the Rift

[PRIVATE] Flower waltz

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε

They stayed in the depths of the forest for days after the battle to recover and process what had happened. With Shadow's renewed vigor and after seeing the bleeding, pus-filled boils on her daughter dry and fade she deemed the child well enough and finally handed out the scolding Erthë had been dreading. Overall it was very eloquent and convincing with well chosen words that had sufficient impact, and the rhetorics of it were quite impeccable. The mare had been working on it for several days after all.

It did impress the child quite a bit, but no eloquence in the world would ever make her appreciate being yelled at. So after listening for a long while at accusations and threats and repercussions along the lines of 'never seen such an irresponsible child in my life' and 'never take my eyes off you again' and 'never do that again' with the underlining message being immense disappointment, the child ran off after a very shrill, teary and forceful 'I hate you'. Mother didn't follow her, and for that the girl was grateful, because Mother did not much approve of tears. And right now she really wanted to cry.

Everything was just unfair! Was it really her fault that gods appeared wherever she went? Could she really be expected to stick to her mother every waking moment of every day, when there were so many interesting things to see and do in the world? Shadow had some nerve to come and say that she was to blame for getting in trouble, when it was the trouble that always, ALWAYS got in her way.

She ran and ran as the anger and sadness and pain rampaged within her small body, until the legs could carry her no longer and she collapsed by the roots of a gnarled old tree. They encircled and dipped into a spring with clear water, lined with rocks almost as red and eerie as the ones up by the blood falls. Snow-colored cheeks felt hot as she pressed them against the cool damp of moss, streaked with inky black filth that had begun to leak from the eyes, the ears, the nose... There was a smell like tar and tears and anger in her mouth, but the red waters in the pool didn't tempt her.

She simply lay there on the ground, feeling as though her heart might actually break from the weight of everything she carried, and though the sun was bright and warm and the sky stretched out high and blue beyond the canopy, the light seemed blurred and hazy to her. Dimmed and faded, unwelcome as the sweet perfume of flowers crushed beneath her careless feet.

It was all just stuffy, hot and clammy anyway, so she didn't care about any of it.

[Knox]

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Zsoka
I live the death of the young and the free
Wander too far from mama, and you run into the bad guys.

Knox and Manhattan have also been presiding in these woods. In the wake of the fight with the Wolf God, they needed time as a pair to consider what had happened. Time to heal bonds, bruises, and split open wounds stinking of blood. Time to prepare themselves for returning home and receiving a horrible scolding for things that Knox barely remembered and Manhattan had not been present to witness.

Everything was a blur, as far as that fight was concerned. And now black tar starts to drip achingly from his every opening. The hunter, he is not having it.

Just before another arrives, he retreats into the form of a much more lighthearted creature. Zsoka, more perceptive in many ways than his host by virtue of being a child, is happy to dart about on three proper legs again. Hasn't it been some time since Knox has given himself up like this? The hunter can't remember.

But the little colt can. He remembers everything that happened, even more than Knox, and he knows a certain something about magic that Knox doesn't. Zsoka knows that more power runs through him than ever before.

Manhattan doesn't give a damn. She lies down in shadows of trees, barely visible, her side still burned and aching. She thinks she has lost some of herself. And so when a white filly appears after the transformation, collapsing onto the ground, she cannot even bother to flick an ear forward. Zsoka will have to go this one alone.

Luckily for the white child, he is happy to.

He trots closer to the tiny form, his dark eyes brightened with curiousity and blackened with the streaks of sickness. Slowly, the disease will take over his other senses. Already he sees more than he hears or smells.

"Hey! Hey you! Get up!" the colt insists, reaching out to butt her side with his head, wanting to play and not lie around like this snowflake and his host's companion rather dully insist upon. "Get up! Get up, snowdrop!"

""
Image Credit

Chan

She was allowed a few precious minutes of solitude, and then someone thoroughly annoying appeared. He was loud, and rude, and persistent, and he touched her like it was the most natural thing in the world! The nose was rough and uncomfortable where it shoved into her side, and the shock of feeling the touch of a stranger startled the girl enough to actually rise - though, it was only to retreat closer to the gnarled tree, away from the... the boy?

The girl scrutinized the other with critical eyes, passing over the lanky, half-grown figure until everything, from coat color to height, health and overwhelming confidence had been processed. He looked older than herself, but not by much. It most definitely was a boy, but he was ruder than any she had come across so far (well, aside from Rikyn) and he already annoyed her. It was a bad time to make acquaintances, Erthë wasn't in the mood for making friends or playing or doing anything at all, really. Her body was sore and weak, coughs tore in her frail lungs and the dead, blind eye was making her head feel swollen and tense, like it was too big for the socket.

It kept itching, but she was afraid of rubbing it too much. As young as she was, even she had to admit that there was something awfully wrong about it. Like the eyeball had died because of the God's blood, and slowly rotted beneath the eyelid...

The thought was horrible and the girl refused to let anyone look at it. Even now she turned her right side at the kid, so that he wouldn't see the horrible swelling, the pus that leaked from the tear canals, the pallid, milky stare so akin to a corpses. It was bad enough that black filth kept leaking from every other opening in her face.

"I'm not a snowdrop"
she grumbled and peered out at the colt from under the thick curls of her forelock.
"Who said you could order me around? Go away, I wanna be alone."

@Knox

Jen
Zsoka

The sickness fades but the stubbornness remains. Always, with Zsoka, there's that attitude. Oh, if only he'd had a mother to breed such wretched insolence out of him.

Oh, if only his father hadn't eaten his mother alive in a ritualistic display of extending one's life. Immortality could never come without a price. Cem's white beauty, preserved still in Knox's breast, was not to come without consequences.

"I don't care," Zsoka says with a sneer and a spit. He kicks the dirt with a hind hoof, spatters saliva before and perhaps even on the filly. She was pretty, and had this form reached maturity it surely would have humped her madly, but he was too young to care. She was just like anyone else, and thus she was obligated to get up and play.

And when he saw that eye, revealed as the forelock fell away with ease, he knew exactly what game he wanted to play.

He wanted to play "debtor. I want to play debtor. It's called you're a loser and I'm a winner but I can make us both win," he says. His tone oozed obnoxious superiority. He understood life far better than she, and he knew how to get what he wanted.

I win, you lose, and then I win and you lose again, the colt thinks with malice as he kicks again at the dirt. "I'll fix your eye, if you play with me."

It is a chance, really, given that Zsoka has never before used his host's magic and even Knox has not used it since its enhancement, but Zsoka isn't one to much care for whether or not an idea is a safe one. Chances, bets, they are his territory. Surely he would have grown to be an incorrigible gambler of fates.

""

""
Image Credit

Chan

She glared at the boy and ruffled the feathers in annoyance, the slender tail beginning to thrash behind her. He refused to leave, and it didn't feel good to have him hovering over her while she lay on the ground. Flattening the ears against the poll she unfurled the legs and heaved herself up on the feet, wings half spread in an instinctive attempt to make herself appear larger and more intimidating. The effect wasn't overwhelming, to tell the truth; it just made her look more like an angry, puffed up kitten - only without the needle-prick claws and sharp teeth.

"I don't believe you."

Her voice was flat, laconic, and the way she looked at him was clearly suspicious. Magic was amazing and it could heal, but Erthë didn't think anything could fix her eye anymore. Maybe one of the gods could... but this stupid boy definitely wasn't one of them.

Still... his words woke a longing in her. It sure would be nice to have the eye back to normal. It had never been of much use, but at least it hadn't been painful before. Sniffing she considered the gangly looking colt, eyelids narrowing in a calculating way. Could it possibly get worse? She wasn't sure what kind of magic he had, or how he intended to fix her, or even if he knew what he was doing. It might hurt, it might be dangerous - magic wasn't to be trifled with, she'd at least learned that much in her short lifespan.

Above all, she didn't like his tone, or how he tried to bribe her.

"Prove it"
she demanded, and raised the head with a challenging smirk.
"Prove that you can fix my eye; and then maybe I'll play with you."

If he didn't want to, he could just leave her alone.

@Knox

sorry for the wait

Time the Dice Queen Posts: 144
OOC Account atk: 50 | def: 50 | dam: 50
Mare :: Other :: 5'7 :: 22 HP: 5050 | Buff: DROPKICK
Time
Unarchived per request.

Jen
Zsoka

Zsoka is filled with his relative's rage. How dare she protest, as if he does not have the power of which he speaks? It becomes difficult to maintain his small form, his body fidgets to put off the desire to burst through its bones and build them longer, larger, stronger forever. He does not realize how soon his wish will come true.

Soon, but now now. Not here, before other prying eyes.

The colt kicks out his awkward bent leg, pushing his lips up and letting spittle fly from them to the mare. Fine, he will show her. He will send her the magic, but take it right back! How will she treat him then, when she knows that he holds the key to her living with sight?

He snorts and does as she wishes wordlessly, slipping silver into the injured eye and letting the magic do its work. It swirls like delicate smoke, dancing through the air before it reaches the filly.

"Do you believe me now?" he queries petulantly, lashing his little tail behind him and kicking absently at a chunk of dirt behind him. He is preparing to pull the magic back, hide her vision again, when a voice, no, a force, stops him.

It's time to go home now, old one.

Zsoka makes a twisted face, flipping his head back as if to search for the source even though he knows its true origin. The girl, that horrible brat of a girl... she is lucky. "You can keep it," he resigns. He is seething, feeling some old anger that wants her to die. "But don't thank me. Don't tell anyone I even exist."

The colt couldn't stand to have his reputation sullied so, and Know knew that a generous act done in secret was often less scrutinized. He willed the colt to turn and leave, pushed him deep into the woods until he was at last out of sight and able to transform. Himself again, he knew one thing: he had to find Manhattan.

""
Image Credit

Sorry for not responding earlier and this is what it is. Now that Manhattan is dead and Knox isn't presently speaking with the ancestors the old threads like this are hard, it's my fault for not getting this done sooner but my muse with him suffers lately. Anyway, now Erthe's eye should be fixed! I didn't want to hold you up any more than you have so I made it quick, can edit if you want.

Chan

With grim satisfaction she watched him struggle, saw ire turn to rage and mold into determination. To think, that mere words could grant such power of people! If the colt had stopped to think, pushed away the anger and the injured pride for a mere moment it would have become obvious to him what she was doing.

But no. He took the bait, swallowed it hook line and sinker, and when he lashes out it is with silvery light - or was it liquid? - that stretched towards her through the void. Her first instinct would have been to duck, to swat it away and turn tail. Magic could do horrible things to people and this was probably stupid, foolish, she had no idea what would happen once the supernal essence touched her skin.

But foolish though it may be, she stood her ground. curiosity was a strong force too, and it ruled her spirit this moment. Holding her breath she stood still, watched the vapor aim for her face, the blind, dead eye that pained her so....

And when it touched her, it was the most peculiar sensation. Neither hot nor cold, not even particularly painful, the magic still caused the girl to flinch and gasp. She shook her head violently, no longer able to remain still as the swollen orb within its socket changed, shrunk and solidified with an itching, burning, tingling sensation.

Erthë kept both her eyes pressed tight together until the discomfort died away. Then she opened them, and squealed in delight. Not only did the damaged eye no longer feel damaged at all, but it did something she had never experienced before. It took in light, registered shapes and colors and was, if anything, even sharper than the right one. To someone who had lived her life in half darkness, this new perspective was at once blinding and dizzying - it would definitely take some getting used to.

Her previous bad temper disappeared like it had never even been there. Frowns vanished in the face of her wide, radiant smile, and she turned to the infuriating colt with a sort of soft, awed glint.

She would have thanked him, would have played with him for days and weeks if he still wished it. Instead, he made grimaces and backed away, clearly intending to leave.

"But.. what about...? Ooh."
She sighed, suddenly disappointed that he actually would go and leave her alone.
"Well... I believe you!"
she called to his back, the gratitude burning on her tongue. Why didn't he wish to receive it? Boys were so weird.

As she was stubborn however, and did whatever she wanted, Erthë waited until Zsoka was nearly out of earshot before she called out one last time;

"Thank you! Let's play next time, okay?"

There. Now everything was right with the world. Smiling to herself the girl turned and left the place as well, ready to make her way back to her mother and start apologizing. Oh, mother would be so surprised to see her new eye!