Summer Rain

Ezital Posts: 48
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 4 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Oatmeal :: Two-toed Sloth :: None Veer

EZITAL

wild child

photo EzziHeadshot.png

The unbearable heat of the day had vanished with the sun. There was a slight chill in the air that stung Ezital's nose. It would rain soon, he was nearly certain of it. Now remained the question if he should remain in the relative shelter of the trees, or venture further into the unknown territory before him to find better cover. Rain this time of year usually came in short bursts, but in high volume. He was too skinny to weather the elements without getting shivery and sick. 

He picked his way through the lightly wooded forest, his path faintly illuminated by the stars overhead. The leafy canopy dappled the silvery light and hid the flaws in the ground that would hinder his progress. The winding deer trails could hardly be called paths anyway. He'd found some wider and easier to traverse paths, but he'd strayed away from them as soon as the sun had set. 

A gentle breeze tousled his long mane and the fan of his tail, and he lifted his muzzle to scent the wind. He loved the night. His dark coat was well hidden and the white on his face was easily broken up by the fall of his forelock. The forest came alive with fireflies and all sorts of wildlife. 
Whenever possible he traveled at night and slept during the daylight hours. 

The trees parted around a tiny stream snaking its way through the browned grass. It was little more than a trickle of water, but it was enormously tempting. The whisper of running water overlaid the chirping crickets and cooing owls, like a soothing song.

Ezital paused at the fringes of the tree line, intensely aware of the openness before him and the potentially unfriendly creatures that might lurk on the other side. 

He'd filled out a lot in the last year, even put on some muscle, but his frame was still small and coltish. He would put up a hell of a fight if a predator tried to make a meal of him, but he knew his chances of walking away were quite slim. 

He would just have to be quick, he decided. A few mouthfuls of water to sustain him, then off to find some shelter from the looming storm. It wouldn’t last very long, and the bigger leaves would be covered in plenty of rainwater. 

Darting out of the shadows, he glanced surreptitiously around the clearing before lowering his head to drink. 

A sudden snap of a branch in the bushes before him caused him to freeze and lock his knees. His flight response was screaming at him to run, but his pride tethered him to that stream and arched his slender neck. His ears strained to catch any other sound. The song of the forest fell silent around him.

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

So much had happened in the last couple weeks between the battles of the Gods and the arrival of all the strangers from some foreign land, it seemed as if things would continue to bring chaos to the once peaceful spring weather. Technically it would be the Tallsun season now but to satisfy her mind she would continue to believe it was spring until there was no doubt that the season had changed. This mid season always seemed to fly by too fast to keep up with all the details yet when Frostfall arrived it felt like it lasted an eternity. Shaking the long tassels from her face the pale mason continued along at a reasonable pace in her mission to find someone to help. There had been many new faces so far this year and since there was not all that much to do back home she figured that recruiting would have to entertain her time instead of secluding herself in the Falls.

Breaching the borders of the great unknown the maiden proceeds cautiously knowing all to well of the dangers that resided here. Not every newcomer would be kind and caring like the few she had run into before so it was better to play it safe so she didn't end up dead. It had been a few years since she had arrived here in Helovia but there was still that looming feeling that someone was watching her every movement just waiting for her to let her guard down. A shiver runs down the length of her spine at the thought making her question why she had come out here in the first place. No, there was nothing to worry about. She was just being stupid and reverting to her old habits. Taking a breath and gathering her limited courage she headed deeper into the woods knowing that there was a stream around here somewhere. A drink would help to soothe her anxiety and others would surely need a drink after their long journeys so it was a good place to start. Slipping like a ghost down through the trees it wasn't long before she found what she was looking for as the faint sound of running water touched her ears. Dipping her head down once she had reached the bank she pulled some of the cool liquid into her mouth before glancing over her rather pathetic figure. White tassels adorned her thin frame while a blank canvas created an otherwise very boring creature. The only hints of colour drew across her back and rump as a faint silver dusting mottled her pelt before it faded away just as quickly as it had began. Blue eyes stared back at her before she couldn't bear the sight any longer and turned her head away. There was nothing special about her it was no wonder that everyone tended to steer clear.  

Sighing softly it is only now that she realizes that she is not alone. Sparks flew through her nerves prickling her skin as her gaze fell upon the motionless stallion staring at her from where he stood not to far downstream. Flicking her ears warily she finds herself withdraw a single step before managing to stop herself from running like she always had before. She had come here for a reason so there would be no running away or surrendering to the demons that threatened to pull her back into the shadows.
"Hello, my name is Brisa. Is there uh..anything I can help you with?" She choked out sounding surprisingly calmer than she felt. "Welcome to Helovia."

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Ezital •• NOTES: ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
Picture Credits: Here
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

The gargantuan stallion had been to the Threshold in all sorts of weather and all different times. From rain to sun to snow. From morning, to afternoon, to the wee hours of the morning. Yet, it seemed that newcomers had no specific time or weather in which they preferred to arrive. There was no ‘usual’ when it came to the Threshold.

So the elephant plodded along, adhering to the thinner parts of the forest. His large size often got stuck in the thicker trees. He snorted in amusement at the memory. Tallsun has brought his beloved head. Despite his size, he was a desert-born stallion who enjoyed the warmth— especially the warm breeze gently tickling his coarse coat. But the breeze, although being pleasant, foretold of a storm brewing above him in the dark skies.

At least it wasn’t snow. Truly, the stallion hated cold. His thick, barred hide twitched, ridding himself of evening pests. Ears twitch in the darkness— the storm had blocked out the moon and stars. He heard a stream and a breaking branch. Equines?

Directing his long, sweeping strides towards the sounds, his perked ears caught a feminine voice. He knew that voice well. Smiling, he broke through the trees, expecting to see the lovely grey mare. “Brisa,” his low voice rumbled warmly in greeting. Though his gaze sharpened as he saw that she was about to run.

His eyes, adjusting to the clearing, caught a streak of white and red. Then flashes of green and blue eyes. Slowly, the form of the handsome young colt came into focus. Proud, if young, pale antlers sprouted from his head, dipped in the same blue as his eye. Red markings beneath his eyes and under his belly leapt out against the darkness of the evening. The rest of his dark bay blended into obscurity of night.

Thick, black-tipped ears perk towards the adolescent. “Evening, my good man. I second Brisa’s welcome,” his deep voice rolls across the creek to the newcomer. “I am Tembovu, of the World’s Edge. Who might you be?” He takes a few steps closer to the water’s edge, contemplating taking a drink. Yet both equines before him are strung so taunt that he make his movements easy and calm.
image credits
- table by Niki -

ooc| Hi Veer!! <3 :D Welcome to Helovia! Would you like to be tagged? @Brisa @Ezital

Please tag Tembovu.

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily

VITANI
When we look up at the stars, we see only the memory of light; and though they are distant we know they still shine

Okay so I hadn't followed the Mason here... Well not exactly. It was more like I didn't know the way to the Threshold and I wanted to make myself useful. So I guess you could say I followed her. Sarabi pads along quietly at my side. I cast her a glance for a moment and she looks up at me. I be good. Promise. I nodded. Last thing I needed was her using her hellfire on some poor sap who had just arrived in Helovia or someone that knew nothing of magic. That is unless they try to hurt us. Then well all bets were off. Hell even if someone attacked the mare from my herd i'd probably jump in.

The night of course brought a whole new set of sounds and wildlife to worry about. I let Sarabi think about those while I focused on making sure we got to the Threshold. once there, well I kept following the mare. Not that I wouldn't know my way back cause I so would. But safety was in numbers right? It's only when she stops at a steam that I stop. Sarabi bounds forward, eager to play in the waters. I sigh softly and shake my head. Silly pup. "Dang it Sarabi." I mummer softly before moving forward to join those that had arrived. There was two stallions and the mare from my herd. I move in closer toward the waters, stopping at the edge. "Lovely night for a walk isn't it? I'm Vitani, and that's Sarabi." I motion with my nose to the pup who was bounding up and down the stream. "I hope we aren't interrupting." Meh who cares if I am. I have just as much right to be here as they did. Be good. I jerk my head to look at Sarabi and snort.

"Talk"
Sarabi Talks

EZITAL

wild child

photo EzziHeadshot.png

A silvery shape broke from the shadows further upstream. Ezital's heart jumped frantically in his chest as everything he could recall about wolves raced through his mind. Were wolves the ones you were supposed to avoid eye contact with and remain still? Or was that for cats?

He was still trying to sort through it all when an equine sigh drifted his way on the breeze and something in his belly eased slightly. There was still danger in strange horses, he knew, but at least none of them had tried to eat him yet.

The mare spooked when she finally noticed him, like he might be something to fear. He snorted lightly. Sure, he was scrappy enough to survive a squabble and perhaps do a bit of damage, but he wasn't nearly dumb enough to seek out unnecessary conflict. 

She seemed impossibly tense as she introduced herself to him, though he might've only picked up on it due to his own stress earlier. He couldn't help but think that she seemed far too exotic for such a place as this. Surely she belonged in some winter wonderland, prancing about in the snow?

Perhaps that was why she looked so uncomfortable. Out of her element?

As he opened his mouth to ask, the trees shuddered and expelled a massive expanse of tan and chocolate horseflesh. He shied back a step and his ears fell flat against his skull for a few moments. His mind was having trouble processing the sheer size of the horse before him, however slow and mild he might appear. Ezital was quite certain that he could walk beneath his belly if only he ducked a little.

The huge stallion's voice filled the clearing like a great roll of thunder, but the words were kind and almost seemed as if he found all of their posturing and tension quite ridiculous.

Yet another silhouette slipped into the little clearing and Ezital berated himself for just happening to select the most popular watering hole in all of the forest. He would've been so much better off holding out for puddles of rainwater in the morning. Thankfully, this newcomer was a much more manageable size than the other two. Perhaps even equal to himself, if he arched his neck a bit. But as the horse stepped forward, it became clear that it was only a very young filly, who would likely outgrow him by the end of the season. He felt only a little bitter about that. Seriously, only a bit. 

Somehow, seeing the filly playing with her pup was enough to put him at more ease than he'd been since walking out here. He cocked a hip under the guise of complete comfort with these strangers.

"Not at all," he replied to the filly, Vitani. "I was merely on my way to seek shelter from the rainstorm. Do you think that Tembovu over there would let me use him as an umbrella?"

He boldly met the gaze of the towering stallion. "It's Ezital, by the way."

@Brisa 
@Tembovu 
@Vitani 
Woo thanks for replying! And it's so cool to see my character art in the wild! <3

Awaiting a response to her question the white mare took the time to try and compose herself so not to embarrass herself further. Perhaps this incoming storm had something to do with charging her nerves to maximum sensitivity. Nerves had been a difficult problem to control since before she had come to Helovia all those season's ago. Granted she was still flighty at times but she was a million times better than she had been upon arrival. Smiling at the memory she could remember Destrier and his dragon Suli being one of the first to approach her, or attempt to. Back then she had been afraid of nearly everything that moved due to way too much trauma in her past which had damaged her almost beyond repair. Suli had scared her half to death that day but strangely enough she had agreed to follow him home, some things tend to work out in the oddest ways.

More footsteps catch her attention almost immediately causing her to whip her head to the side looking for the beast that the heavy footsteps belonged to. Calming as the familiar form of Tembovu crashes into the party she took a few steps towards him dipping her head in greeting. Listening as the giant stallion speaks easily overpowering her own voice she flicks her ear to yet another sound. A flash of black drew her eye as a hellhound pup comes barreling into the water followed by a young mare who she assumed was bonded to the pup. Chuckling at the sight of the pup splashing around in the creek she couldn't help be reminded of how the ducklings looked waddling around in the shallow waters. They were lovely little yellow balls of fuzz and feathers at that age and didn't have the slightest concern in the world, how it would be nice to have that innocence again. " You are not interrupting at all." She replied watching the girl with kind eyes.

Ezital, so that was this boy's name, not one she had heard before but it seemed to fit his face well. Chucking at the thought of Tembovu being used as an umbrella she couldn't help but smile. Thankfully this stallion seemed pleasant enough unlike others that she had run into in the past, this she could manage. "I'm not sure that we could all fit under Tembovu he is big but not that big." She joked shooting the giant stallion a playful smirk hoping he didn't mind her poking a little fun at him. "I do know of another place that would provide shelter though if your interested. Both Vitani and I come from a place called the Hidden Falls and we would be more than happy to have you join us. There is plenty of space, an abundance of food and freshwater and the view is quite amazing." Turning her icy gaze back to Ezital she offered a welcoming smile hopeful that he might consider joining them. At least she did not have to up play the details to make the Falls more desirable like some did, all her facts were the truth.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Tembovu , @Ezital , @Vitani •• NOTES: ••

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

The giant lowers his head further to the water, opening his thick lips for a drink as Brisa steps nearer to him. He leans towards her, shoulder brushing hers gently in a friendly response to her greeting. SPLASH.

Ears and head snap to the water as the playful puppy explodes in a splash of water. He smiles at the playful antics, not minding the spray of water that now decorates his face and front legs. He’ll soon be soaked with the warm rain of Tallsun, if the silent heat lightning decorating the sky above them is any indication. He watches the branching streaks of electricity, before returning his muzzle to the trickling water.

He takes a few, sucking sips as Vitani speaks. The rebellion in the little filly’s face contrasts the apology of her words. Tembovu smiles to himself, for it is always entertaining to see adolescents balance into their innate defiance with their need for social interaction. It had been one of his favorite parts of being a general. Raising his head, he nods a greeting to the filly and her hound, a few, crystalline droplets of water falling from his wet lips.

His booming laugh overtakes the clearing as Ezital speaks, joining Brisa’s chuckles. “You are most certainly welcome to try,” his words rumbles with amusement. He opens his mouth to speak again, but the words are drowned out by a deep, boom of thunder as the heavens alight with another, less silent, electric spear.

Warily eyeing the heavens once again, he sighs. “I think we are all doomed to be wet, regardless of our shelter— though I am also happy to offer you residence within my herd of the World’s Edge. It is the furthermost west of Helovia, on white sea cliffs,” as his deep voice stops rolling, a few thick droplets fall onto his broad back. “At least it will be warm rain,” he grins lopsidedly to the antlered colt.

“What brings you to Helovia, Ezital?”
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Ezital @Brisa @Vitani

Please tag Tembovu.

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily

VITANI
When we look up at the stars, we see only the memory of light; and though they are distant we know they still shine

So it seems like we aren't interrupting anything. That's a good start at least. I quietly nod as the mare I had followed said I was okay. That is, until the antlered one, Ezital I think they called him, made me welcome. I smile shyly and laugh as Ezital mentions using Tembovu as an umbrella. "We could certainly try, but I think maybe Sarabi would be the only one to fit." The words had no sooner left my lips than Sarabi padded over to and flopped down under the huge stallion. My green and blue eyes stared at her. Get back over here. I fine. I snort. How dare she embarrass me at a time like this... In front of a cute stallion... Wait, did I just say he was cute? The hell?! Since when do I care what they look like?

I shake my head slightly, all the while Sarabi is laying under Tembovu laughing at me. Such a brat. The adults had kept talking around me, while I was only mildly listening in. My dual colored eyes instead watched the newcomer to Helovia. I wondered what it was like out there. It's only when the conversation turned to talk of herd that I spoke up. "The Hidden Falls is normally warm this time of year too. I should know, I was born there." Damn it I should really think before I speak. Now I really look like I'm a baby when really, I'm more like a teenager of sorts. Thankfully I had caught the mare's name by now and quickly babbled on. "I mean, our home has everything that Brisa says. But it is so much more." There. Spoken as only one who knew all the ins and outs of the herd could.

"Talk"
Sarabi Talks

EZITAL

wild child

photo EzziHeadshot.png

His little joke had gone over better than expected and did wonders for lightening the mood. The filly's little companion even followed through and settled herself under the vast belly of Tembovu. He couldn't help but to laugh at their antics. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a hardship to linger here for a while.

The silver mare offered him shelter in secluded falls, which sounded vastly more appealing to him than the stallion's description of cliffs. He would never admit it to them, but he was quite terrified of heights. He knew he belonged with all four hooves firmly planted on the ground. 

"I don't think the World's Edge would be the right place for me," he told Tembovu, careful to keep his tone slightly apologetic. He didn't want to upset or offend the massive horse, despite his jokes over his height. He wasn't quite sure he wanted to discuss the delicate nature of his previous life, so he merely told the stallion, "I've been wandering for a long time, and eventually my wanderings brought me here. It would be nice to settle down somewhere, even temporarily."

"How far is it to the Falls?" he inquired to Brisa. "Are there many horses there?"

The thought made his heart sink. He was an orphaned colt. He'd had minimal herd interaction in his life and knew little of what would be expected. What if they had an elaborate initiation process that required him to display some useful skill? He might be able to kill something; he'd done it once when a wild dog tried to make him a meal. 

Ezital drew himself to his full height. He wanted this. He wanted to be worthy of joining a herd. Tempering his typical impertinence, he asked, "What sort of expectations are there for aspiring herd members?"

He glanced back at the young filly beside him and felt a flicker of jealousy. If only she knew how lucky she were to grow up with family. It must be second nature for her to live within a herd. He flicked his tail through the water at her playfully, sending tiny water drops in her direction.

"What manner of creature is Sarabi?" I don't believe I've seen her likeness before."

@BRISA
@TEMBOVU
@VITANI
whydon'tmytagswork

Watching the two companions interact with their bonded warmed her heart yet still managed to touch the sadness inside. They were lucky to have been blessed with such treasures to keep them company, to grow up with them, and most of all just be there for each other. To have such a connection to another would likely be.. it would be beyond words. So far all her trials had turned her away from such a chance but she had still been happy to see them go to other homes with someone who would treasure them forever. More laughter ensued as the hellhound actually decided to take Ezital's suggestion to heart and curl up under the giant stallion. Well they could fit but anyone else would be quite the stretch. Flicking an ear to the filly Vitani she was glad she had shared more positive experiences about the Falls to support her initial blurb. Flashing her a reassuring smile she encouraged her to continue what she had been saying. At Vitani's age she wouldn't have been able to speak up in a group or crowd, she had never has such interactions back then. Helovia had been the first real experiences she had had with actually speaking to others that were physical not just of the mind.

Tipping her head to look back to Ezital as his voice entered into the mix once more she was surprised when he turned down Tembovu's offer. Being the gentle giant that he was, surely he would have no problems recruiting many for the Edge. "Yes the Falls has quite a few members already but is still growing. "The Falls is actually located not too far from here. Its to the west but not quite as far as the Edge is. Our borders actually back into the Threshold, which is where we currently are." Motioning in the direction of home she tried to give a relative picture to someone that had never before seen the lands. It was a little longer or an explanation but hopefully it would suffice.

Giving a minute or two for the information to absorb her eyes were drawn back to the two companions. Watching them brought a smile to her face to see just how happy and content they seemed. If only to be that young and so free, it would be a rewarding outcome. As a young girl she had had her freedom but way too much of it to see it as anything more than pieces of her hell. Nothing could have prepared her for something like that. Shifting her weight and once again brushing away the pests she returned to providing the answers that Ezital was looking for. "There are no expectations for those who wish to join us. Once you are settled in and found your way around it is optional if you wished to take up some of the herd duties and responsibilities. There are healers, warriors, spies and crafters as some of the main options but the only thing we would appreciate is your loyalty." She said with a warm smile. When she had first come here she had expected to have to jump through hoops to ever be invited into a herd, but it was a nice surprise to find it wasn't like that here.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Ezital , @Vitani , @Tembovu
•• NOTES: All your tags worked :) sometimes you just need to refresh the page for them to show up. ••

He watches the pup curl beneath his barrel in amusement, a lopsided grin warming his face. Curving his neck to the side and bending his head down, he looks at the adolescent hellhound beneath his stomach, “Comfortable, little one?” His question is rhetorical, for the little Sarabi looked quite comfortable.

His head raises as the young, dark colt states that the Edge is not the place for him. He raises his brows and cannot help the disappointment that courses through him. He understands the premise of it being difficult to even find a soul to recruit in the vastness of the Threshold. And then to have the newcomer choose his own Edge— it was always slim odds. Though, to Tembovu, it was still a loss of providing a home and a future to another. Something he had so desperately needed when he arrived to Helovia.

Finally, tamping down his disappointment, he speaks, “I’m sorry to hear that, Ezital. Though it would be hard to resist Brisa, were I not Glazier of the Edge,” he grins at the mare, “I wish you luck in the Falls,” another grin crosses over his broad face. Then he nods, ear flicking hindwards as another creak of lightning and threatening boom of thunder break the night. The warm, large drops begin to fall faster now.

“Safe travels to the Falls, Brisa. Vitani,” he nods to the mare and filly in turn. Then he quickly steps sideways, a mischievous smile on his broad maw, “It seems you’ve lost your rain shield, Sarabi,” he winks at the pup. And then the Elephant disappears in the darkness of the trees.

image credits
- table by Niki -

@Brisa @Ezital @Vitani

Please tag Tembovu.