the Rift

[PRIVATE] why even try?

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

give me hope in the darkness
so that I will see the light

The battle ended much like the one before did. Once the wolf was dead the Moon Goddess handed out gifts, little trinkets as some kind of sick reward. I stared at the fang she'd given to me for the longest time before I leaned down and picked it up. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with it or if I even wanted it, but it was rude not to take it, wasn't it?

I sighed as I walked away from the gathering, my disgust, and sadness, and my anger growing with each step I took. I wanted to scream at my mother, at my aunt, at Cera, and at Archibald for what they'd done. How could they not see how pointless it was to attack the Goddess? She was too powerful. We may have killed the bear god and now the wolf god, but there was something innately different about them. Helvoia's gods were sick like these other gods that came through. They weren't weak.

Honestly, I thought that what was left of my family would be killed because of it. Hadn't the Goddess proven how heartless she could be? Why tempt her? It was like playing with fire and then complaining when you got burned. It was stupid. They were stupid and it made me so angry.

That anger I felt toward them was the whole reason I walked away without telling them anything. If I faced them right then I knew there was a chance that I would just yell at them. The best thing for me to do was just keep walking and not stop until I finally made it home.

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The fighting with Knox absolved, and the broken colt slank away like a coward. White, hot anger still fumed within Archibald's head and he let loose a roar. It was something so fierce and primal it shook the earth around him. Armor collapsed into his breast collar and Loretta ran towards him. Archibald! She yipped across the bond, eyes flashing an image of the golden and black filly he knew as a neice. Snorting and stomping his foot, Archibald let the anger fall from his back. Sighing, the stallion dipped his head and shook his body out. Despite Respledence's healing, he was exhausted. Turning, golden eyes swept over the battlefield. The Goddess was gone, but the words washed over him. He could go to the veins, visit her shrine, and get answers. The Dauntless suspected they might not be the answers he wanted--the truthful answers--but he tucked the information away. He saw Ranjiri then, and trotted off after her. Ktulu was nowhere to be found, and so Archibald took the parenting onto himself.

"Ranjiri!" The massive stallion bellowed, closing the distance between he and she. The Dauntless slowed to match her steps, and he could feel the radiating heat of anger coming off of her body in waves. "Ranjiri--I know you're hurt--we're all hurt--Ranjiri--WAIT!" Archibald finally commanded, stopping his own hooves. He stood planted behind the stalking mare. He waited for her to turn on him, become a hurricane of rage--much like her mother would do--and he even remembered the remnants of her mother's magic lacing through his esophagus. Blinking, the Dauntless stood silent and vigilant, the beginnings of black ooze starting to drop from his nose.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

Call out to nobody, call out to me
Chip on the shoulder, the dime in the teeth

image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

I heard him when he said my name the first time, but I ignored him because maybe if I ignored him he would leave me alone and just go away. I didn't want to see him, my mom, my aunt, or Cera. None of them. But he said my name again, said that he knew I was hurt and that they all were. Everyone was always hurt because of something and everyone was always hurting someone else. It was they way life was and I came to accept it, but it didn't mean that I didn't have to be angry about it.

"WAIT!"

I guess it was the command in his voice that made me stop even when I wanted to keep walking and keep ignoring him. "What?" I asked without even turning to look at him. What could you possibly want? Haven't you done enough? It took me several moments before I finally turned my head to look at Archibald because I knew he wasn't going anywhere. He stood there with his hooves planted firm, like he was waiting for me to turn on him and attack him. I may have been my mother's daughter and inherited certain traits of her anger, but I didn't inherit her stupidity or my aunt's. 

Why would I attack someone I had no hope of defeating?

"I don't want to talk to you." I said, but as I spoke I turned to face the Dauntless fully. I want to scream at you. I want to hit you. My tail flicked and I snorted. "Just leave me alone." 

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

As Archibald stood there, waiting for the filly to respond to him, black tar-like ooze dribbled from his nose and mouth. Small black tears fell slowly and silently from his golden eyes. Archibald had no idea what was happening to him, but he suspected the Moon Goddess was behind it. She was not above torturing mortals, as all of Helovia knew, especially those that defied her. A slow sputter started in his lungs, then he coughed. The massive stallion spit and coughed thick, dark tar onto the ground beneath his incredible, feathered hooves.

Ranjiri spoke and Archibald perked his ears to listen. What!? she demanded, eyes not even cast his way. The Dauntless' jaw hardened and he took a single step towards the black and gold girl. Finally, the filly turned to face him, but she slashed at him with cold words and broken anger. Even with the Labyrinth ooze dripping from facial orifices, Archibald's face was as stoic and hard as always. "Talk to me, Ranjiri." He demanded, voice softer than before. He wanted to talk with her, to help her understand his position and his actions as much as he wanted to understand her's. How she could forgive the Moon's transgressions he could not comprehend--the lilac deity had slaughtered her brother in cold blood--but he wanted to understand. This girl before him, still but a babe in his eyes, held a wisdom and strength he obviously could not grasp in his brokenheartedness.

Behind him, Loretta stood guard. Her tail was a rigid board behind her body, ears flattened against her head. No matter who they were, no one had the audacity to talk to her Dauntless in such a manner and walk away without a limp. The bitch started to snarl, but Archibald silenced her harshly through their bond. Enough. Be gone. He commanded, and she--although pissed--obediently retreated toward home.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

@Ranjiri

Through the ages of time

please tag me

"Talk to me, Ranjiri."

I simply stared at him because hadn't I just said that I didn't want to talk to him? "Why?" I asked after what felt like a lifetime of silence had ticked past. Why would I want to talk to you? was what I really wanted to ask, but I couldn't force the words out. Why did you come after me and not my mom? I continued to stare until I saw movement by Archibald and my gaze fell to his companion, who looked angry. Why? Because of the way I was talking to Archibald? I couldn't even make myself care. Let her attack me if it would make her feel better.

"What do you want me to talk to you about?" I asked. "About the fight?" And as I said it it dawned on me that he had probably only come after me because I hadn't fought against the Goddess like him and my mom and my aunt and Cera had. I had defended her and tried to get them to stop attacking her and attack the wolf instead. I didn't want to believe that was the only reason Archibald had tracked me down, but I trusted my gut instinct.

"Do you want me to tell you why I chose not to fight the Goddess?" My gaze was hard and as I asked that question I lifted my head in the stubborn manner that I had learned from watching my mother. "Or do you want to know why I'm angry with you and my mother and my aunt and Cera, because I think that much is obvious..." I cut myself off because I needed to before I said something that I would end up regretting in a few days. "Why did you attack her? Did you think you could win? Hototo was part god and she still killed him..." Do you want to die?

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Archibald was a statue before her, dripping with thick, black tar. Even as the day faded toward night Archibald was silent, standing stark still as Ranjiri yelled at him. Emotion was clear in her voice, ranging from sadness to anger to gods know what. Within his dark breast, the same emotions waged war. For a beast so outwardly stoic, Archibald felt quite a lot in the wake of his mother's death. The leech of a black widow that she was was gone, forever, and in her demonic shadow Archibald finally had the ability to feel for himself.

And with those feelings, brought pain that Archibald wished did not cut so deeply.

"I want to know it all. I want to understand how you--so young and so pure--can overcome something so tragic." Golden eyes, outlined in thick, ebony eyeliner, stared down into her pupiless crimson. Where others might find the blood color of her eye, with no pupil to offset or darken, might be afraid, all Archibald could see was the image of her mother. Even as Ranjiri spoke now, she resembled Ktulu--probably more than either of them would like to admit.

At her question, however, Archibald's ears flicked back against his skull. I did it for Circe. For my sons. For my daughter. For Ktulu. For Ophelia. For you." His voice was hard, his face contorting into some dark scowl that seemed so natural on his stoney features. Warmth spread in his gut like wildfire, overtaking his tongue. "I learned that gods can bleed today. No words, no actions can make me feel remorse for what I did. If I can make her feel an ounce of the pain, the suffering, I have then it is worth the cuts and scars and bruises and death.  I fear nothing."

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

@Ranjiri

Through the ages of time

please tag me

"I want to know it all. I want to understand how you--so young and so pure--can overcome something so tragic."

"I have no choice." My reply came out terse and far more harsh than I had intended it to, but it was the truth. I had no choice but to move on with my life because dwelling in that dark place that I had been in wasn't something that I wanted to continue. It helped that I had a herd that I was part of and the responsibility that Gaucho had given me was another thing that pulled me back from the downward spiral that I'd been in. It had just taken me a little longer that I liked to finally realize that I could keep going, but it was hard"I could either grieve myself to death or I could find something else to live for. I chose to live. I chose not to fight the Goddess, I chose to protect her so I could try to protect what's left of my family. My brother is dead. My dad is dead. All I have left is momma, Cera, Aunt Phi, and you and you're all so willing to throw your lives away over your selfish desire for revenge..." Your revenge won't bring them back. It won't change what happened.

I visibly flinched when Archibald answered the question that I'd asked about why he had decided to fight. For Circe. His sons. His daughter. Momma. Aunt Phi. I really had no reaction to their names as he said them, but when he said me I felt my heart slam against my chest. Me? "I don't want you to fight for me!" I screamed before I could stop myself. I could feel the tears on my face, hot and burning like acid. Why? Why did the tears have to start now when I wanted so very badly to be strong.

"If I can make her feel an ounce of the pain, the suffering, I have then it is worth the cuts and scars and bruises and death.  I fear nothing."

I didn't, I couldn't understand the logic behind what he said. How could he say that he fought for his family then be so ready to die for vengeance? He had children. He had a hell of a lot more to live for than I did. "Its worth death?" I asked. "Your vengeance is worth death? What about your children? They already lost their mother and you're ready to throw your life away just to hurt her? Shouldn't your children be worth living for?" Honestly, if Archibald didn't think so then he had no business being a father, but that was an opinion I was going to keep to myself.

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!