the Rift

[PRIVATE] I will fail you, of that I'm sure

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

Not even a full season. Not even a full season had passed since Torleik had taken to wandering, to resting, recovering, from all the insanity the War of the Rift had brought upon him. He wasn't the sole leader - Mauja was still there. Nothing indicated taking time would be a mistake. Ophelia would understand. She had to. She wandered more than anyone else he knew. 

He should have known better. Ophelia had come to him, found him, told him Mauja had abdicated to Tembovu, that leadership had changed once again. Mauja had lost a child and that was it, he simply gave up. Gave everything up. Abandoned everything. 

Not unlike yourself, currently, his mind had snapped back. 

But he wasn't giving up. He wasn't walking away, wasn't turning his back on his people. Needing a rest wasn't wrong; needing to take time for himself, it wasn't wrong. It wasn't handing over his throne in an open display of weakness. It really shouldn't have surprised him Mauja walked away. The queen had made clear he wasn't all that interested in leadership from the beginning, but the news still held that small pang of shock that the unexpected always brought. At least...at least Mauja had the sense enough to hand his power off when he knew he could not wield it any longer. 

So with news like that, Torleik knew he needed to head back. To go back home, try to help pick up the new broken pieces all over the ground and set them to mending correctly. Only, it seemed he was too late. He heard the call ring out when his hooves brought him back within the trees of this herd he'd called his for so brief a time, and it was not Mauja's. A herd meeting. Perhaps to inform the others of the change in leadership...but somewhere in his chest Torleik had a sinking feeling there was more to it than that. 

His steps stopped, and he looked at the woman, his woman, standing next to him. "I fear I've made a mockery of your judgement," he murmured. "If I walk in and they do not accept me any longer after my absence...I will have failed you. And failing you shames me more than failing them." The snow-dusted rabicano clenched his teeth and squared his shoulders. "I must handle this as my honor demands, whatever is presented to me, and I hope that what becomes of this doesn't make you think less of me," he breathed to her before setting his direction to the call the new king had set out. Time to see what was really going on. 

"talk talk talk"

"This winter breath, taste of death
Where iron meets flesh. we'll take it all"

Coding by Tamme with credits to Sevin | Art by Yewrezz

@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Time had passed for the both of him, though he had wandered longer than herself. In a way she was glad. He finally understood. He knew now why she left without speaking, took to isolation for months at a time, and never called one place her home for very long. The ways of the world were wearying and trying, a constant test of yourself, bending, bending and bending until you either changed your ways or broke. To be alone was to find who you were again without the pressures of those you cared or pretended to care about lingering with societal pressure and unspoken judgment.

But, he had to know, at least, what was going on. She had explained how Mauja abdicated his throne at the loss of his child, and she had told him that another had stepped up in his place. Ophelia did not mind either way. She was not as invested as he was - and how could she be? The Moon Goddess, in her eyes, was a demon crawling in the dark places of the world and feasting on tragedy. She respected Torleik's devotion, but she could never mirror his sense of honor and loyalty. Tembovu would be a good king, and that was all that truly mattered.

Easily she stepped in stride at his side, not nearly as perturbed as he was. He had a good heart, one that claimed and conquered with strength and love. In everything, he tried to do good while still upholding his sense of pride. Ophelia mused that his people must have been a rowdy bunch of all of them had this sense of leadership and nobility instilled in their minds. Either that, or he was making up for a past of being downtrodden by wanting nobility and power.

Her brows furrowed when he spoke to her, and she shook her head, giving a wry smile. "My judgment of you is not unfounded," she said firmly. Even if he had been gone for some time, he had still been a good leader. Ophelia did not regret her choice at all. "You do as you must, but I will not be heartbroken if we leave this place. I can count my loyalties on my four hooves and the only one residing in the Edge is you." The pale princess flicked her tail around her hocks, taking a deep breath as she heard the sound of a meeting in progress.

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

The idea that they might leave had not yet fully materialized in his thoughts, but it didn't come as a surprise to him that Ophelia thought that way. She was a nomad by nature, not tied to any one thing - except himself, he hoped - and was capable and happy wherever her hooves took her. What if that was to be his fate now, too? What if that was why he was destined to be drawn to her? To show him that his home was gone and he could never have another place to settle, to put roots, because none would ever be home again?

Considering what she said, he nodded almost grimly. "Your opinion of me is all that matters. If those here show me no loyalty...I will not feel guilt for leaving them to turn upon themselves without my protection." He hoped it would not have to come to that. Torleik had intended to remain here, to make this place great, but to do that he had to be ready. The War of the Rift had shown him he was not, not yet, not after so much conflict.

Now he felt he was. If the World's Edge held so little trust in their leaders that they would replace both after a single season despite no great and devastating losses to the herd during the entire world nearly coming apart...then they were not worth his toil.

"talk talk talk"

@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!