the Rift

SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames

Evaneska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
a quote can go here if you'd like!
what if it's two lines?
The Rift was a fickle place. Its volatile nature left it unpredictable. In turn this made the unstable and corrupt land even more deadly. The only constant were the threats that lurked in the shadows. Around any corner Death could be awaiting with his scythe in hand. It was a chilling fact that sent waves of shivers along countless spines. Always having to look behind your shoulder - once, twice, thrice - was unnerving. This was the reason why I couldn't lie to Cora.

And this reason was soon justified.

Thump, thump. To an unsteady drum my heart now beat, falling out of sync from its regular cadence. The air was being torn apart. Its very essence was being torn apart particle by particle. A flaming halo had formed. Like water it cast a reflection of the Halcyon Flats. But perhaps that was a lie. No, surely it had to be the Flats. The layout was the same, the scenery familiar. But it looked so alive.. so healthy.

I wanted to run. I wanted to flee and never look back. My instincts and brain were all driving me away from this. The need to get away was so strong yet everything that was happening now was going against my very character. Perhaps I had finally reached my breaking point - maybe my brain and sense were deteriorating. In a place like this is was easy to lose your mind. Yet at the same time something felt.. something felt..

Like it was pulling me in.

The fire was not searing hot. Instead it was warm and comfortable. It made me feel safe. When was the last time I had experienced such a thing? I glanced to Cora. Was she feeling the same way I was? Tentatively, quietly, I asked, "What is..?" My words trailed as I cut myself off. Most likely the mare knew nothing more than I did. "It looks like the Flats.. A rejuvenated version.. One that hasn't been touched by the corrupted gods with their vile, tainted hands."

Two steps forward, one step back. Three steps forward, two steps back. The progress was that of a snail. As I stepped closer, memorized by the dancing flames, a gentle heat warmed the cold that had overwhelmed my heart. "Temptation is naught but an evil snake: luring you in with its charming words before striking you down with poison." My body was contradicting everything I said. A sense of hope had been rekindled and my soul was desperately latching to it. "I suppose I am the fool in this story."

Before I could turn around, before reason won out, I stepped through the portal. Hopefully this was not where the story ended for the court jester.

All around me there was life. I couldn't help but gasp, my eyes large. I went to see if Cora followed me, but my gaze was captivated by too many sights. "A mirage.. Surely this has to be. No land has ever painted such beauty." It was a masterpiece. This couldn't possibly be the Flats.. but the salt water that gently caressed my hooves said otherwise.

A magnificent beast bearing the same flames stood with regal grace. He stood on an imaginary pedestal, high above the rest. Power radiated from him. Was he, was he the one who transported me to this world? "Have I died? 'Fore this land is even more luscious than my wildest dreams." By now I was mostly muttering to myself.

I gravitated carefully towards the holy stallion. I knew I should not be taking any steps closer, but something inside of me wanted to be close to him - to feel his embrace. My body trembled. So many emotions, so many thoughts. I fell to my knees, my head bowed. "A blemish, a mere speck of debris. 'Tis what I have always been. I should not be in thy's present, nor addressing thine savior in such a manner. I do not wish to dirty this land with my presence."

Still I rested on my knees, bowing before the familiar presence of a god. "But like all living entities I am selfish. Ruler of Flame, purifier of these lands - may I be allowed to stay in this wonderland.. this Helovia?" If this was a dream please don't wake me up. If this was the afterlife.. then I wish I had mustered up enough courage ages ago to depart from the land of the living so that I may walk on this glorious land.

Though I had to wonder.. did I deserve such a thing? And then there was the matter of this glorious deities. Past interactions had left mentally sharp cuts that would probably never heal.

"Talk?"

mentions @Persephone @God of the Sun
ooc permission was given to address/acknowledge persephone despite her not being here yet.
image credits

Messages In This Thread
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Tamme - 09-15-2015, 08:43 PM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Evaneska - 09-15-2015, 10:39 PM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Boy - 09-16-2015, 12:27 AM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Rikyn - 09-16-2015, 08:34 AM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Soren - 09-16-2015, 11:57 AM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Mauja - 09-16-2015, 01:15 PM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Lena - 09-16-2015, 06:08 PM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Rhea - 09-16-2015, 09:56 PM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Iscah - 09-16-2015, 10:09 PM
RE: SWP :: Through the Fire and Flames - by Eden - 09-16-2015, 11:02 PM