the Rift

[OPEN] greet the dawn || meet your doom

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

His words fell on silent ears, though Alune was quick to appear and echo his own sentiments, perhaps in more flowery and Seer-type speak. Though he nodded in agreement with his Seer, for he was like-minded with the large, midnight stallion.

Though his eyes widened marginally, in surprise and echoes of a fear he thought long buried, at the dragon-winged mare’s request at burning the dead woman’s body. He dipped his head marginally in approval— for who was he to deny the request of a mourning daughter? Though unease stirred ins his breast, for a flame in a forest resurfaced memories that he did not wish to revisit.

His ears and attention swiveled toward Mauja as his speckled friend spoke of more death. Of a ‘Torasin;’ someone he did not know. How much death had followed in the wake of the snow leopard? He watched the Frozen Light closely, beginning to see him in a new light.

He stayed silent as more appeared, paying their respects and all grieving in their own way. Briefly, the Elephant, in his silence, wondered if his own death would beget such a gathering? But the thoughts were burned from his mind as the blaze from dragons and birds erupted to life around the dead body.

The King took a step backwards, away from the flames that danced, the burning body reflecting in his dark blue eyes. He shifted his attention to the golden, dragon-winged as she spoke a short eulogy. Only a sentence, but filled with so much more than the mere meanings of the spoken words.

He nodded once, deeply towards her, then backed into the forests— partially selfishly to get away from the flames— but also to give those who grieved the dead woman solitude.
tembovu
Do not fight the battle.
Win the war.
Image Credits

ooc| Tembovu out.

Please tag Tembovu.

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

AARON
A SHEPHERD I SHALL BE, FOR THEE, MY LORD, FOR THEE, POWER HATH DESCENDED FORTH FROM THY HAND, THAT MY FEET MAY SWIFTLY CARRY OUT THY COMMAND, SO I SHALL FLOW A RIVER FORTH TO THEE AND TEEMING WITH SOULS SHALL IT EVER BE

"Kiba burned you." I heard the words, yet my focus was still on the spotted one. The one I now knew for sure had used ice spikes against me in the invasion for World's Edge years ago... The same ice spikes that had pierced my little sister's father and ended his life much to soon... He was the reason my little sisters had lost a parent long before they should of known that loss. It had been a loss that I had not been ready for them to know, shortly followed by our mother. Maybe that was why the girls had all passed on long before me. Because in their short lives they had lost so much more than I had. Granted I was only a few years older, but they lost both at once. Torasin had been almost like a Dad to both Azale and I. Her father had never been in the picture, where mine had more than likely never made it out of Anarore. Everything goes back to him I barely noticed, okay well Alanna noticed as a young stallion who actually reminds me of Lace arriving. He leaves shortly after he had come into sight. It's only then that something that had been said before seems to click in my mind. "you're not the only one who is dead. Lace is dead, too. Psyche is dead. Aviya is dead. Snö—" I do not know who Psyche, Aviya and Snö are, but Lace... "No. It can't be." Not Lace too.

My mind only refocuses as Mauja admits that yes, Kiba had in fact burned him. "It was an accident, Aaron. Torasin's death was an accident." I nod silently, but fully intend to press the stallion farther. I needed to know, to understand what had happened that day. Why had Torasin died? What had made his death an accident? Alanna leaves my side for a moment, but I do not call her back. I don't even try to see where she goes. But I learn later it was to my boy. She had greeted him, in place of me. "Your son, Brendan is here." About that time I feel his presence at my side. I turn, allowing my tear streaked face to look upon my treasured boy. "Brendan, I am glad to see you my son. But, where is your mother?" For I realize with a slight prod from Alanna that he is alone. I hope the fact that he is here alone does not mean something has happened to Phantom.

No sooner than the words left my mouth, the spotted stallion speaks again. "Do not let the rest of the forest burn," I nudge Brendan to step back with me, as I call to life a magic that I rarely used. Dragons made of fire, burst to life just above my head. The heat from them extremely warm... Okay maybe warm is putting it mildly. But thankfully I do not hold them over my head long. Together, the two royal dragons of fire join the albatross as it moves forward to Mirage. The last thing I can do for her, is to follow her daughter's wishes. I only look away from Mirage's now burning body to see Amaris standing close to Brendan. "She explained to Brendan. Best way of explaining for his age. Not to harsh." I would explain later, when he was older. As Amaris moved about the fire keeping the flames in line, I moved as well. But not before speaking to Brendan. "Stay with Alanna." Together, we moved about making sure that the forest that we both once called home did not burn. The giant took his leave, and I was grateful for that.

Instead of returning to my son, I move toward Majua. I need to understand, which means bad memories being dragged back to the surface for both of us. I speak, my voice low. I do not want Amaris or Brendan to hear, simply because I don't think this is the time for either of them. But for me, I needed the closure. I needed it and who knows if or when I would ever get my chance again. "I ask not as a trail, but as a family member who just simply needs to understand... What happened that day, the day that Torasin and Kiba died?"

"Talk"
"Alanna speaks"

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

we walk a lonely road
beneath the fire of a thousand suns
She watches from the sidelines, a flickering shadow beneath mist-laden trees.

Hours pass, days- or maybe only minutes, seconds, drawn out like heartbeats in the silence that fills her ears, threatening to swallow her beneath its daunting embrace. Bodies ebb and flow around her, into the clearing and away; voices are raised and silenced, tears are swallowed and wept. Her own black eyes are painfully dry: she has cried too much in these past seasons, and her reserves of emotion are finally run out.

Bodies and voices flow around her, but the Fire Dancer only cares for one. Like embers in her gold-slashed face her black eyes follow the dragonmare, her cousin, her sister, her long lost beloved and the only thing she has left - the only one to come home - Amaris. Had the girl expected to see that scaled beauty once more beneath these trees? No- and now she watches listlessly, wishing she could approach but not daring lest her cousin disappear again, like so much smoke and mist.

Disappear, the way Lace had.

The way Sacre had.

The way her mother had.

The way Mirage was, even now.

Distant flames light the wan lines of her slender face, but still the girl does not draw near. She watches silent, distant, as her aunt dissolves into so much ash and soot, and still her eyes are dry. She does not draw near, for she does not feel the urge- not after the disaster that was Lace's memorial, not after the sins she has committed with Reginald. They left her for a reason; she knows this now, accepts it, and so she stays away.

But her brother is not yet broken, and he strains against her blooming despair. At the bottom of her heart there stirs a dull ache, a longing which is not entirely her own but which threatens to break the walls and start a cascade of destruction- so she rejects it ardently, shoving him further away, and the kitsune whines his sorrow. But ideas have been stirring in his floundering mind, and the sight of Amaris fills him with fresh hope; he runs from the girl at this final straw, flees to the side of their estranged kin, his body a shadow and his voice a sob, and presses himself into the dragon's hock.

By the time he turns back his sister is gone, but it does not matter to the boy. He will always find her again. And now, he will have backup.

Tandavi lurks on the sidelines and leaves. Natraj stays with Amaris. Whit has permission to powerplay him.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
For so long, he had wanted her to die. For so long, he had dreamed of her death, and the imagining had been full of vicious anger, of an unleashed, unending flood of violent hatred, of a peaceful release—like he had finally, finally laid his demons to rest.

But now she was dead, and he felt nothing.

She was dead, and it changed nothing. Not for him, anyway. Mirage had been absent most of his life. She had been nothing but a memory, a haunting thought, a focus for his erratic and brutal mind. Perhaps, in his hatred of her, he had saved Helovia from a beast—the beast which tossed and turned restlessly, fettered by the words I have no right and struggling against listless apathy.

Not even the fire could surprise him, or drive him back further. He just stood rooted where he was, watching her black, slender body break into fragments of ash and cinders, blowing and billowing with the acrid smoke. Errant flames were stamped out ruthlessly, until the ground around them was swept clean, just soft loam, dark earth, and still Mauja simply stood there. Watching. Waiting. Mulling over how curious it was to be defended—to hear the voice of some other body speak the truth, take the word accident in their mouth and offer it like a shield and an olive branch to those who still only heard murder. If he looked at Aaron, would he see the scab torn off that old, festering wound? Would he see tears in the shadow of his eyes? Blood, leaking from his soul?

In truth, he didn't want to speak of it. Labeling it an accident was subjective at best, and he wasn't sure all would share his opinion of it. Those who had never been afraid, who had never been terrified, would they be able to relate to the wildness that causes you to lash out blindly? Would they be able to accept that here had been no reason for his death?

".. but as a family member who just simply needs to understand..." Mauja blinked his red-rimmed eyes, slowly craning his neck to get a better look at the stallion who had gone from accusing to pleading—and he felt for him, and he could not deny him, because he had asked for the very same thing from the Moon Goddess and gotten nothing. And nothing doesn't help with grief. But tell a stallion who always seemed a tad too trigger-happy around Mauja .. to confess to having driven ice through Torasin's heart, whether or not it had been intentional ...

Fear was only natural, but it was crippling. Breathing in the ashes he tried to gather his thoughts, before sighing. His throat felt raw, his face oddly tender from the warmth—his body tired. "Torasin," he said, and the faintest, saddest of smiles touched his eyes, ghosted upon his lips. "His dragon had no reason to love me. We had met twice previously, and neither encounter had been .. peaceful, to say the least. I am to blame for that." One time had been when Torasin had come to the newly burned World's Edge to preach of the might of the Sun God. Cineviam had carved an 'S' in his haunch before they had run him off. The second time had been in the war. "We chanced upon one another in the Deep Forest. I was .. surprised to see him, called out to him, as he called out to me, and we faced one another. I wished him no harm, and I believe he did not wish me harm either." Time had dulled the edges of the memory, but he doubted he would ever forget that day—colors and emotions would lose their brilliance, but the chain of events would always burn in his mind. "But then.. Kiba... I can only assume he wanted to protect Torasin... He came down from the trees, straight for me, blasting me." An involuntary shudder passed through him at the memory. "I both hate and fear fire." In part thanks to you. He forced the words out like pulling a band-aid off—if he stalled now, he would never get them out. "I'm not even sure if I saw it was a dragon, or if I just registered the fire. I.. panicked. Lashed out." And a spire of ice rose beside them, wrenching its way out of the ground, its cold tip touched by fire-light. The flames refracted in its icy depths, flickering and dancing. There was a thickness in his voice as he went on. "And I hit him straight in the chest." The spike fell apart, shattered and crashed to the warm floor—its edges already made dull by the heat as it lapped against them.

And Torasin was no more.

Something, something dark and ugly, reared its head in the depths of his soul—it grinned, wolf-like fangs of ice glistening coldly, and its laugh grated along Mauja's nerves. Oh, how beautiful; to stand next to his enemies and speak of Torasin so soulfully, so mournfully, tears glazing his eyes and choking up his throat.. to tell them of this accident ...

The smugness spread through him like poison, chasing his heartbeat into a terrified frenzy, stirring his thoughts into mayhem and chaos—it had been an accident, goddammit, it had been a fucking accident, he hadn't meant to do it .. right? (—RIGHT?)

There went a screech through his skull, and everything went black.

[ @Aaron || idkwtfman. He has .. sort of fainted/blacked out mentally, but he's still standing. Maybe leaning against a tree or something for support but he hasn't fallen down. He won't react to speech or contact of any kind and this was probably my last post in this thread. ^^; Not sure when he'll err.. wake up. ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here