the Rift

[PRIVATE] In You, I See What I Used to Be

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

THIS IS A PLACE WHERE I DON'T FEEL ALONE - THIS IS A PLACE WHERE I FEEL AT HOME

Alice's nose was as accurate as ever, even with the snow that dampened scents and cloaked tracks in new layers. Hotaru ambled naturally after her, deceivingly frail and delicate beneath the unnaturally warm rays that flushed across her skin. It was an odd contrast, her ankles still deep in the freezing powder as she paced along the edges of the available caverns. Mirabella...the child was not hers, though it seemed Hotaru was prone to adopting any wandering babe that moved across her path. Did she see herself in them? Lost, without a friend in the world, cast aside by all those they'd sought to impress and prove themselves to? Or was she projecting her own convoluted past onto them where it was undue? 

Still, it seemed fillies were drawn to her, brought out from the very woodwork without her so much as asking. What did they see in her? Her magnificence was hard won, underhanded though many of her accomplishments had been. Still, how was that any measure of personal worth? The Lady snorted softly. As if she believed any part of her still remained from her original self. She was a construct, a doll with a thousand layers that Hotaru painstakingly pasted on to keep the shawl of mystery firmly around her. Did they sense how far she'd come, then? The empire she'd made out of the nothingness that they had in that moment?

She'd teach them the ways of ruling. 

Alice growled happily in agreement, hell-black eyes blinking up at Hotaru as they fell into sync. Alpha, she preened, and Hotaru grinned, flash-burn bright and quick. Now wasn't that a beautiful term? Far better than Lady. Alice's mouth parted into a toothy grin, pleased to have impressed her sister, and turned back to the hunt at hand. Not a hunt, Hotaru reminded her idly, eyes traversing the towering mountains at her side. Alice only huffed, paws a muted crunch in the snow as she took the lead once more.

It didn't take long, Mirabella's cavern filled with her scent after moons of residency. Alice barked softly, pulling at Hotaru's mind in a childish move that prompted a sensation that felt almost physical. Rolling her eyes at her hellhound's impatience, she shuffled forward, a smile creasing her mouth to see Mirabella standing attentively before her. The formality of her words...well, Hotaru knew she could not ask for much more, not when there was still so much to know about the child. 

"Mirabella," she greeted coyly in response, coming to a dainty halt, tail elegantly wrapping around her hind ankle. Alice sat obediently at her left foreleg, waiting for the formality to pass so she may sneak out and hunt, or otherwise leave the females in peace. Hotaru tilted her crowned head, observing the youth, contemplating once more the path she'd already dedicated herself to walking. 

"You did well out there," she began softly, bihued eyes never wavering. Intense, focused. All pretenses of delicate femininity shattered in the face of her seriousness. A revelation of the proud, cunning creature she was. "Never stop fighting for what you think is right. Take everything you think should be yours, physical or otherwise. I'm proud of you, Mirabella." As if it would mean anything to the child, she thought to herself. Was Hotaru even worth the adoration her daughters paid her? 

Pretty face softened into a smile, almost motherly if she dared to allow herself to think it. "For a long time, I didn't know what I was meant to be." Dark forests and looming shadows that she'd cowered beneath and lived within for so many seasons. A pedestal she'd never thought she'd be able to reach, and look how far she'd come. Worthy, Alice hissed at her side, though her stance never shifted. Hotaru felt a bloom of appreciation and bride stick to her ribs like twining flowers, and felt a pulse of affection from Alice in return. "My mother had achieved so much, I felt undeserving of her blood." Ironic, since she was a pegasus, and Hotaru led the Aurora Basin. "My twin sister was beautiful and proud, and I was left to slink along in the shadows of their greatness, hating how weak I felt." Pale jaw twitched to remember. She'd sworn to never be that weak, never again.

"So one day, I left. I ran, and I never looked back. I was still scared, and one day I made the first real decision that changed my life." A foxy smile slid across her mouth, eyes glinting and shimmering with old success that still heated her blood with remembrance. "There was an older filly, an outcast. She had a golden chain twined into her mane with an amber jewel at the base. There was no logical reason to want it, it was a useless trinket, but..." dainty shoulder shrugged smoothly, head tilted and mouth grinning slyly. 

"Like I said. Take whatever it is you desire, and let nobody stop you. So I did." Icy tail flicked forward, catching the sunlight from behind her. She'd never stopped wearing it, a token of her past and the moment her life had started to change for the better. "It changed my life. I didn't feel weak anymore, I felt unstoppable." Alice was almost vibrating with primordial desire and echoing pride, no matter how many years had passed since the event. Hotaru turned to catch Mirabella's eyes purposefully, face sobering.

"You stood up to the Goddess, Mirabella. That is no small thing." Especially for her age, Hotaru thought to herself. "I want you to have this," she clarified, tail giving another flick to draw attention to the trinket. Turned and yanked it free, a few glimmering silver hairs going with it as she turned, hoping to place the hooked end in Mirabella's mane. "So that you can always remember to be strong." And she stepped back with a smile, quietly afraid in her heart of hearts that the child would reject her token and the importance it held to her. 

[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
In You, I See What I Used to Be - by Hotaru - 10-18-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: In You, I See What I Used to Be - by Hotaru - 11-12-2015, 12:24 AM
RE: In You, I See What I Used to Be - by Hotaru - 11-22-2015, 03:43 AM