the Rift

[OPEN] Crocodile Tears [Joining]

Hera Posts: 50
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 3 Months
nickel

So much had changed in the matter of only a few hours for the filly, first she had been having a day with her mother and the next surrounded by strangers and chased by lighting. It had turned out to be one of those days where its better not to even get up. By the time she arrived at this new place she was soaked to the bone and ice cold, the rain had barely let up the entire trip and now more than ever she wished that her Mama was there to comfort her. Instead all she had was a white winged mare called Elsa and a rather scary looking monster man she couldn't remember the name of. Many times she had stumbled in the thick mud injuring her already bleeding knees and forelegs but somehow she had managed to keep walking despite everything telling her to stop and go back to find Mama. Her stomach growled insistently for food but the best she could do was just try and ignore it for with Mama lost in this storm she had no one. Every part of her tiny body was exhausted but her anxious energy was continuing to drive her forward fearing the worst of this new place. All around her were trees and mist that liked to conceal her view of everything as her head was well below the fog line.

Looking up to Elsa she wondered what she was to do now that she had been brave enough to follow her back to this strange place. Had Edda..gggr..r found Mama? Was he bringing her here to get her? Pulling her tail around her once more she stood shivering and trying to ward off the cold weather by imagining home curled up next to mother. She was scared but mama would want her to be brave like she had been many times before, well except when she had seen the horribleness. Cringing at the thought she pulled her charm up to her muzzle to fiddle with the stars to pass her time until mama would come to get her. "Is Mama here?" She asked turning her eyes up to meet Elsa's hopefully.

TAGS: @Elsa , @Alune , Open to anyone
NOTES: Joining thread continuing from the threshold.

every loss, every mistake, was seared into her soul, creating a different kind of tattoo, one made from rage and abandonment, heart break and tears
credits

[Image: hera_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4d_by_moonstone_...9ggy0h.png]
Please Tag Me In All Threads

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa,
Feel lucky for what you have, when you have it. Happily ever after doesn’t mean happy forever.

The tension was slowly leaking away as she herded Hera back towards the Edge. That, however, did not draw away from her attentiveness. Elsa seemed almost constantly at the child’s beck and call. Every so often she’d lower her nose and gently press against her back in encouragement as they trudged through the rain and sludge. Hera’s young age caused her to stumble a lot more than Elsa had anticipated. The wounds growing on her knees were a cause for concern, and the desperation was building within Edgar and Elsa’s bond. It seemed at every turn there was no sight of her mother. There was no worried mare calling after her child, and yet at the same time, no body.

Elsa was screaming on the inside, begging Edgar to find something. Yet the poor bird did all he could. She could feel his exhaustion through the bond, and it was so strong that even Elsa felt like she wanted to collapse. ’Come back, but stay away from Hera. I need her to hold out hope a little longer.’ A pang of guilt spread throughout her system like a wildfire as she glanced towards the child. Was it bad for her to lie? Looking at Hera’s wounds Elsa needed to give her something to cling to, at least until she trusted Elsa more and became comfortable in her surroundings. For now, it would be cruel to let a wounded body and soul take a knife to the heart.

She ushered the group beneath the canopy of the forest inside of the Edge. Elsa found a rather dry spot, and motioned for the girl to come lay next to her. She extended her wing, inviting her to come sit under it for comfort. By now, Edgar had made his way back, and Hera had answered the question Elsa hoped to avoid until tomorrow. Encouragingly, she motioned to her side again, inviting her to get some rest while Elsa talked. Speaking of which, had Alune followed? Beneath the storm and the rain she had barely noticed Alune’s presence, and she had passed him by quickly as she moved toward the Edge. She kept an eye out just in case, maybe Alune had seen something she hadn’t.

”No, your mama is not in the Edge right now. Edgar is still out looking for her.” The lie fell off her tongue with ease, but it still hit Elsa in the heart. Edgar silently crowed in anguish from a nearby tree as he stealthily kept an eye on the group. ”I promise I’lll take care of you until she gets here. I have my own babies that were like you, strong and independent. Now they’re all grown up and strong, just like you’ll be!” She exclaimed, a smile creeping up her face despite the weather. ”You’re mama is probably off trying to find you, but we both know this storm is bad. She probably took up shelter somewhere and will come find you in the morning.” Elsa was sure to leave off any definitive guess of that happening. She did not want to make a promise to Hera when she couldn’t ensure she could keep it. ”So while we wait, why don’t you tell me a little bit about yourself? Like, what are your favorite things to do, did you come from a band of horses, have any siblings…” Her voice trailed off in an effort to not overwhelm the child. ”Of course, you can always ask me questions too if you have any. I’ll do my best to answer them.” Then she fell quiet, hoping the girl would feel comfortable around her for now. Elsa would need to get her a healer and a wet nurse somehow too, and fast.

"talk"
image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Outcast
nickel

The filly's heart sank when there was no news as to her mothers whereabouts but she tried not to take it too personally just yet. Maybe it was like Elsa had said and she was out looking for her as they spoke but then the storm made her go get cover. It was the best option that she had cause surely Mama would never leave her alone in some strange place. Had she gone back home to get others to help her? While it was a possibility she wasn't sure that any of them would even know what she looked like. None had ever been introduced to her over the last couple weeks and other than the time she had snuck out to see what Mama was up to she had never seen the others. Many voices drifted back through the trees on those windy days where the breeze would howl through the trees bringing with it all the scents and sounds from far away, without this though she wouldn't have known others existed. She had wondered why mother never let her leave their little hollow but had never really thought too much about it until now.

Exhaustion was slowly catching up to the painted filly despite her fierce determination to wait for Mama she soon found herself moving over to where Elsa had laid down. Allowing her knobby knees to buckle underneath her the girl gently lowered herself down curling her tail up alongside her body. Yawning she shook her head and tried to shuffle herself a little closer to the white mare's body to steal away some of her heat to warm herself up. Thinking for a few minutes about the few questions to find words she finally decided to open up a little bit and actually talk about her Mama and her. "There were other's, but mostly it was just Mama around. She always say that I not old nuff to meet the rest of the erd. That why I have ta stay in the hollow when Mama wasn't there." She commented trying her hardest to get her words right and not make any mistakes. Language was still difficult for the filly but she was slowly getting the hang of it the more she practiced. It helped her to hear others talk first to help remind her of certain pieces that she forgot about.

"Mama N me were out explorin when we got separated. She was there one second but then when I look back she was gone. She always there... Did I do something wrong to make her go way?" It was scary to think that maybe Mama had left because of something she had said or done, but she would come back. Looking down to the ground with worry her bicoloured optics catch to her present Mama had given her. "Mama gave me this" She commented proudly lifting the star bangle for Elsa to see. "Since I turned four week now she said I could have it. It used to be Mama's but now its mine."

TAGS: @Elsa
NOTES: Anyone can join in still

every loss, every mistake, was seared into her soul, creating a different kind of tattoo, one made from rage and abandonment, heart break and tears
credits

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

This storm was uniquely awful of Tallsun, for generally the season gives the Edge heat, humidity, and temperate breezes. It is, by far, his favorite season of Helovia. He shakes his head to himself has he walks through the trees, seeking cover instead of his sheer size being a lightning beacon on the cliffs. His newness, his crown, it was all as overwhelming as the dumping of water forming rivers and muck on the saturated earth.

His sweeping, heavy footfalls squelch and sink into the mud of the forests, shoulders and haunches bulging beneath his wet hide to dislodge his hooves from the sucking muck. His back is soaked, the buckskin coat plastered to his black skin. The stripes of white are transparent in their sodden state.

Pale legs are splattered with mud, which slowly streams down his thick limbs with the pouring rain, only to be re-splattered with his next step. It’s truly a miserable journey. Lightning streaks across the sky and towards the earth, quickly followed by deafening booms of thunder. His ears lay back against the roars, though quickly perk forward as a murky white form meets his squinted gaze.

As he nears, the rain no longer obscures the scene before him. Elsa stands, hovering over a small, dark, and soaked form beneath a tree. Immediately is concern is piqued— surely a foal should not be out in such weather? And was this one of Elsa’s foals— one she had lost during the invasion? Brief elation for the General alights in his barrel, before he comes closer and realizes that this foal is far too young. Too young to even be away from her dam’s teat, yet.

His mind flashes on Nyx, wondering if she would have enough milk for a third foal. Most likely not, twins were hard enough to nourish as it was. Finally, he reaches the pair, catching the end of the filly’s answers. His eyes immediately fall to the bloodied knees of the young one, and his heart twists. His head drops from his great height to her small one, “Hello little one, I am Tembovu. Who might you be?” His voice is warm and low, managing to cut through the onslaught of rain around them.

Her answers had reminded him of another foal in the Threshold. Why were so many foals crossing into Helovia now? “I am certain you did nothing wrong,” he pauses, gaze dropping to the bangle she so proudly displayed, “And that is a mighty fine bracelet.” He raises his head to look at Elsa, “You came from the Threshold?” Though he speaks to both of them, his question is aimed to Elsa, his eyes grave. The little one would need a nurse mare at her young age, and the hope of finding her dam was slim.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Elsa @Hera

Please tag Tembovu.

Alune Posts: 65
World's Edge Seer atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Nova

the philosopher

The rain was terrible, the unrelenting downpour had all but drenched every inch of the great stallion. His jewellery sat uncomfortably on his his chest, irritated by the extended downpour. Long oceans of hair now lay flat and disheveled, and his tail caked in the very mud that sought to tie him down. It caked his legs and underbelly with it's sopping presence as well, his shining glory had all but washed with the rains to leave him a dismal sight in need of a wash and shelter from the rain song. However, he wouldn't relax until little Hera and Elsa had made it back to the Edge safely, and so he had moved to patrol in front and behind the duo, ever moving to ensure there were no dangers or hard ship that would come between them and their home.

The only real advantage of such heavy rain was the cover it provided, able to traverse mostly unseen like a ghost in the fog. He covered the slicked, suctioning ground with the fervor of a grand sentinel. He only ever paused when he came within distance of Elsa and Hera, silver eyes assessing whether they were in need of more hands on assistance. He knew it would be wiser to let Hera be tended by a more mothering spirit, rather than a large stallion, as gentle as he was.
Whatever had caused the Gods to weep so furiously, may it soon pass. He didn't know how much longer any of them could stand to feel the cold trickle of their sorrow down their sides, dampening their spirits and their moral to new found lows.

Only when the horizon of the Edge met his gaze, did he reappear. A loud crescendo of wet hooves striking dirt and stone, followed by a snort signaled his appearance. Out of the rains thick blanket of fog that mingled with the Edge's own, he stood next to Elsa and turned to face the titanic stallion in front of them.

A little wet. A little disheveled. And a whole lot of covered in mud. At least they were at the edge now.

"I wish we hadn't come from the Threshold, the walk is far too much for such a little one to take in this weather." His head raised with his words, laced with grim acknowledgement. Far too much for such a  young soul to undertake, especially in poor conditions as this. Crowned head lowers to check on Hera, the sympathy and concern swirls in the deep shimmering orbs. "You did nothing wrong at all, we will find your mother." Nodding and casting a questioning glance to Elsa, had Edgar found signs of the wayward life giver? Or was she washed away with the torrents of waters currently falling from the sky?

"How are your knees?" His gaze then shifts to Tembovu, head bobbing in a silent greeting to him. "Are there Moon Doctors around to tend to her?" He doesn't ask whether there is a nurse mare to take her, as he's unsure himself if there are any mares in the Edge currently nursing foals, or any that could spare the milk.

notes;; better late than never, so sorry!

moonlight drowns out all but the
brightest
stars.

@Hera @Elsa @Tembovu
[Image: QsJIY4g.png]
"I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky,
 And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon."

force & violence permitted on Alune at all times
with the exception of maiming and death

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa,
Feel lucky for what you have, when you have it. Happily ever after doesn’t mean happy forever.

To her relief, Tembovu and Alune both made an appearance. Tembovu is the first to arrive, his body splattered in dirt. He looked almost worse than Elsa, but Elsa was now decked out in muddy dreads and streaks all over her entire body. He reaches down to Hera then, and even though she didn’t mean it, Elsa attempted to cover more of Hera with her wing. She had no reason to distrust Tembovu, but just trusting another to even get near her set Elsa on Edge. She shuddered as she realized her reaction, and backed off a bit. Her eyes sent a pleading look to Tembovu to forgive her. He knew a little of her past, and she needed him to understand she would always be this way. Even when her twins were born, and she was weathered away by exhaustion, she stood to keep Oxy away.

Her attention though, had returned to the little girl who began to blame herself for her mother’s disappearance. Elsa pressed her muzzle gently against the girl’s poll, trying to keep herself from crying out for her. Was this how her girls had felt when they disappeared? ”You did not to anything, dear. I’m sure she was just looking to protect you. I can tell, from a mother’s view, that she gave you that charm to show how much she loves you. If I can guess anything, she loved you more than anything else in her life.” Elsa nibbled a little bit on the girl’s hair, trying to calm her as well as deal with the question Tembovu had presented. There were a million questions hidden behind such a mundane one, and the key one being food. As much as Elsa wanted to solely take care of her, she was inept in the food department. Who in the Edge could help? It would be incredibly hard for Elsa to ship her away elsewhere to grow. There had to be another nursing mare somewhere, right? ”She needs food too, I can tell she's hungry. Who is nursing children then, or are any pregnant?” A quiet desperation colored her voice as she glanced between the two stallions who had arrived. ”We did come from the threshold, she was hiding and awaiting her mother when I arrived. Alune and Sialia from the Basin were present by the time I had found them. I’m not sure how long she was out there by herself. Edgar is out looking for her mother.” She couldn’t just say it aloud that her mother was nowhere to be found. Quickly trying to divert the girl’s attention away from her eyes, she acted as if she was shifting her wings. Once she covered her eyes, she quickly tried to make Tembovu to follow her eyes to a nearby tree where her icy companion sat. He couldn’t find even a single sign of her.

Turning to Alune then, he was paying attention to her physical wounds. Her knees were pretty banged up, and she needed some sort of help. ”In the morning, when she is rested and the storm has passed, do you think you could help Hera get to a healer? I want to head back out in the morning to get Edgar, and search myself for her mother.” Hope had been sucked from her voice, but she would at least try to bring the mom home. No child deserved to grow up alone.

"talk"
image credits

[ooc;; its a little weird, so I hope it made sense! @Hera]
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Outcast
nickel

Heavy foot steps startled the filly from her excitement over her bracelet as she turned her head only to see a giant figure coming towards them. Glancing quickly over to the white mare beside her she found herself shrinking in closer to her as her heart beat rapidly. What was with all these strangers? Why were they so big? Where they going to eat her? So many questions rolled through the young girl's mind as she watched the man stop in front of her. Gulping nervously she dared to peek her head up to look to the giant stallion who was now staring down at her. What did he want? Fearing the worst when his mouth moved she was surprised by how his voice sounded so...so.. friendly. It was the opposite of what she had been thinking considering his massive size, oh and speaking of giants... A flash of white drew her eye over to the freaky looking man without eyes as he reappeared once more a little ways off. Why was it about everyone being so big? Listening quietly as he spoke it took a minute for her to clue into what he had asked her.

Weariness had started to cloud her mind but the filly stubbornly fought it off (or tried to) as she turned her head to stare up at the strange man who was still staring down at her. Fiddling with his name for a minute the girl couldn't figure out how to tackle such a awkward word so she finally gave up thereby dubbing his new name to be Temby. Flicking her ears around as everyone seemed to talk all at once to try and reassure her that she had done nothing wrong she could only sigh knowing they only were trying to help. It was hard to think of much she could have done with her mind being so scattered with age but what if she had done something bad? Without Mama around how was she supposed to live? Mama gave her food and a home and lotsa other things she couldn't remember right now but surely there were more. Looking down to her thin body she noted all the dirt and mud still painting new colours into her coat, what was she supposed to do to get it to go away? Mama always took care of that how was she supposed to do it herself? Looking back to Temby she attempted to provide some kinda answer as to her name before cluing into the part he had said about her bracelet. He liked it? This excited her greatly and brought a small smile to her face for the first time in at least a day or so especially when Elsa also followed up with a comment about it. "Me He..He.r..Hera." She replied sheepishly still stumbling over the pronunciation of her own name but finally getting it in the end.

The rest of the conversation continued around her but thanks to her age she found it rather easy to get sidetracked by playing around with the charms on her bracelet as she curled her tail back up around her. Grown-ups talked too much sometimes and this was one of them especially when Mama was still missing out there. Shuffling around to try and get into a comfier position made her knees start to burn as the irritated flesh ached painfully. Groaning a little at the painful sensation she quickly shifted back off them to avoid it altogether. Almost fully underneath Elsa's wing now she looked up wondering why but with the warmth she really didn't care too much.

Tags: @Tembovu , @Alune

credits

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

Deep blue eyes rivet from Elsa to the great Alune as he followed on the heels of the icy pegasus and young filly. He nodded in agreement at his words, this was miserable weather, especially for a little one with no nourishment and injured knees. Though, at the moon-touched’s promise of finding Hera’s dam, a sliver of agitation entered his azure eyes. There was little chance— especially if the child lost her mother outside Helovia’s magical borders— that she would reunite with her again.

This concern was confirmed as Elsa began talking, indirectly answering his questions as she spoke to the foal. As she explained and questioned after a nurse mare, he followed her eyes towards Edgar. Indeed, the little companion had not found the mother, after all. He returned his eyes to the grey filly of brightly colored leg-feathers as she began to sound out her name.

A lopsided smile crossed his face, despite the tragedy and miserable weather, at the sound of such a young voice. “Hera is a grand name,” his voice was low, but rumbled above the storm. Beginning to shift so that he was closer to the little Hera, he addressed the General and Philosopher, “I agree, a Moon Doctor should look at her knees. Though Elsa is right, Alune. you should wait until morning and the end of the storm to find one— I don’t think you’d have much luck finding one now.” He paused, thinking of her needing a wet mare, “And yes, I know that Nyx has just given birth to twins. But I am not certain that she has enough milk for even those two, let alone a third…” his face clouds somewhat as he begins to fold his legs beneath him. “But I will search in the morning.”

Finally collapsing his great bulk beside the small foal, he looked to the bleeding, soaking filly with gentle eyes. A suspiciously large yawn suddenly split his face as he exaggerated the motions of settling himself into the damp, but soft, earth beneath the tree. Glancing at Hera, the smallest of grins turned up the corners of his mouth, “This surely is the most comfortable tree in the Edge.” He rests his back against the thick trunk, allowing for a small, perfectly sized spot on his side, should a filly wish to curl up there. “And, surely, you must be cold,” indeed the rain was chilly, yet the Elephant’s gave of heat in wisps of steam that curled from his coat.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Hera @Elsa @Alune

Please tag Tembovu.