the Rift

[OPEN] kindness falls like rain

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd

There are times I believe that I am ready. There are times that the burden of youth, naivety, and a life short-lived are behind me. I am confidence, I am ready. I am Rhoa, the burning. Rhoa the dying ember. There is peace in that, in knowing that I have moved past the obstacles that loomed tall and large over me in youth. But then ... even though they are behind me, so is the sun. And so, necessarily their shadows trail and dance and harass me. They come without warning or apology, darkening my path. But when I look back, of course I see only the sun and the far-distant looming villains of my past. They are so far...and yet ...  yet sometimes the world is still dark.

I inhale deeply. The salty sea air is distasteful, but I don't mind. Something about its acridity is soothing. Everyone feels this unpleasantness, and so feeling it now doesn't feel quite so abrasive. I feel connected to the rest of the world in my dislike of the salty air, and so I inhale it all the deeper to try and rekindle the connection that I have with them.

Them. The world. 

There is no world without them.

Ah. Such thoughts are inescapable. They linger in the back of my thoughts, washing away my sanity and my fortitude. I long for love, but I can only love. Only Mother and Ivezho, untarnished in my memory, are worthy of my love. The rest of them? Zenobia? Father? Hawke, Aelin? They are too beautiful for my imperfections. The ash that batters my wings would smear and darken then in a way that I don't think I can stand. 

And so I stand here, inhaling the salt.

rhoa
these seconds when i'm shaking leave me shuddering for days

@Zenobia

Ivezho Posts: 71
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0 hh :: 5 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Zhoroakah :: Wedge-tailed Eagle :: None Whit
Ivezho
"Rhoa," it is a breath on the breeze, a suggestion, a passing sentiment, a forgotten memory. A brief and precious moment, where one brother sees his twin and wants so desperately to reach out, to run and jump and play like they did when they were so much smaller and younger, without these years of time and leagues of distance stretched between them. Without the awkwardness of his silence and avoidance, without the unavoidable journey he followed his mother on, without the feelings of sheer betrayal and hurt and confusion caused by something so stupid like not knowing what the fuck to say when you saw him again.

What was there to say? Everything - and yet, nothing at all. What did brothers have to say to each other?

Brothers with a past like they had, surely had plenty to say to each other.

I love you, he wanted to say, yet the thought of it terrified him. I hate that we are this way, he wanted to proclaim, but the fear of having to shoulder so much of the responsibility as to why they were this way frightened him. I am weak, hopeless, nothing without you, he wanted to shake his brother until he understood just how much he meant to him. Rhoa, his brother, his twin, they were meant to be together always, but they weren't - could they fix this?

Ivezho was hoping, praying (to who, he didn't know anymore), betting that they could. Perhaps the odds would be against him. Perhaps he was a fool walking into a pit of hungry, ravenous snakes, as deadly as his father's companion.

Or maybe he was finally heading towards somewhere right.

"I fucked up, brother." His voice was rough, deep, his chords having adjusted since testosterone flooded his veins. Bright, viridian eyes sought out the gaze of his brother's teal gaze, as he pleaded to his twin to at least acknowledge his existence. Long, limber legs walked his lanky body near him, the sound of the bloody waterfall crashed somewhere in the distance - but he only saw the stallion before him, and the fracture kinship that separated them.

@Rhoa I SAW AN OPEN RHOA THREAD I POUNCED.

veerdesigns | larfsalot
on deviantart

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd

[SCREAMS]

As always, even as a ghost, Ivezho burned with more brilliance than I. Molten ash swarmed his entire body, as if the beautiful light of his soul was softly burning him from the inside out. And it probably was - for he wasn't actually here. He was gone, of course, with Mother. I see Ivezho often, in my dreams and the foggy ambiguous moments when I am restless and my judgement lapses. I must be more tired than I thought, to see him now. And so close!

My gaze regards him uninterestedly; ghosts after all, should not be stared at for too long, lest they tempt you to join them.

He says my name, as he usually does in these moments. My heart lurches, but not quite as much as it once did. I am used to hearing him call my name across the distances that separate us. Today he sounds louder, his voice more powerful in some hard to specify way, but my mind waves away these thoughts. I am tired, I think suddenly feeling much more weary than I realized I was.

I fucked up, brother.

Panic. Anxiety. Adrenaline. Fear. It is a flash storm of emotions within my breast, and my breath hitches in my throat as I now turn to regard him with wide-eyed wonder. Those words ... those were not the words my ghostly brother usually speaks to me. Normally he asks me to find him, to join him in the death that he and Mother have succumbed to. He doesn't ... he doesn't curse, and he doesn't ... his voice doesn't... his smell doesn't...

His words resonate in the air. I smell him in a way that make me joyful. My eyes take in the flecks of dust, of sweat, of magic that line his body. The way his feathers gently brush against the air. He has never looked so real..

Because if he is real ... that only means he will leave again.

Suddenly I am standing on a hill, just a boy, calling to my brother across the sands. We are young, and he has come back. He promises to stay. And then?

He was already a ghost then.

How are you here? How are you .. but please don't go.

I am Rhoa the confused. I only know how to be Rhoa the solitary, and yet I am now whole.

As long as you stay

"Sometimes that happens.." I respond, now squarely facing him. I want to spread my wings, to embrace him, but don't, out of fear. I expect him to vanish beneath my touch, and stupidly I am allowing this hallucination to last. It would be better to wave him away and to keep my fractured heart preserved beneath its layers of pain and darkness. To let his light in is only to invite inevitable heartache. But I can't turn him away.

I've never been able to.

"Such is life." I conclude, because really, what is there to say? He can't apologize for what's happened, it couldn't possibly make up for what has happened. Surely he has his side, and I have mine, and never will those stories be reconciled. All we can do is move forward, but how?

rhoa
these seconds when i'm shaking leave me shuddering for days

@Zenobia

Ivezho Posts: 71
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0 hh :: 5 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Zhoroakah :: Wedge-tailed Eagle :: None Whit
Ivezho
"No," he rebuffs, even as he heard the words, as he watched his brother's actions - or inaction, as it were. No, he kept thinking, I'm too late, I'm too late, he panicked - for he looked at his brother, at his world, and all he saw was a dead man, a husk, a shell of what used to be so brilliant and passionate and vibrant. Ivezho may be a glowsitck, but whatever it was that glowed within him glowed because he had a brother who was magnificent and strong, a family who were passionate and great - but no, that wasn't what he saw, it wasn't what Rhoa was anymore - he is broken, he is dead, look at him, I'm too late -

Was it a curse of siblings to always think better of the other, and always worse of one's self? Was it a curse to always believe that your life revolved around the other's existence, however great or small, to measure one's own failures against all of their successes? Ivezho thought so. Because what then happened when you saw your sibling begin to flag, to fade, to succumb to their ghosts and demons and whatever else has happened to them while you were gone? You still measured your failures against theirs, and still found yourself to be worse - for if my better half is walking like a dead man risen, what one earth am I?

Am I dead?

Fear cut through him as he watched the dejected, posture of his sibling, crouched and pondering over god-knows-what. I've killed him, kinslayer kinslayer they'll call me, no no, this can't be right- a spark of life seemed to leap through his body as his generous wingspan spread, his façade came to meet his own head on. Sometimes that happens he said, and Ivezho wanted to bark a laugh out - Rhoa always made him laugh, always knew just what to say, while he was left fumbling for words, socially awkward and silent and left behind (or leaving). But he just kept looking at his brother, his twin in body and build (but his opposite otherwise, with his dark hues and his wisdom), and he wanted more from him, more life, more anger, more

"Bullshit." The words were spoken harshly, with a tongue that ordinarily avoided such truncated, rogue words to get his point across. "Bullshit," he said again, allowing his words to be coloured by the anger and frustration (and fear) he felt.

"You're wrong, life isn't meant to be like this. Not for us. Never for us." He wanted to shake his brother, to wake him up. He wanted to feel Rhoa's rage, to unlock the beast, to atone for the wrong's he had done to him by receiving his wrath without obstacle. "I fucked up, royally, Rhoa. You're meant to be, to be, I don't know.." he wanted to cry, but he swallowed the sobs down his gullet in a rough estimation of a cough between words. "You're supposed to hate me," he pleaded, wanting to feel his brother's hate, for surely that would be better than receiving this nothing, this void.

@Rhoa

veerdesigns | larfsalot
on deviantart