the Rift

[OPEN] I lived here once

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
Ulrik the Engineer

The Engineer had heard that Ophelia and Torleik had moved, remembered that Torleik was now a King - wherever he was. Out of all of them, Torleik had the best heart, and he deserved more than the turn-coat princess he had chosen. He wished to tell his cousin this, but he knew that would not go over well. Instead, he would have to just hope for the best and not say 'I told you so' when whatever this was crashed and burned. Love was... Love was over rated. He didn't think he ever loved Illynx, but there had been moments when he thought maybe there was something more. 

No use in dwelling on that. He reached the familiar, tall trees of the Edge, mists pervading the bark in a way that could be interpreted as terrifying or comforting. He didn't much care either way. The Moon Goddess was an interesting one, and he supposed it was her way of being present - just like the bright auroras reminded up of the God of the Spark. Ulrik pushed inward, not much caring about boundaries when he knew that his cousin was a leader. Supposedly Mauja was the other lead, and the Engineer had seen him at the wolf god battle. 

They had not spoken since Ulrik had called him a traitor. Right? He couldn't remember the details. But, he knew that Mauja was aware of his prejudice and secrets. That could be difficult. But if Mauja himself could change from the Frostheart, so could he right? One redemption story for another. Not that Ulrik thought he needed redeeming. All of  his dislike of other species rested in a very concrete, logical facts, but after his encounter with Essetia, he was sure he no longer hated them. That was enough, right? 

Ulrik grumbled to himself, blinking his bright, bronze eyes as he looked over remnants of defenses, thinking he should have brought the sentinels with him. He sighed heavily. If had something to offer, then that would have increased his chances. Instead, he had thrown a scorpion at a damn deer. He still had some magic left in him, but he would wait until everyone was near. Then they would have to accept him. Torleik had mentioned he wanted to talk, so Ulrik loitered near a tree, moving the dirt with one of his cloven hooves. 

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by Nikkayla

(Please tag me in every post)

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik

Another day, another interloping rift god, another instance in which Ophelia was saved from pain or possible death by his actions. Torleik wondered if she even noticed. Face burned, body still aching from the goddamn boil sickness he'd caught, the Bloodskald slowly returned home. He needed a healer; perhaps then he would find his cousin and speak to him, as it seemed Ulrik hadn't stuck around like Torleik had hoped. That irritated him. Could no one just fucking do what he asked of them? 

Did he ask too much? The king didn't think so. With every step his anger inside solidified into something sharp and dangerous, like molten metal poured into the cast of a dangerous weapon. He was tired, he was hurting, and he was done. Ophelia had tried to attack a goddess of all the damn fool things she could've chosen to do simply because, he surmised, she had seen another god bleed and die not long ago. This seemed to give the residents of Helovia a jolt of realization - gods could die. 

Yes. Possibly. But all the morons seemed to be forgetting that the gods they were killing were being fought BY ANOTHER GOD and not just pathetic mortals with magic that could be snatched from them at any time. The demon bear that came through the rift would have destroyed them all if the God of the Spark hadn't been present. The rift wolf would have devoured everyone present if not for the Moon Goddess. Was everyone so foolish? Was Phi? Torleik didn't want to think so but it played over and over in his head, her grave error in trying to somehow avenge the deaths of seasons ago. 

'!! Ulrik!' Irelyn informed him urgently, and the Bloodskald wondered if his cousin, stupid in his own ways as he could be, had simply assumed they would talk in Torleik's new home. It had worked, hadn't it? He couldn't exactly consider it stupid. Dumb luck, maybe, but perhaps Ulrik knew Torleik better than he knew himself. Vial of wolf's blood spacking against his muscular chest softly with every step, the king drew up as close to his cousin as he dared. As far as he knew Ulrik was unaffected by the boils; he didn't want to infect his cousin. 

"I intended to talk to you directly after battle; you didn't have to come all the way here to speak with me. But," he said, drawing in a deep breath, "as you are here, I invite you inside my home. You are welcome within these borders." The Bloodskald paused, brows quirked above curious eyes. "Have you the news that I am king of this place? I haven't seen you in a long while, cousin. I meant to return to the Basin, let them know of my departure, why I left..." he trailed, aware he'd never managed the trip. Other than for Ulrik, why should he have bothered? He despised Deimos and Ophelia had almost immediately abdicated her position to come be in the World's Edge with him. 

The memory made him smile, thinking back to a time, not long ago, when things had felt better. Now everything was shit and he didn't see a clear, discernible end. Ulrik was here now, though, and it was good to see his family. The king would try to focus on that positive. 

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
Ulrik the Engineer

Ulrik heard rather than saw his cousin approach. The thicker stallion had heavier footfalls an an interesting gait, and he removed himself from leaning on a tree to stand on his own weight. Glittering, bronze eyes looked over his family, seeing the burn marks on his face and frowning. The blood must have burned. That was unfortunate. He frowned slightly, and then he noticed the boils - the same ones that Ophelia had. And those had gone away when he had shocked her, right? Maybe he would try shocking his cousin too... The thought was immensely amusing, and he smiled a bit, lifting his head and listening.

The welcome was appreciated, and he figured he would take some time here in his old home. Ulrik nodded once, slowly, taking his words one step at a time. "I lingered for some time after the battle, but after I shocked your girlfriend on accident, I left," he said, smirking a little. "Not as if she didn't deserve it, but I don't want to be on the receiving end of that ire." He took a deep breath and summoned another small scorpion, stepping on it so that it arced and hit Torleik. Hopefully it would work on him too.

"I have heard that you and Mauja are now leaders here," he rumbled, his deep voice thick with a guttural accent. He nodded. "Leadership suits you." Ulrik rested his weight on one hip and got comfortable for this conversation. "I used to be in this herd years ago when Mauja lead it; it was very different then, and I called Mauja a traitor once because he was getting soft on those of other... species...." He spoke frankly, but carefully around his cousin.

"I have since learned to expand my horizons, but I am unsure if I am welcome. There will be suspicion, I am sure. My years here... I haven't exactly been ah... nice." he managed with a wry smile, bronze eyes glittering. "But I promise to be on my best behavior now." Ulrik added this with a wink and a mad grin. Ulrik paused. "Why did you leave? I am not judging... just curious."

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by Nikkayla

(Please tag me in every post)

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik

Torleik snorted at Ulrik referring to Phi as his 'girlfriend' and nodded slowly to the assumption she deserved the shock. "I am inclined to agree, though I think it would offend her if she knew. She is headstrong more than anyone I know." He took a deep breath, smirking some. "Whose ire - hers, or mine? If you can help me control that woman even a fraction when she's gone off to do something foolhardy and stupid, I welcome the aid," the king chuckled. The wounded, infected rabicano looked down as his cousin summoned a mechanical scorpion - he didn't like scorpions much; distrustful little creatures - and flinched as Ulrik stomped on it and subsequently zapped him. "Ow!" he grunted, glaring at his cousin, but only for a short while. Within moments, he felt a change in his skin, the burning, gnawing pain of the boils began to lessen and the magic that infected him began to drip off. 

Fascinating. 

"...thank you..." He explained to the Engineer that he was king of this place now and that Ulrik had a home in the World's Edge if he wished, and somehow was not surprised that the unkempt stallion knew about the change in leadership despite being a strong isolationist by nature. His cousin explained his past history with this place and Torleik was neither surprised, nor offended by Ulrik's honesty about his racism. To find that Mauja had been unable to hold the same was no surprise. The dark stallion didn't think Polkadot had much of a backbone for anything unless he was roused to intense anger. "I see. Well, I am rejection no one's entrance based on appearance now, only character. Our herd is small. We need to grow in numbers and not paint ourselves a target immediately by angering others."

The question as to why he left was one Torleik wasn't sure he could answer adequately. But, for Ulrik's sake, he would try. "Deimos is a stagnant fixture in the north. The Basin was becoming too full of blind fools, drunk off of their own ecstasy over their bloodlines. I could not fight for that anymore. I didn't want to. So when we were called to aid with the invasion some seasons back and I saw the World's Edge would need new leaders...I thought I might find purpose here. I thought...it would help me appease, as ineffectively as it likely will, the Moon Goddess." The king shrugged. "We will see, I suppose." Looking up at his cousin curiously, he regarded him. "Why did you leave, and come here?"

@Ulrik
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!