the Rift

[OPEN] a vision I can't recall

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

We had rarely come here when I was small; the walk was long and the trail steep, and it passed too close to the Hidden Falls (occasionally called some other name by the older folks, something that makes me think of rolling fields rather than the sweeping, graceful hills and waters of the current land) for her wicked heart to bear.  I have no such worries as she did and freely traverse the wild trails that lead me up around the stony sides of the jutting peak.

I do remember it being beautiful, and I find it so now as I walk through the knee high grasses with my lion’s tail trailing behind me leisurely, enjoying the silence of the meadow and the low chirrup of the morning birds, stirring just before the first light of dawn breaks upon the horizon.

The effect, up here, where the clouds lay low in slumber and wreath the plateau, the spring grasses rising from the golden remnants of last years fields laden with flowers of every shade and color, it a resplendent rosy, gold light which filters across the entire field, highlighting my dark figure with shining, liquid dawn as I cross the dew laden pastures of this dreamy place.

Slick and damp, spring having stolen my winter’s coat with a tenacity, my patchy coat is part velvet and part warming down, doused in the collected water on the tall grass.  Chilly, the morning breeze makes me unconsciously shiver, my mind too lost in the wonder of the delightful sunrise that plays out on the eastern brim of the world. 

The bruises that lace my body, that ache when I first stir after a long rest or during moments of extreme cold, tremulously moan, but I force their complaints away with more vigorous moments, stretching the soreness until the soreness eases into numb nothing; long and graceful, with a power and speed that I had come to be quite proud of, my legs ease my dark frame through the flower scented fields at a swift canter, the swift motions of my limbs ceasing only as I approach the brim of the world.

Sinking my legs down, I test fate and my strength as my hooves bite into the loamy earth, grass slapping against my belly and body in sharp strikes.  With a delighted laughter that echoes about me I come to a halt inches from the edge, several chunks of loosened earth tumbling downwards, their fall dizzying – but I don’t look down, instead rising to my full height to look out over the North and the sea.

Today was a day of freedom, one in which I was determined to find delight, mostly because I could feel the threatening presence of melancholy along the outskirts of my good humor, and I had just been a pivotal part in the destruction of a God.  To be moping about some girl in some forest far, far away or a sister who was mad at me for nothing I could change would do me no good, and it would be even worse to think of the dam who had vanished like so much smoke into a stiff wind.

And so I look upon the scope of the earth, all that the Gods of Helovia crafted with the power and strength given to them by the First Gods, and the imbalance born from the treachery of their creations.  I look out and drink in every ounce of the serenity in the quiet morning, letting the cool wind touch my face with the scents that drift in from the steadily swaying sea and the snowy, mountainous lands along its far shore.

[ Open for anyone. :D ]
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
Sheba

The old mare didn’t know why she bothered coming here anymore, when she knew full well that lightning rarely struck the same place twice. No matter how many times she had made the arduous climb up to the Heavenly Fields, the so-called sun god was never there. She didn’t expect him to be today, but perhaps it was nostalgia that called her to the meadow, a ritual that had become a comforting constant in the chaos of her cursed life.

As usual, the hike was difficult for her aching joints, but Sheba pressed upwards stubbornly, determined to reach the summit. Nearly two years of being trapped in this body had taught her a thing or two, and she knew how to pace herself and when to rest in order to preserve her valuable energy. She had always been aware of her own physicality, but Fireball’s antics had forced her to become hyper-vigilant. Her movements were slow and deliberate, and though they were nowhere near as graceful as they had once been, she was able to make it up the hill without collapsing—a small victory that she privately celebrated as she reached the dewy peak.

However, she was not alone at the top of the world. A small, dark figure stood at the edge of the field gazing over the cliff, perhaps appreciating the view. Not wishing to disturb him (nor attract his attention, lest he be repulsed by her ugliness), Sheba moved quietly into the grass. Leafy tendrils swayed around her, stroking her belly and snapping downward at her hooves, but aside from her telltale rustling, the old gray mare remained silent. Once the stranger had gone, she might take her turn at the view as well, but for now, she lowered her head to graze. All the while, she kept one rheumy eye on the young stud in the distance, hoping (albeit a little grumpily) that he would have his fill soon and be on his way. He was a rugged and well-built youth, she observed, and Sheba guessed that a tranquil field would not hold his attention for long, especially if she was its only other occupant. That was one of the few perks of losing her beauty: she had become well and truly invisible. So thinking, the wizened unicorn stood knee-deep in the new grass, biding her time.

Please tag Sheba in all posts!

I don’t notice her at first.

I am lost in the rhythmic sway of the white waves below, thinking of a time when I was younger and might have felt my heart beat more swiftly as I looked down the sheer face of stone into the water. I wonder, as I look down, if I might still hold that fear in my heart now, had I not become lost and found the Nightwalk.

I think not; both my parents are warriors (are, for my dam is not dead… I won’t think it, I refuse) and the land of my birth requires a hardness of the body that defies the cold touch of its snows. I would be as I am now, though perhaps less lonely, less jaded towards the fragility of life and its paths.

Erebos doesn’t understand. While Aithniel and I may have wandered away from him, his life had remained the same, his station still firmly held below that of his Lordly sire and his home never changing. He cannot feel what I feel when I think of the home that I found outside my home, the home that cannot be here and that will always linger in my heart, a splinter of vagrancy that calls and lures me away.

It is when I turn to leave that I see the mare in the grass, her pale white coat catching the dreamy light of the thin, chilly air. Small, her figure is full and swayed in places, suggesting that she is much, much older than me. Still, there is something to the way she moves and the soft ripple of her moonlight hair that suggests she had once been as fair as any maiden that inspires lust, and I quietly look upon her for a moment from where I have turned partly away from the tremendous view to admire the weathered beauty of the ivory wanderer.

She smells like sun, and sand. I remember walking in such a land with my friends, the red sea of the Heart behind us.

"Have you been there long?" I ask, not bothering with introductions (things I grew bored of very early in my life). They’ll come soon enough, and it makes me feel childish to begin with my name.

Why should she have a right to it, anyway?

@Sheba

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
Sheba

After some time, the stallion turned from the cliff and made as if to depart. Glad to have the meadow to herself, Sheba kept her head down, grazing nonchalantly. Goodbye stranger, hello— wait, what was that? A dark shadow slipped into her field of vision, and she glanced up in dismay to see that he wasn’t leaving after all: instead, he was walking towards her. Wonderful.

Though Sheba had been approached many times in her lifetime by stallions often more lecherous than this young one, she found herself tensing at the stranger’s advance. Consciously, she forced the coiled muscles to relax and the once-proud head to rise, but the feeling of discomfort still lingered. He did not intimidate her exactly, but she knew that studs of his age could be especially cruel when it came to matters of appearance. Had she not once egged them on herself, delighting in the way they mocked the plain? She remembered every cutting insult and crass joke, every derisive guffaw, and she remembered them well. Perhaps it was ironic that she had used the rubble of others’ confidence to build her citadel when today, she could only stand outside the walls longing for the beauty locked inside.  Or perhaps the gods had deemed it a fitting punishment for what she had done. Either way, she did not like the feelings that surfaced under his probing gaze. They reminded her unpleasantly of times long gone, of a past even before this past, when she had been young, and vulnerable, and stupid.

Weak, an unbidden voice in the back of her head prompted.

But she had never been weak, her mind fired back immediately. She had never been weak, only unwise, and she would not start by letting this golden-eyed stud get the better of her, not even in her current set of unfortunate circumstances. Though her body and her pride might have suffered irreparable blows, she clung fiercely to her dignity. Sheba would not be cowed by this stranger, nor any other: this she vowed to herself before deciding to answer his question. “Long enough,” she replied rather neutrally, though privately thinking the same thing with a more pointed intonation. Dipping her head again, she pulled up another mouthful of grass, surveying him as she chewed as if to communicate that he did not overly impress her. If conversation was what he wanted, he would have to try harder than that to engage her. After all, Sheba would have no qualms if they skipped the idle chitchat altogether and he continued on his way—the less, the lovelier, that was her philosophy.

OOC: Sorry a) for the ridiculous wait, and b) that she’s antisocial xD

Please tag Sheba in all posts!

A look that defines the opposition of excitement lines her face as she glances up to find me in her company. For a while, I am left to the judgment of her gaze, flickering, and their earthen color is cold in all the ways that the real ground beneath our hooves is sun warmed and pleasantly soft.

Little is offered to me for my question, which makes one of my dark ears slip back in annoyance – while I had been the one to initiate the conversation, she could at least pretend to be more interested in the tall, handsome stranger in her company than she is in lunch.

Bitch, I think to myself, nostrils curling in the contemptuous thought, though my smile remains, a sparkle of defiance lighting in my gilded gaze, a shine which eludes to my refusal to give into her cold shoulder so quickly. Curling about my ankles and haunches, my tail sways and swishes, indicative of how much her lack of response has bothered me.

She will talk to me, damn it.

"You live in Dragon’s Throat?" I ask, truly curious – I have two friends there now, it would seem, having learned early in my return to Helovia that Aithniel had wandered away there, sometime after I’d followed mother out into the unknown and become lost. I think of the other mare, a buckskin I know by Sia – an image of her features blurrily coming to mind, because it’s been a while since I thought of her, and it has also been awhile since I’d seen her.

Once, she had sang songs with me outside a blue tent on an island that had seemed so perfect, a time that, for me, was forever ago, when the world was small and my friends would always be at my side, before I learned of loss, and distance – before I had really learned anything of life but the warmth of Birdsong and the comforts of a Tallsun evenings.

[ OOC: You are quite okay lovely! I don't mind waiting. ^^ ]
@Sheba

Wishlist - Plots