the Rift

Let You Down[Kanti]

Sandman Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Sandman
There's something I'm not revealing...

The land was covered with snow, glittering faintly in the fading light of the setting sun and tinted pink with the reflection of the ruddy light. Icicles hung delicately from the bare trees that dotted the landscape, a beautiful gift of nature. A river flowed gently, ice crusting along it’s edges but unable to blanket the moving water completely. It seemed peaceful here, and almost magical with it’s fae decorations of glimmering white and shining translucence. A few stars were beginning to appear overhead, opposite of the spectacular riot of colors that surrounded the crimson solar disk low in the west. Sights such as this were few and far between, and few would have been able to resist stopping to admire the view.

Sandman was one of the few. Frostfall had always been the bane of his existence, freezing cold and often wet besides. He thought longingly of the dry arid desert where he had been born. Despite his time spent living among a mountain herd, he had never taken to icy weather, much preferring heat to chill. He plodded his way through the annoying stuff, feeling it matting into the long fur around his hooves and the bottom of his tail. Just his luck to arrive in Helovia during his least favorite season. And of course, it was one of the worst Frostfalls he’d ever experienced in his 9 years. Freaking fantastic.

Boredom soured his mood further, making the normally calm stallion rather irate. There didn’t seem to be much to do around here, and most sane horses were holed up somewhere more sheltered than this. He thought idly of the only other he had met thus far, a stag named Valentine. I wonder if he’s alright... When he had left the unicorn, the ash-colored steed had accidentally run out onto thin ice and was fighting to reach solid ground before plummeting down into the frigid water. Ah well, no matter. They had only spoken for maybe 20 minutes, and Sandman had felt no attachment to the stallion. It would be unfortunate if he had either drowned or if the cold killed him, but that was life. Some win, some lose.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Kanti Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Sunset was the most beautiful time of day. Something about the brilliance of the horizon: the orange globe sinking slowly beneath the surface of the earth; the golds, reds, and pinks that coated the sky; the fading eastern blues into star-speckled black - it was simply beautiful. And during Frostfall, these colors were reflected by the snowy ground, making every color even more vivid. Time seemed to stop and the world stood still; and then the sun sank below, and the moment was over. And then the night began.

The golden-painted filly trotted through the snow, her hooves plowing a path through the newly fallen beauty. Her pelt glowed, reflecting the yellow tint of the sunset, but also taking on a russet hue as a continuation of the sun's crimson shades. It was quite pretty on the young fae, though she was not vain enough to know this. In fact, her sky blue orbs faced the setting sun, absorbing its colors in awe. She found herself absorbed in the beauty of the moment, completely oblivious to her surroundings. Perhaps this is why she did not, at first, notice the palomino stallion as he came into her view.

When she did notice, she came to an abrupt halt. Auds pricked, eyes focused. He was a lone stallion. He wasn't in the Threshold, so like as not he wouldn't need somewhere to stay this Frostfall. But he was alone, and for Kanti, that was unacceptable. As a femme that could not stand being lonely, she often took it upon herself to join her fellow lonely travellers. One day, this would probably come back to bite her - the youthful naivete with which she generally trusted strangers would simply not do - but for now, it was enough for her to just be friendly.

Hooves were picked up again, carefully stepping through the drifts as she neared the steed. Stretching her nape out, she called a greeting: "'Lo there!" A smaller mare, she found herself floundering for a moment in a slightly higher drift; leaping free, she arrived beside the stag. "Would you mind some company?" It was a simple enough question. Should he say yes, she would cheerfully chatter away as they wandered through the land. Should he say no, she would leave, a bit put out, of course, as she could not understand why others were not as friendly as she.

[W/C | 400]

Unregistered

Sandman

A flicker of movement caught the draft’s attention, audits swiveling toward the unknown being that soon revealed itself to be a mare. No, he decided as she came closer, not mare. Flicka. A fine one too, her pelt reflecting the gold and crimson display of the heavens. She seemed enthralled by the flaming colors that painted the sky, and for the time being he kept silent, allowing her to take in the view. He’d be spotted soon enough. There had been a time where he too would have stared at this glorious sunset, drinking in the vibrant hues and feeling something akin to awe.

A brief time later the filly came to a sudden stop, focusing in his direction, presumably on him. This was confirmed when she headed his way, having hesitated for only the briefest of moments. He halted so she could catch up to him more easily, scenarios playing out in his mind only to be discarded almost as soon as they formed. A smile was brought out to cross his maw, radiating kindness and joy. “Lo there!,” she called as she grew closer, and the stag quickly analyzed the sweet voice and friendly tone. He felt that she would be quite amusing, at least for a while. Or perhaps he would decide to keep her. But for now, he still had to gain her trust.

She was beside him now, having just fought her way from a pile of snow. She has blue eyes, he noted, finding that he liked the bright azure color that distance had obscured from him earlier. Truly a stunning flicka, and certain to grow into an even more amazing mare. Her question recalled his thoughts from their ramblings, and his smile grew. Massive pillars shifted, bringing him around to directly face the little one, and forelegs lowered him into a bow, crown dipping down so far that his muzzle skimmed the snow. “I would be delighted to have your company, little princess.” Chocolate orbs gleamed up at her from behind his flaxen forelock, full of false sincerity. He maintained the bow for another few seconds before he rose to tower over her once again, though he made certain to keep from appearing intimidating. “My name is Sandman. Might I have the honor of knowing the name of a beauty such as yourself?”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered

Every young filly dreams at least once of finding a Prince Charming to whisk her away into a fantasy. All of the dreams are remarkably similar: some handsome steed will appear, all charm and grace and kindness, and will fall irrevocably in love with the not-quite-grown, not-quite-child flicka, and they will have a whirlwind courtship filled with vows of undying adoration and flashy shows of affection. They will then become a pair, never to be parted, always to be together. They'll grow old, mate - the fillies always giggle at this, of course, as it is so inconceivable to their young minds - and have younglings of their own. And then, at some ripe old age, they will die, their minds and hearts full of the one they love for eternity.

Unbeknownst to the young faes, love doesn't work in quite that fashion. And yet, they dream away until the day that a love sparks and dies in front of them, until they are betrayed or hurt by their 'soul mate.' And then their dreams wither and become vague hopes buried under painful memories. For some, hopes become reality; for others, they don't. Such is the way of the world - a way that Kanti had yet to discover.

It was the Prince Charming fantasy that appeared in the golden flicka's mind as the stallion bowed to her. What a sweet gesture, and those eyes gazed up at her in such a way. She couldn't help a shy smile from spreading across her maw. Shyness was never something that had befallen the femme, and yet here it was, flitting through her brain and leaving her, for a moment, speechless. This was all well and good, as the stallion was speaking now. Oh, how kind he was! A true gentleman! Speaking of honor, even calling her a princess? How's that for a fairy tale! "It's lovely to meet you, Sandman," the young fae had regained her voice and spoke in cheerful tones. "My name is Kanti. I'm from the herd of the Foothills - do you have a herd? How long have you been in Helovia?" A nervous slip of tongue, allowing it to run away with her so - she ducked her head, casting blue orbs down, still bashful, hoping not to run him off.

[W/C | 385]

Unregistered

Sandman

The stag was no mind reader, but the expression on the flicka’s face and the new light in her eyes allowed him to guess at her thoughts. He took a moment to mull over what he must look like to her. A noble golden knight, come to sweep her off her hooves and gallop away into the setting sun, just like all the stories his adopted dam had told him when he was young. Well, if she wished to believe he was her prince, he’d just have to play that part. To do otherwise would be cruel. Something twisted and dark that dwelled deep inside of him smirked coldly, though on the outside he maintained a mask of kindness.

Words were flowing from her now, rushing out eagerly, offering him useful information. Complex mind drew her name and herd in to be carefully filed away and kept, safely stored until he no longer had need of it. There had been countless others before her, of course, all of them remembered. Names and information popped up unbidden; Samarah, the little Arabian who smelled of the desert he still longed for. Juliet, a red maiden with the sweetest smile. Luna, Lipizzan fae dancing with such grace that it could hold others spellbound long after she ceased. And…her. A mental shield flared into being, a protective measure of his own creation, erected to block the memory of a chocolate coat and black eyes.

He mentally yanked himself away from the scent of rain and oak, leaving the haunting slyph behind in the labyrinth of his head. Orbs scanned the filly before him, with her sunlight and snow pelt, and blue eyes that focused shyly on the ground. He had yet to answer her questions, he realized, an unforgivable offence. All of his attention was supposed to be riveted on the lady, the little creature he called princess. The charming soulmate was not supposed to be distracted by thoughts of another love.

Sandman let a sheepish smile slip across his maw, eyes filling with apology. “Forgive me, my lady, my thoughts ran away with me. I belong to no herd, since I have the tendency to roam more than any leader is willing to put up with. I’ve got the heart of a gypsy I’m afraid, and travelling is much more to my liking than settling with a group in one land. As to your other question, I’ve only been in Helovia for little over a week. Perhaps you could show me around sometime? If you’re not busy, of course.”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered

She was a bit put out when he did not immediately answer, seeming to be lost in thought. Well, how disappointing would it be to find a knight in shining armor only to have him ignore one after originally stunning one with his charm? A bit off-putting, one would imagine. Ah, but then he asks for forgiveness and of course one can't help but forgive him. It's so difficult to resist pretty words and grand gestures! Particularly when that is what one has dreamed about every night while resting the petite, pretty little head on a comfortable bed of moss. And Kanti had indeed been that flicka, gazing up at the stars once the sun fell from the sky, drawing patterns and dreaming of the day that she would get swept off her hooves and swoon over her true love.

One would think that a filly with her background would see true love to be naught but folly: after all, it had killed her mother and left her stranded. And it wasn't as if she had never seen the effects of broken adoration - the misery, the depression, the lost look in the eyes of one who has lost their love. It was always very difficult to see them broken, of course, but to the youngling, it seemed as though if they were to mope about like that, it can't have been true love. Then they would have died of loss. Obviously. Sandman explained his wandering tendencies, and Kanti was deeply impressed - to be able to wander and travel was truly a blessing, after all - but wouldn't he get lonely?

She smiled happily at his invitation; it was so courteous of him to ask for her companionship. "I would be more than happy to show you around," she stated cheerfully. "I'm free right now, actually." She paused to see what his reaction would be, but almost immediately after silence fell she spoke up once more. "Don't you ever get lonely?" she asked, curious. Of course, she had gotten lonely - that was why she had joined a herd in the first place. She liked the family feel, and the knowledge that she would be able to select a mate and have little ones and live out her life in happy comfort. Or so she thought.

[W/C | 387]

Unregistered

Sandman

Disappointment flickered across the little one’s face, and Sandman mentally cursed. It had been a stupid move, letting– no don’t think her name, she is nothing, don’t think it! –letting her occupy his thoughts while luring in this bright flicka. His apology seemed to have been enough though, for the sunny femme perked up again, smiling so happily it was like the incident was already forgotten. Perhaps it was, for Kanti seemed so eager to believe that he truly was her prince that she may ignore anything that did not fit into her fantasy. And he had always been a good actor.

She was speaking now, delighted to help. She was that kind of horse it would seem, gladly going out of her way to offer assistance to all who asked. Still, wasn’t she at all nervous? After all, night had fallen and she hardly knew him. No matter, that just made his task easier. “Well then, princess, I am yours to command. Simply tell me when you wish to depart.” Her question was harder to answer, though the difficulty came from sorting through his tangled thoughts rather than not knowing what to say. “Yes, I suppose it is rather lonely. But I also come across the nicest horses.” A flirtatious wink directed the comment to her, as did a gentle nip at her mane. “I’m curious though, don’t you think it a bit late? Surely you have someone anxiously awaiting your return home.”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered

Perhaps it was that she had been orphaned for so long and had gotten used to her solitude: being able to go where she liked as she liked and having no one to answer to. Even within her herd in the Foothills, she was rarely asked to check in or out, or even to do any specific tasks. It might be her youth; surely she was too young to take on a true job. In any case, she was kept track of no more within her herd than without, and truth be told, she didn't feel as though she were a part of it, anyway. Considering Sandman's words, she wondered why she herself had elected to join a herd, anyway. She had enjoyed traveling, hadn't she? And he was right, one did meet the most interesting horses that way. And the golden flicka did so love to meet new horses.

But that would be something to think of at another time. It would be so easy to slip into a daydream and wonder what it would be like to travel Helovia's lands with a nice, strong stallion to keep her company. However, that would be rude, and Sandman was awaiting a response. "Is it late?" She glanced around, for the first time noting that the long shadows had disappeared. "Oh. I suppose it is. Well, no one really keeps track of where I go and what I do. I only just joined the herd last season, and everyone's seemed very busy. I haven't gotten to know anyone very well quite yet." Her memory slipped back to when the warriors ran off to fight another herd, a blurry memory at best, as she hadn't had the situation explained. Oh well, they had all returned home. And yet still, she was lonely.

[W/C | 300]

Unregistered

Sandman

He could almost see the gears turning in the girl’s mind as she mulled over his words. Thinking of her herd most likely, wondering if anyone was waiting for her. For he had smelled from her coat that she had not been in close contact with another for some time, had asked the question only to get her thinking of whether or not she was truly attached to any there. Travelling alone no longer held the same appeal it once had, he had grown to used to having the Friesian Guenhwyvar at his side that isolation now was an irritant. Perhaps he could convince Kanti to leave her home and stay with him, for a while at least. Then he could both gain more loyalty from the flicka, and gain a new companion. Two birds with one stone.

And as he suspected, she admitted that her comings and goings were unmonitored, that she barely knew the other members of the band. Sympathy covered his face along with concern, a cover for the darker thoughts that stirred in his skull. “They don’t care when you leave? How would any of them know if something had happened to you?” Large muzzle was gently bumped against her golden neck, a tender gesture, and his eyes held messages of even more concern than he had shown before. A look that said ‘I care.’

“Kanti,” tone was serious now, but still gentle, “would you mind staying with me? I know I’m not the same as a herd, but I’d keep you safe. And of course you could visit the Foothills whenever you wished. I just would hate if something happened to you and no one had even realized you were gone.” There, the offer was made. Not very subtle, but he wasn’t even sure if this open filly would understand a hidden hint. It was better to be blunt, he felt, to lay everything out on the table so to speak. If she declined, then he would accept that loss. If she didn’t, then he had won himself a pretty new toy that wouldn’t have to be shared as often.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered

He was right, of course. How could her herd - her family, those supposed to protect her - just allow her to wander around and not care for her whereabouts? Would they even notice if she never returned? He bumped his soft nose against her nape, and she felt a blossom of warmth grow from the spot. He spoke again, and her heart fluttered in her chest. Shyly, the young fae ducked her cranium, a smile spreading across her maw. Locks fell to shield her cool orbs from the stallion's gaze. He wanted her to accompany him across the lands! Her! Of all the femmes he had come across! So this was what it was like to be the chosen one!

Without hesitation, her mind launched itself into a daydream that only the inexperienced flickas of the world could think up. She fantasized about the world laid at her hooves by this knight, the pair of them cavorting across the realm without a care in the world. They would, naturally, be deeply in love, and eventually they would settle into a location to raise up a family. They would live happily ever after and die of old age in their sleep. It would be perfect!

She glanced up at Sandman, trying to be sure that he wouldn't change his mind and retract his offer. She briefly wondered what would happen - would they miss her? Would she miss them? Gazing into the steed's eyes, she found her worries erased. Of course, they would be just fine. Who wouldn't be, with such a nice, strong stallion to protect them? "I don't think they'd miss me," she admitted, "so I accept your offer. I'm sure I'll be much safer with someone who really cares about me!"

[W/C | 294]

Unregistered

Sandman

He had seen the signs enough that he knew how she would answer, perhaps even before she herself did. The shy dip of her head, her brilliant smile, the dreamy look in her eyes, they were all his spies. It had been almost too easy to reel in the girl, a bow and some carefully chosen words and she was his. Her assent comes as expected, pleasing the draft stud. Maybe if she continues to be obedient he will keep her. He’s always wanted a pet after all, and she is quite the specimen with her lovely painted pelt. He mentally ponders how his own coat would look with hers beside it, and likes the image. His slightly darker coloration and powerful build will be contrasted nicely next to her bright, slender bodice. Yes, he would very much enjoy having the flicka with him for a while longer.

“I swear I’ll do my best to protect you, dear Kanti.” A true enough statement, he had the bad habit of fiercely hoarding whatever he considered to be his, jealously guarding it against anyone or thing that may threaten to take it away. She now qualified as such to his mind, and so he would indeed take care of her in his own manner. Keep her sheltered and innocent until he warped her into his own creation. In the meantime, he would indulge her, going wherever she should wish, doing as she wanted. The perfect gentleman. It would be simple enough, and amusing besides.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered

Her daydreams had blinded her, which she realized as soon as she looked at the stallion, taking in for the first time his form. Sure, she had looked at him, but she hadn't looked at him. What she saw now pleased her. He was strong and sturdy, his muscled body covered in a sorrel pelt. Their banners were of matching colors, and in fact their respective colorations were quite the compliment to one another. They were sure to look good standing beside one another. It was practically meant to be. She was sure now that she had made the right decision.

She would do anything to please Sandman. This was in her nature, of course, to do anything she could for anyone who asked anything of her. But now, with this addition into her life, she knew that she would put him first. Anything he asked of her would happen just as quickly as she could manage. This was, in part, due to the immense level of trust that she placed in the stallion. He would not do her harm, he would not cast her off. She simply understood that they would remain a pair, and he would care for her, and she would do what she could to be useful. He wouldn't use her. Such a gentleman would never use her.

"I swear I'll do my best to protect you, dear Kanti." There was a certain look in his orbs that made her believe him. In her mind, the promise was sealed. It would not be broken. He would care for her, one way or another, and she would be safe so long as she was with him. She smiled, the light that was her young, carefree soul shining in her blue orbs. "Where would you like to go? I haven't been many places in Helovia yet." She paused, considering. "I am quite partial to the sea. Do you know of any beaches around?" It was a simple enough request, and not in the least bit a trick question. If he wanted to take her to the top of a mountain, she would follow just the same.

[W/C | 358]

Unregistered

Sandman

A beach? Yes, he knows of such a place, having returned from the oceanside only recently. The location both soothed and hurt him, the sand a familiar comfort and the crashing water singing melodies of memories best left forgotten. He wonders if it is a wise decision to travel there with Kanti, revisit the land he had bolted away from but a day or so ago. Yet, he has already resolved to obey her whims, and he supposes it will be safe enough with such distracting company. Her cheerful chattering will leave him no room for thoughts of the past, he hopes.

He keeps the mask in place, showing nothing of his inner turmoil. Painted smile that appears real is given to the lovely girl. Pretending is his forte, has been for years, and he reminds himself of this fact. Playing the part that has been given to him, the noble prince meeting his true love. He must allow the role to consume him, to become the lord she believes him to be. Nevermind that every word and action is a lie. It is a reality for her, should be anyway, and he mustn’t ruin the illusion.

And so his tone remains light and friendly and eager to please. “As it so happens, I do know of a beach, and it’s actually rather close by. Shall I show you?” Trepidation well hidden behind a façade of love and charm. What will happen if his control breaks once they arrive at the shore is unknown, and he will simply have to find out by allowing their scene to continue. End Act 1, he thinks. Now on to Act 2. But will our play be an epic love tale, or a tragedy?

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered

Was it possible that she simply followed because it was the easy thing to do? That the threat of being alone cause more fear than the threat of being used? It was so easy to simply succumb to another's wishes, to long to please them simply because it was as things should be. Perhaps this was why she acted as she did, such a simple little thing, no real opinions of her own, only the longing to be loved. Truth be told, she was more in love with the idea of being in love than she may ever be with the one loving her; but then, perhaps this was as it should be.

These were not conscious thoughts; these are simply observations. But the gixie did recognize in herself a bit of submission. Should he prove to be the stallion that he acted as now (and she had no doubt that he was not who he said he was), then he would protect her, provide for her, and cherish her; and she would willingly give in return whatever it was that he wished her to do. She knew this. What she did not consider was how she would, then, become entrapped in his will, destined forever to do his bidding. She did not see how this could enslave her, hold her, keep her from fulfilling her own destiny or wishes. No, this, she was too blind to see.

And so she was eager to accompany the steed to the beach of which he spoke. She was pleased to see that he was so quick to fulfill her wishes. Though it hadn't mattered to her, truly, where they went next - although she was truly partial to the sea - it was heartwarming to see that he would humor her. "Shall I show you?" Such a simple question, but such a potent one. So many meanings could be inferred. It's a good thing that the young fae was so naive, or perhaps she would have acted on these meanings. As it were, the simple response was shy: "If it's not too much trouble, I'd like that very much."

[W/C | 357]