the Rift

[OPEN] Make me Stronger [Moon or Spark]

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

The haruspex and cerndyr arrived in the dead of night. This was a holy land, a hallowed ground where Ashamin feared he did not belong. Despite being the seer, despite having in fact done his job and SEEN all four Gods, he felt inferior and lacking ever still. These were his faults, exposed in the shadow and laid to bare before the strange altars gathered together amid the blue streams of lava and the high, jutting rocks.

Lochan was wide awake. The young companion stared with white eyes into the shadow, as if seeing something that the buck did not. His small tail flickered, a white flag breaking up the blackness and calling for someone, something, to receive them.

Ashamin did not dare speak. He did not dare ask for more than he had already been given. He lived a quiet and humble life; to journey here, so far from his own small existence, already felt like a breach of some holy contract.

But he had only written it for himself. Was it really agreement if the other party was so silent? The persistence of such immortality, held above and far beyond him, would have driven him mad were he still alone in the wilderness. Perhaps it was good that he'd not found Gods before his integration into this land and its northernmost herd. Perhaps even a religious salvation would have done him no good--merely led him to a more miserable life. To a quiet end in the snow, fueled by insanity.

That death, at least, would have been an end. The haruspex thought of his troubling conversation and experiences with Tiamat just a season or so before. He paced, lashed his serpentine tail in his wake and let sparks fly from the coil that decorated it. What if the Gods would see in him that ancient longing for an end? What if they made it come true?

"" ""
ASHAMIN

image credits

Using:
COTM VOTG pass

Questing for:
Magic::LightxSpark:: Able to manifest his/another's heart as a creature made of harmless electricity which can be hurt/killed. All damage done to the vulnerable manifestation harms its source.
Restriction: Lasts 30 seconds in battle. Requires permission outside of battle.

Would also like to use my 5 small items to make a large item and receive the following (wording approved with Brit):
Item. Offensive. Spiked spinal piece made of sharpened black antlers carved with gold runes. Attached via leather around throat latch, breast, and girth.

@Mythical Request

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

"I like gifts you know-" The Goddess appeared in a smoky representation of herself, hovering over her shrine. Her eyes sparkled like diamonds through the smoke as she looked down at the Haruspex, who looked lost both in navigation, as well as in life. "Did my brother give that to you?" She asked, her smoky nose creasing in disdain. "It looks like the sort of tacky accessory he would offer -" Her gaze seemed to look right through Ashamin, focused only on the bauble and some memory that the Haruspex wasn't privy to. Snapping out of it - and snapping into a tangible form, the Goddess shook her head as if dismissing her rudeness. 

"But it looks fine on you dear, just fine."

Her hooves touched down upon the stones as her body finally solidified.The Goddess' silvery gaze appraised Ashamin with an unfettered judgement, looking him up and down, before stopping on his blackened eyes.

"Now why is it that you're here? So far from your cold cave and my brother's oh so watchful stare?"

When she arrived, Ashamin could not help but hear the faintest sense of relief. He may have hated himself for it, were he aware of its twinge, but it was true. The God of the Spark had made him wait and offered him nothing but a sarcastic and biting tone that Ashamin was not yet tough enough to withstand.

In time, the haruspex would be better suited to his own God. But when the Goddess of the Moon arrived and appeared to be not so cruel as her brother, it was a blessing. She was as beautiful as she had been when he had first seen her in the Green Labyrinth, but here she was in her element. To see her here was to see her in a place of pride. So many, Ashamin was sure, had worshipped her.

What could they find to fault?

As if embarrassed, he curled his snakelike tail forward and around his hind legs. The rope of it ceased his motion, too. It was a good way to force himself to rest--to mask the quaking of his limbs before the Goddess. Ashamin had been shocked but Lochan had not moved a muscle the entire time. Where he had watched, the Goddess had appeared in smoke. The Goddess' presence now only affirmed the companion's attention to the stirring of magic in the wind. Perhaps it was luck or perhaps it was the dark magic that Lochan possessed and Ashamin did not, but no matter what it showed the way they complemented each other.

"This coil? It was gifted to me by a spirit on the night of Lochan's birth. Whether it was sent by the God of the Spark, I do not know..." Ashamin tilted his head at the memory of the watcher, such a strange singing shadow, "...but it had a beautiful voice, and it sang the most mournful of songs."

Of course, memory was likely tricking the haruspex. Lochan looked up at his bonded now with white eyes that, though appearing blank, were searching. Was that really how Ashamin remembered the watcher's song? Was that really the truth of the matter?

Ashamin looked at the Goddess now, watched her face turn softer; why it had been branded by a frown at all, he did not know. Those memories were not something he was privy to--not now, perhaps not ever.

When she touched the earth and brought herself into his realm for a time, his breath caught before her gaze. Perhaps it was not as soft as she thought, perhaps she too had some disdain for the haruspex. What was it about him, he wondered, that warranted such looks? Was this simply how it always was? He was humbled as always, humbled as before. Slowly, Ashamin returned to what he had been.

Ashamin was shy before her. His hocks turned with a nervous energy. When she asked him a question he found himself without an answer until his companion impatiently nudged his knee. Why was he here? Ah, yes.

"I wish to be made stronger," he said with a quiver in his voice but a confidence in his heart. "The magic that I have is a boon, but I wish to do more for my herd. The same electricity that powers my and so many hearts... I can only imagine how many I could aid if it could be made manifest."

He tried to meet her gaze--to match coal with diamonds. Would she respect that, or should he look away?

"" ""
ASHAMIN

image credits

Update--
Questing for:
Magic::SparkxDark:: Able to manifest his/another's heart as a creature made of harmless electricity which can be hurt/killed. All damage done to the vulnerable manifestation harms its source.
Restriction: Lasts 30 seconds in battle. Requires permission outside of battle.

Same:
Would also like to use my 5 small items to make a large item and receive the following   (wording approved with Brit):
Item. Offensive. Spiked spinal piece made of sharpened black antlers carved with gold runes. Attached via leather around throat latch, breast, and girth.

@Mythical Request

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Helovian Ancient
Admin

"It looks like the type of thing he'd give.." She replied with a shrug of her delicate shoulders. Her brother lacked any sort of creativity or originality. A coil? That sparked? Of course he would. "But if there was any sort of singing involved, then perhaps not ... He doesn't have the best voice, you know." Not like she did.

To be made stronger? That certainly sounded mundane. Wasn't that always what the mortals wanted? To be stronger, better? To be - ... how many I could aid if it could be made manifest. How boring. But then, she supposed she shouldn't be too frustrated with him. Better that he be complacent than come to her seeking world domination. Now that she would have found annoying.

The Goddess peered into the depths of Ashamin's mind, searching for just what he had in mind. Therein she found the heartbeat magic that he already had, and referenced. She saw what it would be like to manifest that energy outside of the body, and snorted more or less approvingly. 

Though she only approved because she couldn't fathom how such magic could actually help anyone. Was he lying to her? Or to himself? She decided it was the latter. 

"So. To be made stronger.." She mused, her lips turning upwards in a delicately mischievous smile, "..is a comparative class. Stronger than something. And so even if you wish to help your precious herd, you must in some sense make yourself stronger than they are. There are two ways of achieving this ... By being stronger, or by making them weaker...The decision is yours."

Ashamin must either 1. Make himself stronger by: enduring attacks by 4 of the primary elements (So just because something is waterxlight doesn't count as two - it would count as whatever the primary output of the magic would be. For instance, although lava magic is earthxfire, it would count as 'fire', since lava is primarily fiery. ) or 2. Must intentionally maim/wound/hurt someone in his herd (physically).

The Goddess spoke, and Ashamin listened with consummate care. He noticed, for a mere second, that he stood at her exact height. Perhaps in this way alone, they were equal. But he knew better than to think that, knew better than to figure that the form she bore before him now was her truest one. Had he not just seen her as mist and dark, as shadow and smoke?

No, this was a goddess. She was something and everything more than he was. In his humility, he would never dare to think otherwise.

As she dismissed the trinket's origins, he too followed. It was not the point of the matter, here. He had wandered to the veins and been met by her. He was her audience, to her he would listen. And when she pondered on his own words, considered and turned them, he knew that was what he had to be thinking of. His coal eyes watched attentively, his long tail flickered and hovered ever so slightly above the ground. Lochan was still--entranced.

She was correct; strength was comparative. So the question was what would his point of comparison be: himself or his herd? Her logic was straightforward enough, but the implied difficulties of its moralities tripped the haruspex up. Hurt his own herd? He could not picture it. He loved them all, cared for them all. Not now, and so he falsely thought not ever, would he have the animosity within him required to harm a member of the basin with such cruel and selfish intent.

But maybe the haruspex did not know the extent of his limits, yet. These were things that perhaps he would learn.

Still, standing before her, the answer was clear. "If one must be weakened before they can gain strength, the plant before it grows back again tougher, then let me take that pain upon myself," Ashamin said. He thought of those in life who had taught him--he thought of honor. To say anything else would be a horrible thing, he thought. Certainly, he was not the kind who could just hurt for his own gains. "I will do as you ask, and return to you with the injuries you require," he said.

Ashamin didn't think about fear as he stared into the darkness that surrounded the moon's mistress and her shrine. He didn't think about the sheer horror and pain his body would need to endure to complete the task, he thought only this: never, never could I hurt the ones I care for with such cruelty.

But oh, how wrong he was.

"" ""
ASHAMIN

image credits

Ashamin is picking the first quest: to take the injury upon himself.

Q: What do you mean by 4 of the primary elements? Does this mean:
All 4: earth, wind, fire, water
One element from each God
Or just pick 4 from all the elements? (This is how I understood it)
I want to be sure, everyone I talk to has a different interpretation than me. ;-; I understand that one magic can't count for two, even if its a hybrid magic.

@Mythical Request

Helovian Ancient
Admin

"What sort of plants does my brother keep, that somehow grow stronger once stepped upon?" She quipped with a lilted laugh. It did not surprise her in the least that Ashamin had picked the option which had resulted in no harm to those around him..though she had hoped that maybe his soul was made of sterner stuff. But then, mortals and their misguided ethics...

"You would." She said, shrugging off his choice as uninteresting. "But feel free to heal yourself before you come back...these stones are grimy enough without adding your blood and charred flesh." A bemused smile twisted her lips as she flicked her leonine tail towards some accumulated dust and leaves.

Oh, she knew that Ashamin was doing the heroic thing - the thing that would encourage his hero's journey,  that would develop the fortitude of his mind and body but ... oh couldn't for once they pick the interesting option? The Goddess sighed away this train of thought, as she nodded concisely to Ashamin.

"When you return we'll see what a strong little sapling you've become." She laughed with a sound like a thousand tiny twinkling bells. Perhaps it was better Ashamin was taking the more difficult option, it would be amusing in its own way. "Until then.." With that, her body disappeared into the darkness.

We have 8 base elements light, fire, wind, dark, earth, water, time, spark. So it has to be 4 attacks from those. So yes, he can just pick, as long as they are all 'different feeling'.