the Rift

[OPEN] the watcher [challenge watching]

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
Vol is watching Ophelia v Nymeria!

BLESSED BY A BITCH FROM A BASTARD'S SEED
PLEASURE TO MEET YOU, PREPARE TO BLEED

He recognises the voice, and he recognises the anger in it.

The second he hears it, the beast's ears pin. What the hell has Nymeria done now? His colossal frame shifts into a heavy gallop, his thickly feathered limbs devouring the hard summer ground. He does not know what his twin has done to incite their aunt's ire, but whatever it is, it was probably done in a moment of madness. After all, like Volterra, Nymeria must be experiencing all the aches and pains of being an adult - hormones, impulsiveness, a desire to impress and dominate. Then again, his sibling is an intelligent creature, a viper to Volterra's roaring lion. He cannot see her doing something she didn't fully intend to do. He can't see her making a mistake. As much as the giant doesn't like to consider it, that means this was more than likely a calculated, planned attack, not one of passion and spur-of-the-moment desire.

Equally, though, Ophelia's actions surprise him. The behemoth always considered his aunt to be a refined, stoic creature, above such flashes of temper as this. He did not think her the sort to take out her anger on a mere girl, to swagger onto the battlefield dripping with arrogance and a desire to teach a lesson that isn't hers to teach. The stallion's scarred eyebrow lifts, somewhat displeased at this new side of his aunt - this childish side. She assumes she will crush Nymeria, which is a mistake. The children of the World Eater are strong, fearsomely so, and the giant thinks his sister has a chance. His dam earnt her title with her power and ability to strice menace into the hearts of any she met, so underestimating her or her offspring is a foolish idea.

That doesn't make what Nymeria's done right, though. Why attack a family member without provocation? Volterra can understand rage and a desire to own, but why aim it at such a needless source? Their aunt has never harmed them or displayed a desire to, so Nymeria's actions are ill-advised at best, damned idiotic at worst. She could create war for no other reason than...what, curiosity? "For fuck's sake, Nymeria," the titan growls under his breath, his tail swinging against his powerful hindquarters. What did his twin hope to accomplish by stealing their aunt? The titan draws to a halt near to the battlefield, a hulk of looming muscle and tight black flesh to observe the battle and pick up any pieces.

image credits

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
E r t h ë
"And now I wish to God that The earth would turn cold
And my heart would forget it's made of glass"

Like a lost star strayed from the heavens she limps up to the big stallion, eyes wide and lips parted in mingled fear and anticipation. There was no mistaking the anger in that voice, no doubting the determination behind the issued challenge - but though she didn't know the reasons for it, the pale dove cannot help but feel that this promise of violence is a mistake.

"What are they thinking... hasn't there been enough blood shed already?" she muttered, sparing a quick glance at the black brute. His attention was fixed on the challenger and he was muttering to himself. He looked angry and agitated, though Erthë doubted very much that it was for the same reasons as herself.

"Hey... Do you know what's going on?" she asked him, voice soft and quiet, careful - the last thing she needed was to get him angry at her. They had played once before, anger turning into friendly banter; they weren't close though, not what you'd call friends, and the filly was reluctant to get on his bad side. After all, she thought she might like him a little, despite the arrogance and snarky attitude.

Biting her lip the girl looked back at the pallid challenger, the Sun's Favored one, wondering whether this Nymeria person would show up. And even if they came, would they accept the challenge? Would they fight? What would she do if she they did though. Part of her quivered excitedly at the thought of getting involved, of throwing herself between the fighters and make them talk instead of spill blood.

But another, more sensible part kept her rooted to the spot. This was none of her business and she had no reason to step in. If these people chose to be foolish and get themselves hurt it was their choice. They were grown horses and would have to face whatever consequences, sooner or later.

Shifting the pale, blue-shaded wings she settled in to wait and watch, mouth a thin, grim line as eyes roved the landscape beneath the swiftly rising sun.

"And all the pretty tulips would disappear
And never disturb me again"

@Volterra

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

Agnodice is pawing through the flora, sniffing around in the plants. There were useful herbs everywhere to be found here! In the water, on the trees, in the flowers. There were poisons, too. Dainty flowers and stalks of plants that, if eaten, would cause nausea, migraines, paralysis, some could kill within hours.

She was in herb paradise, lurking around the rotunda, making a mental catalogue of what lay here. She would've been happy to continue doing this for the rest of the day, but she heard an angered scream pierce the air. Agnodice flicked an ear in it's direction, brow furrowing at the words she was hearing.

Someone's upset.

Agnodice rose from the flora, turquoise gaze finding a gargantuan black stallion and ethereal, dainty filly. She approached the pair quietly, stopping quite a distance from them. Her gaze followed theirs to see a mare dipped in red, rage radiating off her in waves. Agnodice's curvaceous ears flicked forward, straining against their hold on her head.

Words tumbled from the tiny, pale filly, asking a question that Agnodice wanted an answer to. With this in mind, She came closer to the pair, finding that the filly was adorned with both wings and horns. Agnodice had noticed that these were common traits here. She had no crown, no feathers. She was almost disheartened by her austere appearance. The stallion made her feel slightly better about this, for he was in the same boat as she. He lacked horns, wings, though he had the health that the filly seemed to lack, despite being a bit scarred.

But aren't we all?

@Volterra @Erthë

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

The children who have gathered might be confused or disillusioned by Ophelia's actions, but the Wildfire was not.

Gaucho was drawn down from the skies by the mere twinkle of Ophelia's ever glistening mane and tail. However it hardly took a few shiny invisible stones to draw his attention to the former Lady - hers was almost always an interesting situation to be in the presence of. And if not, she was hardly a sore sight to behold.

On blackened and fiery wings, Gaucho landed. He had distanced himself from the group, allowing his steely gaze to appraise them each, before shifting back. Volterra and Nymeria were both known to him - from when he had captured their mother. Erthe, he had seen at the various fights. The other mare too perhaps - but Gaucho's interest was not with the spectators. It was with the spectacle. He heard Nymeria say that whatever had happened was merely to get Ophelia's attention, which caused the Wildfire to grunt and mentally roll his eyes. In his antlers, Mara hissed and Vorsa shrugged uninterested.

Failure might get Ophelia's attention - but not in the way the white-faced child would want. Besides, had these children not seen how violently Ophelia reacted when their mother had tried these tactics? What made Confutatis 2.0 think that it would work out any better for her?

Folding his fiery appendages against his muscular flanks, Gaucho watched with interest. The only time he had seen Ophelia fight, it had been against him. The other times that they shared the battle field, there had been too much blood or bodies between them. But now, stoic and unabashed by responsibility, the Wildfire stood and looked on. Adrenaline filled his veins as he teased himself with the idea of pulling his eyes away from Ophelia. A self-discipline that he saw no reason to try and enforce.
Gaucho the Wildfire
The Wildfire

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

BLESSED BY A BITCH FROM A BASTARD'S SEED
PLEASURE TO MEET YOU, PREPARE TO BLEED

The filly who approaches is familiar; the porcelain girl he'd 'rescued' from drowning. He knows she was badly injured during the God fights, and almost feels morally obliged to ask about her wellbeing. Almost. They are not friends, but nor are they enemies. She is just a girl, and yet Volterra cannot summon the words to his lips, not when his sister's plight is so much closer to his blackened heart.

Her words are the peaceful, naiive musings of youth, and the stallion snorts. There is never enough bloodshed. There will always be fighting, from the mightiest war to the tiniest misunderstanding. What this particular situation is remains to be seen. Do you know what's going on? There's no anger in the stallion when he answers her question - nor does he look at her. His eyes remain riveted on the battle, if indeed there is to be a battle. "The young mare is my sister. The pale one is our aunt. Let's just say it's a little bit of a clusterfuck - and you can ask your mother what that means." There's no venom in his voice, and he doesn't realise he may hit a nerve with mention of her mother. He means no harm to her - he just doesn't have it in him, not when his heart is being wrenched in two by his sister's own damn stupidity.

His massive head lifts slightly as another approaches, this one unfamiliar. It is a mare, a beautiful buckskin creation that, under normal circumstances, would set the black behemoth's heart to racing and balls to pulsing. And, indeed, he has enough left to cast a greedy glance across her, drinking in every delicious curve, but there's no real energy behind his perfunctory observation of her body. This is what his twin does to him; removes all but the most basic of emotions, renders him broken whilst in her thrall. He only has eyes for her, for what is going to happen next. And, when Nymeria speaks, Volterra damn near chokes on his own tongue. She wants Ophelia's attention?

What the hell is she up to? There's far easier ways to get somebody's attention.

He frowns, creasing his sharp features into harsh lines. "Get her attention? Is a simple 'hello' too much damn effort?" His words are a harsh mutter, audible to only those in his immediate vicinity. At that moment, another stallion arrives; he's large, powerfully-built, winged and antlered. Volterra recognises him from past battles, and - shit - as the man who took their mother. His ears flatten momentarily, but then he remembers his dam telling her how she cunningly escaped his wrath, and his features quickly straighten back out. Mother won. Or so the giant thinks. He can't know that his dam, silver-tongued snake, fooled her son with her tales of derring-do. That the harsh reality was that she was released out of either mercy or boredom - that she did not outwit him, simply bided her time until her capture no longer served a purpose.

No, the beast knows none of this. And there is little time to dwell, as his attention continues to linger on the family feud between Nymeria and Ophelia. How will his aunt react?

image credits

@Erthë

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
E r t h ë
"And now I wish to God that The earth would turn cold
And my heart would forget it's made of glass"

Others joined them on the sidelines, no doubt drawn in by the commotion. Erthë eyed them curiously, taking in their appearances and demeanor without saying anything. The pale mare was unfamiliar to her, equine and plain but rather nice looking; the fire-wreathed stallion was almost too familiar, a face she had seen on nearly every battlefield during the long divine conflict. Erthë inclined her head to each in turn and murmured a quiet greeting, but kept the better part of her attention on the two challengers and on the dark colt by her side.

His reply surprised her. It probably shouldn't have, because looking between him and the young filly, there were so many similarities between them that she felt foolish for not seeing it before. Equally dark and masked, with eerie red eyes and an air of confidence about them that contrasted greatly with their years. For them to be related to the pale, blood-stained Amaranth however... she couldn't really see it. Their build was so different, and weren't family supposed to be close and get along?

Before she could ask him further about it however, the stallion uttered words that cut her deeper than she would have thought possible. Not intentionally, no she didn't think so, she didn't even think he knew, but even so...To have the mention of her mother sprung upon her like that was something she wasn't prepared for. Erthë flinched visibly and sidestepped, away from the swarthy stud with her pale, softly hued face screwed up in pain.

"I can't" she said, voice breaking even though she tried so hard to keep it steady. "Rather, she couldn't answer if she wanted to..."

She'd thought the pain had faded, that she had learned to live with her loss. But with a single, stray comment he proved her horribly wrong. Erthë hadn't gotten over the loss of her mother - she had barely even begun to grieve at all.

Swallowing thickly she turned away, eyes retreating back to the mares that were the center of this whole spectacle. She tried to focus on what they were saying, what was going on, but even as she stared at their monochrome figures her thoughts strayed, eyes blurring with unwanted tears as memories of a quiet, black mare flooded into her mind.

"And all the pretty tulips would disappear
And never disturb me again"

@Agnodice

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

There was something strange going on here, something deeper than just trying to steal her for attention. From the look on Volterra's face, she assumed he thought the same - though she didn't know for sure. Ophelia removed herself from her position in front of Nymeria, thinking the girl's apology was just enough to get her out of trouble this time. But, she knew, it wouldn't work this way in the future. One of these days, she would get herself into trouble she couldn't get out of with this attitude - just like her mother.

Was history destined to repeat itself?

Shaking her head and exhaling, the tension of her body melted into weariness, and she stared at the little skull-faced girl. "If your apology is honest and you understand that actions have consequences, I will train you," she offered honestly, no lie anywhere on her alabaster features. Ophelia meant every word. Though she didn't trust the girl and had no reason to, she knew that extending this offer was the right thing to do.

Her coat was all but faded white now, and she loathed to think what Gaucho thought of her now. Surely he was upset that she didn't finish the battle she had started. Phi glanced in his directly, glad at least that he knew to be weary of Nymeria now.

Ophelia turned to her brother then, smiling weakly. "I hope that this does not affect what we have, Volterra," she said quietly. "You are strong and honest, and I would be proud to have you in the ranks of the World's Edge. There is much I can teach you and your sister if you only ask. Roskuld, my only daughter, has made her own way in this world, and I do not have any other children. I do not claim to know everything, and I am not perfect..." she trailed off, remembering her faults and crimes of war and deceit.

"Regardless, you know where to find me if you need anything."

Credits: Image by Del-Rae @ DA

@Nymeria @Volterra

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!