the Rift

[PRIVATE] just let me hold you a little longer

Caleb Posts: 135
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1hh :: 4yo :: Orangmoon HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Henrietta :: Weimaraner :: None baylee
@Enna :D

Cαλεβ ανδ Ηενριεττα

Henrietta was absent, Caleb lingering by the sentinels alone. The hound had enough of these night patrols Caleb had been continuously participating in, so she stayed behind to sleep like most animals do during the frigid night. Caleb, however is not like most. He is wide awake, running on a strange mixture of happiness and sadness, all while maintaining this vivid coldness. His eyes scanned the surroundings constantly, watching for intruders that may attempt attacks at night. Most of the fuel for his patrolling steamed from his desire to make a name for himself within the group of mountain unicorns, but slight of the fuel was not being able to sleep due to the haunting of his more recent actions. 

He had been horrible and done horrible things. He had fucked half of the Aurora Basin, while actively pursuing the other half. A huge part of him wanted to find one mare in particular, one mare that lingered on his mind. He could so easily imagine her then, her light locks trailing her, brow carrying proud antlers, lashes decorating (once) innocent eyes. Then he imagines her belly, remembering the unmistakable swell of her sides when everyone had been fighting the bear god. He had thought she had gained weight due to all the food and snacks that returned with Birdsong, but could he have been wrong? Caleb knew it was a possibility she was pregnant, carrying his foals. That idea alone petrified, but warmed his coldness slightly. Children, a family, he wanted it. He wanted many children, a large, loving, family. Could he achieve the white-picket-fence despite this barrier of coldness her held up?

His jaw opened, dropping a large brown bag on the floor. His snout followed it to the ground, searching for one item in particular. When he felt the cool sides of the pink sapphire touch his sensitive snout, a lazy grin spread on his maw. Ears prick forward as his head retreats from the bag to it's natural position just as a certain scent is caught by his nose. She's here.

and often times we call a
man cold when he is only sad.
thoughts
"speech."

▷ baylee ◁

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
You.

It is said with the conviction that you had held in your heart since the moment that he had touched you, taken from you things that you were not ready to give; the pain, the heartbreak, which you have held since that day that you gazed upon her face and your world changed, a face that he shall, thankfully, never know. It is said with the anger, mostly at yourself, for her not being at your side and blame too heavy for you to keep inside any longer. You had dug yourself into a hole, being so bitter with him for taking too much for so long that you do not know how to let it go. Instead of facing that, all the hurt that festers inside of you, you do not hesitate a single moment before lunging towards his still frame, suddenly seemingly aware of your presence.

Good – you want him to know, want him to see all that he has caused that you have done your best to cope with, hiding things away so that no one else could share your pain, trying to protect everything but your own heart. You do not think of the repercussions, of the way that your slight frame would be like waves breaking over stone against his immovable mass, do not think of anything except your antlers piercing through his flesh and sinking straight into that fucking frozen heart, ending his miserable existence because he doesn’t deserve to breathe when she never did, doesn’t deserve to live because she didn’t even have a chance. Only at the last moment do you cry out, your head snapping away as better judgment interferes with your newfound blood lust. You try to slide to a stop, find purchase on the sludge of melted snow, and you do slow just the slightest bit before crashing into the black-skinned man, pain spiking with a snap through your shoulder and chest.

@Caleb

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Cαλεβ ανδ Ηενριεττα

Caleb had been completely prepared to be romantic and kind when he found his little spitfire, but she found him- aggressively with her slight frame. She threw herself at him, and not in a sexual way. As her hide hit his, all it caused was a slight side-step to recatch his balance, but nothing further. It was flesh versus flesh, and Caleb won. A sly smile spread on his lips. She wanted to fight? He could dish it out as easily as he could allow it. "Do you wish to fight, Enna?" His smirk had faded, replaced with a iron seriousness. "I don't." He concluded plainly, gaze shifting away away. He knows there are things they need to talk about, but he cannot stay forever. He shifts so his stands head-to-head with her. He moves towards her hesitantly, noting the sudden change in her flanks from fat to thin. His brow creased, furrowing downwards. What the hell happened?

What had previously been a mischievous confusion, turned quickly into worry. Had she given birth, was there a foal? He became plagued with worry, eyes very much fixed on her sides, searching for answers, anything. Was Enna okay?

There were gaps in this story he couldn't fill by himself, the most important being if she was pregnant before or not. Where was the foal? Was she only mad about him ducking out after fucking her?

There was too much confusion for the stoic beast.

Then he surged forwards, snout searching to touch her barrel which had been so large hardly a week ago. He wasn't sure if he was trying to comfort her or himself, but he wanted contact, to know she was real and here with him something to ground him. He needed her to ground him, keep him from floating away. "Are you okay?" He murmured, worry etched in his words. After a few moments, he spoke again. "Enna... I'm so sorry."

thoughts
"speech."

baylee

Blood, it is thick within your mouth, metallic as he taunts you, barely budged from his position. Your shoulder hurts like nothing you have known, the radiating pain hot against your flesh. You do not know if you have broken something, and in this moment you do not care. Concern laces across his face but you simply frown, muscles tense as he reaches out for you, taking your concentration away from your self-inflicted wounds. “Don’t you dare even touch me, you lost that right.” Hold me. I want you to hold me, to feel you against me once more because I have missed you so. You recoil from his touch, and if you could you would hide from the northern blue of those eyes too. But he does not advance any further and the hurt that expresses itself only as anger hangs palpably in the air. Until he breaks it, and that hurt becomes something dangerous. Your gaze sharpens as he asks of your well-being, a snarl forming on your thin lips. “No, I’m pretty fucking far from okay.” You shift from him, limping on your front limb pathetically. Your eyes do not meet him, and even as he apologizes you bristle further. “Do you think I need your apologies, Caleb? Is that somehow going to make everything better?”

The pain in your limb only furthers your contempt for the man, shouldering the blame on to him like you have so many times already. But as you look at him, your heart crumbles, brows furrowing and eyes becoming hot even though you struggle to fight back the tears. You do not want him to see you weak, to expose a side of yourself that he had only taken advantage of before, but as the anger that had stormed through you melts away, only emptiness takes its place. You can see it in the way he looks at you, all the questions that he shouldn’t ask because what fucking right does he have even now, when he had simply left you after getting what he wanted, without a care towards anything that happened after that? “She died, you know.” It is a quiet confession, one that you cannot even look him in the eyes for. “I… I don’t think she ever lived, she was so small –“ You omit all the worry that it had been your fault, that you were too small, too young, to carry her in the first place, that you should have been more careful from the moment that you knew.

“She looked a lot like you.”

@Caleb

@Enna anddd some of the mask comes down for now&&this sucks sorry x:

Cαλεβ ανδ Ηενριεττα

Caleb had left Enna with a bitter aftertaste, an inevitable sourness that crossed her tongue once he was gone, leaving her wondering why she had ever taken a sip in the beginning. He made a mental note: Touch her mind, not her body.. Make her smile, not cry. The lesson was learned and now Caleb tried to amend everything, glue the shattered pieces of their relationship back together. He listened to her words as she recoiled away from him. He knows he has royally fucked up, but he cannot change the past. The beast stays quiet, listening to her honest words.

"No, Enna... I know 'sorry' won't make things better, but you need to know why I did-" His voice is cut off by hers. A soft murmur is all she offers, but he hears it, hears the pain and struggle and emotion in her hushed words. He feels his shell shattering, cracking, falling. He had a child... And she looked like him. He shuts up, mouth sealed tightly shut. He was a father.

Or had been.

"Where is she..?" He asks softly, voice delicate. For the first time in Helovia, Caleb sounds breakable. Or is he already broken, shattered into millions of glassy pieces? He wanted know where she was buried, to look upon her grave with a father's mourning sadness. Was it strange to love someone he never knew, to mourn a stranger's death? "This is my fault..." He muttered quietly. "Hybrids are somewhat infertile." He blamed himself, his genetics, his makeup, everything. He should've let the King in his previous home kill him. Then no one would feel the pain he caused, know his cold exterior. They would've never his name, nor his coat. He would've never happened. It should've been like that. 

"I'm so sorry..." He repeated, whispered it.

thoughts
"speech."

▷ baylee ◁

“Why you did what. It is harsh against the night, meant to make him squirm though you know it will not. But he does. Not because of your anger, but because of your admittance of his daughter, her life snuffed out because you had been too careless. You simply stare at him at first, too stunned to register the agony, or maybe confusion, written across his face. You nearly reach out to him then, seek the same flesh that you had denied moments ago, but you do not, too weary of the consequences it brought once before. His pain bleeds through and burns the rest of your anger away. You are naked beneath that, raw with the grief of loss anew within your heart, something that, for once, you share with this man that was the cause of your hurt in the first place. He asks of her and you simply look at him for a moment, the tears that have swelled within your eyes finally trickling down your cheeks. In this moment he is not your enemy, not something to be feared, he is a man experiencing the loss of a child, something that you cannot turn him away from knowing full-well the weight it bears.

“Underneath a tree near the bottom of a mountain; I’ll take you to her if you want.” You need to go too, to solidify all of this in your mind, your heart, once again. He surprises you then, blaming himself for what had happened to her. You shake your head, wanting desperately to comfort him the way you so need to be comforted, but unsure how. “Caleb, no–“ It is all you manage to croak out, finding your heart twisting with guilt and frustration, your knees trembling beneath your weight. “Even if that’s part of it, I think I was too small, too reckless–it was a difficult birth…” One that you don’t even remember, losing too much blood to even stay conscious.  “I’m sorry too.” It is only then that you look him in the eyes, a small smile quivering along your lips.

Cαλεβ ανδ Ηενριεττα

“Why you did what.” "WHY I FUCKING RAN AWAY." He says slightly louder than his whispers, not angry, just louder. "I didn't want to..." Then everything is hushed whispers and tears as she explains what happened to their daughter. She was buried under a tree, her grave lying in the cool shade, watching the Birdsong sky wear it's bright blue cloak.

She doesn't allow Caleb to take the blame, putting it all on herself. "Enna, stop. It's not your fault... it's none of ours." He concluded then, sternly. His breaking mask had been settled back into place,, glued together. Despite his mind screaming with turmoil, he remains stoic and impassive, the overflow of emotions possibly causing a sort of short-circuit within him.

Her eyes meet his as she apologizes. Hers brim with tears, his are aflame with emotions, their sad silver color so out of place on his indifferent features. Marble face presses forwards, reaching for Enna's left shoulder, to comfort the slight mare. He murmurs something incoherent, something that was most likely along the lines of we will get through this.

After a short pause, the beast inhales her scent deeply, exhaling in the form of a dejected sigh. "I want to go to her." He feels Henrietta waking up, he feels his emotions pour through their connection towards her, updating her on all of this shit. His loyal hound begins sprinting, desperate to catch up with Caleb and Enna who linger on the borders. She had been rather close, and when her silver eyes see them, her heart breaks for them slightly. Caleb and Enna, two horses searching for warmth in the coldest place of Helovia. She joins Caleb's side, her expression sad.

He backs away from her, turning to move out from the Northern Territories and towards Thistle, walking extra slowly for Enna, who's tears he tries to wipe away with his snout as they continue on. Don't cry, it'll be okay, he chides her every time he reaches for the tears, to wipe away her sadness.

thoughts
"speech."

▷ baylee ◁

It surprises you how willingly you swallow his excuses, how there is no spark of resentment within you as he surmises all of his betrayal all wrong. You are not angry with him for leaving, because you do not know what you would have done if he had stayed, just all of the rest of it. But you are too warn, too weary to entertain such things, and as he explains that it is neither of your faults, that it just is you take that willingly, too. It seems so much easier to say that things like that happen, that neither of you could have prevented it. In a way it is what you wanted to hear, that you had done all you could to keep her safe, to give her the best chance that she could ever have. You know it is a lie, know because if you had she would still be here, but it is a lie that you cling to with desperate tightness. He touches you, and while your first instinct is to push him away, you only stand, staring at him with a blank expression. You do not return his attempt at comfort, afraid to fall back into him, for him, all over again. He wants to go to her, and you nod slightly, finally breaking away from his touch, the bittersweet warmth. It is then that you remember your shoulder, waiting patiently as your magic mends the limb before you turn to him again, jumping slightly as he moves to wipe your tears from your cheeks.

You do not know how to react to this tenderness, do not know what to expect next; and so you don’t, allowing him whatever hollow affections he desires, refusing to allow your heart to feel anything but the grief that is so numbing, so new. You remain quiet throughout the time, each step away from the comfort of your home, of solitude, becoming harder as you continue. There are several times when you nearly turn and bolt, away from him, away from what lies at the end of the road, wishing that this were just a dream, that you would wake up sometime tomorrow and it would linger on your tired mind for moments before disappearing from your memory, that, somehow, not revisiting the wound in the earth that you had left, the only physical reminder that she was ever even there would make all of it disappear, undo what has been done. But you know this is foolishness, and even as you round the bend, your heart fluttering wildly against your chest, sinkingsinkingsinking, you want nothing more than to run.

It is then that your eyes lay on the upturned earth beneath the embrace of a single tree, blooming with white flowers that even with all your knowledge you do not know, have never seen, that your throat suddenly closes, making it hard to breathe, the tears that had dried and left swelling hotly in your eyes. You lay beside it then, brushing your muzzle against the dry earth slowly, somehow feeling the closest that you have to her in weeks. Moments of this silent brooding pass before you acknowledge the black-skinned man again, nothing given but more of your regrets and sorrows: “I named her Quinn.”

Quiet, trembling, you look to him for only a moment before returning to the pile of dirt that separates you from your first, your only, child. “Before she came all I could think about were the ways in which I was not ready for a child, the ways that I would fail her as a mother, how utterly terrified of the world she was to be born into I was, and all the ways it might hurt her, the ways I couldn’t protect her.” Your voice is a slow and unsteady pianissimo, cracking here and there through the tears, through the hurt that pulses through your veins like barbed wire, cutting, burning. “I wished that I didn’t have to be ready, that you never… that I never even knew you, that she never even came to be,” Something cold seeps into your words then, cold and distant, distraught. “But from the moment I saw her something shifted, I was so certain that she was right, and I loved her entirely. I looked upon her and saw everything that I ever needed, wanted, could ever even hope for, she was so… perfect, Caleb, and I had wished her away. Because of my own self-loating and pity, I lost her.”

@Caleb

Cαλεβ ανδ Ηενριεττα

After they walked to the grave, a long silent walk, it became clear something had not only broken between them, but also glued them close. It was comparable how he felt, the nerves wracking through his body, knowing he was going to fuck this up more, knowing that with the wrong string of words, all his meticulously built facade and reveal the ugly, venomous, truth. He cringed at the thought of his naked emotions, all that he hid from the world, from everyone's critical eyes. Then she spoke, her angelic voice dragging him back to the present, grounding him.

She says a lot, and none of it is unheard, but he holds onto one specific sentence the most, holding onto it with a death-like grip. I named her Quinn. Caleb held those words, wishing they still held value. She is still Quinn, in every essence. She couldn't not be. The hybrid could not believe she was dead, part of him already longing for her back, a lifeless stranger. As the man looked on his laying counterpart, the hard creases of a constant scowl vanished and he looked like a colt old again, vulnerable to the world and it's cruelties, yet so naive. Caleb didn't know the world could fuck him over like this, rip his cold heart out of it's place, inject an iron sadness into his skeleton.

He couldn't speak, words lost to him completely. He looked upon Quinn's grade, all traces of youth lost once again. He looked ancient, tired and withdrawn. Then his lips and tongue form words, strange words, ones that are not of comfort nor cruelty, but air on the side of mandating Enna's graduation from Caleb. "I'm not the perfect other half for you, nor am I even an adequate counterpart." It's a murmur, a sickening quietness that steadily hovers over his words. "Enna, I'm not really an emotional horse, I don't feel like you do." The vague wording would no doubt lead to some confusion, perhaps curiosity, but he couldn't have said it better. "I'm upset she couldn't laugh for the first time, nor cry, love, lose, grow, do anything, but I don't feel the attachment you do." He shook his head, disappointed in himself. "I can't love, Enna, I never will be able to." Enna had loved this foal, but Caleb? He was just sad he didn't have a live child, but his heart did not break like hers does, nor does he weep as she does. So awkwardly, he stood, a statue, void of emotions and expression. Even his normally intense eyes carry a dull nothingness, the sort of thing psychopaths emerge from. Though it is certain, Caleb is no psychopath. And these cold eyes, they bore into Quinn's grave, look anywhere but Enna. Then, his entire body is screaming a desperate I'm sorry through that stone awkwardness.

thoughts
"speech."

▷ baylee ◁
[Image: caleb_by_lovelyskylark-d995h4j.png]
a cold-hearted man was once a man that once cared too much.

“Upset…” It is caught between a statement and a question, his cold words beyond comprehension for you. For a long time you remain quiet, hardly moving save for the occasional blink, the gentle movement of your sides. The tears that had clouded your vision have dried, the aching with your heart burnt out; an overwhelming quietness resides within you, suffocating everything so that nothing remains. You do not look at him, your lips pressed tightly together as your eyes stare at the dirt, unseeing. For a long time you are silent, until the ringing of your ears is too much for you to take, his presence fucking poison, the thought of him so much as looking at you, at the upturned earth representing a precious life that didn’t even get to be lived, that he doesn’t even mourn, setting your skin to crawling. “Do you know what I think?” Slowly, so painfully slowly, you turn towards him, anger suddenly bursting to life within your chest as you climb to your feet once more. “I think that you are a coward,” it is spat, your eyes hard as they stare accusingly at him, your heart turning cold like it should have done long ago, the moment that you saw him. “That you can but you do not because you are too scared to separate yourself for a single moment from your world that so tightly revolves around you, no one else, just you.” You step towards him then, your muscles so immeasurably taught under a thin layer of skin, a distinct feralness sharpening your gaze.

“That you are afraid of being wrong, and in that wrongness that you will feel how you have hurt me, hurt everyone that has had the utter misfortune of knowing you.” You tremble as the words leave you but you do not back down from him, from allowing the pain caused by his hand, your foolishness, to bleed from you. “I never thought you were perfect for me, I didn’t want you to be. I just wanted you to be there, like I would have been for you if you only gave me the chance. I would have loved (the word breaks, the strength of the courage that you had found crumbling as all of the hurt seeps back in to your scope of feeling, no longer numb) you, and you chose to betray me, to abandon me, because it suited your needs at the time.” You only stop your advance when you are inches from him, your brows furrowing for an instant between seconds, eyes flickering over every inch of his face, remembering it for the last time.

“I will not fall for it a second time. Leave me.”

@Caleb

He doesn't answer her, instead he stoically watches, pushing whatever sadness bubbles in his gut away. She, along with every other horse he had ever known, pushed him away. Couldn't they tell her didn't want to leave? The beast wanted to stay, yet no one would allow him to unless he learned to love. What was this world he had joined, and why was he so out of place, a siren in a land of soft, harmonious, music. He is the one off-key note in an otherwise beautiful lullaby.

As she accuses him of things that are certainly untrue, he grows withdrawn, slowly backing away, knowing she will tell him to leave, knowing that she will not care when he listens.

Breathlessly, he waits for the words that dismiss him. The world of sex and foals was no place for a two year old, it here he was, with a mare who hated him while looking over his first child's grave.

A deep, dark, perhaps satanic, chuckle vibrates from his jaw, it's broken, dejected sound eerie and disheartening at the same time. "Tell me I am a father, tell me my child is dead, accuse me in such a vulnerable state, then dismiss me like a child." After his deathly silent words are whispered from his lips, he pauses, eyes shifting to his daughter's grave momentarily. "Do you want me to say it?" He asks harshly. "Fine. I'm fucking scared. Is that what you wanted, Enna? To point out my flaws and attack me with them? You wouldn't like that to happen to you. Do you expect me to act normally after hearing that I am the father of a child that never took a breath? Is it normal for you to accuse me of being wanting to be in the center of the world when you act like I should bow down to the goddamn ground you walk on?" She made no sense. This made no sense. Why had he ever thought they'd be compatible? She was a fiery mare and he was a cold stallion. They are polar opposites, too opposite to function. If she grew colder, or he warmer, maybe then it would work, but not now.

Caleb turns away, wordlessly now. He begins walking home, a sort of march. Henrietta, for once, does not follow, but lingers around Enna. The Beast's beast is more supportive than the Beast himself. Ironic.
[Image: caleb_by_lovelyskylark-d995h4j.png]
a cold-hearted man was once a man that once cared too much.