the Rift

I am a leaf on the wind

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

It’s like losing him all over again. She knows when she walks through the barrier, can feel the wind stripped away from her. Gone, so quickly. Just like him. One minute he was alive and well and training with the army. The next, a messenger was telling them he was dead. There was even time to grieve. There wasn’t time for anything. 

Life from that moment on had been running. Running, running, running. First through the forests of Morham. She knew them well enough to give her and Adelene enough of a head start. The rebels could only follow so quickly where the forest grew dense and maze-like. But Lyanna knew the paths well, and they kept running. 

After that, she doesn’t know exactly where they were. Unfamiliar meadows and mountains, taking whatever route looked passable. They stopped here and there; of course they did, it would be impossible to keep going constantly. But they never stopped for long. 

And with the wind at their backs, they escaped. And finally, they came here. That feeling of being stripped of everything, as horrible as it may have been, made Lyanna finally think they might be safe. What threat were they to the rebels now? Lands and lifetimes away, devoid of any power. They were nothing here, and that’s exactly what they needed. 

Lyanna gives her sister a gentle nudge, suspecting the girl will probably hate it, but not caring. Part of her wanted to insist they stay together. Lyanna didn’t really care where she ended up at this point, would follow her sister to wherever the girl wanted to go. But at the same time, she thinks perhaps some space is good. It’s hard to look at Adelene and not be reminded of Corben. He’d had black where she has white, but still, they look alike. 

Not that she wouldn’t be keeping a close eye on her sister. But they distance themselves slightly now, taking their own paths in this new place. Lyanna tells herself it’s because she can’t smother her sister, has to let the girl live. But of course, some part of her simply needs to find her own life too. Needs to forget where they’ve come from, and Adelene was a constant reminder of that. 

Lyanna knows it won’t work, but she tries anyway. Tries to call the wind to her. Even a whisper in her ears would be enough. But there was nothing. Of course there was nothing. She sighs slightly, taking in her new surroundings instead, trying not to think about it. She has no idea where they’ve ended up. Some forest. It looks so much like every other forest they passed through. It looks like Morham’s forests too, if you don’t know it the way Lyanna does. Not that she’ll ever see Morham again. 

She wants to be sad about everything that's happened. She is sad about it, if she’s being honest. But what good is dwelling on anything going to do her? So she sets her head high and waits to see just want this place will bring.

lyanna

image © harold.lloyd

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
The two of them were eerily similar, though of course the copper-splashed mare had no way of knowing that. Three years ago, she too had wandered alone in these woods, a fallen princess in search of her scattered family. Three years, Nasreen thought to herself with a touch of sadness. How much had changed since then! And yet here she was again, drifting through the trees like the lost souls who all inevitably seemed to wind up here. The Threshold was a place of simultaneous endings and beginnings, and perhaps on a subconcious level, it was why Nasreen had flown here from the desert. Perhaps, in her heart of hearts, the maiden was still searching for a beginning. She had abandoned the Edge in search of brother and kingdom and had returned empty-handed. But though Th’orqui’s smoking ashes lay behind her and that chapter of her life had concluded, it seemed that Nasreen had yet to turn the page. She had merely gone through the motions, praying that the change of scenery would keep her far enough from the names and faces of her past. However, even the hot desert gusts could not blow away the ghosts that still lurked in the mists of the Edge. With business left unfinished, she was floating in limbo between beginning and end—a leaf on the wind.

Not that she liked to think about it. Even as the memories plagued her, Nasreen fought valiantly against them, searching for a distraction to drown out their echoing whispers. She was of the mind that enough beauty would overshadow any lingering ugliness, and so she had decided to pay a visit to the forests that she missed so desperately in the desert. Orangemoon had always been her favorite season. She had been born in the autumn, and the sight of the foliage covering the trees like clusters of jewels always brought a smile to her face. And so, she browsed amongst the trees, taking in the scent of sap and decay and bathing herself in the colors of the leaves.

It was while she was walking along in this way that something prickled at the back of her brain, the familiar feeling that she was not entirely alone. For the moment, it did not alarm her—travelers often roamed these woods, and she had not expected her stroll to be a solitary one. “Hello?” Nasreen called into the trees. “Is anyone there?” 

OOC: Welcome to Helovia!

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa,
Feel lucky for what you have, when you have it. Happily ever after doesn’t mean happy forever.

Time. Time. Time.
With each breath she could feel it passing, but yet she remained lurking around the Threshold. She was beginning to think the true reason she was so timid about returning is that Auriel was there. Her game had to be perfect now, and if she only reinforced Auriel’s fears, she’d lose another child all over again. That would hurt, and honestly she doesn’t think she is capable of handling another emotional catastrophe. Edgar rubbed his head lovingly against her head, encouraging her to continue with confidence. Thus far she had done well, and if she continued on this path, she’d be able to slowly piece herself back together.

A whisper of a voice was carried through the air, as the duo picked up on it. So they began to meander their way over, weaving in and out of the trees. Eventually they spotted a copper Pegasus mare. She smelled strongly of the Throat, the dry air was very distinct. ”Hello there, are you from the Throat?” She queried. If that was so, it would be much easier to be nice to her. The Throat had a special little place in her cold heart. It was easier to face them than the Falls or the Basin.

But the shuffling of another caught the air. That was probably who this mare was looking for, still keeping her distance, Elsa called out too. ”Hey! Wherever you are, feel free to join us over here.” She added, quietly looking around. The mare was probably in plain sight, but Elsa didn’t see another. Might as well have a party of strangers in the middle of the woods. It would be the most normal thing in all of Helovia. Which in a way was kind of sad. Expecting the crazy and the bad to occur all the time wore away at her. Just a mundane season would be nice, no gods, no crazy deaths, no screaming. If that ever happened, she’d be preparing for the apocalypse.
"talk"
image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
"You Ain't Never Had a Friend Like Me!"

Rei had came back to the Threshold wish purpose. She was putting her plan in to return to Dragon's Throat into motion. The pegasus' heart soared whenever she took occasional flights over the dry land and it was the type of soaring that had nothing to do with her wings. She was eager to return. Her flights over were quick and she did not stay about long enough to recognize any faces or long enough for any to recognize her; the freckled mare stayed long enough to make sure that all was well in the herd she so loved. In order to make up for her time gone, not only would Rei return and become heavily involved, she would also bring along a newly recruited member.

In hindsight Rei knew she had done little to support her herd. Words that Bucephalus had once said to her burned her ears and renewed her ill deserved scorn towards the stallion. He had thought he had known it all and sure enough he had known more than she. Irritation set her tail to swishing which led to hoof stomping whenever a few strands got caught and tangled in with her tail feathers. Stomping, no matter how hard she slammed her hoof down, did not free the hair of her tail.

Eyes squinted to try to catch movement in the thick forest Rei scanned the area. There was a time whenever she would have simply crashed about in the forest until she happened upon a newcomer but now she had Anka. With Anka at her side there was usually more than enough crashing about from the pair but the otter had caught a cold after sneaking out one night to play with a pair of otter cubs she had met and befriended. Her bonded was a slightly uncomfortable weight sleeping between her wing and side nestled into Rei's feathers. 

Endlessly annoyed by the hairs tangled into her tail feathers Rei adjusted her wing to support Anka better and turned to fix the irritating mess. Her eyes widened and brightened whenever she turned to see another pegasus a few lengths behind her. 

Still poised to untangle the hairs a grin struck itself wildly across her face. "Hello! Welcom--" Rei's words of welcome were cut short by other voices that called out in the forest. She did not know how she felt at the thought of already bumping into other Helovians out recruiting. Rei had never been great at it and she had so much hanging on bringing another home with her. Looking a little crestfallen Rei turned to look in the direction of the voices.

Her gaze first fell on a pegasus she had a very vague recollection of but the other completely changed her expression and set Rei to grinning.
"Nasreen!" It had been so long that Rei did not recognize her friend's voice but upon seeing her there was no doubt. Through their bond the pegasus could feel Anka's groggy confusion about the excitement Rei felt.  

Rei
and Anka
/ image
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Kyra

It’s for the best.

She repeats this over and over in hear head and she wandered the forest, glancing toward the path she knew Adelene had taken. Every so often, she’d swerve off her path just a little bit, drawing closer to where, at this point, she can only guess her sister might be. But still. Every second away from the girl is painful and beautiful. 

She cannot help but worry about her sister, worry that she shouldn’t have let the girl go off on her own. But there are also moments when she can look at something and not be reminded of home. Trees that look different than her own forest. Voices that don’t sound like any she knew before.

Wait, voices?

She hears a hello first, then a call to join, following by another. Lyanna turns her gaze in the direction she thinks the sounds are coming from, and then after a few more moments, there’s another voice. Though this time, she can see the source. A white specked pegasus, and she finds that she’s relieved to see that there are other pegasi in this place. The thought hadn’t even crossed her mind until now, but what if there hadn’t been?

It could have been disastrous. She could have left her sister to fend for her own in a place without pegasi. Brilliant Lyanna. Just brilliant, she thinks to herself. At least this wasn’t the case. But still. She needed to be more careful.

Soon they spot the other two. A brown and white Pegasus, and one white and light blue.  Were they all pegasi here, or had Lyanna just happened to draw a crowd of her own species? She has no idea. But still, there’s some relief in the cluster of women that have managed to find her.

“Hello,” she says, realizing she’s probably been silent for a moment too long. She likes to think she can handle anything, likes to think Corben taught her the skills to survive. But still, it’s all a bit much at the moment. And Corben’s still dead. “I’m Lyanna. If you don’t mind my asking, where am I?”

She couldn’t have been the first to ask that question. Hopefully, anyway. She doesn’t want to sound like a fool. But she’s quickly realized she needs more information. If it’s not safe here like she thinks, she’s grabbing Adelene and they’ll be gone again. But the three around her reassure her. They seem kind, this place seems decent. Perhaps it really will be okay. 

lyanna

image © harold.lloyd

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
Sure enough, Nasreen was not wandering the woods alone. Soon after she had called out, an increasingly familiar form appeared amongst the trees. At the sight of the pale pegasus, the maiden smiled and nickered softly in greeting. Though she could not recall her name, Nasreen knew her by sight—they had met in happier times, she remembered: once on the floating island and again just recently at the beach. “Hello there,” the mare replied. She moved closer, bird in tow, and silently Nasreen marveled at the snow shower that followed in her wake. Magic was common here, but the wonder had not worn off for the copper maiden. “Are you from the Throat?” continued her almost-acquaintance in a pleasant tone. At the question, Nasreen’s smile faltered slightly, and she found herself hesitating. She was affiliated with the herd perhaps, but…her mind flickered to the godswoods of Th’orqui and to the mists of the Edge. The desert could never compare with either, but it was they who had taken her in. How could she repay them with such ingratitude, even if it was a small snub? “…Yes,” she said finally, though she was unable to suppress the whisper of a sigh in her voice, “that is where I live now.”

Nasreen had intended to return the question, but before she could even ask the pale mare what she was called, she heard her own name ringing through the woods. Her breath caught in her throat—so few addressed her with such warmth these days that it caught her off guard. Confused, she spun ‘round to see the beaming face of Rei staring back at her. Rei! she cried in happy surprise, rushing forward to bump noses should the spotted girl allow it. “How wonderful to see you again! How have you been?”

Perhaps the commotion had attracted others in the woods, for yet another winged mare appeared in the clearing. However, this face was unfamiliar to her. “Hello,” the stranger ventured, and Nasreen shifted toward the newcomer, giving her a kind nod and her full attention. “I’m Lyanna.”

“Nasreen,” the maiden returned, with another dip of her head. “If you don’t mind my asking, where am I?” the stranger continued. Nasreen’s ears pricked in interest at this turn of events. “You’re in the Threshold,” she replied, “And this is Helovia.”

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa,
Feel lucky for what you have, when you have it. Happily ever after doesn’t mean happy forever.

This painted girl was from the Throat, and Elsa visibly relaxed. It was much better to have competition she liked rather than dealing with the Basin. Granted, this mysterious mare who had yet to be seen was a Pegasus, but still. There was one time where a Basin member had shown up to recruit another race, and so Elsa could never be too sure. Following the brief confrontation, another one joined, Rei as she was named. And then another, who introduced herself as Lyanna.

Thank goodness the girl seemed to be in her right mind. Her questions and greetings were mundane and normal- something Elsa hadn’t seen in the Threshold in quite a while. Nasreen was quick to give her introduction and quick rendition of the all too familiar question of where. Her ears flickered lightly between the two, and Elsa offered a smile as she cut in after the Throat dweller. ”And I am Elsa. The Threshold is generally where newcomers are funneled in from. Many herd representatives often stop by to offer respite for those interested in finding a more permanent home.” Elsa shrugged, looking to the other girl in agreement. No use in lying when really a majority of people were here as herd representatives. ”I myself am here from the World’s Edge. If you are looking for a home, or I can offer you a temporary residence while you figure out what you want to do.” quietly she finished, passing off the spotlight to Rei. She wasn’t quite sure where Rei was from, but if she was friendly with those within the Throat, she was probably safe.

"talk"
[Eek! Sorry for the wait and the shortness, but wanted to get something in for you to keep things moving. <3]
image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
"You Ain't Never Had a Friend Like Me!"

"Lonely," Honesty slips from my lips following Nasreen's question of how I have been. The words were to quick for me to answer a perkier answer so I can do no more than shrug and smile, "so I have finally wisened up and came back." Oh how I regret ever leaving. I am quick to return the touch of my friend. I almost dread dropping my muzzle from hers. It has been so long since I have felt such a friendly touch and her eager greeting put tears of happiness to falling. "How about you?"

"Welcome Lyanna!" I take my turn to greet the mare with words paired with a sniffle and a smile; but I cannot think of much more to add to what has already been said. I also remember times where my chattiness has sent some away from me and at this moment in my life I do not know that I could handle rejection in the degree that some have given previously. Whether Lyanna follows me to the Throat or not I wish to befriend her. I take the more emotional route in my welcoming.

"I am Rei, and previously I lived here in the Dragon's Throat also." The love I feel for the herd land, even after having been gone from it for so long is thick in my voice. Memories tied to the Dragon's Throat make my words feel heavy. "Once the Throat has your heart no other will do." My words are heavy with joy and guilt.

Anka stirs on my back, the excitement has grown to be too great for her to resist even if she is sick. Distancing myself briefly from the others I kneel allowing her to slip from my back. Through our bond she can feel my own happiness over meeting Nasreen again and Anka prances to the pegasus on her stubby legs to meet the pegasus for herself.

Joy bubbles from my throat in the form of soft chirps as I watch my bonded roll about at Nasreen's hooves. It is one of the first times that Anka has met a friend of mine. Seeing her picking up random items from the forest floor to offer the other mares makes me wonder about one of my other dear friends. The Threshold always brings her to mind. Africa, the one who had led me from the Threshold to her home in the Throat. She had quickly welcomed me to call her herd home and had become an even quicker friend. "Nasreen, have you seen Africa lately?" I look to the others apologetically feeling as though I am interrupting Lyanna's special time of greeting. 

Rei
and Anka
/ image
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Kyra

It’s an interesting start to her new life. The mare Rei, though not new to this place, seems almost as lost a Lyanna. Almost, anyway, as she admits to finding her way home again. But of course, Lyanna can never find her way home. The longer she’s away, the more likely it is that she’d be killed on a sight if she ever tried to go back. No doubt the usurper’s influence would spread throughout Morham, and eventually, Lyanna would be nothing but a liability.

Here though, she could be whatever she wanted. This realization is finally beginning to settle on her. Here, the teal in her coat seems almost plain. Not necessarily all of her companions are colorful, but they are beautiful. Lyanna has always blended in with her family, certainly. She was mostly ignored, truthfully. But in Morham, the teal color screamed royalty everywhere she went. Even in the woods, horses bowed when she ran across others.

But not here. And it wasn’t sad or strange or terrible at all. She loved that she wasn’t a princess here. Loved that she was new, that she could pick her own life, that she could be anything and anyone. She didn’t have to learn about politics or smile when she didn’t mean it (though she could choose that life, if she decided it really was the one she wanted).

She could choose. What a brilliant, wonderful thought.

Her new companions explain where she is and where they are from, at least a bit. The places are just names to her though, and she is curious to know more. Besides, she’s not sure she knows just who she wants to be yet, and isn’t quite ready to choose. She turns her head again briefly, looking back in the direction she had come from, wondering how her sister is doing. She wants to go check, but knows she shouldn’t. Adelene was old enough to make her own choices.

She turns her head back, her turn in the conversation coming around again. “It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” She says, for once not because she has to, but because it actually is. They are all kind, and she is finally beginning to feel truly safe. At least, as safe as anyone can ever be. Life, Lyanna knows all too well, is terribly unstable.

“Would you mind telling me more about your homes? What are the others like? The landscape?” She can’t help it. There are so many questions rolling around in her head, though she stops there. It should be enough to decide. In the end, she was just going to have to plunge into this new life. But for the first time, she’s starting to feel excited about it.

Then she turns to Rei briefly, because it’s impossible not to notice the otter rolling about. “Who’s that?” she asks with a small smile. She’s not entirely unfamiliar with the concept of a companion, though she’s never actually seen one. She can only guess that the otter must be bonded to the mare, though she figures the question should be enough to learn a little more. There was going to be a lot to learn, it seems.

Best get started, right?

lyanna

image © harold.lloyd

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
Rei met her greeting with such sincerity that the girl could not help but feel touched. Though it had been seasons since they had last met, Nasreen harbored an inexplicable attachment to the spotted mare. They were kindred spirits, and the gentle press of Rei’s nose against her own brought her a comfort that she hadn’t experienced in a long time. Her heart ached at the smaller mare’s confession, for the sentiment was all too familiar. “Me too,” she whispered, large grey eyes growing unexpectedly moist. “Come back with me, Rei, and let’s sort ourselves out together,” Nasreen murmured, seeking her friend’s gaze. Her voice was low, meant for the spotted pegasus only, but it was earnest. How desperately she needed a friend in the desert!

However, Elsa’s introduction reminded her that they were not alone, and Nasreen turned towards the larger conversation once more, doing her best to be politely attentive despite the emotions that Rei’s return had unleashed. Though her expression grew wistful at Elsa’s mention of the Edge, she said nothing. Pine for it as she might, it was a place where she could not return without the shameful knowledge that she had abandoned her post. Still, she managed an encouraging nod at Elsa’s offer to the stranger. If Lyanna chose to accompany the wintry mare, it would be a decision well made. She would have full run of the forests, could explore the mists, would fall asleep to the lullaby of the waves against the cliffs…Realizing that she envied the teal-streaked newcomer, Nasreen felt a pang of guilt. While she had made her bed and now had to lie in it, thinking of the home she had lost was bittersweet and she found that she did not care to dwell on it any longer.

Therefore, at Lyanna’s second request, she happily obliged. Though privately, Nasreen felt that the scrubby desert where she now rested her head could not compare to the magnificent groves of trees that Elsa offered, she did her best to muster up some enthusiasm. “The Dragon’s Throat lies to the south,” she chimed in when Elsa had finished. “Though it is a desert island, it’s beautiful in its own way. Everywhere you look, you can see the sky—and we do have some magnificent sunrises,” Nasreen added with a little smile. “The god of the sun watches over our lands,” she continued, wondering what else there was to say about the place where she had now resided for nearly a year. She had been there long enough, yet still she knew little about her herdmates. Bucephalus had all but disappeared, and she hadn’t seen Ilios in ages. However, she did know one thing. “I haven’t lived there for many seasons,” she admitted, looking steadily at the stranger, “But they are a kind sort. They took me in, and I’m sure that they would extend the same offer to you, should you desire a home with them.” She paused, unsure of how to continue. Thankfully, Anka’s antics provided a welcome distraction. As the otter scrambled down from her friend’s back, Nasreen cooed in delight. “Is she yours?” she interrupted herself, looking to Rei. “How precious!”

As it turned out, Rei had a question of her own. While the otter gamboled in the grass, she inquired after Africa. Nasreen tilted her head, thinking back to the one-winged pegasus she had met with Rei. It had been ages ago, back before…no. Banishing the unpleasant memories of the Moon’s murders to the depths of her mind, she returned to the present, shaking her dome with a vague sadness. “No,” she replied, unhappy to disappoint. “I have not seen her since the day we raced, many seasons back. But,” she finished, in an attempt to soften the blow, “I too was away for a while. I’m sure that she won’t be hard to find.”

OOC: Oh my goodness, I am SO sorry for how long this took!! It slipped my mind, and I’m rather embarrassed that you had to wait so long—my apologies!

Image Link