the Rift

[OPEN] Where's your verse, your verb, proverb, lesson learned

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Continuation from this thread.

Defeat was an abhorrent hue. It wove together with shame, tied around his eyes, his heart, his mind, in a tethered string of black and red, guiding him to a deeper throng of understanding, regret, and rancor. Vicious, vile, and disturbing, they blinded his notions to only cursed thoughts, to poignant claws, to ripping snares, to all the wiles he’d ever consumed, to the weaknesses driven deep into his soul, flayed open and laid there for all the world to see. The pieces, the fragments, the shards, were nettled and thorned, grinding and unwinding, unfurling and distorting, drowning him in the wake of loss – he’d felt it before when he couldn’t save Arwen, when he couldn’t get enough power, when he’d accidentally burned Asch, when nothing he did ever truly seemed to matter. He’d wept then, felt hot, angry tears trail down his cheeks and settle a path of mourning down through his bones; but today he only had his own flaws and defects to lament for – and instead of falling apart at the seams, instead of curling up on the ground, he ground his teeth, he clenched his jaw, and he hated himself. Frustrated, the defiencies haunted the edges of his skull with hardened, emboldened contempt – because how could he ever think to beat down the Colossus when he couldn’t drive away a smaller opponent, how could ever hope to gain influence, power, and supremacy if he couldn’t win? Just when he thought he’d had it all: a blessing from the Sun God, information about his enemy, a shadowy corridor to travel on his wicked, winding road to hell, he’d tripped, stumbled, and fumbled. It would not be the last taste of failure, but the acrid mouthful clawed its way down his throat with such a strong, abominable conviction, that all he could do while the storm receded, while the thunder and lightning waned, was hang his head in remorse.

Not only had he lost, but he'd attempted to destroy their own Haruspex.

What a fool, he murmured to himself, lost in the dregs of pain and misery. What an idiot, he hissed, inaudibly striking across the last few droplets of rain. He was too ashamed, too sore to raise his cranium and stare at the painted stallion, staring at the ground instead, gaze settling on the rippling contortions of puddles and dampened soil. The first apology cluttered and curled along his vocals, distant and waning, and he ceased it altogether until he could drum something better, drenching it with less sighs and more sorrow. “I’m so sorry, Ashamin….” Even that seemed ineffective, but the Haruspex must have required more, so much more, than such a simple declaration, and his breath loosened, tried to give, to offer, what the world required of him now, no matter how much contempt coiled through his stomach. “I thought you were a monster,” the boy’s eyes scanned the terrain for the mask, haunting and aloof and decrepit in the dark, allowing for a child’s mind to become tormented by demons, fiends, and cretins (if he hadn’t been one himself). Only then did he lift his head, and become suddenly swallowed by a horribly, dizzying void, like he was swimming in a ferocious current, battling his way through the tides and the waves (no longer ruling those either?). His stare fought to find the others’, searching for a perilous amount of moments while he swayed drunkenly on his feet, the wounds, the battle, the aches and pains finally taking their toll on his frame. “Did I hurt you badly?” Listless and languid, as if part of someone else’s ridiculous dream, he tried to step forward, and his shoulder refused to recite the same lines; and the scion crumpled right before the anointed creature, waiting for his punishment.

OOC :: 
"speech"

credits

@Ashamin @Enna

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

Ashamin. His own name came to him from the mouths of a babe. Erebos, the boy from the cave on the night Lochan had emerged from his shell, stood before him in the dark like a battered ghost of himself. Ashamin's own jaw hung slack, his own body shuddered as all aches and pains returned to it.

The rain fell softer as he found himself in stillness. Without the sting of motion he found it to be cooling, refreshing. But nothing could wash away the shame of this confrontation--of looking his enemy in the eye, only to find it was his friend.

He felt hatred, but not for this boy. No, it was for himself and his own flash of pride as his victory had been sealed, his dominance and power asserted. The winner of their conflagration was not to be contested, Erebos' wounds stood clearly for his loss. But the sorrow in Ashamin's eyes, the understanding of his failure... that stood for a deeper sort of loss entirely.

In silence, he sent his companion away. Lochan was in much better shape than anyone else present, Lochan could find help. He heard the boy's words, the expression of his fear. Fear that Ashamin had been a monster. The heart broke at the sound of words like that. The mind died.

Slowly, he approached the boy whom he'd treated as foe. "I am fine... I am fine. I am--" Ashamin swallowed as he leaned forward to press his nose gently upon the younger buck's cheek. It was the only sign of affection he could offer now, and though Ashamin said he was fine his body still shook, his bruises still burned. He wanted to say he was sorry, he wanted to fall upon his knees and cry God save me from my guilt and this boy from my harm! God save the world from wickedness and storms from such evil shades as us, two fellows tricked into blows. We are nothing but lost, my God, my Gods, just lost.

But he couldn't bring himself to say it. Ashamin could only press closer, step closer. "I am sorry," he could whisper at least, his mouth dry and voice cold. "I should have known better," he spoke with the hush of a prayer.

And it was true; he should have known far better.

""

Ashamin

@Enna @Erebos
--No need to tag me, just poke me on skype.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks
THEN I WILL FOLLOW YOU IN TO THE DARK

Something is off, different, in the way that he stands; his head low where it should be held tall, his body sagging and hunched and tired where it should be full of youth. For a moment you simply watch, your body stilling even as the little deer tries to lead you closer, unsure of the need for your presence, unable to clearly see their wounds, smell the blood through the rain. Your eyes flicker to Ashamin, the way that he, too, seems too tired to be so far from home, but you do not connect the two together, do not hazard a guess to what had happened. “What are you two even doing out here? It’s the middle of the night, you—” you could get hurt. Your words stop as you catch yourself, not willing to withstand the backlash that your chiding would bring, unwilling to face the hypocrisy of your worry. It hadn’t ever occurred to you that leaving the Basin could ever be dangerous, not when you had done it, but seeing the two of them out in the middle of a storm looking so utterly miserable has triggered something of a protective need, a need that neither of them would have any use for.

“I found Lochan—rather, he found me. I think the storm may have scared him.” You press closer to the pair now, and though suspicion of the situation has begun to grow within your heart, you try your best to ignore it, wanting them to be safe, wanting everything to be alright, as if that is enough to make it so. Even still the silence persists, and once more you decline the existence of the chill that runs down your spine, the spark of fear that kindles in your veins.

“Erebos?” It is then that he takes a step forward, then that his strength seemingly fails him and you find yourself lunging to catch him before he can fall, before he can hurt; but you are not quick enough, and as he collides with the wet earth you fall next to him, your knees bruising hotly with the impact, wild eyes searching his body for the rhythm of breathing. “I'm here,” It is only then that you see the wounds that litter his body, smell the blood that has smeared on your muzzle from touching his shoulder, glance to Ashamin once more only to see that he had hardly been touched by whatever had happened to Erebos. Without hesitation you push the accusations and questions that swell within your mind away, push the desire to scold them like children down, down—and reach for the magic that had been bestowed on you, shut your eyes to the drum of the rain as it exudes from you in waves.  

Only as your breaths come hard and heavy, your body too exhausted to do anything more that you stop, move to place a kiss upon his crown, resting your head gingerly against the crest of his neck. Only now that you have done what you can do you delve into the void that occupies your chest; all of the doubt and the shock and the fear of seeing him—a boy that had seemed so utterly untouchable, so fearless and young, a boy that has sunk in under your skin—fall, the weight of what it would mean to lose him, your face growing hot as heavy tears streak down your cheeks. “I'm here.”

It'll be alright, you'll be alright.

image credits

@Erebos
sorry she mostly ignored ashamin? ><
i dont know where to fit more about him in, since she's so so focused on erebos, since he's worse for the wear
she does reach her magic for ashamin too, however (:
as always, i've left it open so you guys can determine how much you want her to heal♥

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
There was no strength in him now, no virility, no brawn, no might, no fortitude. Exhaustion reeled and clawed over his skull, his mind, until his head was filled with nothing but anguish and a strange, floating fog; mulling over what it meant to be weak. He never thought himself delicate, fragile, or vulnerable, never truly immersed himself amidst indignity and disgrace, but it pummeled him so mercilessly now, rasping, tearing, clawing – and he felt the ache of scorn past all the broken parts of his frame, the taste of bitterness slide over his mouth and down his throat – because everything always seemed to amount to nothing. He’d always cherished his resolution, cultivated and triggered and incensed the bloody revolutions screeching amidst his sentiments, but they’d been so callously struck down, so soullessly torn apart, and he didn’t know where they’d gone; vanished and vanquished just as easily as his body. The little beast thought he’d been a part of Hell before, one more demon and infidel taken from the Mephistophelean rites and pedestals, another cretin in the making, another shard intending to break apart his enemies. What a glorious thing to have been: a harpoon, a sword, a cutlass, a rapier, forged in steel and determination, in death and desecration, in unholy frames and venomous, vehement barbs – but the Haruspex had proven to him that he was nothing, no more than a speck of dust, no more than a grain of sand. The truth struck him terribly, digging down into his heart, into his lungs, into his soul and plucking at all those strings of anarchy until they simply died down, became quiet shards and fragments. Perhaps he’d never honor the Sun God and all his wisdom (was this what he’d meant, in those curling veins of fire and sagacity, that the boy would have to be more than just power – because even that faded, even that could be pierced and popped and scalded?). Perhaps he’d never avenge Arwen and all her shy smiles and furtive whims. Perhaps he’d never annihilate his enemies. Perhaps this was Fate’s way of assuring the lad, the youth, the scion, that he no matter how hard he tried, no matter how many miles he wandered, no matter how many schemes he concocted, he’d always amount to naught in the end. The boy who’d built his temple on fires and ferocity, on blazes and barbarity, watched himself, his goals, his aspirations, become ash and soot.

Like a fading ember, he collapsed upon the ground, barely registering Ashamin’s words through the seething cloud hovering through his membrane. His vision swam, flickering, dying images of puddles and ruin, abominations and deceit, the lacquered world where he’d finally tumbled from his pier, until he closed his eyes and listened to the sullen sound of the fading rain. I am fine, some echo said, repeating in an odd, ashamed refrain, as if the voice had anything to be remorseful and penitent about – it’d been the Lilliputian demon and his ambition for greatness, for ichor, for damnation that had caused the entire fray – and Orsino had enough sense to simply remain eerily, utterly silent, laying his head on his bonded’s front hooves. I am sorry, it said through the mist, and Erebos, had he been capable, would have snorted, would have laughed, would have darkly courted some whispering courtyard in hell and buried himself in it. 

But then another’s voice ricocheted, cutting through the dull, throbbing void, the listless, languid din, and all he could do was shield his face from hers, brushing it against the damp, sodden ground, searching for a way to remain hidden from her stare, from her snare. The prince didn’t want anyone else to see the weakened, fragile fool he’d become, shackled and bleeding, defeated and exhausted, nothing, nothing, nothing. He was supposed to be the trickster, the cretin, the gallant, intrepid youth battling storm after storm, assailing foe after foe, cackling at jokes and cajoling others to join his makeshift fray – he was supposed to be abhorrence and vengeance, vehemence and violence, destiny on his shoulders and strength in his muscles; not this broken, pathetic little child. His lips maneuvered in silent prayer, begging her not to see his crumpled frame, his feeble drained figure, hoping she wouldn’t find him in all the darkness, in all the oblivion, turning his head away from her voice, too afraid to search for her in the shrouds, in the veils of his blighted stars. Had he had the power, he might have even fled, running away from the scorn, the stupidity, the idiocy consuming the strained, taut moments. Please don’t see me like this, he pleaded through the throng; but he felt Orsino shake his head against his leg, and her melody billowed thereafter; too late. Ashamin’s companion had summoned her, had known the picture of loss and defeat, had called her to see what had become of her fellow mischief maker, and some part of him knew he’d never be the same again in her eyes.

He still couldn’t look at her, couldn’t turn his frame towards where she likely stood, gazing down at him in disbelief, wonder, or disappointment. He hoped it wasn’t the latter, because he already couldn’t forgive himself, and if he somehow managed to disenchant her too…the thought died off on a croak, on a slashed spark of dismay, attempting to stop her from pending rituals. “Enna, don’t-“ The lad heard her fall next to him, felt the rush of warmth of her figure nestled near his, listened to the enchanting lull of her voice, I’m here, she said, and he was twisted in being grateful, being content, being happy that she was at his side, and ashamed, sheepish, mortified she’d become part of his cycle of weakness. He thought to fight against the tempest of magic flooding his senses, to force it away from his structure, from his sentiments; to not be mended at all, for he’d attacked one of his own, for he’d been beaten and trounced and he was receiving his just desserts. “I deserved it,” he muttered through his lips, too tired, too drained, too lifeless to do anything but be entranced, beguiled, and allured by the sweeping hands of time; just as he’d been intoxicated by her those seasons before, laughing at the way she stomped amongst the Threshold, queen of thorns and barbs, stinging and sweet all at once. A sigh trickled along his mouth, billowed through the rain and torment, allowing the agony to pass away, the wounds to heal, the open lacerations on his shoulder stitching back together as if naught had happened at all. 

He could feel her worry and he hated himself for it all over again, twisting his head around to stare at her, to feel the light kiss placed on his crown (it felt broken and loose, might discarded, fallen somewhere amidst the rain and torture), to extend his maw against hers in a show of his existence, tangibility. The boy lowered his mouth to her shoulder, pressed it close, murmuring the weight of his actions across her skin, “I was stupid.” I still am, he wanted to say, but he just stayed bowed against her, hiding all over again; cowardly, not daring to stare at Ashamin again, not daring to face any more of the truth. 

credits

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

Ashamin sighed with relief when Enna arrived. She came on four delicate hooves, in such a small container, and yet with the power of a goddess. The tendrils of her power came delicate and kind, reaching out for the youngest of them with pure intention and the God of the Spark's ancient magic.

Ashamin stood alone, shaking, and solitary. He was shaking from the cold, maybe, or the shock belatedly settling into his bones with the rain. His eyes felt dark and deep, like pits in the recesses of his skull. It became difficult to see. The world felt gouged away from him, his understanding and footing lost. What was he but floating in some sort of amoral point of confusion?

It was only Lochan that could bring the haruspex back to reality. The dwarfed cerndyr walked back to his bonded with shy reassurance--pressed his marked brow to the stallion's knee and held himself there. They stayed still. They were silent. They watched Enna do her work, watched Erebos try to push her away. But his words were the saddest part, and when Ashamin heard them at last he was made to act himself. He found, somehow, the ground beneath his feet.

He stepped forward carefully, on hooves made for the earth, and moved closer to the healing mare. He extended his nose to her cheek, the greeting he employed with all. He looked at her, shared a side glance with Erebos. "Thank you, Enna," he said calmly, solidly before turning to the younger one. "Erebos, don't doubt yourself. Neither of us could have predicted we'd run into wolves tonight, would we? This is unfamiliar territory, for all of us."

It was a lie. The haruspex did not often lie. But this was a moment when the lie felt necessary, the blow to both of their prides not worth taking publicly. They hurt enough on their own, within their hearts. They both knew that they had made a mistake. As far as Ashamin was concerned, the rest of the herd didn't need to as well.

""

Ashamin

@Erebos
@Enna

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks
THEN I WILL FOLLOW YOU IN TO THE DARK

Enna, dont—’ His plea falls on deaf ears. You do not hesitate, your practiced movements do not cease in utter refusal to pay any heed to his boyish, senseless pride. It hadn’t been up to him in the first place; from the moments (and now it seems that they had passed so, so terribly slow) that he had quivered, his strength failing him, fallen to an uncertain end, it had not been up to him; you would not be the one to step aside meekly, let him wallow in his pain, not when you could help him, willing or not. ‘I deserved it,’ A rush of anger comes to you then, hot and overwhelming, your teeth gritting together before his sentence truly even finishes. If it weren’t so counterproductive, you might have been tempted to give him something to remember the immense stupidity of his words by. “No one deserves to be in pain.” The lie comes softly, easily, even as the faces of men, of beasts, ensnare your mind, their names, their deeds, like vices around your heart. For the things that they have said, the evil things that they have done, they deserve to know what it is to lose, to suffer, to writhe in the anguish, the loneliness, they have condemned themselves to. But Erebos? Even in all of his devilry, his cunning, cutting smiles, never.

It is the Haruspex’s touch, a presence that you had nearly forgotten in all of your fear, that finds you, warms the damp lines of your cheek. He thanks you, and you find the courage to smile before resting your head against your prince’s neck, his leaning against your shoulder. ‘I was stupid.’ It is not what you expected to hear from the ever-confident boy, his words far too heavy in all the defeat that they hold. You quiver against him, breathing out heavily in an uneven sigh, uncertain of the words to say to make anything better, easier for him to swallow. “You’re being stupid now,” and so you don’t, the words caught between anger and an attempt at a quip, a huff of breath coming out in place of a laugh. It is Ashamin that provides the words of comfort then, provoking a smile to cling to your lips, only hoping that it works to console him, if only a little bit, only for a while. ‘…Neither of us could have predicted we’d run into wolves tonight, could we? This is unfamiliar territory, for all of us.

“Wolves?” Your head snaps to the Haruspex’s dark shape then, your eyes wide, body fidgeting against the damp skin of the forlorn boy, as the level of danger the two had found themselves in, the danger that surrounds you now, begins to sink in, become clear. “It leaves me to wonder why the two of you chose a time such as this to do your... adventuring.” It is not entirely unexpected of Erebos in all of his youthful, foolish bliss, too content in tempting fate (though it lures a worried, pleading gaze), however, for as little as you know the Haruspex, he had always seemed too cautious to put himself so far in to harm’s way. Before either of them can question your own wanderings, you clumsily climb your way to your feet, a half-nervous glance tossed to the lingering shadows. “Let’s go home,” it is a quiet plead, your muzzle reaching to brush Erebos’ cheek, offering gentle encouragement. “Or at least get away from here.”

image credits

@Erebos

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Wolves, Ashamin had said, bleeding and blending into a lie fitted to the boy’s noose, wrapped and knotted and gnarled together. He wanted to defy it automatically, to let the seething rasp of his turmoil elongate along his lips and past his mouth, to etch and sketch and carve its way through their humanity, because he’d been beaten, he’d been tarnished, and it should’ve amounted to his poor, inept distinction. He didn’t want to be in the Haruspex’s debt, clinging to the chords of their fabrications (the lad would always hold his pretenses, his duplicities, but didn’t crave being chained to another’s). Perhaps his father would know of his failure. Maybe someone else down the road would hear his name on the manifestos of losses and defeats, laugh and chuckle and scorn, but he’d earned those regards, those humiliations, those harsh, unrelenting whips of shame. Would it make him weaker, fragile, if he fled from his follies? How far would his lies go? Would everything around him be a specious mirage, a corporeal hallucination, a tangible spell of deceit and torment, and the closer they all came, the more they were swallowed, deeper and deeper, until he consumed their flesh, their bones? The sentiments were difficult to face, to master, to control and contort.

Ashamin was offering him a way out. A path to slink and slither upon and forget it ever happened, to forgo the canals of weakness and the sad, sullen lives they’d come to lead.

But he wouldn’t forget – Erebos knew that much. It would wound him every day, to taste the blunt, caustic edges of failure. It would blind him, scar his sights, mutilate the way he maneuvered, the way he carried himself. He’d always be a beast with a weight on his shoulders and an ax to grind. He’d always be marred, impaired, blemished from the perception of his ignorance, and seek to restore it as best he could.

The prince could have stayed in Enna’s presence for the rest of the evening, ignoring her lectures and diatribes, merely clinging to the endless monotony of another day survived. But he didn’t want her to see him like this again – one more fragile, stupid little boy wandering the plains, incapable of getting out of his own unrelenting, soulless path. He needed to be tougher, braver, brazen, and audacious. He needed to grow, needed to change, needed to learn from these barbaric circumstances. There would always be more savage cretins than him. There would always be stronger beings than him. What he did, how he concocted, how he orchestrated and laid out his plans, would solidify the result.

He simply hadn’t done enough.

No one deserves to be pain - he wanted to laugh. He wanted to cry. He wanted to bite and snatch and sneer, be a brute, be a malicious, asinine fiend and chase off the wounds no longer plaguing him, the lacerations cutting through his fatigued mind.  But instead, he ignored. He knew what he merited. They all did.

Enna pulled away and Erebos did the same, gathering the renewed strength in his limbs, in his muscles, she’d proffered upon him. “Thank you,” he spun from his lips, giving forth one lingering touch upon her shoulder, but incapable of glancing towards her eyes (she didn’t need to see what flickered there, she didn’t need to register those small, fragile emotions flaring and breathing and brewing beneath the haunting snare of his gaze), before riveting his stare towards the Haruspex, the painted man, the one who bore skulls in the dead of night. “I thought one was a bear…” he courted, one half of a cheeky smile resting in his lips, delving only partly into the masquerade, before a sinister thought rustled through his mind, savage and untamed, and he didn’t know if it had come from him or Orsino. “If we meet them again, perhaps the result will be different.” His head tilted, and an ominous lilt rang through his cranium, wild and free, feral and ferocious.

When it returned to its former position, he felt Enna’s maw reach along his cheek, and the devilry disappeared, as if it had never been there at all. “Home sounds wonderful.”

credits