Screaming wounds, and thoughts tugging in different directions. She let her eyes slip to to the distant white, while he in turn bluntly gave words of his own. Easily she could have thrown his words back in his face by the anger that lingered in her now, the wounds that were very much real. How had he sacrificed himself for her? Putting himself in front of her from returning the favor? Coming to her aid after her kind had helped her?"Yes, what a great length you extended yourself for me," was her dull response. He hadn't hurt any of his own herd members or betrayed them for the likes of her. What would he have really done to stop his General if Lena and Aurelius had not been there? She wanted to be done with that issue entirely. She was getting much too tired to care what she filtered from her lips. It was more exasperating to try to explain herself to him, because that was hardly possibly. She barely understood herself, and it would take a grand life time for someone to do the same; even then.

"You want my love. What did you think I meant? I realize if you were in it for something else, this mess would hardly be worth it," she snorted, irritated by his own assumptions. If he thought her to be such a simply thinker to believe him shallow, he would one day realize her thoughts were a series of mazes, tunnels, and explosions. They were beyond simplicity, which sometimes she loathed as well.

A sweet smile formed his lips while at the same time his face was ridden with misery he confessed what she already knew. At least the I love you part. She could feel her molars grind themselves. Did he want applause? "Bravo for you. What a struggle it is resisting physical urges with a mare's ass in your face, and damn it all someone else in your heart,"tongue dripped with sarcasm. How in the hell was that suppose to make her feel better? He should have taken her up on the offer if he was so desperate for touch of another;someone to instantly bind themselves to him forever. Best he could she wouldn't deny he was trying to let her know he really loved her, but he wasted those words on her. "You're love drunk because you're so incapacitated by the idea of me, what could be for what I feel is no good reason. Do you know who I am? This is the only the third time you have seen me. I do not know how I own your heart." Again she tried to speak more gently, more sincere with her steady voice not an ounce mocking him in this, while there was an ending plea to the words your heart.

He would do well to bring up a matter she could see that had been eating at him. All his sighing she had to swallow back a struggled one of her own from this business. Quickly she shook her head sharply to cut off his response."No, my heart is my own. Descaro was the first I met here, and took me to the Edge. Seeing him bloodied, and ripped made me realize that could have easily been me,"she more strongly stated with a menacing twist of her tail. It was the only body part that did not pain her to move. "Besides I don't belong in that Edge any more," she more coldly responded soon adding with bitterness, "Hey, being homeless is tradition for me." This she looked right through him with a fake smile to her lips, before stepping around, and walking onward to the shelter of the icy cave.

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

Sharps words were flung at him, adding pain to his already torn body. She spoke as if he hadn't nearly gotten his intestines ripped out while he was trying to get Azzuen away from her. "I was almost gutted by your friend as I was trying to make my allies think I would handle you myself. I did the best I could to help you. First I tried to help a mere colt, who your King was trying to slaughter." Burning pools glanced at the long scrape along his haunch and side. If he hadn't turned at the right moment, Descaro's horn would have split him all over the ground. And yet Faelene didn't seem to have noticed, or to care. Why couldn't he just leave her here and go back to the Throat? To others who would speak to him with some semblance of kindness?

The golden stag could only grimace as he endured her harsh words. The frosted wind whipped pale dreads across his face. Wasn't it strange, how he could waltz into battles and throw hooves at Kings, without feeling sadness or fear. But when it came to listening to Faelene's cruel tone now, he could barely stand it. Half of him wanted to give up, to believe that she really would never want to be with him. But in his core he held on. Why would she come all the way out here? Why had she given him her touch when they first met, despite all her doubts? There had to be something between them, something magnetic which pulled them back together again. He nearly winced as she nearly spat in his face, kicking his confession of love to the dirt. "I'm sorry if I've upset you, Faelene. I'm only trying to tell you the truth. Don't you see? I have fallen in love with you. No, I don't know you well, and I cannot explain why this is happening. I tried to forget about you, tried to ignore it. But it has not gone away." His deep chords were strong and unwavering, not holding any of the sarcastic anger that the red maned mare's had. She seemed so frustrated by what he'd said, but why? Couldn't she just realize that he cared for her, and either accept his love or reject it? Why did they have to do this dance, tossing words at each-other but getting no where? His forlorn expression began to harden as Faelene went on. "I am not incapacitated by you, and you do not own my heart. I only came here to tell you how I feel. And to find out if you felt the same way." He spoke calmly and with solemn words. "I thought you must care about me, to come all this way in the snow. But maybe I was wrong." Then the tawny stallion's body longed to sink into the snow, to let the blizzards cover his foolish hide. Reluctantly, his marred frame remained upright. White rimmed orbs lifted more lethargically back to the doe's eyes, as she spoke of the brute that had tried to impale him. He would have been relieved if she had not already made her anger clear. And as though he were just another fleck of falling snow, she turned to walk away. Moving around on sore pillars, he stared after her. "Is that what you want? To be alone and miserable and cold? You could have a companion, someone to be by your side when you need it. Love." The last word trailed out pleadingly. What a horrible thing it really was.

Hidden Account
Sica
D: i am so sorry for all the fighting <3

There was million ways she could continue to sting, and rip him with her words. She tried to take a logical point, but emotions overrode that button, and it probably sounded just as harsh."Did you want me to shove you out of the way, and take the blow? Would that have made you happier?" She countered, wondering what he would have liked her to do. He would not turn on his allies, didn't he understand how it would not be in her either? "And if he is a mere colt he should not have been in that battle, anyone with sense would have made sure he wasn't standing like a lamb for slaughter."
No, she would not feel sorry for that equine. He had his bag full of tricks, and did not see him as a defenseless child. It saddened her to think they would never be on the same page, right now they might as well be on the opposite sides of the globe. Why couldn't she have shoved him with her horn, and ran off afraid. Would he have pursued her then? Would he be this gallant knight trying to make things right? They would never know.

Seeing him react from the pain she was inflicting on him, this was what she had wanted to avoid. Faelene was failing again, and suddenly instead of being angry, she felt misery. He was convinced this was something. Even after her best tries to anger him, send him on his way. She was torn between saying I hate you, and I love you just to stop the madness. She had never argued with anyone like this, and she despised it. Why couldn't she just shut up?! Be that stoic creature who only survived.

The golden face of hopelessness started to take on a tougher quality. He went out to correct what she had said, but did not make her question what she had or take it back. If he was thinking clearly she would have been his enemy, he would have instantly forgotten of her, he could have easily been with another. "Really? Then it would make more sense for you to loath me, not love me. And if I don't have your heart why couldn't you give it so easily to someone sweeter?" It was not in anger she spoke any more, it was in a strained voice of pain. There was a lump in the back of her throat, one she had not felt for such a time. Swallowing best she could, she wanted to rid the sensation of it. Being angry again was a lot easier. Her words of Descaro did little to mend what she had done. In fact it was like pushing the sword further into a gut, adding the final twist to the end.

With her back to him, she made a single stride, his words reaching out for her. She could honestly say she did not know what she wanted, except to stop making him miserable. "I want to love you, but I shouldn't. And who ever wants to be alone?" She breathed with one sorrowful stare to the gold charger before Faelene continued to walk on. The wind was a starting to chill her more than she would have liked, making her feel more hollow inside.

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

Caramel eyes closed for the briefest of moments, surrounded by the sounds of a voice he wished spoke different words. She talked as though he would have rather seen her get hurt for him. Frowning, he looked at her. "Of course not. I wouldn't ever want to see you get hurt. But you were anyways." His tone was weary. Though part of him burned angrily at what she said, he knew she was upset at the break of her herd. Angry that he had been apart of it. Still, he'd fought for what he believed was right. "Anyone was free to fight with the Qian. It was a foolish choice that boy must have made. But isn't it interesting, that a leader would try to kill one so young?" He spoke without anger, but with a cold certainty. Calling that white bastard a leader was unpleasant. That coward King was so yellow that he went after young colts. It was clear that there was little morality in that way of thinking. Didn't Faelene see what a gutless moron she'd been following? Silently, Leander hoped he'd get another chance to battle with the ex-lead.

"I don't think love ever tends to make sense. I cannot answer all your questions or explain why I feel the way I do. My heart is my own, as is yours. But my heart longs for you. And I would give it to you gladly, if you only wanted it." He responded to her pained words, face etched in sorrow. He hated to hear her voice so troubled, to see her wounded, to argue with her. He gazed after her sleek pitch form as she took a step away. Why couldn't she just tell him to leave, if that was what she wanted? Did she really have to be so unclear? His head throbbed, filled with too many questions and too little answers. "Why shouldn't you love me?" His asked her, grim confusion in his voice. The stallion's sandy frame moved a pace after her, then stopped. What reason did she have to not be with him, if her racist herd was no more? Maybe she still followed that poor excuse for a leader, maybe he really had her convinced that their kind were somehow superior. His expression grew darker as he looked at her, more masked than it had ever been around the dark mare. Though the briefest traces of suspicion lingered in it. "If you want me to leave, just say so."

(ooc: It's okay! That's just them xD Just let me know whenever you want this to end ;] )

Hidden Account
Sica

"Exactly, we were both hurt because of our loyalties, and I did not expect you to break that for me," she answered, these words lacking any bite. That was all she was trying to convey. Of coarse she knew he had not wanted her hurt at all, but there were few options for both of them.

It bothered her deeply how badly he wanted to smear Mauja in her eyes. She could have easily attacked Aaron too, but she did not say this. She was tired of the bickering, and could not see any point in trying to change Leander's point of view. That was why they were fighting, both trying to bring the other to their view points of things. It was like asking a zebra not to have stripes. The zebra was born with them. "I can see what your getting at, but what does that make your side? Do you call the one who attacked me a monster? Do you refuse to listen to him?" She countered back, but shook her head because she really didn't want to know. This was sapping the rest of her energy, and it was a waste. They would never see eye to eye, never.

Listening carefully, she bobbed her head. "I understand, and that's the way it should be." What she meant in her words was, he should have his, just as she had hers. It was evident the more fatigued she was becoming because it was not in her to question any more. And really, she had given up to know answers, he couldn't give them to her. Maybe, they didn't exist in a way that words could say.

The golden stallion would question why, but she wasn't going to try to spell it out for him. Much as she had tried to give him her perspective (as much as he did too) she knew that had no worked. Instead she would ask him a question, one that no matter the situation needed an answer. "What would happen next? What would we do? There is no place for me except the wilds, and I'm sure you need a real purpose." The truth of the matter was she needed company, and sticking with the outcast band of unicorns filled that need because they could understand the loss.

Then he would say something he had the very first time they had met. She could see his patience was worn, and how bothered he was she could not answer him any better. She made a clear point to look upon him, her brows raised, face marked with puzzlement. "Why do you insist on me telling you to leave? Last I checked you're as free as a bird to come and go so you do what you please. I'm getting out of the damned wind." It was with a pulled in breath, and crooked yet pained smiled she shook her head. "I'm sorry, maybe promise of time isn't enough for you."

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

Some of Faelene's words made sense, and yet so many did not. The burly stallion stood, a shiver winding it's way across his hide. It stung the frozen blood over his wounds and laid even more pain in his brilliant eyes. It seemed as though the dark dame's vehemence was fading. Unfortunately, it was probably losing to the cold and not likely for any care of his battered heart. He felt his own mind hardening, emotions seeping out with the wind's blow. Maybe the combination of everything, the battle and now her venomous words, was enough to turn his love away.

"Azzuen is my General. He is not my leader, and I would not listen to him if I disagreed with anything he said. I would even leave the Throat, if I disagreed with any of Kri's doings." Indifferent, stoic chords left his maw. He held no qualms about his own loyalties and morals. In fact, he had been quite skeptical upon joining the Throat. He had not blindly thrown his allegiance to some leader. No, he was not a little lamb, like so many of Mauja's followers seemed to be. Though Faelene was so strong willed, he did not know how she could bow to the likes of such a foolish stallion. She ignored his sincere words, his ongoing profession, and her inconsideration only served to wipe most of the desire from his chest. "We could do anything we wanted, Faelene. We could make anywhere our home. The world is full of possibilities, if only you have hope. I have lived many years of my life with no real purpose. But love is purpose enough in itself." There was a last bit of hopefulness to his words, but it drifted off. Resigning to the fact that it would not work seemed to be the only option.

He gazed back at the confusion in her ebon face. Didn't she understand that he only wanted to understand her? "I want to know whether you want me to stay or not. If I wanted to leave personally, I would have gone by now." He did not speak with any anger or frustration, only patient questioning. She went on, talking of her promise when they'd first met. "Time is enough for me, Faelene. But not time spent feeling as though I am loathed. I thought you meant time to speak to each-other without arguing, time to gain your trust, maybe even time to gain your love. But that's starting to seem unattainable for me." It was then that he looked directly into those midnight eyes, the emotion in his visage broken and sharp, like shards of shattered glass.

Hidden Account
Sica

What she had wanted all along was happening. Him to see she was of no worth, with no reason to be loved. Shouldn't it be easy to walk away? Let him hate her with the rest. It did not bring relief as much as she had wanted, had thought and hoped. No, instead it bothered her to think they would be enemies from this point. How if she told him to leave, she would leave him a bitter mess with her barbed tongue. Maybe, she was going to the negative again, but even in battle his visage did not seem so cold.

Faelene had to face him again. She was no longer headed out of the wind, she was drawn to him like a pathetic moth to flame dancing on the edge where she could almost feel heat. Wanting it, but knowing how badly it could hurt. Curved ears twisted, directed upon him, trying to fight out the voice of the wind. They had always been nameless, those on the field, but she stowed away the information. She wasn't certain what she would do with it yet, but she keep it she would. Trying to be more decent, get away from the fiery anger, she slowly nodded her head. If only she knew how much harm she had caused.

"I'm sorry I can't explain better who I have followed. I wish I could, but please don't think me blind. It's just," Just what Fae? Quietly she asked herself, her tongue heavy in her mouth while she closed her dry lips. She knew exactly what, and she had tried in hints to voice her past. It was a defining moment, to tell him or not. Dark mouth opened, and she wasn't sure what would come out, but it slowly tumbled forth. "I come from a different world, and Unicorns were the only ones who didn't inflict violence and pain because we were all made slaves to equines, kept in place by the winged. It is hell I never want to live again, and I'm afraid," her strong voice cracked, and it seemed a domino affect. The red mane's dark eyes became hollow for different reasons, her dark limbs quivered, but it was not by the cold they did so. No longer the fierce angry mare, she was almost nothing but the young filly who had had her life stolen, paranoid for it to happen again.

Crooked smile placed itself on her muzzle, and she sniffed back her drippy nose, aware her eyes could have been moistened with hidden tears but the cold bit at them too. "You have an answer for everything don't you," she attempted to tease, but couldn't quite suck up the sadness that started to grab at her throat. She held herself quiet, taking in a long breath for the first time thinking about what could really be. What would it be like to just be with him, could she need anything else?

The golden stallion continued to speak, and it was all she had to hold the rest of herself together because she knew she should have let go of her pride, and held her tongue. A bit late for that, and she either had to let him go or fix it. It wasn't like they had met in the best of times, but she quietly interjected,"Please, stay with me." Swallowing back another lump, she took a step closer. "Let me keep my promise...let me try." Leg raised, and gingerly she approached him, her ears thrown back in a neutral place. The dark cloaked mare paused, brushing her nose to his, but even then she was ready to be rejected.

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

Suddenly, it seemed, the garnet tressed damsel's icy exterior began to melt. It was as if his own growing coldness had tugged at her emotion, drawing the venom from her words. Now she appeared to have succumbed to the pain that must have been lingering inside of her. Whatever it was that made her want to push him away was dying. With a good deal of faith, she opened her dark shell to tell him some of her past. Something he almost would have preferred not to know. For there was nothing to be done about it now. There was no way for him to find the monsters who'd hurt her, no way for him to spill the blood from their throats. The gilded buck stood, helplessly, listening with a torn, weary anger in his ivory marked face.

"I'm so sorry Faelene. I understand why you banded with the other Unicorns. I wish I could promise that all the Pegasus and Equines here are not like the ones you knew, but I can not." He spoke, searching for the right words. He knew that nothing would mend what had happened to her but time. He had lived with the thought that all Unicorns were like the one that had attacked him, and it had taken him many years to learn that was not true. "I can only promise that I will not let anything like that happen to you again. No matter if Equine, Pegasus, or Unicorn, you will not be enslaved by anyone here." Burning gold orbs rested on the onyx mare's visage. He had not met anyone in this land that he thought had the intention to become the slave drivers of Unicorns. In fact, the only ones he knew of that seemed to have any racist ideals at all were Mauja and the rest of Faelene's old herd. And certainly, they would not imprison or hurt her, except maybe with their limited views.

A twinge of pain racked his sandy chest as she tried to smile at him. He would have though her next sentence another rebuke, if not for the sadness in it. "And you have a question for just as many." The smile that seemed so rare to his lips today found it's way back, and he returned Faelene's comment with a lighthearted one of his own. The ice in his tone was leaving, his speech much warmer now. As fast as their argument had started, it died out, leaving only the strange attraction that had fatefully drawn them together in the first place. The relief in his visage was abundantly clear as she made her way back towards him. Why was there almost hesitance in her stance? It was as if she thought he might pull away as the smooth of her nose met his. Desire washed over him, an intoxicating sensation, ridding the cold resignation from his heart. The stallion let his sooty maw trail along her cheek, then down her sleek nape, brushing through red silk as he did so. Pulse quickened beneath a marred blond hide. "I will stay with you for as long as you want me, Faelene." Even with the freezing wind slapping his side, it was the warmest moment he could ever imagine.