the Rift

Scree[ms] In the Darkness ((OPEN))

Scree Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The thud of the mare's hooves on the ground resounded in the night. The sound echoed in her ear, as surely as the thunder cracked in the night. The rain would be upon them soon, the lightning cracking across the sky as the rain, in torrential downpours, dropped to the ground. She glanced up and through her ebony mane in anger, skidding to a stop in the mud and grass.

The land was devoid of life at this time of night, of horse life anyway and she was not upset with this. The croaks of frogs and the chirps of crickets were enough noise for her to not feel too lonely in the night. She shook her mane again, the dark strands landing haphazardly on her raven coat. She inhaled the smell of the impending storm and she drank in the heady smell. How she loved the rain!

Past the smell of the rain was the underlying scent of horses, undeniable against the smell of wet and grass and mud. She could not pick out individual scents, they blended together: young and old, mare and stallion, all alike. She wrinkled her muzzle. She had not trusted a horse since Hawk had betrayed her. Sadness stabbed her heart as she thought of her lost child once more.

It was time to begin anew.

Too long she had been alone, and though she could not trust them, she longed for others. A companion to speak with, perhaps it was time to take another lover. She could never give her heart again, but perhaps it was possible to begin a family still. She was past her youthful, wild days, her wild oats had been sown.

Those were fanciful thoughts.

It was far easier to keep everyone at bay. She resented the weakness that had driven her to seek out companions. She would not actively seek a herd, instead she would let them come to her. Nor would she grovel to the herd member that came to ask her to join the herd. She would not petition or beg. She had nothing to bring to a tribe but her years of experience and her wandering ways. She was not a likeable mare, but she could hide that for awhile, at least long enough to convince another.

With that, she dropped her muzzle to the grass and began to graze. She would wait.

October Posts: 40
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hh :: 6.5 years
Blu

"Wake up little one!"

Luminecent orange eyes peered into a muddy corpse of a half eaten rabbit. She felt the familiar pull on her body, the magic. A gleeful purr escaped her jaws when the corpse slowly pulled itself into a hunched over position. A new friend! She dropped her muzzle and lovingly brushed it against the musty smelling undead rabbit. "I wonder how you taste, little rabbit." Her jack 'o' lantern lips lifted to a pleased smile, bidding the rabbit to take a leap forward. She leaped after with a kick of her heels, the wench so pleased in the new game her toy was being forced to play. "Come back, I'll only take a few bites! Oh - excuse me," October stopped her taunts as she came across a lone mare. The dead rabbit stopped by their feet and suddenly dropped back to a lifeless form. The jagged lipped wench gave a sad sigh before her face perked up and looked at the mare, "Would you like to try her? I'm done playing with her body." Her hooves danced playfully and her heartbeat thrummed like a snare drum. New horses made her nervous and oh so excited! She yelped and spun on her haunches before kicking up her heels in a small eccentric buck. She meant no harm, she never meant harm. But there were so many dead things and she had to practice ..

"I am October." And with her name spoken, she gave a grin. Too bad every grin looked devilish upon her maw. Everything looked better with a sinister edge though, she thought .

Ooc: Sorry, she is kinda crazy awesome like that :P thought I would try writing as her for the first time!

- - I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad - -
OCTOBER

The dreams in which I'm dying.
Are the best I've ever had

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Unregistered
The scent of death permeated the air and the mare lifted her muzzle to take in a most odd sight. A mare, her coat a dull black and her tail, varying shades of black and grey, bounded behind a...rabbit? The mare's orbs widened. This was no ordinary rabbit. The smell of rot and death was apparent and nausea whirled in her stomach as the mare with her dead or undeaded, whichever it may be, companion approached her. She took a few, uncertain steps back. Uncertainty rarely played a role in her character, but at this scene, it undeniably did. Almost as surely as the rank of death rolled off the rabbit, craziness was exuded from the mare.

As the mare halted before her, she watched in captivated horror as the dead creature dropped, lifeless once more, to the ground, it's odor growing more fearsome. Death made her uncomfortable and this was something she could not control. She had not seen much of it, not enough to be hardened to it. The situation at hand demanded precision. This mare was mad, and she had no desire to incite her to fury.

"I am known as Scree," the mare replied to the introduction that was given to her, drawing her eyes away from the dead rabbit and placing them instead on the scrawny mare before her. Other than her apparent insanity, she held no surprises. She was an average mare, of average height and of average coloration (disregarding a few oddities). However, in many ways, years of travel had taught her suspicion and she would not just yet let her guard down. Though the mare hardly seemed a threat, it was the personality of a beast that often posed the biggest threat.

Deceased
Blu

October watched as the mare stepped uncertainly backwards. Did she not find her rabbit amusing, was she not partial to the dead? October cast her haunted look on the fallen rabbit, her toy gone limp.
Her toys always eventually fell back to death. Her power was great, but the price... The wench was saving that for a rainy day. "Scree - Such a strange name." She did not fancy her new friends name. Her skin began to crawl, imaginary bugs biting and itching at her hide. Her tail flicked in an annoyed fashion, her eyes narrowing to look at the mare - Scree. But the annoyance vanished as she pushed it out of her mind. That would not do here, the wraith thought with glee. She must be good. No marring the newcomer with scars. She might mess up her plans.

"What brings you to Helovia, Scree?", October tilted her head as a curious dog might do. All the while, her haphazard brain turning and spinning information. She glanced down at her fallen bunny, willing it to lift once more. How dare it side with her, she was the master here! She willed it to crawl (or drag, what ever suits your fancy) back to October's side. It was her toy. The mare didn't want to share anymore.

OCTOBER

Unregistered
Her initial judgement of the mare seemed to be proven with each breath the stranger took. October, she turned the name over her in her mind, assigning it to the mare before her. Her eyes narrowed. Perhaps this mare could be useful, but she had no desire to grow close to her. She did not trust her, and that distrust was multiplying with each moment. Once more the rabbit's stench forced bile to raise in her throat and she stuffed it back down. The reanimation of the dead was against all the laws of nature that Scree knew. It was wrong. The dead were meant to stay that way.

"My name is hardly any stranger than yours," Scree responded, her eyes narrowing. Interactions with horses had been kept to a minimum, and she did not care for this mare's personality. She felt a keen desire to leave the mare's presence, but remained nonetheless.

"My past," she responded simply to the mare's inquiry, "and loneliness. It has been a long time since I have lived among my own time. Perhaps it is time to give up my wandering ways." Her own secret desire to have puppets to control and manipulate, she kept hidden. This mare would know much about puppets, Scree thought with horror as she watched the dead corpse limp to the side of it's controller. Once more the urge to vomit coiled in her throat and she swallowed it back. This mare controlled forces beyond the norm and Scree felt uncomfortable in her presence.

Deceased
Blu

Did a wolf's prey know they would be killed seconds before the lunge? Could they feel the predators hot breath on their back. At times, October felt like the prey ... But today she was a hunter. No, she corrected in her mind, a scout. Waiting and watching. Here to offer advice to all the wretched souls that wander into Helovia. She cackled softly, her jigsaw lips parting once more, "My mothers name was Scream. Your name is missing the ending letters." She stepped over her minion(you can hardly call a rabbit a minion...), moving to Scree's left. The wraith dropped her head to snatch a blade of dying grass, "Your name is incomplete. Tell me," she brought her orange eyes to the other mares face, "Is it the same with your soul?"

October snapped her head up and danced a little farther away, pleased with her question and herself. It was not every day that she had such a fun conversation with living things! She found the living such a droll. Now the dead - they knew how to have a party. The mare, Scree, her reaction to the dead rabbit was not missed. The slight recoil, the slight horror. What had the necromancer mare done? Ah - she thought - Scree was not too fond of her dead toy. The dead were her puppets, her toys. Every child had their favorite toy, October just tended to favor the dead.
"Welcome to the land of Helovia then stranger. Land of Gods and Magic." , Octobers voice boomed forth, she was just here to be helpful! "My magic, is of the dead. I can reanimate anything for a short time.. So careful if you die, luv. You don't know who might get ahold of you!" The dingy black mare gave a squeal and danced a little farther away, her short breath turning into an airy laugh. Oh what fun she was having! It seemed the mad hatter had lost her hat.

OCTOBER

Unregistered
Wrongness hung in the air and was smothering her. Accustomed to being in control, the mare was on edge and completely uneasy. It was not, she felt, in her benefit to remain here, but at the same time she was unwilling to merely leave. October was insane, her next words emphasizing this fully. Scree's brow furrowed, what purpose did her questions serve? Was it a question even intended to be answered?

"Not as far as I know," the mare replied, coldly, almost indulgently, as though she were dealing with a child. October's disturbing orange eyes penetrated her and she shuddered, perhaps even in her soul she shuddered. This mare, this creature before her was not to be messed with. It was time, Scree decided, to take the lead in this dance.

"I do not intend on dying any time soon," the mare growled, uncertain as to whether the mare was making a threat, or merely behaving in the way that she behaved: that being insanely. Death did not scare her, but the concept of having her body behaving as a puppet to this mare sickened her to the core of her stomach, "the dead are meant to stay that way." Her voice could not cloak the disgust she felt for the mare's disregard to the proper way to handle bodies. Though it was a mere rabbit, October had already indicated that she would not hesitate to resurrect a fellow horse. The thought twisted her innards.

Deceased
Blu

"Though resurrecting a body requires a soul, much harder to come by these days."She thought fondly of her child, Xenos yaro, the stallion she resurrected a while back. But that was not the case in these days, it would take her life to do so now. But she was saving that for Oblivion. But this mare knew not of her father and her plans. For now, this was her game. "I stole a soul last time," She gave an air filled sigh, circling around the back of Scree, more wandering than anything else, "Of course you wont be deary, no one ever intends on eating a mouthful of poison." She chirped happily, nodding at her logic.

But Scree's next words were not welcomed to the necromancers ears. Her triangular eyes narrowed as lithe ears slowly pinned back to her neck, "If you are not dead, how do you know such?" The words dripped with a new venom. Her jagged lips lifted into a sneer before stopping her crawl around Scree. This mare knew nothing of the after life, that much was apparent. She looked down to her partway forgotten toy, relieved that it kept it's shape in the commotion. "Little rabbit, go say hi to your new friend.", she snapped her gaze back to Scree, face blank but eyes cloaked with a smug expression. Amusement to be more precise. The rabbit slowly turned its sightless and skinless face to Scree, moving towards her hooves in a slow procession. Go on little rabbit, make a new friend.

OCTOBER

Unregistered
"I know nothing of such things," the mare responded warily. She had no business meddling with such things. Souls were a part of a world she did not understand and one that she had no interest in attempting to understand, "I was unaware a soul could be stolen." She turned looked away from the insane mare, no longer comfortable looking upon the eerie, orange orbs in the dull pelted face. To her shock, when she returned to attention, the mare was behind her, the shifting positions causing her to step forward uneasily.

"That is debatable," the mare retorted, "on occasion one intends on entering into the realm of death. I have entertained the idea once or twice." After the death of her unborn child and Hawk's betrayal she had deliberated throwing herself off a cliff or eating some sort of poison.

"Are you dead?" the mare responded, "by your logic, you cannot know that they should be living." Her eyes narrowed as the mare crossed the threshold from playfully insane to angry. Perhaps violence was on the horizon, not something that Scree fled from. She was tempted to lash out, the mare's behavior inciting her to both fury and fear. "Death is natural, that is an aberration," she asserted, flicking her ears at the rabbit that was creepily make it's way toward her upon the order of the death magic-wielding October.

Scree reared, her hooves thudding to the ground next to the rabbit as the wind picked up, blowing into her face, once more, the smell of rain. She ignored the rabbit, resisting the urge to aim a kick it's way and get rid of it once and for all, "recall your 'pet'," the mare demanded, her voice raising above the howling wind, "immediately."

Deceased
Blu

A high pitched giggle persisted out of Octobers lips. Was all this too much for the closed minded mare? Death was something that intrigued the necromancer to the highest degree. But the mare did speak the truth. October was not dead, she knew just about as much as Scree about what should happen to the dead. But that did nothing to stop her toying. Their souls had passed, why would they need the bodies they left behind?
"You don't like him, hm?" She watched Scree's reaction, enjoying the torment she was putting on the mare. She was born to meddle, to create conflict. Scree's stomp sent the rabbit flat on its stomach, stunning the small body for but a second. "Should I call something ... Bigger?", the question was part way for herself, partway for Scree. But this rabbit, the simple little toy, was causing too much chaos to give up now. She willed it to rise once more, raising her brow at the command Scree screamed.

"Now now deary, no need to yell... You might wake up the monsters in these lands." Now that was a threat. But fighting was not on her mind today, she felt no need nor want. Her lips twisted into a jagged smile, the rabbit taking one step and dropping next to Scree for a final time. "You can't kill what is already dead."

A loud crack of thunder resounded over the mares, lightning lighting up the frostfall sky. October lifted her head to welcome the coming storm, insanity filled eyes watching the show above. The rain, it would come. She would welcome the rain on her bony body. "You fear what you don't know or care to understand. It makes you incomplete." Her words were low, thought out for the necromancer. Uncharacteristic for her psychotic nature. Had she been playing crazy the whole time?
"Maybe you'll be struck by a bolt of lightning and become whole. One could hope." Or maybe not..

OCTOBER

Unregistered
The giggle pierced her ears as the lightning and thunder cracked in the sky. The first drops of downpour splattered against her black coat and she raised her eyes to the sky. The rabbit, half devoured and half rotted, had fallen again and lay limp. The crazy mare that controlled it, it seemed had let it lay this time. Scree watched her warily. Insanity was as dangerous as anything else and if she took her eyes off the mare, she feared that she would be attacked. Scree was not trusting, and she was cautious around horses she feared would be sent of the deep edge, as this mare appeared to be.

"There is no need," Scree responded, horror leaking into her voice, "you cross many lines mare, this is not something to be played with. Death is permanent, holds a permanence that nothing else does. That is the way of the world." Her voice was softer now. She had not lost anything but her half formed child, and she knew that it would have sickened her to see even that dead thing walking and animated by some black magic.

Monsters, she was facing one and she was afraid. Fear, an emotion that had not gripped her since her youth. She struggled with it, seeking to cast it off. Finally, her internal struggle forgotten, she straightened and looked the mare in the eye, meeting those curious orange, triangular things with her own chocolate orbs.

"I fear that which is unnatural, incomplete that may make me, but if so I prefer to remain incomplete. I do not understand your magic, mare, and I do not care to. Now, if you are quite done with your...pet," the mare paused and continued on, "perhaps we can be civil with each other?" It was a desperate hope, but Scree was tired of playing the frightened filly. She had a mission to accomplish, and this mare was not helping.