the Rift

[PRIVATE] I'm glad you're alive now let me fucking kill you

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

THERE'S A STORM WARNING JUST FOR YOU

The trip home was a slow and steady sort of unremarkable adventure that was all too soon over and yet all at once too long. With nearly every step Ampere could practically feel the affection ebbing away, replaced instead with that usual frustration and with it, that well rooted anger. Only weariness kept her sedate through the Flats, but with the relief and comfort of home she felt too ill at ease to simply ignore everything still. Isopia had deserved the lashing then, but now that she could plainly see her child was well, he was not without his own due.

As the bridge receded and they stood back on home turf, Ampere turned to face the little lightning that thought himself a thunderbolt. Fear mostly fueled her words, but it made them no better for it. "Zèklè," she commanded sharply, her tone that of a Gladiator calling to attention an erroneous Warrior - that's what he wanted to be after all, wasn't it? "What possessed you to act so foolishly today?" she demanded, her lips thin and her teeth tight as they settled after the words. Her eyes, as intense as ever, harrowed him for an answer. "You are not capable enough of fighting, least of all that, and what's more your untrained and reckless behavior put others in jeopardy as they tried to save you!" There, the disappointment gave way to the flare of outrage, time feeding the re-play of the scene until she'd been able to dissect it all fully. Her son or not she'd have said the same to any herd member. The battlefield was her territory and she'd not have anyone stepping out of line on it, least of all for stupid ideas like glory or Sun knows what else he was going for.

Ampere

@Gaucho @Mesec ? @Zèklè whocannotbetagged

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
I'd bring you further roses but it does you no good.

It pained Gaucho, in his own silent way, to watch Ampere bear the entire burden of Zero's injury. After all, wasn't Gaucho equally as responsible in this? Shouldn't he be? But it was clear that he wasn't - for better or worse, without his blessing or perhaps with his implied consent - Ampere was the one raising the lightning-backed boy.

"Why he there at all?" Gaucho asked - the hushed and gruff words meant only for Ampere. He knew perfectly well what children were capable of - knew that even if Ampere had told him to stay at home, that he might still have refused. And yet in everything that the blue boy did and said, it wasn't clear to Gaucho that such an order had ever been given. He didn't mean to allow judgement to creep into his voice, but it was difficult. The blue chastised the boy for being incapable, but surely, had Gaucho been a part of his formative years, that couldn't have been changed? But he had been pushed out, hadn't been allowed to be near him. Gaucho could have trained him, made the boy understand why it was he was not yet ready to enter into a battle, rather than simply telling him that he wasn't able to.

But there was that..

Still, it was unclear if Gaucho's question to Ampere was meant as lover? to his mate, from a concerned Father, or from her Sultan. His role with Ampere - and with Zero - that the lines were decidedly blurred. Still, his concern for them both, remained.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

The question slid past her mane and into her pinned ears with such a quiet that the lack of sound rattled her until her teeth clacked. In response her feathers all lifted at once, the ones at the base of her tail fanning out like a family of knives, while her head snaked around to the side to regard the Wildfire with a cold, biting stare. Her gaze held him firm for several breaths, or lack thereof, before it was finally touched by his flames and warmed; the blue swimming to life beneath the melting of the ice. Her feathers settled rapidly back to normal, so tight they laid like dragon scales in their sleekness against her body. A dryness ran against her tongue, and she wondered if it too weren't caused by the moisture evaporated in Gaucho's presence.

Under his heat, under his regard, under his inquiry she burned and the sensation made her squirm inside. Because, why was he there? That initial desire to shout at Gaucho about how she couldn't account for every tiny thing the boy did (what did she know of what he did?), or how she could barely be expected to watch him all the time (when did she watch him?), and how he was old enough to know better (what had she taught him?). Well, that initial feeling subsided and then crawled away to die inside of her with the smothering of his flames, and most importantly, the truth to his words.

In the end, she was his mother, and it was her job to oversee the rearing of her child. Gaucho, the father (she hoped), could play a role in the life of a foal, but it was not the same sort of responsibility that a mother toted around. A father cast a shadow to guide and hoof steps to fill. A father ensured safety, not just of the child, not just of the mother, but of everything they needed and used. In those regards, Gaucho had risen to the occasion without complaint. What had she done? I stayed she thought miserably. Suddenly all those original fears of failing the boy resurfaced within her, striking a certain panic that made her realize just how selfishly she'd still managed to push her precious son away. Maybe she wasn't physically running any more (wouldn't Tandavi be proud), but she was no more present for her presence.

"I can't," she whispered then, hoping her tone would not betray the terror running rampant in her thoughts; bleeding into her veins. She licked her lips before continuing, as if the movement might bring comfort or confidence, or at least something to let those tight words slide out on. "I can't do this Gaucho!" It was not immediately apparent what this she was referring to. The parenting of her child? The little family gathering between son, mother, and Gaucho? Facing the truth of her own short comings?

Surely all of them, but what she meant was this, this: "The herd is a healthy size with willing minds and able bodies," she went on, stronger now, the rattle of emotion having left her with that exasperated outcry. Embarrassed at her inabilities Ampere had since turned her gaze away, unable to see the disappointment she'd find on Gaucho's facade, unwilling to face her own reflected in the gleam of his eyes.
her nostrils flared with a sigh. "I'm running around doing two ranks, and expected to raise a son in-between it all. I just can't, I am only one horse." Her secret organization was another ingredient to the mix, but somehow she wasn't willing to complain about that; more self serving greed.

Ampere

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Silently Gaucho marveled at the hostility that scattered Ampere's previously calm exterior. She suddenly appeared larger, sparkier, and more commanding than she had moments ago, and while Gaucho had never really be afraid of Ampere in the conventional sense, he could certainly recall why it was she was such an imposing figure on the battle field. During the terse seconds that the edges of her body sharpened, he wondered if he hadn't overstepped. That Ampere might accuse him of overstepping was one thing - she accused him of all sorts of things on a fairly regular basis. But had he?

As quickly as it came, her hackles lowered. Although outwardly Gaucho had not reflected her tenseness, inwardly his mind had tightened. Arguments were certainly not his forte, especially not the more emotionally-fueled ones.

I can't do this Gaucho!

Unsurprisingly, the dun did not know to what she was referring, and the slackening of his jaw and gentle tilt of his ears backwards indicated his confusion. But as always, he kept silent on the matter, instead allowing his gaze to roam over the hills and valleys of her being, wondering how he might settle the anguish within her. As she turned away, the dun's gaze followed as if trying to inspect the invisible thoughts that lingered around her.
Upssssssset, Mara whispered unhelpfully into his mind.

As she mentioned the ranks she had to uphold as well as raising a son, Gaucho's teeth pressed together. Ampere was ... not one to complain like this. Oh sure she complained and was happy to tell him all the things he had done wrong, or needed to improve upon ... but rarely, if ever, did she complain about her work. It was something that they shared in common, this bizarre mix of love for family and being workaholics to that end. But now it was too much? From anyone else, Gaucho might have understood. He did not expect others to bear the substantial and permanent weight of the herd, for them, it was simply too much. In his more blasphemous thoughts, at times, he too thought it was too much. But these states of self doubt and weakness never lasted long.

How long had Ampere felt like this?

"What do you want to do?" He asked distractedly, his minding still reeling at the implications of her answer. Did she want to drop one title? Which one? Both? Did she merely want to be a bother to Zero?

Did she want to be here at all?

Image Credits

Perhaps some mares were capable of doing their normal herd tasks and raising children. Maybe Sohalia had been, but Ampere was not a mother by instinct, seen well enough by how lax she tended her son. Certainly they had their tended moments, her times of careful teaching, but she often acted as if he were a friend more than her child - had that attitude been what caused his premature ease with battle, or had her failure to pay attention been the cause? She was also certain though, that few horses carried as many titles as she did, plus a secret organization.

Ampere loved her work. The constant drive to fulfill duties, to sweat and toil and see something grow because of it, she had just never figured out how to put that same work ethic into relationships. Fulfilling tasks was one thing, but nurturing another horse and the ties that joined them was quite another. Gaucho somehow seemed to excel at both, a point that made Ampere feel no better about her inabilities in this moment. He was Sultan and then some, after all he dealt with her on a daily basis.

His question turned her back towards him, reluctant as she was. Though, as her head moved, her eyes seemed to remain distant, unseeing him until finally she gave another hard sigh. This was not easy; it never was with her.
With the last return of her attention upon him, the blue of her eyes flicking up towards his strong, storm-steel ones, she was prepared to answer him. What she did not expect was the uncertainty that his features mirrored. She would have heard it if she'd been of the mind, but that still might not have fortified her for the remnants of doubt in Gaucho. Her breath hitched, sure she'd utterly and completely failed him now too. She went to speak, but couldn't, her breath taken in by his gaze.

He made her weak again, but this time not with the warm throes of undeniable desire. No, this was more like disappointment and fear, and though she had always been small, Ampere finally felt it.

Her wings shifted back and forth across her back, flicking nervously while her stance tilted from one side to the other. She'd had to turn away again, unable to burn up beneath his scrutiny, not while that question was already pinching her into the dirt and the dust. Pull it together some furious part of her managed to snarl amid all the self-doubt and drowned loathing. Was it really so hard to say? No, but it was hard to do, hard to feel, hard to know what it meant, she thought stubbornly. It had to start somewhere though, because it was just as hard not to say it. She had never ignored something just because it was difficult, and though today felt like a fine time to start, she grit her teeth instead and turned her stare back to him.

"I want to drop one of my ranks." She said it as sternly and solidly as she could muster, and although she wasn't sure if that's how it ended up sounding, she tried to hold herself with the rigidity that it was. "I don't care which one," she lied easily enough, frowning as she did. "But I can only manage one." There was a pause, as if she meant to speak again, but she swallowed instead, letting the I'm sorry echo into her gut.
"Then I should be able to teach Zero properly." That was a terrifying statement to say. If she did drop a rank, and she still failed as a mother, then what would her excuse be? Maybe telling Gaucho this was a horrible mistake...

After a moment, quietly she added, "Einarr is a good prospect for Gladiator."

Ampere

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks

There was sand in his nose, which meant he was home. That was nice.

Zero blinked blearily, rising slowly from the sea of murky dreams where he'd fallen as soon as they left the disaster zone. He'd been a zombie the whole sullen adventure home, quiet and exhausted, a sleepwalking child. Healing took energy, and the boy's reserves had run quite dry. As soon as they crossed the bridge he'd quietly collapsed, knees buckling and body falling to the earth in a smooth, silent motion. Within seconds he was fast asleep.

But now he was ready to wake up. Raised voices had penetrated his dreams, causing mahogany ears to twitch; he struggled on that brink between asleep and awake, and awake finally won. It might have been because of the argument, or perhaps because his wing had begun to hurt all over again, a dull and constant ache that would remain with him for weeks. He frowned, licking at dry lips, and tried to raise his powerfully heavy head from the sand. Words drifted past him like butterflies - "What do you..." and "...drop..." and "...able to teach Zero..."

And finally it clicked, and the boy sprung awake with a vehement, desperate, "No!" He struggled to his feet, trying to ignore the pain spreading down his shoulder and into his ribs (where a mighty bruise had now formed), sunbeam eyes wide as he stared at his Ma. Was she quitting? Because of him? Was this because of what he'd done, because he'd tried to fly and failed, because she thought he couldn't handle himself? Had any of his (maybe) siblings suffered this fate? No- Gaucho had never quit for them!

Furious tears sprung to his eyes. He wasn't about to be the reason his Ma gave up on her dreams.

"Y'don' need t' quit 'cus'a me," he sputtered, his voice a babbling brook of broken words struggling to reach its destination fast enough. "'cus I'm not a baby 'm a'mos' two now Ma an' you're the best Ma ever an' I love you an' all I wan'ed was t' be strong an' brave as you, an'... an'...." He was losing his train of thought. Sleep still hung heavily to his brain, and he struck it like a train against a wall, suddenly falling silent and sullen, a harsh expression on his youthful face. He directed it toward Gaucho, and his eyes told a clear story of Hey, you can't let her do this. You guys are grown ups. Fix it.

Image Credits
- table by Niki -

@Gaucho
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

The time it took her to answer him quickened the beating of his heart, and it took all of Gaucho's war-forged strength to remain stationary. Yet his mind buzzed, preparing to hear that she wanted to leave the herd, that Zero wasn't his ... His eyes wanted to scour Ampere's body as they always did, to drink in her blue and toned physique, and to remember what her sweat tasted like. He wanted to allow himself any escape which would prevent what was coming next - what would surely follow Ampere's long drawn out silence.

I want to drop one of my ranks

Oh. Well that wasn't so bad.

As she continued, stating that she didn't care which it was, Gaucho tried not to allow the breath that left his lips to sound like a sigh of relief, though it likely did. She casually mentioned that Einarr might be a good Gladiator, which implicitly suggested that she would remain as Chancellor. If anything, Gaucho preferred it that way. It kept her closer to him, if only in a political sense, and given the truth of her words - Einarr was a good candidate - it just made sense.

But of course it did. For all of Ampere's outwards burst of emotion, Gaucho would bet that she already had this conversation thought out in her mind. Was it Zero's injury that made her finally decide to let him in on how she was feeling?

Speaking of Zero...

Gaucho's steely gaze was tugged down by the boy's stirring and his stammering speech. As always, his mind flopped between wondering about the boy's paternity and caring deeply for him regardless. Wouldn't it be strange if he ever found out that he wasn't the boys Father? That Ampere had just used him as a father-figure since he was around, was easy to blame, and also easy to sap protection from? The thought added to the weight which he still felt, despite Ampere's indication that leaving the Throat was not what was on her mind.

"Ampere not quitting." He replied, trying to sound soothing but sounding his regular amounts of rich and gruff. "Gaucho ask her to do both. It Gaucho's fault."

Was it a lie? A way for Ampere to not seem like a quitter in the eyes of her son, and for Zero to not think that his Mother was giving up her life for him? Or was it the truth? That, given no other options, Ampere had been pigeon-holed into accepting both ranks, when potentially she never wanted them in the first place?

The dun's gaze rose for a moment, trying to find Ampere's though not revealing the intention behind his words. Was the shimmer in his gaze an apology for forcing her to bear too much responsibility? Or was it just him offering her a way out?

Image Credits