the Rift

[PRIVATE] Coal Smudged Hearts

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru

After giving Mirabella her amber charm, Hotaru had been overtaken by nostalgia. Memories of her time as a Thief and then Impersonator had flooded her, and she'd done her duties in a mild daze as she smiled to herself over them. It had been a different time, and she'd excelled in her rank without a doubt. Still, sometimes she found herself missing it. Though she was more than allowed to steal from whomever she wanted as Lady, it was simply no longer something she could spend the entirety of her days doing as she once had. Traversing Helovia, hunting down someone with trinkets to lose, a mere ghost as she traced their steps and kept to the shadows of their daily activities. Her own acquisitions seemed to weigh on her with every hour, and she found herself longing for that life if only for a few moments. 

After Arah's explosion, Hotaru had avoided the rank, leaving them to Thranduil as she took up the concerns of the soldiers and Ashamin's little group. Still, though she'd made that choice herself, it rankled her. That was her group, her domain! Arah had never intimidated Hotaru, nor had the pale bitch ever mattered in the rosen girl's life. Why had she ever allowed herself to be forced away from her own territory? 

So she excused herself from the tail end of her duties and set out into the late evening, wishing Tallsun was still lingering about just a little longer to give fuller light to the impending darkness of the sky. There was a singular woman she sought, one that had been doing well in her career and who was on the list for proper public promotion at the next herd meeting. Rexanna. Alice was already scouting ahead, her swifter paws and keen nose more helpful on the search than Hotaru's senses. As Alice followed the mare's scent trail, Hotaru trotted behind, face peering into the lengthening shadows, eyes intent and sharp. 

"Rexanna?" It was time they properly met, after all. Perhaps she could even teach the girl a thing or two. 

Image Credit

@Rexanna since we talked about them threading!
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
rexanna
I had a dream you were two towns from me —
I had grown so exhausted over the last few days. Was it due to the end of Tallsun as Orangemoon approached and my mere year long stay in the Basin neared? Or was it due to the fact that I felt aimless. Over and over again. The root of my problem hid itself well and buried deep within me. I couldn’t for the life of me figure it out. But the more I thought about my problems, the more I realized that I missed Tembovu. Though the part of me that grew aching and painful the more I thought about the giant mammoth, the more of a bitter taste hit my tongue. I truly thought I loved that man, but perhaps I was naïve to the fact that he loved me back. How could I have been so blind?

But as the sun began to set, I noticed the slight chill in the air that had disappeared with the brunt of Tallsun. Shivering slightly to myself, I began to wonder once again if I even had a purpose here. It didn’t exactly seem like it. I just wandered around and did my best to please my leads without exactly learning what my job was. Briefly after joining the Basin, the one person I had looked toward for my duties was Thranduil – and yet that golden stag had seemed to disappear from me. Unable to speak with him about my job, I just did my best to protect and gain Intel. That was my job, wasn’t it? I hoped so. But I began to grow slightly worried that perhaps I wasn’t performing. What did they do if you were a part of a group with no leader? Did they kick you out or help you? The idea of Deimos coming to me and telling me I needed to leave sent more chills down my spine. Sighing to myself, blue eyes glanced up to the sky as it darkened, ears flattening to my skull as I lowered my head.

’Rexanna?’ Was I hearing things? I turned from the direction I was wandering down, only to spot a blackened canine making its way to me. That couldn’t have been the creature that spoke my name, could it? My thoughts ran back to the elephant with the egg and how she could speak and sing so beautifully. Why did this creature search for me, though? However, as my thoughts danced around that beautiful elephant, a mare trailed after the canine toward me. Ears perked in curiosity, I realized I had seen her crowned as a Lead. Fear struck my heart, but I did my best to hide it. I dipped my head to her gently, unable to remember her name for the life of me. “My Lady, hello.” I said gently, relaxing my pose a bit more, light blue eyes trailing across the pink mare, offering her a warm smile. My cream coat meshing with the sunset hues as they faded away. The entire time I paused after acknowledging her, I fought my mind to try and remember her name. “Can I be of assistance?” I questioned, still frightened that perhaps I was failing my duties to the herd and getting caught up in stupid love problems that weren’t even a Basin issue. An ear flickered back in curiosity but also annoyance – unable to remember the name.

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
spent the whole night running.
image credits

@Hotaru yes!!! :D also sorry its crappy, my mind is bouncing around a billion things. xD
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru

Alice's nose had never failed the pair before, and Hotaru trusted her bitch to lead her true and find the golden lass they sought. The trail was fresh, odd phantom smells floating through Hotaru's own thin nares. Close, Alice murmured across their bond, one that was almost always thrumming and wide open with activity, their senses melding and minds shifting seamlessly. It had been exhausting at first, migraine-inducing, but now it was almost impossible to tell where one soul ended and the other began. Neither would have it any other way, though they were probably bringing a whole new level to companion-bonded codependency.

Alice, of course, was correct. Hoofsteps paused in the distance, a dim sound to Hotaru but sharp with clarity to Alice as they traded back and forth. Hotaru trailed behind her soulmate, picking delicately through the snow, head tilted elegantly as Rexanna came into view. She seemed to be taken by surprise, though her head dipped obligingly beneath the awareness of her rank. Hotaru gave a demure smile in response to her deferment, her own muzzle dipping elegantly towards her long throat in respectful response. Unaware of the fact that Rexanna could not recall her name, she gave a wry, amused smile at the formal title. "Please, call me Hotaru." Alice grunted almost silently beside her. Lady better, she huffed, but Hotaru shoved aside her sister's commentary. The tension in Rexanna's frame was something she'd rather see gone, at least for now. 

"Can I be of assistance?" Hotaru hummed softly in her throat as Alice sat primly at her foreleg, leaning against her as always when not having to impress others. Hotaru's icy tresses flicked to curl round the delicate bone of her back ankle, tilting her head and assessing the mare before her. "You already have. You've proven yourself to be a competent Phantom," she complimented sincerely, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "I was Thief, before my promotion. I'm glad you helped fill the positions Arah and I left behind," she specifically did not mention the rest regarding the antlered woman, if only for the sake of her own temper. 

She quieted for a few long moments, tasting the words she wanted to say and rolling them along her tongue. "I can't say I don't miss it," she confessed softly, a faraway look in her mismatched eyes. Shaking her head slowly she smiled, telling herself to be polite and charming, her mask beautiful and impenetrable. She could not afford to be nostalgic, not when she'd been granted a higher position that she loved and thrived in. Her people came first, and because of that, Rexanna needed to be at the forefront. As much as it made her cringe inside, the title she'd once held - the one that had made her infamous, had made Ophelia and Illynx respect her, had won ties with the other herds - was one that had to go to the golden mare. 

"But...well, things change. It's your turn to take that mantle, if you will allow me to bestow it upon you. Will you become my Thief?" Eyes turned critical and serious, cutting across Rexanna's face. Hotaru may have been promoting her for the good of the herd as a whole, but the realm Rexanna existed within was her domain. It would continue to be that way, even while Hotaru reigned as Lady. Deimos had no inclination towards it, after all, and Thranduil more often dealt with the others - warriors, storytellers. And perhaps there was even a sense of possession, to use such a personal term. Mine. But Hotaru had always been a more selfish sort. 

Image Credit
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
rexanna
I had a dream you were two towns from me —
I watched my Lady carefully, ears perked toward her for signs of any direction of help she might need, or why she called my name in the first place. She dipped her head to me which seemed rather surprising for me.  I wasn't sure if it was something that a lead did, dipped their head to those lower than them. Deimos never had and I hadn't seen Thranduil since his promotion to Lord. While I was slightly taken back by her kind gesture, I felt the annoyance still flickering in the back of my skull of not being able to remember her name. Before I knew it, she had told me and relief started to spread within my mind. Hotaru. I needed to remember that. As I watched the mare before me, I realized that it shouldn't be that difficult to remember such a unique name for such a unique Queen.

However, relief spread thoroughly through me as she said I already had been of assistance. Though while I was curious of how I had been, I was mostly just bumbling around trying to figure out exactly what my job was. I was stuck in a way where I couldn't speak with Thranduil, and I hadn't known Hotaru enough to even know that she was a Thief beforehand. I didn't have any familiarity with anyone that held the title after her either, so learning how to do my job the best I could came with a bit of trial and error. Apparently, I had been doing great, according to my Queen in front of me. Blue eyes curiously watched her as she continued on. My heart beating with a fierce fire and what seemed to be pride swelling in my chest. She spoke of being a Thief before her promotion and how she was pleased to see that I had taken the work that her and Arah left behind. An ear flickered back at the mention of Arah, a name I was unfamiliar with. Perhaps someone else I could have looked to for the chance of learning how to do my job - but from what it sounded like, I didn't need any help. My smile stayed soft on my features and I nodded along with her, deep down I was glad that I could fill such a position.

As she continued, I listened intently. Curious to the mare as to what she was going to say. When the words left her lips, it almost felt as though the world paused around me. I could hear my heartbeats vibrating in my ears. a promotion? Did I just skip two Tiers and make it to the top? Without having much of an idea of what I was doing? I remembered that painted stag I had tried to steal from before without success, but the protection I gave to Thranduil when Ophelia came bounding back in the attempts to take him from us. Perhaps that was enough of a show for the Leads that I could handle myself. I nodded to her, numbly, full of excitement and pride. The smile on my face grew bigger and surged with authenticity. I replayed the words in my head for a brief moment to make sure that I heard her right. "If you will allow me to bestow it upon you, will you become my Thief?" Within a heartbeat of the replay I nodded to her. Dual toned mane dancing with the wind of the fading day.

"Of course, Hotaru. I would be absolutely honored to be your Thief." That was all I could muster without looking crazy by thanking her a billion times, and as I thought about it I realized I probably should thank her for such a huge opportunity. "Thank you for this opportunity." I said just about as calmly as I could, blue eyes dragging from her momentarily to look upon the canine that accompanied her that I seemed to forget about in the moments of being fearful of getting tossed out of the Basin. What was I thinking? If anyone had known my fears before now, they would have found it to be stupid, especially considering the title I held now. No longer a Phantom, but finally a Thief. I couldn't help but keep the smile glued to my lips as well as pride bellowing into my chest. And now, knowing that Hotaru had been a Thief beforehand, at least I had someone more accessible and, well, relatable to look up to for information. As well as perhaps getting to learn from her of what exactly she wanted me to do, instead of trying to do it on my own.

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
spent the whole night running.
image credits

@Hotaru YAY! <3
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!