the Rift

[OPEN] Shall We Begin?

Calista Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Tiny daisies littered the carpet of vibrantly verdant grass while sun-ray warmth bathed over the unicorn like whispers of sweet kisses caressed upon tender cheeks. The light beat down as mid noon, the hottest part of the day, crept upon the realm. The day was no different than every other day Calista had experienced recently. She was sure her back had suffered some singeing. Eventually the lush green lands would fade to brilliant reds, golds, oranges, and yellows. Frustratingly enough, at the present Tallsun was taking its sweet time. Yet another burning sensation raced down her back sending an unpleasant sting. Calista would shake it off nostalgically, determined not to let a bother or disdain tarnish her morning stroll. A few days had since passed since she had wandered upon Helovia and joined the World's Edge, which enabled her to seek shelter and given her the opportunity to prosper as a member of the herd. Still, her newfound responsibility seemed to lead towards distress and tension. It was these feelings and emotions she would try to evade for many moons to come. Crashing waves echoed within dusky ears which swiveled with curiosity to follow. “I mustn't have trodden this far before.” a humble sigh slipped so languidly from pale lips as she muttered to herself, lucid curl curved a homely smile, sapphire-painted eyes scoped the coastline with childish curiosity. Her thick forelock danced lazily in the gentle wind, draped around a long spiral horn and tumbling down the length of her face, occasionally brushing into her eyes. Her sides, which rose and fell steadily, colored a virgin white, like an unpainted canvas. Debris could be found sparsely throughout the threads and on various places of her abnormally long tresses. 

Soon enough the beginnings of the forest were visible up ahead, and beyond that, the cliffside, the cool shade cast by thickening trees welcoming her. The young mare had been out in the early morning-dawn feeding her hungering curiosity to explore more of the World's Edge territory. This also had fed her knowledge of the plant life that flourished here. Some of which she had never been exposed to as a child. Or, perhaps it was because some were native to the region. Her long, sable tail swayed from side to side, dancing with the whimsy breeze. Invisible fingers combed through and tugged at her delicate ivory hairs in a playful beckon, almost like a child yearning for their mother's attention. The slapping of water against rock roared in such ferocity yet offered a sound of rhythmic tranquility. Delicate hooves picked their way through the thick foliage as she neared the shoreline of the ocean. Calista's shoulders rolled, following elated sigh. “I'm finally home...” accented tune slipped from her vocals in delighted, captivated awe. She stood on her own, quietly amongst herself as she took in the surrounding area. She was still getting accustomed to the unfamiliar territory, and could not help but feel satisfied with her choice. Calista had already fallen in love with the scenery. However there was always a little thought of doubt about this place dwindling at the back of her cranium, considering the fact that she still felt like an outsider. She didn't know its history, or the customs of its people. She wondered if everyone else was born here or if there were any other new faces, such as herself? The whole concept of being part of a herd was not something she had experienced in some time, so it was taking some time to adjust.

(ooc: I'd really like her to get to know some fellow Edge members, if anyone's interested.)

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
The giant stood at the cliffs, slowly and gently allowing Tallsun’s warmth to awake his sleep soaked brain. He was at ease, enjoying the gentle buffet of balmy breezes along his silver buckskin hide. His coat had been bleached by the long days of sun, and was back its more silver color— it got remarkably golden during Frostfall.

A thick, black rimmed ear flicks sideways, and half-mast eyes open slightly. A playful zephyr carries the noise of hooves in his large funnels of noise. A gentle sigh escapes him, for he had been enjoying his lazy morning. Though the brief bout of regret promptly flees him as he slowly swivels his head and alights his azure gaze on the source of the noise.

An unknown unicorn mare of athletic and graceful build weaves a path along the cliffs. She pauses, also entranced by the rhythm of the sea and teased by the warm breezes. The elephant takes a moment to study the mare as the cobwebs slowly clear from his sleepy mind. Her pristine white starkly contrasts the onyx of her face and tail. A hint of pink skin shone through the coat on her back— an unfortunate consequence of a pale coat.

He whickered a low greeting to the mare, “There’s nothing like a warm morning on the cliffs.” His deep voice was throaty from sleep, “I am Tembovu.I haven’t seen you in the herdlands.”

@Calista

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

A deep slumber did not take over the woman's mind. She brought herself to a state of meditation. Her thoughts were clouded on the subject of the Edge, making her appear lost in her thoughts. Just as she began to unravel questions that buzzed in her mind, a voice brought her back to the reality of the world. 

Her watery orbs blinked and slowly gazed up to find a strangely marked buckskin standing to her right. At first the mare appeared confused to see him there, she began to wonder who this was and slowly rose her gaze from the horizon. Her eyes glistened in the sunlight as she stared at the brute. 

Calista was surprised by his massive size; he towered over her petite fortress. He had seemingly appeared out of nowhere. This did not bother Calista, however, because she was always open to making new friends. She suspected he was a fellow member of the Edge that she hadn't stumbled upon yet. "No, there is certainly not anything comparable." the woman murmured. She glanced back across the water and her eyes were cheerful and spry. How captivating the ocean is, she thought. It was the great unknown that fascinated her so. The unfathomable deep... dark and dangerous, forboding and unconquerable. On the surface the sea was beautiful and even graceful, but beneath its facade contained immense mystery.

"Call me Calista. I'm new to the Edge. Do you come here often?" Raising her head, the lady's cyan vision quickly flickered across his features again, evaluating him. Like all of the horses she had met here thus far, he was quite striking, and unusual in his appearance. She was glad of his company. He too looked to be keen on the salty waves below. 

"Talk?"

"It's my life, it's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever, I just wanna live while I'm alive."

image credits

@Tembovu

Tembovu
He nods in understanding as the pale woman explains her newness to the Edge. “Who, and what, brought you to us at the Edge?” His voice rumbles in curiosity. He had done much recruiting at the Threshold, and was glad to see that other herd mates were doing so as well. A sigh escapes him has a particularly playful gust whips its warm air around his thick columns of legs, tangling in his coarse strands of tail.

His attention returns to Calista as she questions him. Turning his deep blue gaze to meet her lighter one, he cocks his head at her question. “You mean to the cliffs? In Tallsun, yes. They become too cold for my liking by Frostfall,” his low words roll, “I prefer warm sun to chilly weather,” he explains on a lopsided grin.

His eyes release hers as they sweep the horizon. He had not seen this mare at any of the Rift lands. But, then again, those times had been complete and utter chaos. He had lost sight of equines he knew and loved— so seeing someone he didn’t know was entirely plausible. “Did you enter Helovia during or after the Rift battles?” Once again his bass voice is laced with curiosity about the onyx and ivory maiden.

@Calista

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

"I have not seen the ocean since I was a filly. I come from a kingdom called Skyra, which must be very far away, because it took me many moons to travel here. Mauja found me at what I've learned is the Threshold. By his description, the Edge was the perfect place for me to settle. And I am not disappointed.I grew sick of talking to myself, I suppose."She gave Tembovu a half-smile in return. She did not think that he would know of the land that she had originated. She hoped he didn't. It was not a place that should be known about. After he father turned into a tyrant everything that existed fell to shambles. The lady did not like to think of what became of it after she left.

"Really? I'd imagine this place would be just as beautiful, even in covered in frost." Calista chuckled. But her words rung true. She did not particularly like the colder months, either. She could imagine that it would get quite chilly by the seaside. How could this place, up high above the world, ever be anything but beautiful? Now, when it was warm, Calista found the cliffs enjoyable. The sun's cheery spirits seemed to be projected upon everything her rays touched. Not that she had experienced the gray of winter, but she envisioned the pale beams that forced their way through the mist as being just as nice then. As depressing as ice and snow could be, they brought Calista a feeling of solace that could not be found elsewhere. Never mind the weather, she thought, the waterfront's beauty could not possibly be dampened. A seagull flew overhead, a flash of white feathers against the cloudless sky. It let out a shrill cry as it coasted on the balmy breeze.

"The rift?", she questioned, "Not a clue. I've never heard of that. Your voice tells me it's important. Would you care to enlighten me? What are these battles that you speak of?" wondering what the stallion was talking about, she leaned in closer to hear what he would say. She hoped that she had not missed something extremely important. If the painted woman had indeed, she would feel awful for being so oblivious. How could she have missed it? She chided herself. Well, maybe she hadn't even set hoof in Helovia when this so-called rift occurred. She supposed her questions would be answered soon enough.

"Talk?"

"It's my life, it's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever, I just wanna live while I'm alive."

image credits

@Tembovu

Tembovu
“Ah, my good man Mauja,” he grins as Calista mentions his lead, and friend. Though the smile quickly fades as all the recent events flood his mind— the death, the relinquishing of the Edge, the death of a child. He sweeps his eyes away from the mare, “I, too, travelled a cursedly long way to reach Helovia. I had not seen the ocean until I started my journey here.” His voice offers warmth as he reveals the similarities between the two of them. “It’s a damned hard journey, eh?” He glances at her with a crooked smile. It was a journey he hoped to never have to make again. Helovia was his home, now.

A shiver twitches his buckskin coat as she mentions the frost, “I suppose, if you like white. Lots of white,” he shrugs, grinning. Then he shakes his body forcefully, chuckling at himself, “I’m being a curmudgeon. Truly, the cliffs are breathtaking in all seasons. How could they not be?” His horn sweeps the vast expanse of the impressive drop. It was like nothing else in Helovia, unique to their herdlands, and inspiring. He sighed in appreciation of the simple beauty of nature.

He, too, watched the lone seagull as it flew and keened to the cloudless sky. “Yes, the Rift is a diseased realm that our gods salvaged some lands from. They are new regions in Helovia— though they were not easily gained. They gods of the Rift, a greedy and unjust lot, fought us tooth and nail,” he paused, the claw marks on his shoulder twitching as he recalled the tigress, “And the battles were costly…”

His voice trails quietly, the warm breezes playing with his words as they carried them away.

@Calista

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

"This place is very much like where I was born. We rarely saw the ocean, but it was always around us. The journey here was a difficult trek indeed. But I think it has been rewarding. The Edge is something to be proud of. I've spent very little time here, so I was using today to explore.The wind was beginning to pick up, whipping her tresses against her body and cranium. It carried the wistful scent of the ocean. A mess of charred strands twisted and turned against each other, dancing in the erratic path of the wind. Despite creating the irritating presence of hair in her field of vision, the breeze was always a nostalgic reminder of her old home. Her birthplace had always been blessed by such zephyrs, and when one stood atop a high bluff, the gusts could be quite strong. Calista chuckled in reply, "No wonder. After all, my coat has a milky hue, minus the top of my head and the tip of my tail." 

Tembovu mentioned something about the war bringing much bloodshed, and she felt slightly errant for inquiring about it. Calista was not familiar with the gods of the Rift. Clearly they possessed immense power. Although intrigued by his words, she thought it best not to pry further. She didn't want to drudge up any more bad memories. "There are many who want to hurt those around them. Fortunately there are just as many out there that want to help." As she finished her statement of positivity, her cyan gaze followed his to the laceration that marked his flesh. How had she not noticed? The mare cringed at the sight of it. The damage to Tembovu's shoulder looked to be painful. An injury of that caliber was bound to be. His body was clearly strong, and if it bothered him he disguised it well. "That's a nasty wound you've got there. If you ever need fresh herbs for it, or for any other ailment, don't hesitate to find me." As always, Calista tried her best to be helpful regarding the matter. She was relieved that he was accepting of her company. The painted mare watched as his eyes followed the grey bird. He exhaled deeply again, and spoke. The empathetic mare's face contorted to display her sadness at his words of loss, but the expression vanished from her features as quickly as it had appeared. She moved closer to him, leaving a comfortable space between them. There was so much she wanted to say, but what was the right way to say it to this stallion she had just met? 

"Talk?"

"it's my life, it's now or never, i ain't gonna live forever, i just wanna live while i'm alive." 

image credits

OOC: Sorry this is so late!

@Tembovu

Tembovu
His eyes travel between the ocean’s horizon and the mare beside him as she speaks of her home and the journey to Helovia and, ultimately, the Edge. There had been no ocean in his homelands of Dorobo. Perhaps the plains, when first inundated with the great rains, could be akin to a sea. But a short-lived one.

A slight grin tugged the corners of his thick lips as she responded to his comments on white— for, indeed, she was as white as the snow in Frostfall. He nodded slightly, dark blue gaze sweeping over her silken white coat, pausing on the ebony tail-tip and crown as she she announced them. A low hum of amusement and agreement came from his throat.

Again the hide on his shoulder and claw marks twitched as the gentle salt breezes caused itchiness rather than soothing the healing skin. He stops his limb to ease the irritation, causing a mild tremor in ground and cliffs beneath them. “This?” his voice is lighter, more jovial as she mentions his wound, “It’s but a scratch, Calista.” He chucked and winked at her, knowing full well that the Tiger goddess wound was much worse than that. But he had gotten off easy, compared to the wolf god battle.

“Are you a healer? Or were you, before you came here?” his head cocked to the side, in curiosity, at her comment of having herbs to help his god-begot wound. “We certainly seem to be in need of healers, lately,” again, a darkness swept over his face. Though this time, it was not as encompassing as when he was outright speaking of the battles.

@Calista

Please tag Tembovu.