the Rift

[OPEN] long way down

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

Everything dies. Everything dies and I care for nothing.

Watching the mare bury the broken body is like watching the earth turn from the point of view of the sun. It is small and inconsequential. We feel distant from each other. I am close to death, perhaps I embody it, but I am not within its grip. For now, we will not yet embrace.

My golden eyes, a perfect mirror of my mother's, search the mare's as she carries out the slow and delicate task. What is her reasoning for this? The frog will melt into the earth and become a part of it, perhaps even more quickly if she leaves it alone. But she insists. She is gentle. She, too, is silent.

The colt, on the other hand, is bursting with sound and shadow. What he may himself perceive as light, I understand as the depths of his shadow. Without realizing I had let me nose drop to the scent of the flower, to take in the strange beauty that the mare had plucked so readily from her being. When the babbling colt steals it away, I can't tell if I'm upset at his thievery of the flower from my senses or the desecration of the grave. I wish to say it was the latter, but I know this to be untrue.

An unfamiliar burning fills me. Would you have encouraged this, Manhattan? I think you would have. You would have chased him down, even as he prances with the prize betwixt his lips and leaves a trail of sticky red in his wake. His discharge resembles you. In its sharp acrid splatter patterns, I see your face. I remember your eternal end.

I know what you would have done. You would have grabbed the frog in your teeth and torn off its legs to teach me how to count. You would have chased this colt like a wolf does its prey, nipped its legs until the flower was dropped. You would have brought it to me.

I forget about the mare and stumble forward, slowed by the ache in my spine but undaunted by the roses and bloodstains. I follow the colt, first slow and then quicker, and reach out with impatient teeth to snap at him. No noise, no words, no justification. I simply clamp my teeth down, hoping to catch him and make him drop the flower.

I act. It is simpler than thinking.

""

MILO

I was forgotten, waiting to be found
image credits

@Libertad
@Agnodice

(Sorry guys... when it's my tag just poke me on skype, don't do it via site.)

Messages In This Thread
long way down - by Libertad - 11-02-2015, 01:26 AM
RE: long way down - by Milo - 11-02-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: long way down - by Agnodice - 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM
RE: long way down - by Libertad - 11-03-2015, 01:18 AM
RE: long way down - by Time - 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM
RE: long way down - by Milo - 12-13-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: long way down - by Agnodice - 12-18-2015, 11:58 PM
RE: long way down - by Libertad - 12-29-2015, 09:14 AM
RE: long way down - by Milo - 01-20-2016, 10:34 AM