V
A
L
H
A
L
L
A

We crawled from the depths of the earth, our eyes squeezed shut against the pale lights that filled a void of black far above our heads. The children coughed and cried, their voices muffled in my ringing ears while cold air wrapped it's clammy fingers around our foreign skin. My body glowed like a beacon on a vast ocean at night, illuminating not only myself, but the young women at my side. Where had the other Governess gone? Ghoulish eyes cast down on the yearlings as they sucked in air at such a rapid pace that it began to make my own chest hurt for them; there were only two of the three I had found. The young girls wheezed, reaching blindly toward me for comfort while they blinked away the sting of smoke. One sobbed for her mother, the other speaking in tongues which The Royals had never allowed me to learn. Tears dribbled from my milky eyes, tracing the delicate veins along my face until they fell to the earth, limp and lifeless. I inched toward the reaching noses, one of the twins pressing into me, rattling uncontrollably as she struggled to breathe between sobs, and the other hugging my withers with her long, slender neck.

Our world had fallen; it had crashed all around us in heaps of white marble and dark stone. The rivers of fire sloshed over their barricades, taking helpless lives with them one by one. The House, settled on the highest stone hill, shifted and groaned under it's own weight. Screams and cries filled the world around us, but still, The Red moved with swift grace, her cloak and golden jewelry glinting playfully with the surrounding fire. "The children!" She had screamed, her eyes finding me across the white walled room while smoke divided our path "Take them and run!" And I had to. I did whatever The Red asked of me. She was my Lady, our Lady.. how could I defy her word?

So I did.. I found the twins and the young boy, and the other Governess. We ran, unsure of where we were going, but away from the smog and the stench of burning flesh. The other Governess was breaking down, pleading to a God I had never heard of as we broke into the dark tunnels. It must have been in there that we had lost them.. I hadn't been paying attention, I just steered the girls away from harm. I had not done my job to the best of my ability.

The days passed quickly in this above-ground world. A large ball of yellowed light floated through the void of what was now blue and wispy white space, but each day the yellow ball of light was replaced with a rusty circle that looked as if someone had taken a small bite out of it. The air was clean here, but the girls were weak and tired, their lungs still in shock by the amount of smoke they had inhaled. I watched helplessly as the older of the twins coughed until she would gag, her eyes constantly filled with tears. The youngest was silent unless she was clearing her throat or whispering into her dying sister's ear. Unfortunately, I am no Medic. Every time one of the beloved twins had sustained any injury, I would flee to the nearest Medicine Wing and drag the busy Doctor back with me to make sure they were okay. These two are my own.. I have raised them since birth.

We watched the yellow ball set several times before her lungs finally couldn't retain enough oxygen to keep her blood flowing steadily. We wrapped ourselves around one another in a small circle, my head rested on her rib cage and breast pressed against her hip, her sister's face buried in her chest to listen to her failing lungs. I tried my hardest to stay strong while they whispered to each other, weak smiles being passed from one another. She's so young.. too young to leave us just yet. But I could no longer hold my composure; they saw the tears break past white lined eyelids and they lost hope, too. Even after she had passed, we remained at her side for hours. It was a quiet, calm exit, but she knew she was loved and that was all that mattered. I would nudge the remaining sister every so often, scared for her own life as I watched the numbness fill her entire being.

She had lost a sister. I had lost a child.

I stared at the two and their dark, misshapen eyes that I had grown so fond of. How much longer would the youngest sister last?

The crying never did stop. I would often find myself standing to the side, watching my remaining child eat, but seeing nothing. We were completely and hopelessly numb. We had nothing to say to each other, as compassion had reached its high while the three of us had lied together one last time. She was starting to worry about me, I could feel it. The two yearlings were the only thing I knew, and without them in this new world, I wasn't sure if I could survive. We were all so foreign to everything about this place, even the air still felt too thick with water. Was there even any life here besides the forests that stretched for miles either way?

It took four more rises of the yellow orb for the youngest to finally speak. "I'm going back home." She croaked, her throat thick with saliva as she choked back more tears. I knew I couldn't stop her, even while I tried to explain how there was nothing there. She wouldn't make it, but being their Governess, I could only warn. I was never allowed to show discipline. So I watched her leave.. she did leave me with a tender hug, though it didn't last nearly as long as I would have liked it to. I had to leave now, too. One last glance over my round shoulder made my heart feel as if it had shattered into hundreds of tiny fragments.

I was finally getting used to the yellow ball, but it still hurt my eyes when I opened them to a new day. Most of my time spent wandering aimlessly through the forest, I would stop and clip at my golden bracelet; it's the only thing I have left of my home. I hadn't had water since the morning my last daughter had left me.. Three days ago? How can I keep producing tears? My body is weak and numb to everything, I can barely feel the golden band as I press it into my flesh with the opposite foot. The rest of the day consisted of making myself eat and trying to control my breathing. I finally realized how badly I still smell of smoke of burnt hair; maybe that's keeping the predators away? Why else wouldn't they have taken down a single, distracted creature?

Finally, I lied down against a dark barked tree with vibrant green needles and strange brown cones that looked to be made of thin bark. The yellow ball began to set again and I watched with curious eyes. My dark body began to glow while the light slowly pulled away from the darkening void in the air. How full would the rusty ball be today? Would I even be able to see it past the white wisps? Silently, I awaited another lonely night where I would cry myself to sleep, and set my square jaw against the bark of the stubby tree.

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
-

She wasn’t the only one who began to glow in the forest. As the sun sank and the moon began to rise, the silver markings on Mesec’s body take on a soft glow, gentle as the moonlight that touched what bits of the trees and ground that it could reach. He hadn’t attempted a visit to the Threshold in some time - disheartened by his previous failed attempts. He wasn’t sure he had the confidence to be a successful recruiter, at least not here. But he returned now, his desire to give something positive back to the herd renewed since his conversation with Megaera and the long-overdue assimilation into the ranks instead of lingering as a citizen.

But the Threshold wasn’t just somewhere that wanderers came into Helovia, sometimes they were seeking refuge - on the run and trying to escape someone or some thing from their past. It seemed the least that any of the Helovians could do, to offer them a home or somewhere that they could rest in the safety of a herd until they decided to move on or try somewhere new. And for this visit, he was not alone. Lucius was curious about the entrance to Helovia too, he had never visited this forest before. With the canopy far too thick for the large zephyr to fly through. So he perched as best as he could on Mesec’s folded wings, talons digging without prejudice into flesh and feathers alike - harsh silver and purple eyes scanning for anyone interesting at all.

In the fading light, the dark mare would have been easy to miss where she lay at the base of the tree had it not been for the markings that illuminated her. It drew him toward her, his bright silver eyes unable to focus anything else in the dim setting. Mesec was curious about someone with such similar colouring to his own and he approached slowly, cautiously. He was wary about interrupting sleep but she did not seem to be dozing at the moment. Perhaps just tired after a long trek? “Hello, are you alright?” His voice was calm and every bit as cautious as his approach had been. He knew that the Threshold was where others came to recruit but when it came down to it Mesec just wasn’t very good about jumping into conversations with those he didn’t know and he worried that he asked a stupid question. It was a wonder he had ever made any friends at all.  

and that's me, that's me, the boy with the broken halo
that's me, that's me ________________ the devil won't let me be

artwork by the fabulous tamme
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Keidajen Posts: 17
Hidden Account atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14 hh :: 4 Years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen
Keidajen

Keidajen had the same somber grace about her that a wilting rose does. Just as the rose's petals lose their vibrance unicorn's eyes had grown dull. She had found a cave to spend her days in to keep her sensitive eyes hidden away from the garish sun but even in the gentle night they had grown heavy. Everything about her felt heavy; simply putting one hoof in front of another was a victory. The only thing that kept her tired breath returning to her body was the memory of everyone back in Elivian.  A ghost of a smile crossed her lips feeling more foreign than the land around her. It was brought by the thought of what the young ones back in the village would have thought had they seen her in this form. 

Fragile as could be the smile crashed from her grasp whenever her eyes fell upon another in the forest. Although it was a hub of activity in the day the Threshold tended to be quiet once night threatened to fall. It was a mare resting at the base of a tree. Keidajen was frozen in place both by the sight of another and at the state the stranger looked to be in. Whispering movement carried her to the newcomer.

"You are," Keidajen had remained tucked away during her time in Helovia and she struggled still with trying to voice any thoughts she may have to the few Helovians she encountered. The unicorn was so intent on returning to Elivian that she had not bothered to do as much as reacquaint herself with the language that should have been her native tongue. "Animus tuus non sit hic. Est longe. Amittitur." The words would probably be foreign to the other mare, but if what Keidajen sensed in the other's mood was correct then the mare would understand.  "I know you feeling."

Oh, where had the simplicity of happiness gone? Keidajen the fighter made herself vulnerable and dropped down at the side of the stranger. To her Helovia was an empty land. She had once depended on a tight knit group and now Keidajen could barely depend on her own strength.

"Hello, are you alright?" Keidajen tensed up at the voice of another and lurched to her hooves. Muscles she had almost forgotten she had quivered preparing to send her fleeing from the fright of having to interact with another after so long alone. The mare behind one was one matter, Keidajen considered her a sister through circumstance, the stallion was a stranger; a threat to her way of existing.

"Manifestum est etiam quod non prorsus male oculi?" Her ears pinned against her head. An ill mood settled upon her that was brought about by both herself and the stallion. Keidajen could not believe what she had allowed herself to become. Nor did she wish to even begin to acknowledge it.

Then Keidajen's eyes fell upon the glowing markings that the pair shared. Tilting her head she tried to gauge the pair. Were they of relation to one another? With that thought the unicorn delivered a more appropriate the the stallion and dipped her head slightly; her ears did not come forward though. 

Translations

Animus tuus non sit hic. Est longe. Amittitur. || Your heart is not here. It is far away. It is lost.

Manifestum est etiam quod non prorsus male oculi || D*mn is it not obvious even to a male's eyes? 

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by Yew

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
E L S A
Pottery and ventriloquy, candle making..

She was consumed by making sure everything was in order for Frostfall. Granted she was confident in both her and Tembovu’s abilities but it wasn’t exactly like they had things written out in stone yet. There was so much work to be done, and between everything, the Threshold was also a thing that needed to be done. Numbers were not to be ignored, even if they were healthy, they could hardly let up on recruitment. The more bodies, the better. Then a hierarchy could finally be established, and thing would be nice.

Edgar sat perched upon her head, watching the painted day fade to night. Luck seemed to favor them better in the night, maybe that was because those who followed the path of the moon would be the only ones stupid enough to go out trekking. Anyone else in their right mind wouldn’t wander around these woods in the dark. There were a number of mysterious threats that could come from within the depths. And with the way things have been going with random worlds popping up, it was probably best to stay close to some sort of safety. Nonetheless, it was much easier to convince moon laden beings to follow her home.

It was not long before the light glowing of two bodies caught Elsa’s eye. She maneuvered forward, careful to be quite before she decided to approach or not. Between the two of them, it looked like they both popped out of the moon goddess lady parts. Unbeknownst to Elsa, one actually had which in and of itself would be another predicament if she found out.

Cautiously she approached, nodding her head to them all before assessing the situation. With one on the ground Elsa glanced between the two, before adding her own questions. ”Welcome to Helovia, miss. Is there anything I can do to be of assistance? If you have other needs, I’m sure the moon doctors back in my herd would be more than willing to attend to them.” She murmured quietly. ”My name is Elsa, by the way. Queen of the Worlds Edge. It’s a pleasure to meet you both, and this is my companion Edgar.” Edgar flapped his wings a little in introduction, nervously settling back onto Elsa’s head. He was intimidated by the larger zephyr perched on the stallions back, but still peeped a little hello. She'd be inclined to pick up a conversation with the other mare who had joined, but the language she spoke was just a jumble of nonsensical words. Although to her benefit, it sounded much prettier.

words 9001 | tags @namehere | ooc stuff, stuff, stuff

Table by Vossity
Credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Were they glowing? No, her eyes had to be deceiving her. Valiance had to be playing some kind of trick on her mind. But, as she edged in closer she realized that it was true - a pegasus stallion and an equine mare were both glowing in the darkness of the night sky. Still, she strayed a little farther back for the moment. She wasn't quite sure where she wanted to go with this. A home was always preferable for each of those who seemed to bound into these lands, but the way that the one mare was  positioned upon the ground… oh it reminded her so dearly of how she had been but a mere season ago. When she had thought all was lost - when she had needed to be snapped back to attention, to find the desire to fight once more.

Aye, the words that another pale unicorn spoke did not really make much sense to her, but Resplendence could almost sense a somber feeling that was radiating from that mare. She knew the feeling - aye, so did Resplendence. The one of utter defeat. Alas, with more and more creatures showing up she was even more hesitant to step forward into the gentle light that the moon provided. Luckily, due to her uncertainty, her glitter was not glowing (though it might be noticed in the stray strands of moonlight).

It was only when she heard 'Moon Doctors' that Resplendence allowed Valiance to lurch forward and take a position upon the ground near the group. A few clicks of a hello - a warning of her arrival - before Resplendence allowed her frame to pull into the light of the moon. "I am an Earth Medic, previous Moon Doctor. If you require healing I am more than happy to offer aid. Though… I doubt that a broken heart can truly be healed by much - even with my magic." There is a gentle pause before she looks to all of those around her.

She does not recognize any of the faces, though she had stayed long enough to garner Elsa's name. The new Queen of the Edge. How lovely. Hopefully Alysanne was well under her rule, should she still be residing there. "I am Resplendence. This is Valiance. If the number of those surrounding you is overwhelming then we can take our leave. My goal is not to frighten - only offer some assistance if necessary."

Aye, hopefully something would shift and turn right for the poor mare. Everyone needed second (and third, fourth, even fifth) chances.

Sorry it kinda sucks XD
@Valhalla

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Valhalla Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
V
A
L
H
A
L
L
A

All at once there was life in the forest. While I stared absentmindedly at the orbiting rock as it slowly crept above our heads, I could suddenly feel the presence of another being. One round ear twitched accordingly, but I couldn't find it in myself to turn and face whatever had found me in the gloom of the setting yellow orb. It smelled of soil and fresh air with a lingering feminine aura, something so comforting, yet still so unfamiliar to me. And even though curiosity did not move me to look back at the creature (I had been taught better than that) her voice did; I thought I had caught something that I had understood, but I must have been mistaken, as she spilled an incoherent sentence into the cold air as if I should understand. She continued to press toward me, no more disturbed by the presence of a stranger than I had been. "I know you feeling." she finally said, shifting on her feet and folding down to the ground beside me.

Even though my brain argued with my heart, I wanted to welcome this woman to my side; I have never been one to deny a stranger's company, but the painful amount of grieving I had endured within the last week has worn a harsh groove in my soul. Drowsy eyes reached to the cream toned woman, searching for something beyond those beautiful eyes. My heart thudded heavily. The delicate, sweet appearance of this stranger was all I had ever wanted to be. Instead of mustering the energy for a response, I bobbed my head respectfully, the corners of my lips twitching upward for a moment. It was just now that I realized there was a similar glowing light cast over the pearl woman's coat, but it did not belong to me. "Hello, are you alright?” His body hidden below full wings, but he looked as if he had danced straight out of the black space above the trees, straight from the twinkling lights. "Manifestum est etiam quod non prorsus male oculi?" the stranger beside me answered. Maybe he would understand her tongues?

I sucked in a tight breath for a moment, ears both turning backward while I questioned myself. Am I alright? "No-" I began, shaking my head just softly enough to feel my neck muscles working. Why did these strangers care? Had I crossed over into a herd land by mistake? Milky eyes gazed up at the man with star dust on his body, finally noticing the falcon balancing on the hybrid's wing like it was his perch. I had only seen birds crafted from charred coal and fire in Urd, and they were all filthy scavengers. They would bite at each other over scraps left from fallen slaves. Their oily eyes and eerie screeches had haunted my dreams at a young age.

Two more women moved in, one after another, but these two looked nothing like my two newest acquaintances. This is such a strange world. One woman, soft white highlighted with a fantastic blue, bore only wings and bright eyes, while the other was an earthy color and was stripped of the extra appendages and protruding bones. She looked as if she had crawled from the rusty ball in the sky and painted with clay. ”Welcome to Helovia, miss. Is there anything I can do to be of assistance? If you have other needs, I’m sure the moon doctors back in my herd would be more than willing to attend to them.” the woman in blue offered. I shifted my vision around from face to face, but the reptilian creature with leather wings squawked, making my stomach twist uncomfortably. Now was not the time to question what the creature is, so I tightened my jaw and swallowed hard before I allowed my attention to move elsewhere. "I am an Earth Medic, previous Moon Doctor. If you require healing I am more than happy to offer aid. Though… I doubt that a broken heart can truly be healed by much - even with my magic."

Every one of them offered me so much more than just a welcoming smile, and all I could return was a tired, beaten grin. Helovia? Moon doctor? Earth Medic? I ran their names through my head, nodding at each one and waiting my turn - like I have been taught. Elsa, the blue painted woman, and her bird, Edgar. Resplendence, the clay woman, and her.. snake with legs and wings? What was it? Valiance? Now, it was my turn. "Thank you all, you're very generous." I began weakly, milky eyes reaching toward the man who looked like myself. "But you owe me nothing. I'm sorry if I intruded, I'm still not certain of where I am." I wanted to find my feet and leave my new acquaintances in peace, but I longed for their companionship.

My life in Urd was comfortable and rewarding.. only by pure luck. I had been plucked from my mother's side as soon as I was strong enough to work on my own, but before The Red rescued me, I was just simply another worker. We were near worthless under The Royals' eyes - ants crawling from the veins of their nest to collect for the Queen. But one day, she chose to take me under her wing. I would never be able to forget her coal black eyes as they settled on me; a glamorous red cloak draped over her lithe shoulders and flared out over her swollen pregnant belly. She was adorned in golden jewelry: hoops in her ears and nostrils, bracelets, a thick collar with ruby inlays. A gorgeous woman who I soon found to be very caring as well. She taught me to be the woman I am now.

I will forever cherish my relationship with The Red, as she gave me the two wonderful girls whom I cared for as if they were my own blood.

My jaw tightened again as I shook the cobwebs from my mind and focused once more on the pale blue accents on the Pegasus mare before me. She seemed so straight and no-nonsense.. a lot like The Red. "I'll be going." my voice cracked under stress and rushing emotions. Silently, I reached out to the woman who spoke a different language beside me, softly butting my dark lips on her nearest shoulder before I stood back up. It was a custom in Urd, a respectable touch between new friends. Surely they do the same here as well?

"Speech here."
Ooc: Sorry for the long wait, I had a crazy Christmas-y couple of weeks!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
-

He didn’t understand the language the unicorn mare was speaking but her spite was plain. What did he do? Was it so wrong to ask whether someone was okay rather than just assume they were okay with physical contact, eager to be crowded around? He didn’t make a retort though, not interested in turning this into an argument - especially since he had no idea what she actually said. His ears flicked backward in annoyance only for a moment, his acknowledgement of her voice even as he nodded in response to her gesture, but the dark mare drew his attention with an answer to his question. No she wasn’t alright, the weight of the world in that single syllable.

Further stupid questions were stemmed by the arrival of two more mares.

They introduced themselves and their homes, offered further assistance, and finally more words came from the glowing mare, her voice sad and fragile, apologizing for intruding. That was, of course, not the case at all and Mesec further softened under such words. They had all, he was sure, approached her in the darkness out of concern for her.

He wasn’t sure if they had overwhelmed her or if she truly did not wish to intrude, not knowing where she had wandered into, and Mesec was surprised when it looked like the black and silver mare was preparing to leave them. And go where? She wasn’t alright, she had admitted as much, and he agreed with the Earth Medic’s diagnosis that the pain was more emotional than physical, few or no injuries that the healing magic could touch.  

Before she left, though, Mesec hoped that the group of them might be able to demonstrate that their concern over a stranger was genuine. “You’re not intruding at all. We can all offer you a home, if you wish, or somewhere safe to rest if you prefer. You’re at the threshold of a new land, with herds that you can join.” There was little security in the Threshold and while this was certainly a place of recruitment - the straightforward speech by Elsa emphasizing that point - Mesec wasn’t going to fight with these mares over the chance to recruit the shy, glowing creature. “My name’s Mesec, my home is the Dragon’s Throat - it’s an island to the south, warm at this time of year - and safe. The World’s Edge is a misty forest near the ocean and the Hidden Falls a secluded valley with waterfalls.” He nodded to Elsa and Resplendence in turn when he mentioned their homes, a soft encouraging smile on his features when he looked back to the black and silver mare. “Stranger or not, I think we’d all like to see you somewhere safe. Wherever you’d feel the most comfortable.”

Not the best recruitment strategy but he truly wasn’t interested in bringing someone back to the Throat that did not want to go. If she would rather go with Elsa, or Resplendence, or the grumpy mare that did not share her name, then Mesec wasn’t going to fight such a decision. The fact that she was a stranger hardly mattered, the concern he noted in the group was genuine. He looked to them now, representatives of the other herds, to see if they would have better luck convincing the mare she didn’t have to leave - and to ensure he hadn't made wild assumptions based on the few words they had already shared.

and that's me, that's me, the boy with the broken halo
that's me, that's me ________________ the devil won't let me be

artwork by the fabulous tamme

@Keidajen
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Valhalla Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
OOC: Val is going to follow Mesec home. Sorry guys, I couldn't keep her in the Threshold anymore.