the Rift

[PRIVATE] Stormy-eyed and daily discontented.

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
Sheba
another ticking bomb to bury deep and detonate

The birds were singing and the woodland creatures had come out of hiding: on this bright morning, it was clear that Birdsong was in full swing. As the sun shone down on all magnanimously, a light breeze cavorted its way across Helovia. Tumbling over the bigger trees, it darted through the Secret Grove, rippling the smooth surface of the pond and pushing back the hanging willow fronds to reveal the lone white figure beneath. The aged mare stirred, then opened rheumy eyes to the light of a new day. Outside of her shelter, chipmunks frolicked and wildflowers spread their petals, and the mare took it all in with a quiet sigh. Gods, how she hated spring.

Muttering darkly to herself, Sheba pushed past the clinging fingers of the willow and shuffled into the light to drink from the pond. She was careful to avoid the sight of her own reflection; she didn’t need another reminder this early in the morning about how ugly she was. Perhaps it wasn’t fair to say that she hated the season, but the wizened creature was very aware of the contrast between the world in bloom and herself most decidedly not. She would take the warmth of the sun on her back and would eat the new grass that nature had provided, but the sight of all this unattainable beauty left her with a rather sour taste in her mouth. Scowling at a baby rabbit, she displaced it from its hiding place in the green and ate her breakfast.

Despite the grove’s natural loveliness, Sheba found that it made a good place to pass the time. It was tranquil and still, and the cluster of willow trees provided not only shelter, but valuable privacy. Since patrolling here several days ago, the old gray mare had often returned to doze beneath their spreading branches. The whole place was a quiet refuge from the clamor of Helovia, away from the prying eyes and stupid chatter of the busybodies she detested. Aside from the occasional amorous couple who wandered through, she was left mainly to herself—and that was just the way she liked it. Good company was so hard to come by these days that Sheba had nearly given up on trying to find them.

"speech"
Image Credits || original coding by Tamme; modified by Shady

@Glasgow
Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark

I didn’t know exactly what I was getting myself into, exploring so much. Granted, yes, I had been away for quite some time. However, I needed to rest and get some muscle on my bones before exploring Helovia as a whole. Apparently, despite my mind telling me so, my heart told me differently. I needed to find someone that I could speak with, someone that could understand and listen when needed. Someone that was probably more my age.

Though I never did listen to my mind very well. That was evident with Socket, my dead sister. Had I listened to my heart perhaps I could’ve brought her back. The possibility was very bright in the back of my mind with every breath I took, grateful and hating, the fact that I was still walking this earth. And as I approached a place I hadn’t seen ever before, the beauty that resided in it pained my heart with an effort. She probably would have enjoyed this place. But as I walked further in, I noticed parts of it held water that resembled more so of ponds than anything else. That was when I remembered her narcissism. Perhaps it wouldn’t have lasted after all. She was too engulfed in herself to notice anything different.

I knew better, though. I always had. However, as I rounded a corner – joints aching with every step of the day – I noticed a pale creature in the distance. Rather than getting my hopes up like I had been known to do, I waited to get closer to this aura before deciding it to be someone who it would be hard to believe was real again. I grew closer, slow strides that weren’t quiet in the slightest. I wasn’t trying to sneak up on them. I didn’t want to scare them, after all.

I wasn’t anything to look at. Scarred face that looked as though I couldn’t see and couldn’t speak. Granted, I didn’t enjoy speaking. I rarely did it. My voice cracked in weird places and it was nearly embarrassing for an ex diplomat, as I had been previously. As I walked into hearing range, I offered a nicker as a hello in the direction of the other equine. Still hazy eyes watching what smelled to me like a mare finding a breakfast under the view of a beautiful tree. She seemed old enough to have seen some interesting things in her life that maybe – just maybe – I wouldn’t be the scariest thing she saw all day.

'We've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette.
I'm a lifeless face you'll soon forget.'
IMAGE CREDITS

@Sheba Old Ladies Unite! xD

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
Sheba
another ticking bomb to bury deep and detonate

As she dozed in the sunshine, Sheba’s thoughts turned inward. What would life have been like, she wondered, if she had never gotten mixed up with this so-called god of the sun and his promises of magic? This curse had consumed the better part of her time in Helovia, and nearly the entirety of her past two years had been spent coming to terms with the reality of her predicament. The world would have belonged to her, she mused with a disgruntled sigh. The world had always belonged to the young and the beautiful, and it had been in the palm of her hand. Yet she had made the same mistake over and over, chasing the power that others could offer when it had been in front of her all along. She had never needed magic, she realized now. She had only wanted it. But wanting never had been and never would be enough. It was a lesson she had learned long ago, and she had been a fool not to see her desire for what it had been.

Warmed by the light of the Birdsong sun, a tiny portion of her shriveled heart cringed in protest. Winning love and winning magic aren’t the same, it murmured. There’s a price to be paid for magic, but love is— No, her mind interrupted. There is a price to be paid for both, and gods knew that she had narrowly avoided one only to waltz right into the other. Sheba was no better than the rest of them. It was her fatal flaw, her Achilles’ heel, to want that which she would never have, yet she stubbornly stumbled onward with the rest of the masses, chasing the shadows of dreams that would never come to fruition. Magic, power: they were the same, each only fleeting at best. And love, that was the worst of them all. For she could at least see the temporary usefulness of magic and power, but love—she spat the single syllable in her mind derisively, as if it were a dirty word—love only took, never gave. Perhaps then, she comforted herself, she had learned the easiest lesson long ago.

Thoughts having grown unexpectedly dark, the sound of hooves was for once a welcome distraction. At the signal of another’s approach the long grey lashes fluttered, cloudy eyes opened, and for a moment, it was like gazing into a mirror. The ivory mare before her had also seen better days, her tattered coat and milky eyes strikingly similar to Sheba’s own. The resemblance was decidedly uncanny, and at first Sheba wondered if she had fallen asleep once more and slipped into a nightmare. Was that really what she looked like now? 

However, her saving grace lay in the few differences. Sheba lacked the broken horns and the jagged facial scars—a fact she delighted in as soon as she noticed.  “Hello! she cried warmly, nearly laughing in joy: this mare was uglier than she was!

"speech"
Image Credits || original coding by Tamme; modified by Shady

@Glasgow
Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark

I approached further, staying rather quiet which was probably a bad idea. I should have at least said something. However, before I could form the words in my head to speak to her, she spoke to me. A simple humorous Hello. I wondered what she could be so excited about. Perhaps the gorgeous Birdsong day put her in a good mood? Or perhaps something entirely different. I wasn’t so sure, but I wasn’t going to let it bother me.

I dipped my head to her gently, offering her a small smile. “Ah, hello there.” I spoke softly, trying to keep my voice from cracking from the many years of being unused. I wasn’t exactly sure where to go from here, but I approached with a good amount of distance between the mare and I as to not get in a bubble she may have created. Eyes glanced over her before turning to the tree, enjoying the streaks of sun that slid through the leaves and onto my pelt.

A few moments later, I turned my attention to the mare once more. “I’m Glasgow. I apologize for barging in on you.” I said gently, voice growing a bit stronger as I grew more confident in my voice. I dropped my gaze from the mare in a curious manner before looking to the ground. Still wondering what perhaps put the mare in such a good and entertained mood, hoping that it wasn’t me. Though also understanding if it were me. Perhaps I could get along better if people laughed at my appearance rather than be frightened of it.

She looked a lot like me in some aspects. She was of a porcelain coloring as was I. She was graced with a singular horn whereas I carried dual horns and one broken off. A shame, really. Though a token to show that I fought for my sister and left a mark in the Darkness. I guess I was kind of proud of it in a way, at least the courage I had to actually fight it. Not so much the pain and scars afterward. But would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

'We've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette.
I'm a lifeless face you'll soon forget.'
IMAGE CREDITS

@Sheba SORRY IT'S POO :c