the Rift

[PRIVATE] You have fallen and stood, now be lifted

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

She raced the dawn, or perhaps brought the dawn, was the dawn - none could know and she certainly wouldn't say. The new day drifted in the lilt of her luxurious tail feathers, stretched gradually across the realm of Helovia. Its brightening edge was like a sword that cleaved through the darkness, and her tail was its hilt. Each plume reached so long it seemed to extend into eternity; impossibly golden, rich in red, and so vibrantly orange she gleamed as she flew. She burned too, her tail and wing tips like streamers engulfed in fire and flame that burned, but never fell into the gray ruin of ash and charcoal.

She was fire.

A beady red eye tilted in the defined curved of her small head - she'd caught her reflection in the expanse of the Flats, the thin layer of salt and water returning the breathless image of her flight in such a way that even she was stunned. Her beak clicked in an avian smile of pleasure, while her chest expanded with pride and confidence that drew her flames into a flaring wave of exaltation. Gracefully she swooped around, spinning from the sky in a tightening circle, and it seemed as if a tornado of fire had descended upon the Flats.

The dawn continued on, but it was not any clearer if she was its carrier or not - perhaps she was one of many.

Settling on a small, round stone near the southwestern edge of the Sun's newest realm, the phoenix sat and set about preening herself. In the wake of her landing her tail fell around her in a wreath of fire, unhindered by the layer of moisture that covered the cracked terrain.

[Cera's decision to allow others to enter or not - there is no time limit so please don't feel rushed! I know the holidays can be busy :) ]

Image Credits

@Cera

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Cera
A hero's worth is measured by his heart

The Golden Prince was most often found traversing the thick golden sands of the Dragon's Throat, inseparable from the land of his birth and the domain of the Lord he'd sworn himself to. It was resplendent isolation, a familial cage he bound himself to willingly. There were no shackles round his ankles, no bars that he could not bend, shape, or break. Though the world was at his disposal, he'd never felt the need to roam the rolling expanse of Helovia, with its untouched treasures and miles to explore. The weight of the Throat, the responsibility of the land of his family, had never been a burden to him. He'd live his life as a pillar for the Throat, until death or alternative force exiled him. 

Still, he was as prone to flights of fancy as any other. Those realms that had been unveiled were unfamiliar to him, and though there was no looming assignment over his head to patrol the area, he found himself there on the brink of morning nonetheless. The flight had been a long one, hours rolling like water over smooth stones, starlight glittering in a sea of black, the ocean glinting silver beneath him and Ilaria a spot of warmth and love upon his shoulder blades. The wind had embraced him, autumn cool and errant over the waves, and though he had no partiality to land masses of the wilds, he found himself with his heart aimed to the east. The sun-struck mirrored lands where he'd fought on behalf of his Lord against the crocodile god. 

Look, Ilaria breathed into the space between their hearts, a thrummed wire down the line of their connection, and he lifted his emerald eyes to the sun as it began to peek over the horizon. Fina? It came unbidden, a heartbroken plea, a moment of doubt and insecurity. It was like seeing your loved one's face in a stranger passing by, feeling your heart stop and trip inside your chest, familiarity too fast for the slow remembering of grief and reality. Ilaria's paralleled mourning - for it was destined to be eternal, no matter how many years passed - floated up against him, tinged with her desire to comfort and heal. Cera had always suspected it was why she had been gifted with that particular ability. 

Still, the pair were captivated, their grief melting away beneath the splendor and beauty presented to them. The phoenix seemed larger than life, streaking across the sky with pigment etched across her tail feathers, burning the night and replacing it with the crimson and gold of a new day. The Prince tilted his own wings to follow her course, a child blindly following her ethereal light, as surely as his past self had trailed behind Fina. He was like a sunflower, always turning to face the sun, the light, the brightness that warmed and enveloped him like nothing else could. Even in the darkest of nights and blackest of despairs, he had his faith. No creature like she, a blinding comet of power and grace, could ever come from the benediction of any aside his Lord. She embodied his elements, and drew the world's hours across the land like a shimmering curtain of hues. Yet she trailed down in fire and flames and embers, a vortex of burning, dangerous heat. Even in beauty alone, there is power. There is danger. 

Cera dipped beneath the subdued rays of morning she'd brought to fruition, gentling his descent until he touched down in the distance away from her, ripples of water spreading from around his ivory hooves. Was it even a her? Some ambiguous androgynous creature? Was he still so inexplicably tied to the memory of Fina that he could not assume any other would have a different gender? Be careful Cera, Ilaria warned quietly from where she'd shifted to stare over his shoulder at the glimmering creature. Neither of them had forgotten the defeated god from the Flats. Was this another? But surely she would bring destruction instead of beauty, right? But it did not mean she could not potentially be a trespasser. 

Still, the Prince approached slowly, almost reverently. It was wrong of him to see Fina in her, to feast upon her appearance with eyes of avarice if only to fool himself into believing it. He allowed himself this singular sin for just a moment before closing his eyes to rid himself of the notion. Midas was dead, as was Fina.

The phoenix was illuminated in fire, and he prostrated his wings before her in a bow, though his eyes lingered on her form. Careful, always careful. But even he knew how to pay respects, homage to her efforts and the familiarity he saw in her elements. Still, feeling the softness of the silty base beneath him, the water coalescing against his hooves, he could not help tilt his head and regard her quietly. He wanted to ask her whether it bothered her, but her serenity led him to assume that it did not. There was a far more important question lingering on his tongue, anyways. 

"Do you often bring the dawn to us?" He prayed she would be able to answer him, though Cera fondly remembered the Earth Turtle from the Veins. The one who had offered him wisdom, patience, and hope. Perhaps Helovia would play her magical hand once more, reveal to him the meaning behind this encounter. Cera believed the Gods, the fates, would always steer him true. If he was meant to be here, he would not scorn the proffered opportunity. Instead he levied an eager, soft smile at the avian queen, and his own wings softened and clasped at his sides. A hopeful student, to learn of her powers, her spirit. Perhaps some aspects of the Diviner still lay within him, for his pursuit of knowledge was a hungered beast. 

- - -

AHHH I'M SO EXCITED

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Helovian Ancient

She saw him, them, coming long before they drew near. With her keens eyes she likely saw them before she had even landed, but she certainly saw them now, reflected off the salt fields in their arrival and declension. All the while she continued to preen herself, as if the turnings of the world and its inhabitants beyond the rise of the dawn were so inconsequential to her they weren't worth noticing.

Ah, but she had noticed and he, he bowed.

The phoenix stopped her movements, a clever eye tilting in the frame of her flame-illuminated facade to better watch the Golden Prince. It was difficult to tell given her nature, but it seemed as if her beak wore itself in a smile. It was a playful, knowing sort of grin, one that her gaze amplified as she turned it fully upon the southern stallion and his charge.

"Do I bring the dawn, or does it bring me?" her voice lilted from the slender part in her beak with a fluid ease and pleasant grace; she wore the face of fire that was wanted, the one that was warm and guiding and entrancing. There was no doubt however, that she could just as easily wear the other side of fire, yet that danger, as always, made her all the more beautiful. She purposefully played on it, seeming to enjoy the aura of mystery that she worked to exude.
"Sometimes it is better not to know, don't you think?" She paused, flexing her wings with a series of flaps before resettling. "Ruins the magic of the world, for which there is so very little left, despite how full it is."

Her head swiveled suddenly towards him, facing him directly, which was different from her half-glances and partial recognition as she finished her grooming task. Whether she was simply complete, or if she finally felt him worthy of commanding her full attention, was just another one of those never to be answered questions. "I do wonder though," she began, the words drawling like hot candle wax from her bill. She clicked it together in audible thought as she pondered. Seemingly decided on what she wondered, the phoenix pressed on, "what did you think of it?" Although it might not have been entirely clear at first what she was referring to, her anxious and demanding stare seemed to suggest their last topic, the dawn. As she awaited his reply, a single, clawed tow clicked on the rock expectantly.

The phoenix had no way of knowing just what she meant to the stud. As godly as she might seem, she lacked some of their greater talents - but surely someone knew, to design that these two meet on this fortuitous day.

Image Credits

Cera

She regarded them with half-glances and the elegant slide of red against their figures before her, not quite arrogant enough to be haughty nor shy enough to be demure. Cera patiently awaited her attention in the silence of the new morning, beneath the colors she had drawn around them like gossamer curtains and the weight of her own importance. He wondered if he was presumptuous, to assume that not only her tongue could bear the weight of Helovian dialect but that she would speak to him at all. Even the Gods had retreated slowly over the years, to their heavenly thrones and celestial duties. Yet Cera had a powerful weapon inside him, one that had slashed against the darkness for years, and it coiled and pulsed inside him as surely as it did on any dark night. A soft, glowing hope. That she would find him worthy, that he may learn from her. Derive wisdom from her grace, her purposeful cleansing and importance in life. 

One must first be a student before they are a teacher, Cera reminded himself peacefully as he gazed at the ruby-eyed avian. Clever eyes finally turned to him as he bowed, his too-big wings sweeping idly across the thin water atop the sands. Even in his age he still appeared to be a child, but he was too secure in himself these days to realize it. He was enraptured by her gaze, the smooth lilt of her voice as it was delivered to him. Static raced across his skin in a shiver of excitement, a wave of benediction delivered from the sharp, predatory curve of her beak. She did not await his answer, her own wings spreading in a glorious display of colors and embers that ghosted their color across the Prince's face. She was far more impressive than he, delivering further questions instead of answers - a habit that reminded him of the Gods and their mysterious rhetorical questions. But Cera had always learned to find his answers from them, and they'd never led him astray. He hoped she would not, either. 

Before the silence could descend upon them, a sign that he should answer, her elegant head turned to face him directly. Cera poised frozen before her, attentive as he awaited the deliverance of whatever she deemed important enough to gaze upon him so fiercely. The clicking of her beak was familiar, the trill of her vocals seeming to promise the music phoenix companions seemed so fond of. Lullabies that had heralded his dreams for many years laying in the throaty purr of her words as they trickled like melting wax and candlelight between he and her. He took a moment to savor her words, so concise they were as they delivered themselves upon his ears. This question was one he was intended to answer, emphasized by the clicking of her claw against the stone beneath her. Cera did not rush into an answer, though the tapping could be taken as a sign of impatience. A hasty method of replying insinuates a hasty mind, Ilaria reminded him primly, though Cera had been thinking it himself. He mulled over it quietly, though his eyes never wandered far from the flame-cloaked creature that sat perched expectantly before him. When he found an answer he found suitable, he hummed softly in his throat and spoke. 

"As a mortal, I can't say for sure," he noted softly, lips smiling and eyes like green velvet with a love that encompassed both she and the light she had brought. "A system cannot work without its essential parts, but it is just as true that without the system, the part has the potential to be rendered useless." Of course you would relate this to crafting, Ilaria scoffed fondly in his head, and Cera's smile only twitched and grew wider beneath the fond scolding. "But you are an independent entity, miss. In your solitude you have your own magnificence, just as the dawn does should it truly not be your task to deliver it, and thus assuming it stands alone." Don't get off topic, warned softly inside his head, and Cera flushed hot across his cheeks in a way that being too close to the phoenix could not explain away. He cleared his throat softly, a bit embarrassed to be delving too deep into a question she may have wanted a simple answer to. 

"You said it may be best to not know. I think it is an exercise of the mind to at least wonder, to turn the possibilities and examine it from every angle. I learned a long time ago that a narrow mind is the greatest flaw to possess." Gazing around pointedly at the vibrant colors streaking across the sky, Cera smiled. "But...I believe it is also the choice of every individual to decide whether they want to know the truth of the magic or not, contemplation of it aside. Knowledge is power, in its own way, but even the strongest mind can crumble beneath power. So knowledge can also be crippling." Like the knowledge of his father's death, or the knowledge that evil existed that still lay scarred across his chest from when a unicorn stallion had tried to kill him when he was a babe. He had not succumbed to it, but he had experienced the darkness of it all, and only his faith had shattered the illusion in the end. 

"My answer holds no weight, it's pure speculation." At least he would forewarn her, aware of the spill of words that were sure to flood off his tongue. Cera always had talked too much when it came to religious topics such as these. Head tilted to regard her, almost the same as she had peered down upon him when he had first arrived before her. He did not give his answer immediately, instead letting his tongue curl around the process of his thoughts before sharing any attempted definitive answer. "I believe every creature of the Sun feels a connection to the light, a desire to be within its embrace. The dawn may therefore bring you to it, as a sort of kinship. But you may bring it as well, for like a flame, the light inside of us spreads outwards when we hold it in our souls. It may not be your godly or magical duty to bring the dawn," Cera made sure to enunciate the distinction, for his answer would not make much sense without it. "But I believe every follower, convert, or daughter -" here he tipped his muzzle towards the phoenix, for even if she was not the direct offspring of his Lord she was still a child of fire and flame, and so he would dub her as such " - of the Sun will unintentionally spread the brightness they harbor, either in flames or soft kindling light. You may very well bring the dawn, in that way. The Lord of the Sun may have even made it your duty, like the system I spoke of earlier. Perhaps he is the head and the echelons continue down, duties distributed across them. In that case, He would bring you into being, and you would in turn bring the dawn."

Answer her, then. Stop talking in circles. Ilaria rolled her eyes fondly at Cera, nudging him along mentally as his thoughts drew to a close. "I know the Lord of the Sun embodies it wholly, and we are merely sundrops that emerge from Him and spread His light on His behalf. With that personal belief, be it fact or fancy, my answer is sure to divert from those of others. For I would say that the dawn is therefore His domain, and you are His child as surely as I believe myself to be. Which would make my answer - the dawn brings you." Pale wings settled against his side, though they twitched and trembled with excitement, wanting to volley this discussion with her freely instead of standing like a pupil before a professor at an examination. Although he was somewhat comforted by the fact that she had asked for his opinion and what he thought on the subject, so his answer could neither be correct nor incorrect. "We may seek to be alongside Him as much as possible, to achieve the same brilliance as He by seeking equality - but unless you are another God, that is not a possibility. The light is His domain, and even if it is your sworn duty to draw it across the world, it would still belong to Him. And if you are His child as well, then regardless of your duty, the dawn will bring you instead of the other way around, for you would merely be a disciple of His teachings." Head bowed in sudden embarrassment, afraid to have insulted her with his faith.

"These claims are all dependent upon my personal faith, which is why my answer is attuned to my intimate beliefs. You may laugh at them freely, for you are surely closer to the gates of godhood than I am. You could even attempt to discredit them by breaking the magic you spoke of earlier, the reason why we should be content not knowing. But my faith has not been shaken, and I could not say what I would think of your answers." And finally even the reverberation of his wings settled, and his smile grew warm and brilliant across his face, like liquid fire. "The truth is, I don't need to know whether you bring the dawn or it brings you. I may want to know, and that is why I initially asked you it, but..." Cera cast his eyes to the rising sun on the horizon, and his smile turned less gleeful, softening into something settled and bone deep. 

"I trust the workings of my Lord. So I do not need to know. If you are acting on His orders, if you are some alternate god...it does not matter much in the way of my faith. My curiosity has no impact on my answer, nor on my belief in Him. And my respect for you would never waver, regardless of the answer or your duties." They were both children beneath the Sun, after all. Cera laughed softly, abashed by his own babbling. "I'm afraid you asked quite the wrong person for their opinion," he noted, eyes glimmering with amusement. "I apologize for speaking so much on such a flexible, inadequate answer. But I appreciate you asking for my opinion." It was not her fault that he could not attribute godhood to her in his mind, which would have led him to saying she brought the dawn. His Lord came first and foremost, and he could put no other God above him, which meant she fell beneath the Sun God's domain and most surely could not bring the dawn on her own without his permission. It was simply an answer derived from his steadfast, burning spirituality. 

- - -

Cera talks way too much and I am so sorry for whoever has to read and respond to this

Helovian Ancient

He was quiet at first, and it seemed to suggest that his personality would follow suit. not shy exactly, as he had approached a bird that was on fire after all, but certainly not the loquacious devil his tongue proved him to be.
As Cera began to talk the phoenix's head cocked to the side, ready for an answer. His initial response was muddled and confusing though, and her gaze thickened in an attempt to understand. Her head tilted back and forth, and a few times her beak parted as if to talk, only to have the silence filled once more by Cera, whom's pause was only to gather breath or thought. After a time she stopped trying, and with that release came clarity, spun gradually by his tale and woven into something of a mischievous amusement that curled the edges of her mouth. Her toe had stopped its rhythmic pulse many verbs ago, settling in for a more patient conversation.

Only when she was certain that the stallion, so clearly called Golden Prince for more than his color, had finished speaking did she once more attempt the feat herself.
"My," she began, like a mother hen clucking at her brood, "that certainly is a long winded way of saying I don't know" She meant the jibe all in good humor, and her beak was parted with a quiet, panting laugh to prove as much. "I had only wished to know if you liked this particular dawn, Sun's son." She had no idea her inquiry would launch such a soul-searching evaluation of his own question, her answer clearly insufficient for his needs. Still, he entertained her, and the humor in the situation snuffed out any temper that she might normally have displayed.

Clever gods she thought smugly, teaching her as much as she was teaching him.

"I can see why you've been chosen," she murmured, as if to herself, but the thought spun like audible gold, soft but glittering and precious. Quickly she moved on, her thoughts once more held captive behind the mystery of her gaze and her smile. "I do appreciate your opinion though, so perhaps you could help me with a riddle I'm stumped on." She paused, watching for his reaction and gathering her speech so that it would be perfectly clear for him.

"There is a field of grain that grows beneath the glory of the sun. The grain grows slowly, and it is sensitive, but it feeds many. There is a mouse that eats the grain every day, though a mouse is not so large, is it? It eats the grain so that it is quick enough to run from the hawk that watches above. The hawk eats several mice, but rarely every day. It eats the mice so that it is strong enough to fly.

Do you choose to help the grain, the mouse, or the hawk, Golden Prince? And before you think too deeply, yes you must choose one to help."

Image Credits

Cera

His embarrassment was profound, but even in it he found it within himself to smile, berating himself for his proclivities towards philosophy and endless, circular questions. He felt the fool to have misunderstood her, but she was a gracious and patient listener, and he could not find any regret littered within his mind at the current moment to have stolen her time so stupidly. “’I don’t know’ is just another way of saying ‘I will find out someday’, to me,” the cherub joked, for he could feel no ill in her presence. Ilaria was chiding him softly for his misunderstanding, and he turned and made a face at her. As if you didn’t make the same mistake! Not that the proud panda would even deign to reply to that particular fact, much less admit to her own shortcomings. Cera rolled his eyes fondly before returning his attention to the flaming avian, casting his eyes obediently to the dawn she’d drawn across the sky like a glimmering curtain.

“It is a masterpiece,” Cera admitted softly, as if speaking any louder would shatter the illusion of grandeur that still awed him so deeply. He could never hope to understand his Lord’s domain entirely, but he would always hold an anchored respect and love for the physical manifestations of that power. It was why he also gazed upon the phoenix with such admiration, for she embodied more fully than he the aspects of his Lord’s power. Cera would give anything to have that kind of gift bestowed upon him. He’d devoted his entire life to the Throat and the Sun, and he’d been granted many boons because of it. One such being purpose.

Chosen? It lingered in his mind and on his tongue, but was not spoken. It was so soft an admission, one he was unwittingly privy to, and he suddenly wondered exactly how deeply the Gods were involved in this particular meeting. Not that it changed much of the circumstances. Cera had never been the type to lie to himself or to others in any fashion, and he’d not alter his behavior even if he were aware that she was there to judge him in some way.

The riddle she presented was one Cera had contemplated as a child; the Circle of Life as Midas had aptly described it. But there was so much more to the balance of the world than three main players and a common enemy. Still, she had bid him not to think too deeply on it. But Cera only had one answer to give, this time.

“Help the grain,” he stated simply, eyes calm like untouched sea glass. “In the Throat, in any herd, it is the leader’s job to ensure the well-being of the whole. You could even call it the greater good. There are hard decisions to be made, and some will result in loss and grief. But life goes on regardless, and though some may have to fend for themselves, the leader tries to ensure that as a united whole, as a herd, we are as safe as can be ensured.” It reminded him quite a lot of Gaucho, truly. Some sad, wandering souls may cross the sands in the Throat. They may suffer alone. But Gaucho’s decisions were made to support, protect, and provide for the majority. Perhaps the Gods did so too, but on a far larger scale. “It was how I had come to try and understand the murders – for the sake of Helovia at large, something had to be sacrificed. A leader does that, too.”

Pale hooves touched idly at the thin layer of water on top of the sand, his own distorted appearance flickering back at him. Optics turned towards the avian. “The field supports more than the mice, and the mice support more than the hawk. But the grain, it supports the most. The circle of life has a balance to it, and the hawk and the mouse are subjected to it. They fail, or they triumph. But without the grain there would be no deer, no sanctuary for a large cat to stalk its prey within, no nourishment for any creature that is sustained by it. If the field were to go barren, the mice would all be eaten by the hawks, but then the hawks would starve – for there would be no more mice, if there was no food to sustain them. Take away the grain…and both of the others die.” Cera shrugged his thin shoulders, for there was no other answer within his mind. Do what is good for the whole, and pray that all others who fall outside of that realm have the strength to carry on. 

@Random Event because this is a bit old from my absence!

Helovian Ancient
(01-03-2016, 11:47 PM)Random Event Wrote:

His answer is immediate and decisive, nothing like his prior response, and her eyes seem to whirl with interest at the complex layers this stallion offered. Of course, his active tongue does not change, filling in any lingering questions or otherwise. It draws humor from her, visible in just the slightest lift of the edges of her beak, where the delicate weapon melds with the feathery flare of her skull.

"Spoken like a true Prince," she murmurs, drawing her head from the lowered position it had sunken to in order to observe him. Pulling herself up and into herself, the phoenix resumed her more regal stance, as if to compete with his name and his choice. "One who thinks of all, and does what is best for the many." His answer helped show her some of his character. A kind horse or a shy horse may have picked the mouse, not wanting the poor creatures to be eaten and knowing they had other foods to eat besides grain. A warrior or a proud horse might have picked the hawk, for its evaluated worth was often deemed greater than mice or grain by those who felt themselves worthier. Yet Cera chose the grain, and what's more, seemed to have already had an answer ready.

She was narrowing in on him now, but there was one more question she'd need to decide how best to fulfill her god's quest this day. "So tell me then, keeper of the grain, how do you presume to help it?" She was tempted to ask only that, for that was the heart of the matter, but given their past words she was sure he would answer deeply. Better to give him some options, she decided quickly. "Do you defend it from those who wish to eat it all and trample it? Do you make it tougher, so that it is not so easy to eat and trample? Or do you hide it, so that it is difficult to find to eat and trample?" Her beak parted with an open pant of anticipation, and as she waited she seemed to spot some stray feathers which she quickly put back into place.

Image Credits

Cera

Cera was not unaware of the title that seemed to trail across the lands in regard to his efforts, though he still did not always understand how or why. He seemed as forgettable and replaceable as any other, at times, no matter his inherent belief that all souls held purpose. How any large body of people came to know him, much less find him princely...it was humbling, and he always felt a mixed flush of pleasure and embarrassment spread through him whenever someone idly mentioned it. Truthfully Cera forgot about the title more often than not, though in his heart of hearts he dreamed, hoped, and aspired to be a true Prince. An orphan with a family cursed to disappear or die, all he wanted was to grow from Gaucho's shadow and find his place in the Throat. To make Gaucho - who he still could not discern between brother and father - proud of him. 

That this proud, beautiful creature that he envied and respected would deem to know him by and call him as Prince...it was an honor, and it swept through him like the wind across the desert. Maybe he was worthy of it, if she spoke it so simply, as if it were fact. Maybe there was more to himself than he first believed. Ilaria preened from his withers, ridiculously pleased. You always deserved the title, she noted smugly. "Thank you," he said sincerely instead, incapable of ignoring such a momentous compliment. She could depart from him immediately in that moment, and he would walk away from the encounter a changed and grateful soul. Yet she seemed to find something further inside him to question him upon, pick apart and analyze. He stood complacently before her, still riding the high of her compliment, merely soaking in her elegant company. 

She seemed far less like Fina now, and Cera wasn't sure whether he was happy about that or not. 

Her final question seemed almost as easy - in Cera's mind, of course - to answer as the previous one had been. But he still gave her the same respect of considering it, rolling it around in his head before putting it into finalized words. But it never lacked the core values that Cera inserted into every question he answered for her. "You water it," he said softly, feeling a bit melancholic, aware of the words he intended to use to explain himself. If she didn't grow tired of him constantly talking.

"You will be inevitably trampled in life. Grief and pain will find you, even if you train hard. Even if you hide away, or others try to defend you from it. And grain is meant to be eaten, to sustain others, to maintain balance." It was difficult not to see himself in the metaphor, but it was what he intended to base it upon. But he could not forget that he was also speaking about grain. "Nurture it, instead. Give it nutrients in the soil and water from the skies so that it may grow strong on its own. You cannot delay the inevitable, and it will never grow stronger if you leave it untouched. And it cannot help the mouse or the hawk by being hidden away or made too tough to eat." Ilaria patted his shoulder comfortingly, quiet descending upon the golden boy. It reminded him too deeply of Midas, especially staring into a face that was quickly reminding him of Fina once more with the revived memories. Though he had many qualms with the man's methods and manner of relationships, he'd nurtured Cera. He'd never hidden the Prince away from war, always explained the brutal truths of the world, so that Cera might be prepared but not thrust directly into the path of agony. He had been, eventually, but it was the thought that counted. 

"Everything has a function," the Prince finished softly. "I would not change the nature of grain to try and spare it, when it would harm so many others. I would give it the tools it needed to be strong on its own, to live a healthy life growing, and die a meaningful death sustaining the creature that fed upon it." And a small smile pulled at pale lips, because for a moment he could almost see Midas behind the phoenix's shoulder, nodding his agreement. Maybe he was a bit more like his father than he thought, in some ways. 

@Random Event

Helovian Ancient

That he chooses none of her choices does not surprise her at this point. Cera liked to wander off the beaten path, to explore and wonder and learn, and it was something she could appreciate in him. Much better to have something with spirit than a dullard, even if the latter was easier to orchestrate. This was why he had been chosen, she was sure of it now. His final answer helped her decide what to bestow him with.

Attentively she listened, doing well not to take a breath and expect to speak just because he lapsed into brief silence. She could tell now he wasn't done, his full path not yet explored. His thoroughness was commendable, and she took it not only as a sign of his nature, but as respect to her inquiry, a notion which pleased her immensely. Her neck stretched up with the pride of it, her posture taller, straighter.

She was tempted to ask him more, to ponder over this hypothetical grain and how he supposed just watering it more might accomplish the goals he sought. She withheld however, for fun as she was having int his moment with him, her time was not so easily squandered, and he was not her only errand for the day. So as his breath seemed to come to a final close, she smilled, and the movement seemed to touch a new light into her grand eyes. Her wings spread wide, flames trailing off the edges of the feathers and wreathing her in light as she held them out gloriously at her sides.

"Spoken well, Golden prince," she praised. "You should be nurtured too and left to grow strong and capable on your own. For that, take this gift." Her wings flapped and flames wafted towards him, bright and sudden, but they would not burn, not this time. Where the fire would lick his skin, a shiny material appeared, gleaming sterling and pale in the lights cased in all directions by her inferno. It stretched across his chest and up his neck. It cradled his stomach and slid against his flanks. It snaked down his forelegs and slithered along the ridge of his wing. Gleaming bright and powerful, Cera was now armored.

"Much better," she commented as her wings stilled at her sides and the fires died down back to her feathers. "Now, treat yourself well Golden Prince. I know you've the power to extend such to those around you, but consider yourself the grain and grow!" she trilled, happy, then lifted suddenly from her perch on the rock and raced back up into the heavens, the sight of her soon lost amid the intolerable brightness of the daylight.

Congratulations! Cera has earned a custom item of armor - the enchantment is up to you!
[Item: Armor | Silver-enforced ivory armor that covers chest, forelegs, the foremost bone of his wings, flanks, neck, and stomach. Straps are a combination of leather and chain]
Image Credits