the Rift

heartbeats [rexanna vs ashamin]

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
He was right. I began to think of it more and more at the fact that he was right about everything. He laughed about Caleb and an ear flickered back in a bit of embarrassment. I didn’t know what others thought of the stag aside from Tembovu. And well, we knew how that went. Shifting my posture slightly, all hooves met the ground in a strong stance. I watched him briefly before noticing the light that poured through the mouth of his home. Eyes lit up with the light and the white on his body grew intense to my eyes so I had to look away. He told me to speak with the two I was struggling with and I nodded, but said nothing. Ears perking to him and eyes catching his briefly at the mention of a spar. He wanted to spar with me? Pushing the thought aside, I figured it was the least I could do for my friend after his advice so I nodded to him. Chains dancing slightly with the movement, glinting with the light. I remembered the few times I had seen him since first meeting him. Such a young, terrified creature. Only just looking for a home, a new life, and hope. My how things change.

I’ve never sparred before, but for you I’ll give it a shot.” I spoke gently, smiling to the Haruspex. The fading light of the day beginning to entrance the cave with colors of red and golds, illuminating my own gold dusted pelt like fire. “If you don’t think it would be too much trouble, I’d like for you to begin.” And with that, I braced myself mentally for anything that was about to come my way. Would I snap and try to actually harm him? Or would he go for blood for me as well? Swallowing as quietly as I could, I couldn’t help the nervous twitch in my tail.

"Talk."
OOC: Hope I did this right ;-;
I had a dream you were two towns from me
GOT TO SLEEP,
     spent the whole night
running
image credits
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

ashamin
ENDURANT

Ashamin blinked at the unexpected splatter of red as he moved from his cave to the clearing before it. Had he really been sleeping so long that the sun was already setting?

The sun painted Rexanna in brilliant hues, highlighting her gold and turning his large white patches into pink swaths of color. They were beautiful together. Not as a pair, but as two simply existing in the same space. This whole scene, it was beautiful.

The haruspex struggled to adjust to his misunderstood concept of time; only when Lochan sleepily poked his head out of the entrance to the cave did Ashamin really believe that night was drawing near. The reminder filled him with a new energy. This was his time, these were his strongest hours. So when Rexanna deferred to him he did not protest. He felt a need, a welling urge, to show her that he bore enough skill to begin their spar. It was foolish to still feel as though he needed to show he was worthy when it was clear to so many that he had earned his place in this herd as an adviser and fighter, when he bore scars of experience, but he could not shake it.

Eventually he would learn, wouldn't he? Or would he always feel so desperate and lacking? He had pleased Rexanna well enough with his words, but what about his actions? The buck turned to face her, swallowing the unconscious nervousness that in his throat as he did so.

His tail, an absurdly long snake tipped with a coil, dragged across the ground before he found the resolve to lift it. It flew up high like a banner, making him taller even than he would be in a rear, and then smacked down to strike the frost beneath him. It was a signal of beginning, perhaps, but one accompanied with a smile. He had no intentions to make this a violent spar, he just wanted to be accepted. He wanted to prove himself useful, that foolish, painted buck.

Given that his Ashamin's intent was not ill he approached with kindness, moving slowly and clearly--giving her time to perhaps anticipate his attack. It gave him time, too, to size her up. She had a build unlike his own, one more agile and athletic as if she were naturally better suited to combat than he. But he bore lean muscles from practice and war, had begun at last to fill out. His sarong was still with Lochan on the ground at the entrance to his cave, his mask was delicately strung around his neck on a chain. He trotted towards Rexanna, facing her head on, and cast her a faint smile before picking up his pace and angling his head to the left, trying to snap at her neck or chest as he hopefully crashed into her front.

The chain she wore was bright, a hypnotic target even though he didn't mean to grab hold of it. Still he found himself leaning towards it as he tried to bite, drawn in by its glittering charm. Had she always been so adorned? Ashamin looked back at his own figure from the corner of his eye--had he? Lochan stood watching at the front of his cave, he saw that clearly when he cast his eyes back forward. Lochan the brave and loyal, who would strike at any second, join in whenever needed. It was strange how so little time here had given him so much.

""

Image Credits

PC: 1/3, 0/1
WC: 583/800
Notes: Whoo! And so it begins.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

And so it began. His rear to show the beginning of our spar was a bit nerve racking for me. When it came to battling, all I could remember was the bloody fights from back home as well as these Rift fights that had been going on. A shiver split its way down my spine as his hooves hit the ground, and I only stepped back dipping my head in a kind of steep dance to show I was ready. But I wasn’t ready. I pawed at the ground slightly, reaching for the frost that had gathered with the dawn. And in my split second to watch, gather my information at his size and movements, I seemed to blur out the moment before coming to realize that he was aiming right for me. In my half rear of an attempt to back away from his collision, he hit me. My breath exhaling swiftly from my lungs as he collided with my chest and I felt his bite, a snort escaping my lips as I reached the ground once more. I began to feel the bruises that were sure to show against my pale pelt.

Right before I could retaliate, he had reached for a hold of my chain that decorated my forehead. As he grabbed the glittering trinket, I felt my head pull down toward him, a sharp pain growing in the right side of the base of my neck. As my head moved toward him from his effort, I reached, hoping ever so much, that my own teeth could collide with him. My head was angled in such a way that my horn was nowhere near the painted stag, instead it pointed toward the surrounding ground. The cave that we had just emerged from. The light of dawn gracing each of us with a beautiful color that at any other point I would have admired, but I needed to focus on the task at hand before growing sidetracked. Aiming my lips for the left side of his throat, I pushed from my hind legs with my front legs barely hovering above the ground now; hoping to try and catch him off guard and push him back to give me a bit of room. Where I was short in height overall, I was rather spindly due to my long legs. My small yet lean build had always been helpful when I tried to seduce my ways out of these situations, but for fighting I had no idea how it would go. I could feel my heartbeat race, the rhythmatic sensation could also be felt in my bruising chest. I had never fought in my life, being held so regarded at the beginning of my life only to succumb to sexual endeavors to get out of greed. However, this was different. This was Ashamin, that small and timid creature that made his way to the Basin with the help from Lena in search of friendship. Look at him now, the beast that speaks with our God, trying to prove himself to me. And for what? Acceptance?  

My blue eyes were full of strict determination that I could show him that I was stronger than I looked, but with the weight and pain of battle I was beginning to question myself. I shot a glance toward Lochan, the gentle little creature I had seen just after he hatched, now poised and ready to attack at a simple sign from Ashamin. I didn’t want to hurt Ashamin, but at this point I was beginning to feel the slight pangs of pain where he had bit me, crashed into me, and pulled my head down. I was ready now, my head was now in the right place. I was ready to give it my all – I only could hope that my bite and attempt at pushing him back had been successful.

"Talk."
Summary: Gets pushed back for a moment by Ashamin, who then pulls her head down by grabbing her chain. Rex tries to use this to her advantage and tries to push back into him, aiming her head to try and bite his neck.
OOC: OUCH ASHAMIN. xD
GOT TO SLEEP,
     spent the whole night
running
image credits

ashamin
ENDURANT

Perhaps Ashamin had overestimated her strength. She was, after all, a thief and not a fighter. As his body made contact with hers--his chest striking and her figure seeming to fall away from his own--he considered that he might be the problem, too. Well, problem wasn't really the term, but... what was he supposed to call it?

He was improving, that was really all that could be said on the matter. He was growing more skilled, filling out his awkward frame with muscles and scars and beginning to show his worth more and more each time he stepped forward in a spar. Ashamin felt his jaw tugged towards the shimmering of her chain and away from her flesh--was thankful when it was all he snapped down on. If he really was so strong that he could throw her back upon impact, then perhaps such contact with her skin could have done more damage than he had expected.

The haruspex searched for her eyes. There was something endless about them, something that he wanted to find and calm himself in. They were a blue that reminded him of Tiamat's soft coat, a blue that reminded him of the endless sea in which he'd died. It had only been a dream, maybe, but now as he saw her eyes flash with determination he was reminded of the power of that color. Her orbs were hypnotic in a way that captured Ashamin's focus, lulled him into quiet and slowed his motion. He should have been thinking about what it meant that he had pulled her head lower, about how she might take such a position as useful and use it against him, but instead he was caught in the blue.

Blue like the sea, blue like the end... blue.

He only came to clear consciousness again when he felt Rexanna's delicate form press against his. At first the collision was gentle and warm like a soft kiss. His return to reality was easy, and were it not for the sudden throbbing of a bruise where the brow above her horn had shoved against his chest he perhaps would have let himself fade into some sort of distant sleep of the mind.

But no, with her strike came pain and a shaking, inevitable, incomprehensible rage. Ashamin clamped his teeth down on empty air as the hurt spread softly through the muscle. It wouldn't be enough to hinder his movement greatly, but the strength that Rexanna carried in her hindquarters and the haruspex's anticipation of her next maneuver did temporarily grant her what she wanted: room.

Swiftly Ashamin turned away from the rapture of her gaze and pulled his figure to the left, avoiding her teeth entirely. His own eyes--dark pits of tar--looked towards her with no evidence of emotion. It was there, though, to be sure; doubt hobbled him, concern for Rexanna unexpectedly tripped him up. He had not parted his jaw since first clamping it down in pain. Now he let those teeth grind and his tongue smack against them inside his mouth. He would force himself to keep them closed, lest he make the same mistake that he had with Erebos and unleash the force his mask could curse him with without thinking.

The paint's tail was in fickle and constant movement, writhing at his back like some creature with its mouth clamped on poison that twisted violently to set itself free. Without much thought the haruspex rushed forward, charging towards his own left and aiming to position himself parallel to Rexanna's unprotected right side, facing away from her. The adorned white snake at his back followed haphazardly, whipping, sparking, and curling dangerously close to her jugular. It was clear that Rexanna wanted room--with the speed her legs surely granted her and the slight disadvantage of her height, Ashamin could understand why. But he could not quell his competitive side, so aroused by the glinting of her gold and blue. The colors could return him only to Zahra's blood that had just narrowly saved him from death, the death that in hindsight he thought he may have wanted.

So who was she now to taunt him with such bold shades, like a matador before the bull? He snorted and lashed his tail once more, throwing it upon the wet ground as he attempted to thrust his left against the thief's opposite side. He would not give her the distance she needed to win.

It wasn't because Ashamin wanted to triumph, no. It was that he couldn't handle the shame of losing to an agent like her--one of royalty, of shadow, of erotic strife, and one, at last, of death.

""

Image Credits

PC: 2/3, 0/1
WC: 777/800
Notes: Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the patience.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

My attempts at pushing the painted stallion back had worked, and for that I allowed myself a brief moment of success to ring in my mind. Though, as my attempts to grab his flesh failed, I was surprised at the amount of pressure I had given him to give me room. He had moved to my right just enough to evade my teeth. At least I finally had breathing room. My blue eyes searched for his, locking with them momentarily but all I could see was black. I searched for a second to try and spot something aside from the dark and cold I felt from his gaze. Ears flickered momentarily as I felt the pain in my chest begin to grow with the pressure of pain from his attack as well as mine. I began to grow distracted from the pain and bruises forming on my pelt, but at least I had gotten the space I needed.

My pulse raced, my breathing grew heavy, and I made a crucial mistake. I took my eyes off of him for a split second, only to see him rush at me. I barely had any time to recoup from our collision and he was charging me again. Pressing my ears flat against my skull, I recoiled my head to my chest with the idea in mind that he would run at my front again, but I was wrong. He ran at me and I blinked for a moment, only to see the flighty tail behind the stag whip near my face. I pulled my head further toward my chest, tucking it in momentarily before realizing he had reached my right side after he had just distracted me with the idea that he might just focus my left. My eyes grew wide and I pushed my neck out, reaching for perhaps more room. I went to reach my head around, trying to land my eyes on Ashamin - but that failed as well. He collided with me, crashing into my right side with a force I had never felt before. I stumbled to my left, back legs slipping against the earth and scrambling to reach stability once more. At this point, all the breath I had in my lungs had escaped into a rush; a grunt thrown out into the air of the fading daylight. The swift realization that he wasn't going to play nice seemed to hit me like a brick, and I wouldn't let him down.

Once my legs had reached stable ground, I turned toward the Haruspex in a quarter of a circle, hooves raking across the earth as I reached up, rearing toward him. Aiming to land on that snake of a tail that chased after him like a madman. Hoping to land on his ever so long tail, I pushed off of my sore hind legs, extending my head from my chest in the attempts to graze my crowned horn along his right hip. I didn't want to maim him, but I did want to draw blood. He was such a kind and gentle soul, at least so I thought. I couldn't shake the emotionless gaze that had locked with mine. I just needed to remember that if he wanted me dead, chances are, I would have been already.

I did my best to catch my breath in all this movement, but I felt as though I was failing. My muscles twitched from use I hadn't known before and my body ached with bruises and pain. My blue eyes grew darker in the fading light, the dying lights of the sky graced the two of us as we danced in what seemed to me like a barbaric game of pain. I began to regret accepting his spar all together, especially knowing that Lochan could strike at any moment. I also felt as though I didn't know anything about the painted stallion anymore. Did he have any tricks under his sleeve? Would he just need to rough me up and end me? Or was it all in the name of 'good fun'? All I knew is that I did my best to treat it with a light heart, but it was hard to do with a broken heart and battered body.

"Talk."

Word Count: 711/800
Attack: 2/3
Summary: Successful in pushing Ashamin away from her, she gets distracted by having space between them. When Ashamin attacks her right side, she stumbles to the left but regains her balance after a few moments and turns partially, rearing up and aims to stamp her hooves down onto Ashamin's tail. Then she tries to cut him with her horn along his right hip.
OOC: Sorry for the delay as well!

GOT TO SLEEP,
     spent the whole night
running
image credits

ashamin
ENDURANT

The right speed, the right angle, the right place, the right time: all of these factors contributed in guiding the haruspex's body to crash into his opponent's. His aim was true, his skill building with every jerk and tense of muscle. The impact caused him to shudder with something he couldn't describe, something perhaps like success. Though an ache would bother him later, for now the shock of the impact left him without injury.

Instead, he felt pain begin to burn in his chest where she had hurt him before. He cursed silently to himself at the sensation dawning upon him, but would not let it be too great of a distraction. As Rexanna stumbled away from him and tried to regain her balance, he was alert, ready, and waiting.

No matter the speed such legs could have given her on the open plains, here with the wind and sunset hugging them tightly together, giving them never more than a moment's breathing room, he could anticipate her movements. The turning of a body in such tight quarters was, as Ashamin had learned from experience with Rikyn, something slow enough that it could be easily outmaneuvered. The haruspex snorted as she turned to face him, striding forward without turning and giving himself enough room to avoid whatever would come next.

He looked back--saw her body rise up unhindered--and frowned. Perhaps his attack had not been as effective as he had thought. Still, her awkward positioning and the time it had taken her to regain her posture gave him the opportunity he needed to get far enough away to avoid her completely.

Still, Ashamin didn't want to stray far. Whatever it was fueling this fight--for surely it was more, now, than a simple spar--was strong. His body felt stiff, his long tail was erect and raised like a banner. Carefully the haruspex positioned himself, turning his back to Rexanna's lifted forelegs. He let his weight shift to his front, bunched his hindquarters, and kicked back at them with a buck composed of more force than, were he himself, he would have used.

That seemed to be how everything was now for Ashamin, though: stronger than it should have been. As of late he had been changing, growing. Almost a year in this land and it showed. His muscles rippled, his gaze grew stern, his stride confident and long. As he threw back his head, the haruspex looked for Rexanna in the shadow of the day. Where was she, in relation to him?

Why, now, did they feel so suddenly close? And why, then, did this closeness lead to violence, of all things?

Ashamin remembered himself suddenly as a colt. He had been weak, insignificant, and dependent. He was no longer those things, he was no longer a child. Still, always, he was the painted buck, but now he was painted in blood and age. He felt strong and masculine, filled with the urge of a stallion and with blood hotter than fire.

He watched Rexanna--the way that she moved like a thief's slackened bow in the night, how he was in contrast a warrior's sword. What then happened, when sword met bow? How far did that string draw back, how deadly was the strike of its missile? Or would it simply fall to the earth, collapse beneath its own weight? What was the meaning of a magic like that, of a closeness like the one that urged him to bridge the gaps between himself and this mare?

She was not of his world, not even within his orbit. She held lovers of every kind other than Ashamin, or at the very least of every kind other than what he had been. Whether he was the same stallion now... that depended on who you asked. But what did Rexanna see, when she looked at him now in the heat of this fight? Did she see the humble haruspex or the warrior with the beat of a war drum in his breast?

Slowly he reached out like fingers to feel for her heartbeat. Slowly, slowly, he wanted to know the intimacy of her. How many beats had he pinned down and analyzed, all without thinking of the life and blood pumping through them? The most vital system in the body was before him to hear, to understand, and yet he had only ever listened. But not now, not in this fight and this passion and this certainty of needing to prove who he could be, who he maybe had already become, would he be so passive. This was what he was searching for, this was what he was missing.

Heat.

""

Image Credits

PC: 3/3, 0/1
WC: 776/800
Notes: xxx

My attempts had grown nearly desperate to try and win this spar against Ashamin. Though, it seemed like it began to be more of a failure with every try. I had hoped to stamp onto his tail and graze him with my horn, but I watched in what felt like slow motion as he stepped aside. I searched his face for something but he held this outer mask. His once boyish soul trapped beneath the muscles of the painted stag. I felt my heart race against my chest as I watched him move so fluidly, almost like a ghost was trapped within him.

I began to breathe heavier as I scanned his body as he moved his back to me, legs hadn't quite hit the ground yet as his back legs lifted off of the ground. I tried to turn my head to the left to avoid his daggers from hitting my face, all while trying to accept the fact that the impact was destined to land on my chest. Ears flattening against my skull as I came down right into his hooves. They reached my chest with a slight cracking sound and I began to feel weakness in my front legs. I stumbled backward, head swinging low to the ground as I began to cough. Heart pulsating with a mix of fear and passion. My ears stayed glued to my head, my chains draping over my head, eyes fixated on the ground.

I kept coughing for a few more moments. Then, I saw blood. My chest pulsed and throbbed with the searing heat of pain, skin broken slightly with enough to cascade my pale pelt with the hint of scarlet. The hot and sticky mess began to trickle down my chest, dripping ever so slowly to the ground. Blue eyes watching the ground for a few more moments before I found the strength to lift my head, eyes searching for his. Almost pleading for him. I watched momentarily as he gazed upon me - and suddenly I felt like a small child, scrutinized by those loved for how poorly of a job I had done. My heartbeat slowed for a few moments as I worked on catching my breath until it picked up again at the mention of his name.

"Ashamin..." I hacked to him, words broken and dripping with pain as my chest throbbed. Ears perking to him for a few moments, taking note of his stark black gaze, emotions swirling in my mind in a complex mix of the pride that seemed to radiate from him. It was admirable, in a way, but it was also shoving in thoughts into my mind that I didn't seem to understand. My heart yearned for him, the small timid creature I had met so long ago. But now it longed for him in an entirely different sense. I wanted him close to me, but not without one final push.

I inhaled the best I could between staggered breaths before pushing off with my hind legs and aiming to push into his chest with the gilded crown that adorned my head. Hoping that maybe, I could just land one more attack on him before I ended up collapsing completely. I felt pride sit within my soul to call him a friend, but I also felt a staggering difference in how I looked at him. I had always admired Ashamin, but his display of pride started a fire within me that I couldn't put out. "Please. Save me. " I whispered to him in my final strike. Suddenly, this innocent spar ignited something fierce.

"Talk."

________

Word Count: 600/800
Attack: 3/3
Summary:  Misses her attack and ends up getting punished by Ashamin. His hooves met her chest and she staggered back, violently coughing with bruising and blood showing on her chest. In her final attempt, she regains her composure, but is still very weak, and tries to use her horn to cut Ashamin's chest.
OOC: <333
GOT TO SLEEP,
     spent the whole night
running
image credits

ashamin
ENDURANT

The same flush that filled his body soon after filled his heart. He felt Rexanna's slow beat following his own, his magic recognizing a power in her breast that all had--all felt. At the moment of impact he knew that he had gone too far. When he landed, when he turned, when he heard her cough and when he sidestepped her attack (made clumsy with her injuries) he knew.

All of this, it had gone too far.

But there was nothing to say it wouldn't go farther, save for the wounds of the mare that Ashamin cared for so much. He watched her closely, black eyes narrowing in concern. The blood that dripped from her chest stained the white earth red. His ears pounded with the sounds of the fight at the blood falls. How like that scene she looked now, how like its chaos was their touch. When Rexanna began to charge at where Ashamin no longer was he wanted to stop her, stand in front of her and put a wall between this thief and the world that she threw herself into. She would have stabbed him in the chest, spiked him right in the heart, and still he wanted to stand before her. Even now, when the fight was so clearly done, Ashamin wanted to close that distance.

It was just one thing, though, that held him back. And though perhaps he had changed, there was one thing that lingered from his very first spar with Torleik the Bloodskald, since missing from Ashamin's life. He found himself frozen. As much as he wished to, as much as he wanted, Ashamin the haruspex once again could not move. So he watched, helpless, barely bruised, as Rexanna bled and hurt and still, still, pressed on.

Ashamin, she had said before the motion. Save me, he had begged in a whisper as he'd dodged. Though the haruspex didn't know what that meant, not really or exactly, he knew that he could only do one thing. As his sidestep took him farther from this passionate, gilded mare, he made a decision to stop. So he stopped thinking of this as a spar, regained slowly the mobility he had lost, and circled her back and walked towards her right. Whenever she stopped pushing, moving, trying, Ashamin would be there. He would reach out, try to touch, perhaps place his head on her withers and let the delicate warmth of his breath play on the base of her mane.

He would bring himself closer to that bleeding, hurting, agent of erotic strife and death--if only to keep them both warm.
""

Image Credits

PC: x/3, 1/1
WC: 437/800
Notes: Great spar Skylark!

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
HP gap greater than 20 :: Ashamin earns 1 VP. Rexanna earns 1 EXP.

Rexanna: 25.5
Ashamin: 57
31.5 HP difference