the Rift

Between Something And Nothing
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
Nothing meant anything, and anything was nothing; the anxiety in his heart had sunk its teeth deep into him, and refused to let go. It's probably nothing he tried to tell himself, but it was with the frantic edge of a deer trying to promise itself the wolf wasn't going to kill it. Still, his nostrils widened slowly, his breathing deep and even. It didn't have to mean anything at all, but it had been too easy—it felt like he had showed up, like some lost king from an old story, and she'd simply fallen into his arms. What about him had evoked it in her? His words of the Edge, the allure of such a dangerous, fantastic place as the World's Edge? It felt like she had seen him and chosen him, not his home, not Eden or her home, but him.

It was an uncomfortable thought, and the one thing he tried to drown that always came back with enough force to shatter ice; the ocean of his soul heaved beneath blocks of it coming apart. Tethers broke and the storm reigned.

And still he simply breathed, eyes gentle, black-rimmed ears politely following the flow of the conversation—though it had become rather one-sided now, as Calista made her choice. The usual slow, seeping warmth of success was drowned in the dark torrents of fear—because that was what it was. Fear, no more, no less.

He had always been like that, but after Lotus.. well. He chose not to think about that.

"I am sure they will be," he answered calmly, steadfast as the mountains despite the quaking of his soul as he wondered what unnamed skills she spoke of. In that moment, in that terrified heartbeat, he did not want to know.

Fortunately, she spoke no more of it, turning instead to the other mare. Mauja's eyes followed her focus, roving across her pale body, from the tip of her gilt horn down her pregnant sides to her thick, lush tail. And in his shaken heart, he hoped she was pregnant by her own choice and will, and not the wicked twists of fate that had given him his only son.

He had been here before, many times—knew the bonds formed here. He had seen it happen, the newcomer's desire to be everybody's friend yet having to pick a side. Only once that he actually knew of had someone retained a deep bond with one of the first to greet him, and that was Tembovu, with the lovely lady Rexanna. He hadn't asked any others about it, so he didn't know how likely it was, but with the sunlight casting such a gentle glow in Calista's eyes he hoped she and Eden would meet again, and be friends.

"Safe travels, Eden," he said, voice light and sincere. And that was that—the dice had been cast, and the future was as uncertain as it had always been. Nothing had changed, except that everything had, and he turned to Calista. "I think you will find the atmosphere inspiring for growth," because what else could he say to assure her? "So I doubt you will have to worry about being a burden. Come, then, friend. This way," and with a lost nod to Eden he turned west, and began to lead her the long way home through the morning light, heart still frigid with fear.

[ Sorry for skipping @Eden but I figured it was best to tie this up <3 I'll get a new thread up for us in the Edge soon @Calista ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Messages In This Thread
Between Something And Nothing - by Calista - 10-12-2015, 11:57 AM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Eden - 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Calista - 10-13-2015, 07:46 PM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Eden - 10-13-2015, 09:21 PM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Calista - 10-14-2015, 11:56 AM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Mauja - 10-14-2015, 02:44 PM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Eden - 10-16-2015, 12:21 AM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Calista - 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
RE: Between Something And Nothing - by Mauja - 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM