the Rift

[PRIVATE] Guess I won't be coming to church on Sunday

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

erthë
you're so cold but you feel alive

There was so much about this place that she had yet to discover. Take this room, for example. How many times had she walked past this pathway without even seeing it? Time and again she had overlooked it, busy thinking of ways to learn about the past, in order to make the present and the future more understandable.

And here it had been, all the time. Every answer she had been looking for, every question and silent wonder, explained.

Pity she couldn't decipher it.

Oh, the images were rather self explanatory. There were the gods, four in all, emerging from nothing to shape the land. Three of them she recognized - Spark, Moon, Sun... but the third one was unfamiliar. Was that water and earth, that was depicted around it? She couldn't tell. For all that the pictures were well organized and expertly carved, they could only reveal so much. Once the land lay complete before them, the depiction ended, to the frustration of the girl that so thirsted for knowledge.

What happened after this? What about the fourth god, what about the herd lands, the magic, this endeavor to expand the existing boundaries? It had been made clear that the Blood Falls forest, the winding Green Labyrinth and the glistening Halcyon Flats were not part of the original landscapes of Helovia, suggested by people she had met and confirmed by these etchings.

Muttering angrily to herself the young girl brushed over the reliefs with pearly wings in search of hidden clues. The soft murmur of her voice and steps mingled with that of dripping water over at the spring, together a choral singing her confusion and mounting despair.

"Nothing!" she finally exclaimed, angry enough to swipe away a loose pebble with her tail. It skipped and rolled across the rough stone floor, over the edge of the basin and disappeared with a disembodied 'plop' beneath the surface - completely anticlimactic. Glaring at the ripples that spread over the surface she began to pace, feathers made messy in ruffled agitation and the tail swishing around the legs as though she were an angry feline.

"No answers, no clues, nobody knows anything... How can people even live like this!? How are we supposed to know what to do if there's nothing to look back on?"

She was just a kid, but even she could see how important history was in forming the future. Were the gods keeping them in the dark on purpose?

But no. "The Moon wouldn't do that..."

She was almost completely certain.

image credit

@Evangeline

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

evangeline the pure</style>

'I don't like this place.' Tallis huffed from his perch on Evangeline's back. Her head turned and she glanced back at him and caught his gaze. "I don't either." She murmured back through their bond. "We won't be here much longer..." Ever since the two of them had been stuck underground while the wraiths ran rampant in the world above she'd avoided the place. The only reason they were even there was to gather some of the underground plants to dry and store in the Edge for use later.

Evangeline dipped her head down and ripped a chunk of moss from the floor of the glowing room she was standing in. It had the same eerie feeling that it'd had when they'd been confined there. She turned her head back to the dragon on her back and he grabbed the chunk of moss and held it in his clawed hands. 'Can we go now?' he asked impatiently and Evangeline sighed. "Okay, fine." And she turned as she consented to her companion's request only because if she lingered he'd become annoying.

Aside from the sound of her hooves on the stone floor as she moved through the sanctuary the mare and dragon made no other sound. In the quiet of the caves she heard the young voice that exclaimed nothing! and she paused, her head lifted and her ears tilted forward. Tallis snorted from his position on her back, knowing that his bonded would be curious enough to explore and find where the voice had come from since it sounded so young.

The child was easy enough to find because she kept talking, though most of it was murmurs distorted by the caves. Eva and Tallis stepped into the room where the filly stood just in time to hear her final statement. "The Moon wouldn't do what?" Evangeline asked.

"."

Credits

Chan

erthë

The sudden question startled her enough to jump, thin legs spinning her about so quickly that she almost lost her balance. Wide eyed and rather embarrassed at being caught talking to herself Erthë stared at the stranger in the archway, quickly assessing whether there would be any threat to herself or not. It was a mare, that much she could make out almost at once, and a rather plain looking one as far as she could tell. Sorrel coat, an equine which felt rather unusual, and on her whithers perched... a dragon. A look of delight flashed across her young features at the sight of the companion and she relaxed. Foolishly, perhaps, but she couldn't believe that any creatures as pretty as dragons would actually harm her.

"Oh, nothing really" she mumbled, frowning again as her voice was amplified by the cavern walls. "I was just annoyed that these carvings don't show anything of what I was looking for... " She flashed the offensive wall a sour look. "I thought that the gods might be hiding things on purpose, but I don't see why they would do that. Especially Lady Moon..."

A look of longing adoration crept upon her as she spoke of the lunar deity. The Goddess had made a great impression on the child during the Wolf God battle, out of all the impressive, awe-inspiring deities she had come across so far She was the one that Erthë admired most. She didn't even want to think badly of the Lady, already she regretted the moment of doubt - what reason had she ever been given to suspect Her of anything?

Sighing, the winged filly shrugged and looked back at the dragon and its mare, scrutinizing them both with eyes that were much too old for their youthful vessel.

"You don't happen to know anything about the gods and why they have chosen to acquire new lands, do you? Miss...?"

It was unlikely, of course. So far Erthë had failed in every attempt to learn more about this land that she lived in. The issue seemed to be both uninteresting and obscure to most, and it was reaching a point where she was tempted to seek out the Goddess herself to ask in person. She had said she would be at the Veins, wherever that was.

Maybe it was worth a shot...

image credit

@Evangeline

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

"And what is it that you're looking for?" Evangeline asked, her gaze travelling from the pale filly to the wall that stretched across the room. She could remember standing and looking at the wall, herself, trying to decipher everything depicted. In the end she didn't walk away with any more knowledge than what she'd had when she first looked at it. For as long as she'd lived in Helovia the land was still a mystery to her, but she'd never really had the drive to seek anyone out for knowledge. In the back of her mind she sometimes wondered what good it would do to learn about Helovia and the Gods because she always suspected that there was the possibility that she would have to leave again just like Isilme.

"Oh, I'm sure all of the gods have secrets that they keep hidden from us." She said when the girl spoke again. "Even the Moon Goddess." In a way Evangeline pitied the child for her obvious worship of the purple goddess. Of all the Gods in Helovia she was the one that seemed to be the most loathed and feared, and it was with good cause. She was a murderess, a manipulator, deceitful, and vengeful. "Everyone keeps secrets, why should the gods be any different?" She was sure that there were things that the Gods knew that they, as mortals, had no business knowing.

"You don't happen to know anything about the gods and why they have chosen to acquire new lands, do you? Miss...?"

"Evangeline. And I only know what I've experienced in the time that I've been here." She answered. "And I can tell you that the gods are not perfect, even your Moon Goddess. They make mistakes just like we do and they have to fix them." She may have lived in the Goddess' land and wore her feather in her mane, but Evangeline was a truthful creature. She would not sugarcoat the Goddess' doings just for a starry eyed child who had far too little experience with the gods. "I don't know why they've chosen to get new land and I don't really care to know. Their business is their business, I just try to live my life in peace."

"."

Evangeline the Pure
In the night there's a fire in my eyes
And this paradise has become a place we've come to cry

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

Chan

erthë

Shifting her weight between the dainty feet the child frowned, disliking what she heard about the gods. Her God.

"I don't have any secrets" she said, the gaze straightforward and innocent as she looked back at Evangeline. "I have boring things and awful things and things I prefer not to talk about, but nothing so bad that I wouldn't stand it if others heard about them."

She couldn't think of anything that would be so horribly bad for others to know that she wouldn't tell if they asked. What did secrets even have to do with history? It wasn't like she was trying to uncover anything bad, she just wanted to know why things were the way they were today.

"Isn't that an awfully dangerous mindset?" she said, as Evangeline continued. "You're living here and now, aren't you? And the gods live here and now, and the things they are doing don't exactly seem peaceful to me. I wonder how long you are going to be left alone if you close your eyes and don't try to see..."

But it wasn't really any of her business how the fire-colored mare chose to live. Mother would say so, and so the child accepted the difference with a shrug even though she didn't agree. In the end she felt only mild disappointment at this serious lack of interest in the world - she had not even truly begun to hope, so the drop from high to low was hardly worth noting.

Still. The way the equine had phrased herself suggested that she wasn't completely ignorant, and anything was better than nothing at this point.  

"What have you experienced?" the girl asked, childish interest bleeding through the premature wisdom at the prospect of getting to hear stories. "Could you tell me, please? I'm Erthë, and I really want to know about the gods and the herds and Helovia and everything!"

Tucking up the wings more properly she stood aside to make room by the wall in case the lady wanted to join her there, the way she smiled both eager and expectant. Maybe it wouldn't be a hopeless task at all, to learn more. The clue might lie in people's personal stories, rather than any collected recollections.

image credit

@Evangeline
@Random Event - GLL