the Rift

Bright-eyed and Broken

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

Caneo's thoughts swarm at something hiding in periphery. He watches it without watching, waiting for the thing in his head to surface as he eyes the mare. All this fires in reaction to her; she means something, but he can't remember what. Did they meet before? Was she a member of the Basin - but no horn. Something else, then. Eyes a little harder than they were a moment ago, he studies the white framing her features. Dark makes a trick of everything; rarely has Caneo ever wished for morning, but now he almost does.

Of course, he takes the path etched by patience, instead. The almost-stranger answers his question with a question. This conversation hums pleasantly somewhere in his chest, banishing whatever sharpness welled in there before. The hollowness of him will never vanish - cannot be filled - but maybe for a portion of this night he can pretend to forget. Laughter silvering his voice, he says, "I guess not." Past encounters taught him the threshold forest was a place for winning minds, but maybe something else moves her feet - or maybe she is more cunning than the rest. He wonders, briefly, if his mind is close to being won, but after five years walking this earth, Caneo's heart still sings for no one.

(fireflies dance, treacherous, in a discarded memory)

When the stranger asks her next question, Caneo's ears twitch, betraying surprise. Almost flattered, he laughs. "Are you sure you weren't looking for me, Huntress?" But silently, Caneo wonders what sort of game this is. He keeps half an ear cocked to the rest of the night as he glances, once more, at the wolf. Perhaps they have met somewhere else; he passed through too many places on his last visit here, and remembered all of them too poorly.

But he does remember cold.

Maybe this meeting is worth more than killing time, if he wants it to be. Caneo recalls the very real emptiness of his guts during his last months in Helovia and the kindness of his mood declines. He will not - cannot - weather that again. He says nothing about it, but the truth of cold starvation colors his thoughts when he next speaks. "I guess I don't mind staying here a little longer," Caneo allows, "but how can I keep you company from so far away?" He cocks his head, all innocence. "I'm harmless compared to your friend."

full image

ooc | @Essetia I think I mentioned moonlight in an earlier post, so yes, definitely night!

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Bright-eyed and Broken - by Caneo - 12-20-2015, 02:27 AM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Essetia - 12-20-2015, 11:26 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Caneo - 12-21-2015, 12:56 AM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Essetia - 12-21-2015, 12:15 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Caneo - 12-21-2015, 11:46 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Essetia - 12-22-2015, 10:46 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Caneo - 12-23-2015, 12:29 AM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Essetia - 12-23-2015, 10:36 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Caneo - 12-23-2015, 11:46 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Essetia - 12-27-2015, 09:34 PM
RE: Bright-eyed and Broken - by Caneo - 12-28-2015, 12:46 AM