the Rift

[OPEN] Hurts Like Heaven

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
Persephone
I moved, eventually. When the crowd started to move I did as well, not wanting to get in the way of any of them when they dispersed. No, I wanted to get in their way - I wanted one or all of them to notice me, to care for me, because now I was lost. I had followed Evaneska into this strange new world and I had no idea what to do next. It wasn’t likely that I could ever go back, there was nothing for me there even if I did. I had ran, and running led me here.

Should I continue to run? This world was beautiful, whatever it was (this ‘Helovia’) but I had seen danger as well. A dangerous world composed of beautiful Gods and terrifying warriors.

Everyone had banded together to battle the creature. Was Helovia filled with mighty warriors? Where would my place be in such a world? All I was good for was praying, and for getting burned. My withers still ached, a good two inches had been burned away from my mane at the base of my neck - some charred remains still clinging there. The skin nearby was exposed, the coat having been singed away, and it was bubbling, red-hot and painful. A constant stream of tears had been falling from my golden eyes since it had happened.

I had never been hurt before. I had lived in peace and luxury - my race away from my burning homeland had been the first time I had undergone anything similar to strenuous activity. And now I had been burned, my flawless body ruined.

In this perpetually flat land, there was no where to go for shelter and I was too distressed to really look. So I just wandered through the shallow waters, my head down and wincing every time my forelegs moved because it pulled on the burn but I didn’t know what else to do besides walk so I just… kept walking. Knowing that eventually, my tears would stop and eventually, my energy would be spent. But those were not yet problems that I needed to face so I ignored them.
lost in hell, my dear. It's not so dreadful here
Image Credit

for @Lothíriel

Lothíriel Posts: 37
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hands :: 4 years of age HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Thingol :: Raven :: None krazie

Fine white sand crumbles beneath cleft hooves; a pale raven flies above in lazy circles, his twin mirrored on the water below. It's hot today, but a gentle breeze blows off the ocean like a benediction, tangling hair and easing spirits. Lothíriel hums as she walks, a lilting maritime hymn her mother taught her as a child; it recalls the splendor of an empire by the sea inhabited by children with proud horns on their brows, ruled by a blue-eyed king. Did they spend endless hours playing in the tides, letting the days pass like the salty west wind beneath seabirds' wings? Lothíriel does not know what her parents were like in their youth, but she imagines a young Deimos chasing gulls; a fledgling Huyana playing in the tides. She wonders if the Moonlit Tides of her parents' childhood resembles this small celestial heaven.

So enthralled in her own fanciful imaginings, Lothíriel almost fails to notice a dawn-kissed stranger wandering through the shallow water. The mare is made after her own image: delicately built, with topaz eyes and a flower crown. An uncertain frown pulls at the nymph's lips when she notices the angry blistered skin and singed hair marring an otherwise beautiful hide. Her own burn, only recently healed, aches in solidarity, an ugly reminder of a foreign god's wrath. The queen of flowers cannot let a sister in arms suffer like this—how unbecoming that would be!

"You need a healer," she says, slowly approaching the aurora-mare, the soft white sand clinging to her dark legs. Lilac eyes regard her softly, an (thoroughly uncharacteristic) expression of beatified concern playing on refined features. Lothíriel rarely plays the part of the Savior, but something about this exquisitely wounded girl calls to her, like a wilted flower in need of a little care; Huyana would be so proud of her altruistic daughter. Careful to give the girl space, the sterling mare pauses expectantly just short of the water's lip; she may be a saint today, but she certainly isn't stupid.

how the rose in your heart you hold
still all the water in your wells won't make it grow

[omg so sorry for the wait. school was really killing me for a bit! D:]

@Persephone

Outcast
Persephone
For a moment, I’m so surprised by her presence that I stop crying. She’s beautiful. Beautiful enough to distract me so that I can actually hear her words and understand what they mean. The accents here are strange, I hadn’t paused to listen to any save the Sun God when he had spoken to me before the fight had broken out, but not strange enough to cause confusion. This violet mare, everything about her a soft shade that gives me comfort - I find that I am most at home around other beautiful things and I have not yet had to learn why that might be wrong.

I’ve not only stopped crying but I’ve stopped moving as well, my head held lower than usual as I watch her. I might have wandered forever, until I passed out from exhaustion or the pain, had she not arrived. A gift from the gods? I wonder, but that thought is chased by memories of fire and fighting and I begin to tremble again.

She is twilight and she has brought me hope on soft spoken words so I try to focus on those. When I find my voice, it is weak and pathetic but soft too. I have the voice of someone that has never screamed or yelled. I’ve never had to. It has only been recently that fear has been injected into my life. “Are there healers here? I thought this place was beautiful but… but…” My sobs break out again, I’m crying for the pain but mostly for the scars that are going to follow me forever. Ruining my perfect back - the little flowers in my tail are even a little singed and I know I’ll have to get rid of them soon. I’m going to be ugly before my time, a wretched little burnt up thing.  
Image Credit

no worries about the wait! Sorry school is being a pain <33
@Lothíriel
[Image: 5626e4bc4fe1a]
pixel by Kiara <3

Please tag Persephone in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Persephone always goes by the alias "Cora."

Want to plot with Persephone? Visit her plot page here!

Lothíriel Posts: 37
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hands :: 4 years of age HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Thingol :: Raven :: None krazie

The aurora-girl has stopped crying, something Lothíriel notes with grim satisfaction. Having been raised in a fairly sheltered manner, tears—and their dealings—have always been an unfamiliar territory for her, a source of discomfort, and she's grateful that they will no longer be her problem. A soft smile, half rehearsed and a little contrived, pulls on the corners of her lips like a peace offering as other maiden pauses before. Wide gilt eyes watch her for a little while, and then she starts quivering in a manner which recalls the first trembling steps of a newborn fawn. Vaguely, the roan mare wonders what happened to cause such obvious trauma and vulnerability in this dawn nymph. She speaks in a delicate way, like every word could be broken in an instant, smashed like brittle bones and glass—

—and then the eyes brim with tears again—

—and then she starts to cry again.

Never has the Reaper's daughter been at such a graceless loss of words, but today she is absolutely speechless. Please don't cry, Lothíriel wants to tell the girl, but the words fall uselessly flat on her tongue—a clumsy moment passes on lumbering legs before Lothíriel can compose herself. "Yes," she says instead, speaking quietly and quickly, "in fact, I can bring you to the ones who dwell in my home." Her violet gaze passes over the mare's marred skin and singed hairs, lingering on the ruined silk flowers tangled in the purple strands of her tail. She feels a sudden pang of pity for this girl, who is surely radiant beneath the wounds and burns; what a shame it would be if this beauty remained spoiled forever. Lothíriel sets her mind to provide this foreigner a home (after all, did she not mention being unfamiliar with this land?), and the discomfort changes to resolution. If Mother is not here to be proud of her altruism, then Father surely will be, a thought which brightens her mood considerably.

As if an afterthought, Lothíriel inclines her head to the sand, where flowers of varying colors and sizes lurk between her cloven hooves. She picks several: a red amaryllis, two pink azaleas, and a dark purple dahlia. Holding the stems between her teeth, the lady of blossoms offers them (a little sheepishly) to the other girl, hoping she can at least temporarily replace the spoiled ones in her tail.

how the rose in your heart you hold
still all the water in your wells won't make it grow

@Persephone

Outcast
Persephone
In our short interaction, I’ve warmed to this mare. Her smile seems perfect to me, warm and comforting. Reality may be different but my reality was often different than others - I had grown up sheltered. I had not so much as scraped a knee before I had fled from my home. And… and now! I almost miss her offer of a home, of healers, through my sobbing but I catch it and hold tight to it. A nod is all I can manage in response though because my breath has gotten away from me - escaping from my lungs in panicky gasps as I try to get it under control.

I might have never stopped crying if she hadn’t moved toward me, replacing the charred flowers in my tail with beautiful ones that had been growing by her feet. I turn my head to follow her movements, forgetting to cry as I watch her.

A simple act but it meant so much to me. “Thank you.” The two words, fragile as they were in my broken voice, are filled with such emotion - I am truly and utterly thankful for this mare and the kindness that she has shown me. It has been the first since I arrived here and I wonder if there is anyone else like her here. The fact that I have been sobbing in this land ever since it was cleansed by the fire god and that is why I have not yet found another kind soul is not a thought that goes through my mind. I’m too busy silently praising her, thanking the gods that they had sent her here for me. My angel.

I finally manage to catch my breath - and it starts to become more regular instead of the terrible halting breaths of a moment ago. A shy smile appears in my golden eyes as I look away from the flowers and back toward her, hope already taking such firm hold of me that I am already doomed. “My name is Cora.” I offer, my voice still shaky but stronger now - pulling strength from the ridiculous belief that somehow the new flowers had improve my beauty to its natural state.

And I hope that this mare's home, where there are healers that can help me, is as beautiful and kind as she is.
Image Credit

@Lothíriel
[Image: 5626e4bc4fe1a]
pixel by Kiara <3

Please tag Persephone in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Persephone always goes by the alias "Cora."

Want to plot with Persephone? Visit her plot page here!