the Rift

Change is the Law of Life

Alune Posts: 65
World's Edge Seer atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Nova
Alune the Seer

Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

The gentle smile on his pale lips, born out of pride for Erthë, this pale, spectral filly who wanted to follow in the moons misted footsteps — is quickly silenced by the appearance of the bearded stallion that comes into view, in it's stead is a mild look of uncertainty blooms. His quad crowned head lifted from it's neutral position in order to better look at the rabicano stud, and his prehensile tail moved in once gracious movement to rest around his hocks.

There had been relative peace in the herds meeting, congratulations and gracious acceptance of roles being given and changed.  Was this the beginning of a conflict? It seemed so, with the bearded ones words filling his ears, invisible brows rose. A dethroned King stood before them, unflinching in the shadow of the new one. Issuing a challenge to Tembovu to decree vocally he was stripped, and elect another in his place.

It seemed that his Dark Lady had a wonderful sense of timing, for she breathed herself into being before the Elephant King to reply.

She is every ounce as beautiful as the gleaming orb that hangs against the night tapestry. Made from the very shadows many sought sanctuary in, ever step her delicately woven body takes speaks volumes of the power she wields. She needs not the mighty height and girth of warriors and stallions, she could present herself as a filly to the fold, and all would know her might instinctively. He bowed once he realized he hadn't done so immediately, front right leg extended out in front of him — long silver strands and elegant braids pool around the misted grasses while the diamonds entwined sparkle like starlight proudly in her presence.

Moon filled eyes remain on her lavender figure as she addresses the once-king and would be king. She puts them in place and makes her will heard. Tembovu is King, and Elsa is Queen and he spares the new monarch a congratulatory glance when the blackened mists bless her, she would make a fine Queen in the Lady Moon's realm. Hardened, strong willed and filled with the Moon's admiration.

Then the blackened mist is upon him, as well as her silver gaze. Humbled and reverent under it, honor fills his heart as she proclaims him Seer in her misted realm. The silent halls of his heart and body are filled, her mists pour into the alabaster temple, illuminating it once more as the silence is broken by her voice. It is music that echos and whispers through the columns, like chimes singing for the wind. It had been empty and cold since the white lady's voice had gone cold and silent, and now he had been found worthy to again be a host for her divine will. He has a purpose again, and he is found worthy to continue to hold her mantle high upon his brow.

"You honor me with the duty, my lady. I will bring your will and voice to those that have need of it." Voice reverant and filled with admiration, he rose in time to catch Tembovu's nod and he returns it. His gaze then shifted to the once-king, would he accept the words of the Goddess? Would he accept the position now being offered to him by Tembovu?

Alune's thoughts are swept away by the sight of Erthë when he moved his gaze to her. Caught up in the majesty of the moonlight made flesh before them, a mirth filled smile brightens his features. She is as awestruck as he had been when he first gazed upon her magnificence, all those years ago. It never got old, each time she appeared, whether her incarnation was the light or the darkness that she governed — the awe crashed like waves on the mind and spirit once more. The flower is offered and he smiled, his own prehensile tail flickered idly in the sea breeze.

The seer is proud to have her as his apprentice, tenfold has the feeling rose as he watched her in the Moon's presence. She would make a fine philosopher, an even better sage in her maturity and when he is recalled to the night realm of his Goddess  —  he is confident in his foresight that she would be the perfect Seer to walk in his footsteps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes;;

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
[Image: QsJIY4g.png]
"I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky,
 And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon."

force & violence permitted on Alune at all times
with the exception of maiming and death

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare

Elsa
My head's underwater, but i'm breathing fine.
There is a rain on every parade, isn’t there? Her eyes shot toward Torleik as he walked up, demanding that he had not stepped down. How in the actual fuck can he say that? She’d met him once. Once! And she was the general. How is a herd supposed to be ruled if the leaders can’t find the decency to attend to herd matters? Her blood was broiling and she bit back the slew of profanities and anger that had bubbled to the surface. It was such a… childish move of him. It was like a prince demanding he be king, and that was not how this land worked. She could feel her muscles coiled, waiting to just jump should he decide to try and grab it by force. She had no desire to fight today, but she was not going to let the Edge be handed over to one who was incapable of ruling.

Of course though, the gods had impeccable timing as always. The Goddess seemed to just appear out of thin air. She melded into the group seamlessly her words bleeding of sarcasm and power. She was much different than the Earth God, but in a refreshing way. She held a more… mundane aspect. She felt real, powerful, almost like she was the queen of the Edge. In a way, she sounded like a beloved tyrant. Elsa tilted her head as she proceeded to chastise Torleik for his absence, and ream Tembovu for his lack of thinking. Elsa smirked, only to suddenly hear her name, and black smoke froth and rise around. Oh fuckity fuck fuck what did I do now?!’ She was nearly certain that she was about to be obliterated. The Gods know that she probably did something terrible irreverent and they were here to collect.

rule alongside Tembovu… That was the next set of words she heard. Unease prickled her skin as she glanced around, but she knew far too much to have mistaken her. Elsa simply nodded, remaining in the back with Hera as promotions began to be handed out. The Goddess named Alune his seer- fitting and then Tembovu began to fill spaces. Nyx obviously being the one to fill her spot. She sent a small nod toward Nyx before returning her attention to Tembovu and the Goddess. Well, what the fuck was she supposed to do now. "I will do as you wish." She said quietly. Granted the spotlight was not her position, but she was sure as hell that now that she had control, the Edge would thrive. They would not fall under the light of the moon.

"talk"

code © tamme, picture © chan
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
a falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes
I screamed aloud, as it tore through them, and now it's left me blind
Things would never sleep in peace, would they? They would never fade into memory—into dust—and rest in the darkness and shadow of some empty tomb, somewhere, a mausoleum erected for all things lost and forgotten, be they stories, items, or people. Some things simply defied peace, and refused to pass on—much like Mauja, a ghost in this world, a lingering wraith too restless to go to peace. As he stood there, in a gathering where he belonged but still had no place, he wondered what it would be like to uproot himself again—move away from everything he had come to know and love, go somewhere else, start fresh, be someone else .. be who he wanted to be, and not what the world had made him.

But that could never happen—it would be a flight from all he had come to cherish, from all the chances he had been given, from all of those who still deserved his love even when he did not know how to give it. And besides, if he left, how would d'Artagnan and Kahlua ever find him again, if they ever came back to look for him? If he left, it would be to find them, but the world was so fucking vast and he might walk into a time vortex and burn all his chances of ever ending his days side-by-side with that grumpy old codger—

Why the fuck did he still hope? Why couldn't he just let go, let d'Artagnan go to the tides of the world, into that mausoleum of things lost and forgotten? Sign him away to oblivion, live happy, live.. live without him.

It was cold, in the spaces around his heart—a dread emptiness in his veins.

When he had stalled at the body of Aviya, when he had catapulted onto the soft green floor and wept the tears of bitter loss, he had lost d'Artagnan forever. He had lost that one future that had always lurked in the back of his mind—the one in which they mocked each other for the gray hairs riddling their faces, mocked each other for their failing eyesight and waddling gait as arthritis slowly claimed them .. the future of cold nights spent in silence side-by-side, sharing what sparse warmth their aging bodies could still produce.

He had lost the chance to grow old with someone he loved dearly.

And so it was that he wept, softly and quietly, into Naerys' forelock as Torleik, another thing refusing to stay put in his grave, walked through the meeting. The black rabicano moved like a King, and Mauja supposed that he was—the Bloodskald, who blared it out with pride that he was a monarch here, while Mauja had smiled demurely and then never mentioned it again. That interaction, so long ago at a different meeting, had always made Mauja think of sheep, or goats. Torleik sort of looked like a giant goat, and Mauja's scorn for those who trumpeted out their position in such a way had forever reduced his memory of it to that of bleating.

Torleik, the goat, challenging Tembovu to demote him. Mauja almost felt sorry for him. It couldn't be easy, getting something like this, a herd to cherish and protect (for Torleik had always been devoted, goat or no), and then simply .. vanishing like smoke, coming back to find that so much had changed in so little time. Mauja knew what it was like to disappear. He also knew what it was like to come back—like returning from the dead.

Maybe all those times he had left, he had died.

But Tembovu got no chance to handle the cold anger of Torleik before the Moon herself whispered into being—unaccompanied by her usual grandeur of shadows and swirling mist, rather simply phasing into their plane, as if she had been there all along but they had all just been too dumb to notice. And with the same careless disregard for mortals as she always displayed she stripped Torleik of his kingdom. Mauja watched with half a tear-stained eye, face still buried against the nape of Naerys, mind drowning in the scent of passionflowers and trying to crawl up from the darkness a future lost left in you. The Goddess chided Tembovu, then faced Elsa, bearing down her dark mists upon the poor General.

At that point, Mauja closed his eyes. She had once used those swirling mists on him, conjured up every bad memory, every bad dream, every crushed hope and lost chance, every loss and every love; she had smothered him with his own grief, haunted him with his broken life, and threatened his future all at the same time. He had been stronger then—weak, yes, but stronger than he was now. He had withstood it, he had borne it, he had been cold and enduring even though his heart beneath the ice had chased itself with terror. She could've snuffed him out so easily, just like a breath going out and never going back in again. But she hadn't.

Nor had she answered him. Divine business, he supposed, or the whole thing had just been a nightmare.

He felt small, even though he towered above his young friend; and he tried to be small, in every way that he could. The last thing he wanted was her cold and cruel attention, her sharp, silver eyes to find him, and turn her darkness upon him.

But she seemed content to ignore him. He had, after all, stepped down. Released himself from her gifts. Maybe, in her eyes, shunned her? He did not know. He did not want to know.

He just wanted to remain in the warm darkness with Naerys, and be just Mauja: no one, nothing. Insignificant. Unworthy of a deity's wrath.
The stars, the moon, they have all been blown out,
you left me in the dark, in the shadow of your heart
image credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
As the Moon Goddess appears, she seems to command the attention and respect of all those around - taking the focus away from Black Hottie, who turned up to question the loss of his throne. You should have been around more, then, she thinks. They need a leader who is around regularly, not just a figurehead, a name. And when the Moon Goddess announces that she's to decide who rules beside Tembovu, Nyx can't help but stand tall, ears rammed forward, heart pulsing.

Because...why not her? She has never aspired to lead, and doesn't know what kind of queen she'd make. A warrior is what she is, what she has always been. Yet she's been an active member of the herd, interacting regularly, getting shit done. She'd be lying if she denied thinking for one, shining moment that she might be chosen.

Then she isn't. Ah. Awkward.

Well, it had been a stupid thought. The silver's narrowed gaze travels to this Elsa, who she has never seen until recently save for a few chance meetings many, many months ago.

Great, replacing one leader that was never around with another that hasn't been around until recently. That won't backfire, of course. Moony Logic.

None of this shows on the ironheart's face, despite the storm that blazes without her permission inside her body, behind her eyes. The blow is lessened somewhat when she is given Elsa's vacant position of General (not that she'd known the pale mare occupied this position in the first place, having never seen her around before) and, she reassures herself, this is a position far more suited to her. "I accept, of course. Thank you." She manages her usual wolfish grin, trying to stifle the disappointment that still, stupidly, bubbles beneath the surface. How can you be disappointed when you miss out on getting something that you never realised you wanted, and still aren't sure you actually do? It isn't logical, and yet...when has the ironheart ever been logical?

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

Somehow it did not surprise him that the Moon Goddess saw fit to show her duplicitous face just then and, without even the barest hint of a single fuck given, publicly humiliate him without even allowing the smallest chance for him to at least retain a semblance of his honor. And really, that was what chafed so unpalatably against his soul. Not the shame he felt twitching beneath his skin at the nature of his dethroning. Not the anger that he felt towards this cunt for her sociopathic self-serving nature. It was that in the end of this moment, of his short reign he had not been so ready to simply give up, since he cared for this place and these people, since he wanted better for them than to be a second-rate, half-forgotten herd, that he was not even allowed the attempt to retain his honor, something that even the lowest men in his culture had always been given up until their last moments. 

It took a moment for the realization to crystallize in his frozen mind, to fully come to fruition, but when he understood what his heart and mind were screaming, it brought a certain sense of peace. The Bloodskald felt detached from this time, from what was happening around him, and his gaze flicked curiously from face to face. On Elsa's he saw anger and disgust begging violence. He made a mental note of this, promising to himself in a vindictive clot of arctic rage that he would bury the bitch's face into the ground one day for that. On Tembovu's face...in that face he saw a fucking coward. Well-meaning, perhaps honorable in his own way, but a fucking coward nonetheless. On Mauja's...pain, and mayhap pity. In that instance, Torleik thought he had more in common with that broken man than anyone else here. It was as strange feeling, one he had least expected. 

And it bled into his understanding that he could no longer be a slave to any god of this land. They were not without their weaknesses, they were fallible, stupid, petty creatures just like mortals - the only difference was that they had powers and longevity the mortals did not. To his credit, Tembovu tried to collect his balls that had been so clearly taken from him by offering the Bloodskald a position as Captain in the herd, but he handed them right back over to the Moon Goddess by asking her permission. Torleik snorted. "You. You will one day displease her as well, and she will toss you aside like a piece of shit she stepped in. She can't help it. It's the only nature she knows," he said to the idiot now ruling this herd. "I fight against every invading god, spill my blood for you, contract diseases and suffer for you, and I take time to recover, to gather myself, and this is how you pit of vipers return my attempts at service to you. Not even a damn committee to breathe a word, just done with me and that's that. There is no honor in this, in you," he grunted. "and I want no part of an honorless brood. I will remember your attempt at kindness, Tembovu, and I wish you longevity in your reign, but there is no place for me here. I will not be a slave to a deity who retains her subjects based only on their current usefulness any longer, nor a part of a herd so easily willing to step on any of its members."

And perhaps that was the problem. Perhaps he wasn't meant to be a part of a herd. Or, perhaps he simply wasn't fit to rule because he hadn't in him to stoop to the depths power demanded. "Don't waste your breath on scathing, self-righteous retorts. You're so eager to forget me, so let me pass as if forgotten." He doubted it would shut all of them up to allow him to just go and be in peace. Let them spit insults at him as he left, let them be insulted, angry, let them rage impotently if they chose; or let them be smug in their belief they had thrown out the trash they way it should be. He didn't care anymore. Honor meant nothing to anyone now. There was no place for him in a world like this. 

Strong steps carried him out of that so called meeting, away from the disillusionment that he could make a difference. No one wanted to change. Everyone just wanted as much as they could grab in this life before it was gone. Torleik knew he didn't have to speak to Ophelia for her to follow him; she would be there. If not now, eventually. It was her choice to go with him or stay, and he felt some guilt at walking out of a place she had followed him to, making her considering having to pick up and move again. 

But had she not said she didn't care where they were? Now it seemed he did not either. If she was with him, what else mattered? They could look out for each other. No one else would.

"talk talk talk"

"This winter breath, taste of death
Where iron meets flesh. we'll take it all"

Coding by Tamme with credits to Sevin | Art by Yewrezz
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin
God of the Moon
lady diamond in the sky
They might not appricate the brevity with which she greets them, but it does not bother her. She is not here to win their hearts. She will not be, for them, a saviour. Not a blessed virgin spirit to pray to. But she will be, as ever she has been, an immovable force. And should they choose to think that that is for them to merely accept, they will quickly learn just how wrong they are. She is a fixture here - and they, fleeting. As evidenced by the silent Mauja, the stony Torleik. Only her guiding light remains permeating through the fog of the Edge. 

I would speak with you. After all ... this She whispered with icicle sweetness into Mauja's mind, although her gaze remained fixedly on those newly appointed to her service.

"Well isn't this lovely-" The Goddess cooed, as a mist of black butterflies gently caused the small flower Erthe had offered her, to raise into the air. "-thank you sweet one."

The Goddess half expected some sort of cynicism from Elsa, but found none in her response. With a gracious nod, the sleek Goddess smiled towards both Elsa and Alune. She was sure they would both do well.

However as Torleik continued to speak, the Goddess rounded on him with a sudden and ferocious coldness. Shadows seem to swell on her form as her eyes narrowed in white-hot imprints of light. The entire glade seemed to fall into a sudden darkness.

"Everyone had wounds to recover from. Her voice was a whisper, but as forceful as thunder. "Everyone fought, even this child who now walks with broken legs. But you needed your time, and so they let you have it. But not as a King. A King does not place his needs above those of his herd, and that is precisely what you did. You cannot shift the blame that is so clearly upon your shoulders."

Icicles hung from her every word - the crystallize lies that he had once offered at her hooves, of selfless and lifelong devotion. These daggers she now implicitly thrust back at him. He had caused his own political fall, and instead of remaining loyal and yielding to his own shortcomings, he cast himself off the mountain. 

I've worshiped you all my life, he had once said to her. Ha. Let him go back to worshiping ghosts then. 

"You leave here without my protection Torleik. And you leave it forever." She snarled at his retreating form. 

The Goddess spun deftly on her legs, turning her back to where the bearded stallion had departed. As she did so, the darkness that had fallen around them paled, and light returned softly to the meeting. As it did so, the Goddess features returned to a painting of unmistakable beauty and wisdom. 

As Torleik has broken his pact with the Goddess, she has taken his armor back. 

Image Credit

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
ULRIK the ENGINEER

Unfashionably late as per the usual, the marked engineer moved into the fray, lingering on the edges near his cousin and the white mare, Arah- whom he found to be particularly attractive (for a mare). Kirchoff stood loyally at his side with silver eyes narrowed, catching onto the conversation through Ulrik's mind and applying subtle judgment to the mass agreement on issues which should be debated. The more he learned about these hoofed species, the more he saw them as sheep. When one spoke up, a leader, the rest just followed blindly, and when the gods spoke, they turned their bellies up to the sky without question.

This was not how a pack should work. Where was the dialogue? The accountability? How then could a good, sound mind rise up without playing bitch to a deity? Kirchoff growled slightly. "Do you not see the trouble with this, Ulrik?" he questioned in his bonded's head. "Your family is facing ruin with a single breath."

Ulrik frowned deeply in response, watching from the quiet, back perch of his shadows to witness the falling of a star in the moon's sky. This was a supernova, though it was only made of words and broken souls, it was a tragedy. If anyone could step outside of their own desires and selfish ways, they would see that at the root, the moon goddess had lost a loyal follower, a devout leader, a simple man. A man who needed time to breath so that he could return renewed. Though Ulrik didn't doubt that a present leader was necessary, how was he to know the herd had been in turmoil? With Mauja stepping down and this smooth talking one taking his place.

Though it was not at all his place to speak, he listened to the words of his cousin, and in them, he found truth. Ulrik did not want to leave this place. He had no personal qualms with the Goddess, but her vehemence spoke more about herself than Torleik. For all her outward beauty, she was ugly on the inside, unwilling to hear even if she did listen. She was right in her interpretation if that was truly what he did, but there was not a single being here who did not wander from time to time.

The mad engineer finally took a stand, after all these years and for an unlikely reason: family. He stood bravely before the moon goddess, unafraid of her wrath but knowing that there should exist at least one person who gave Torleik the credit he was due in light of his absence. He was doing the right thing. "He followed you since we were but children," he spoke quietly, the guttural tones of his voice masculine and brutal even if his expression showed sadness. It was an unintentional trait of his anatomy.

"I have lived here for a long time, not making waves and existing in the confines of my own designs. But I have seen the truth Torleik speaks. I have seen so many fall out of favor, and for what? Who would dare to speak against a god unless they knew, somewhere deep in their soul, that they felt strongly? These castaways are the honorable among us, those who, right or wrong, have stood firm in the face of impossible odds." Ulrik frowned, not used to speak so much or having to focus on the cadence and clarity of his own words.

"There is honor in debate and truth hidden in discussion, but blind acceptance will lead you off a cliff to your own demise. I am not honorable, nor am I brave. But, Torleik is, and he tried. That should be... that should be good." Ulrik turned to the moon goddess again, sadness in his expression, though he was uncertain that that was the emotion he was experiencing now.

"He was your loyal follower, and you threaten him when what makes him a good man forces him away. Today, your evening sky has lost a bright star, falling into bitterness and defeat. This should be mourned."

Saying nothing else, he backed away and moved through the trees, knowing that he would prefer to stay here but unsure of his own welcome after speaking. He was a simple and complex creature at once, and he wondered and how long it had taken him to stand up for what he believed in - to say something. What he felt wasn't pride though. He only felt sadness.

Credits: Image by LyrebirdBlue @ DA

(Please tag me in every post)

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
Eventide is softly casting o'er the earth a magic spell,
And a love-song, everlasting, on the night wind seems to swell.

Under the Moon's gaze, wrapped and cradled within her sweet words of appreciation, the child trembled. She was too much to take in, too much to process, break down, analyze and even begin to understand. Likewise were the feelings she awoke within Erthë too jumbled, mixed up and vast to comprehend. Later she might recognize elation, joy and fierce affection within the mess, but right then and there it was mostly a sensation that she was about to burst open like fireworks - explosive snowdrops - from the intensity of it all.

But alas, every silver lining has a dark cloud.

Even as she stood there reeling from the gracious acceptance of her humble gift, harsh words shattered the fragile silence like a rock thrown into thin ice. The ripples that followed were black, sticky and spread like plague or the Labyrinth Lung, just without the added bonus of new perspectives. This Torleik, this now former king did not seem happy and his words sounded as though drenched in acid, bitter and scalding as he threw them around. The filly gaped at him as he called the Lady Moon all sorts of horrible things (words she quickly picked up, to repeat at a later time when the situation called for it), eyes growing wider and wider as the Goddess retorted with acerbic bite to every syllable.

Perhaps there was some flaw within the design of the pale dove, the frost-capped snowdrop, that attracted her so to darkness and violence. Despite her frail, innocent appearance she felt no fear over things most children would scream and cry over seeing. Death and violence, anger and hard words had made her uneasy, queasy, confused, angry and sad - but rarely frightened. Dying was a part of life, anger stemmed as often from love and care as from fright and hatred, violence, the shedding of blood was just a surrender of the mind to flesh - the breakdown of negotiations when words could no longer suffice to convey ones point of view.

At least, this was what Erthë believed. She was still young, still naive to much of the world. She had seen battle, violence and death yes - but those had been quick deaths, violence with purpose and battle that claimed few lives. As much as death could ever be glorious or purposeful, those had been so - there were, after all, worse ways to perish than quickly, at the point of a sword.

Still. Violence should be a last resort. Words were preferable to the feathered fawn, and though many words were used here it didn't seem to her that anyone managed to get their points across. Torleik seemed too angry, her Lady wrapped up in her rage like one snuggles their favorite blanket (oh, she seemed to enjoy this - the row, the rising tempers, the outbursts of raw, untempered emotion) and though her name got dragged into it the filly didn't pull back. Flinch - oh yes - but flee, when the Moon had just smiled at her? No way.

"Why are you leaving?" she asked the back of Torleik, her voice a misty whisper of wind against the backdrop of other's rumbling thunder. "Is it so bad to not be king, that you can't stay in the herd if you don't get to have the crown?"

She was not accusing, nor was she pleading. Instead the girl gazed at the black stallion with her head tilted, quizzical as though he was a riddle she wanted to solve - a puzzle she had not yet found a solution to.

"Maybe if you wait and get to know everyone better, we can help you do all that - recover and mend. And you can teach us to be honorable, the way you do it. There is plenty of space here, you will fit too - if you really want to?"

There was a mild query nestled within her last few syllables, as quiet and unassuming as her attempt to smile. Maybe he would choose not to hear her, maybe he had gone too far already to turn back. So many words have been spoken already - it would be like saying you didn't want the last strawberry only to change your mind when someone had already picked it up. Hard to admit - even harder to bend the stiff neck and apologize.

Though she spoke her piece the girl did not go deaf to the opinions of the others, those who chose to raise their voices to join in with the chorus. Pale eyes traveled between each and every one of them, from the gruff looking beard man to Tembovu for a reaction, to Alune and her father and finally back to the Goddess, thirsty for her approval and afraid that her stance had been too mellow, too soft for the fierce, feisty Immortal. Even so she listened and observed, absorbing every point and view and opinion, each different way to think - and though she secretly found the reason for the argument a bit silly, Erthë actually enjoyed the spectacle too. At least something was properly happening!

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
OOC: Getting it done with since Torleik wouldn't stick around for much else. 

The great orchid mantis lashed out with her vicious claws, seeking to tear him apart with slander she assumed would harm him, he supposed - but it did not. What she spat was untrue so why should it gouge beneath his skin? Her threat of leaving him unprotected forever elicited a grim smile. "I know what I'm doing," he returned. She hadn't protected him up until now - what was the difference? Somehow he knew the gift of armor she'd given would be snatched back; that was fine. He could get armor again. The Bloodskald regretted his choice to go to a predator in his weaker moments and expect anything other than being devoured in the end. Foolish of him, a mistake he would try not to make in the future. And so he had intent to leave, but he was stopped by an unexpected visitor. 

Torleik heard Ulrik before he saw him, and he turned in surprise, wondering at his cousin's vocal presence. Why? Rarely did the Engineer speak, even to him - what prompted this now? The words flowed on, continuing like an unbroken current and the Bloodskald felt...peace, inside, knowing that at least his family understood. In the end, family was all that mattered and as long as he had them he could not count his soul at a loss at the end of his life. 

"You do me an honor, cousin. I owe you," he murmured, unsure if his brutish brother could even hear as he went as quickly as he'd come. Torleik hadn't intended to defend himself from the lavender viper's words, finding no reason or purpose in that. She spat what she wanted and those who would believe it would do so, whether he justified himself or not, as the goddess had chosen to call his earlier speaking. 

Justifying what? He hadn't done wrong so what was to justify? His intentions had been good, even if his choice wasn't the right one for the moment. He had tried. He had meant well. It counted for little, so it seemed. As he walked away, tired, but holding himself strong not out of pride, but resolve not to let others crumble his foundations so easily, a small, young, curious voice caught his attention. Black, velvety ears flicked to the side, his gait pausing, and he regarded the child (was she? she was young enough to seem one, to him) who so clearly questioned what she saw. 

Children were the future. Children were honest. Just as it burned in his chest now to know that someone, somewhere had let a child fight in those conflicts, let her be injured, so he firmly believed in not coddling children and making them weaker for it. It was a miscarriage of protection to let a child fight, but it was almost equally so to hide a child from the honest harsh nature of life. "No, child, it is not about the crown - not at all," he rumbled to her. "I envy not the new leaders of this land, for theirs will be a burden and scrutiny unlike any other. It is as Ulrik said: there is truth in discussion, in debate. Would that the herd had brought me forth to publicly vote on their faith in my competency, I would have abided by the wishes of the majority. But this?" He cast a glance around. "This was practically a coup, backed by a self-serving deity who no one else seems to dare to question - and perhaps her response to me is exactly why. If no one wanted me king, yes it would sting my pride but I could serve elsewhere, perhaps Captain as Tembovu did offer me. And that was just and honorable of him to make the gesture. He has promise, as a good leader one day. I hope he becomes one."

The rabicano sighed. How did the words always pour out now? He never intended to speak at length but it was a skill he seemed to have become more and more adept at the longer he remained in Helovia. "There is space here, yes, but not a space I can fill. Not among a group that saw no one offer even a word of questioning as to whether any other solution could be found. Where no one but my family could breathe anything remotely resembling defense of me, to ask what I intended, what I was trying to do. Should a herd, which is a family in its own sense, not seek to ferret out all truth, protect all members, lead back all strays? Perhaps I expect too much, perhaps I am too naive, but I know that as I am now, I could not do ask you so wisely ask, and teach others to be honorable. Maybe I am not honorable at all, but delusional. But I must leave because I cannot bend my soul to a god like her anymore, and as you saw, she will not have that. You either serve fully, or you are dead to her - and I am but a shambling corpse on my way out."

Torleik offered her an almost sad smile. "Never stop questioning until you are satisfied with the answer on your own, not because someone else tells you to be. You have a sharp mind. Hone it. It will guide you well if you guard and cherish it." Whatever else might have been said to him, about him, the sounds fell on unhearing ears. His exit was unwavering then, with purpose, his intent with leaving already leading him to a clear path in his mind. 

A shame it could not be with a herd.

"talk talk talk"

"This winter breath, taste of death
Where iron meets flesh. we'll take it all"

Coding by Tamme with credits to Sevin | Art by Yewrezz
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
He watches, in silence, as Erthe, overwhelmed at the sight of a diety, picks and offers flowers to the lavender goddess. He does not smile, though many do, to see such a sight. Instead, he carefully watches for the Moon’s reaction, for now is a time to learn of their patron. He was given few chances to do so, and he felt (no, he knew) that fewer things would benefit the herd more than him understanding at least the whims of the Lady Night.

His ears swivel towards Elsa as she agrees to rule beside him. And then to Nyx as she, too, agrees and thanks him for the promotion. Though his eyes, still trained on the goddess, are not on her and thus he misses her ill-disguised disappointment.

Then his attention finally shifts as Torliek addresses him. The dethroned does not mask his disgust with him, with the goddess, or with the herd. It is on proud display, for any and all to see and hear. Slowly, his ears swivel forward as the bearded man speaks, saying words that he already knew to be true. Anyone will be taken from power if they were not useful. They should be. They would be ‘tossed aside’ only if they were childish or disgraceful. But now is not the time for the Elephant’s soliloquies, it would not reinstate the man’s honor. Nor would his words change minds— emotions deafen the ears in times such as these.

So he is silent, brows raising as the Moon viciously rounds on the man and takes his armor. The Elephant will remember that thunderous anger, well. Though she says words that were true: Erthe did have broken legs. Mauja had lost a daughter and and a love. And even he, himself, had nearly burned alive beneath a melting god. So, to the Elephant, Torliek’s excuses for his absence were just that: excuses.

His eyes grow cold, hard. An honorable man would not declare excuses. An honorable man would recognize his mistakes, and own to them. But he grits his jaw against saying such things, for making enemies now is not a luxury the new King can afford. So, when the Engineer, the man who built Sno’s raft, speaks on behalf of the Bloodskald, the entreaty falls on deaf ears. Words are worth little, it is actions that speak loudest. And Torliek’s bitter, hurt actions scream of adolescence.

As the man once again mounted his soapbox, after Erthe’s entreaty for him to stay, the Elephant King’s eyes swept the crowd. He nods minutely at the high compliment of having ‘promise’ of being a ‘good leader one day.’ “I hope only to be half the leader you were,” his voice, perhaps falling on deaf ears, was carefully schooled to impassivity. Though the hardness of his eyes belied his tone.

But he realizes, as he continues to watch the herd during Torliek’s verbose monologue, that it was not the Goddess that stripped him of his power. It was not even himself. It was the loss of respect of those he lead. This realization hit the Elephant hard. He had begun this meeting uncertain if he should take the power; but, as he looked at the two dethroned kings— one broken, one bowed— he was suddenly uncertain as to where the power would take him.

With such ominous thoughts, he gives a sideways glance to the Moon Goddess, silently asking if she had anything more to add, before finally calling this meeting to a close, “Thank you for attending. I am sorry that some did not attend, and am sorry to see some leave,” navy eyes flicker to the retreating form of Torliek, “But there is both promise and hope for a future in this herd. Meeting adjourned.” Perhaps anticlimactic, but enough had occurred, it was time for the meeting to end. And time for a King to be alone with his thoughts.

ooc| Meeting over! Thanks everyone! You may reply to this, if you'd like :)

Note: Torliek was dethroned by the herd, not by the goddess. There was some confusion (myself included) and I needed to clarify that!

Please tag Tembovu.

Rohan Posts: 132
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.0 :: 8 years HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Éomer :: White-tailed Eagle :: Scream Reli
lend me your hand and we’ll conquer them all,
but lend me your heart—
He stands at his place towards the back of the group, sure that there couldn’t be much more excitement packed into one of these things—a King had stepped down, after all. However, his assumptions are soon buffeted by the arrival of a familiar black stallion. Rohan’s ears flick back before pressing forward again, one side of his brow rising when Torleik speaks, the Friesian’s voice cold and pointed. Brown lips twist into a hard line, green eyes narrowing beneath the shadow of his brow, his gaze flickering briefly to Tembovu before settling again on the black.

Not that Rohan has any true frosty feelings towards the older stallion, but their few encounters have not been exactly pleasant, and the Warlander fears that Torleik might be more like the ruthless king he had escaped from. Presumptuous deductions of course, but the antlered male is far too proud and wary of his past to see it as such. If anything, the black has yet to be around to prove himself differently—or be around at all, for that matter. Rohan flicks his thick tail about his hocks, wondering how their former lead will be received.

But it isn’t the herd he need watch.

Lilting words sink into the cool air, quickly followed by their owner. The Moon Goddess—he remembers her from one of the battles, but has not seen her since. Once again, he is struck by the beauty and unadulterated femininity that swathes every curve of her slender figure, ensnaring his fickle male mind too easily. Green eyes linger appreciatively over her, foolishly unabashed, and Rohan nearly misses the following events.

Elsa is named Queen, a mare he has yet to meet (but has every intention of doing so) before other ranks are chosen. Dark-rimmed ears shoot sharply forward when he hears his own name, bright eyes pinning onto Tembovu. Unlike most, Rohan has had no intention of moving up in the ranks—he will rarely shirk duties, but he does not seek power, or even want to be responsible for anyone other than himself. He usually laughs it off to himself, saying it is too great a burden and not of his concern, but these are only masks for the truth. In actuality, he fears who he will become if given such rights (his father?), or that he will disappoint them more than he already has—truly, he fears power. Fears what it might do to him.

But it is a fear he keeps tightly tucked away, smothered and hidden.

Thus far, Tembovu is a King he could most respect, and most decently follow—perhaps, if the mammoth elephant believes in him, he should do so himself. And besides, it would be embarrassing to turn down an offer in front of everyone, and he can’t have that. That fact, perhaps more than anything, finalizes his decision. Squaring his shoulders, the Warlander gives the large stallion a curt nod. “Of course,” he rumbles lowly, and the meeting continues without pause, without knowing the rioting of the stallion as he stands so silently.

Fortunately, he is not left to wallow for long—the Goddess, in all of her divine and beautiful glory, strips Torleik of his kingdom with hardly a shred of mercy. Rohan might have felt sorry for the fellow, but then he speaks. He chides Tembovu, chides them, and the Warlander bristles with indignation. You were NOT the only one suffering! He wants to roar, having contracted more than one disease himself. Hell—even Tembovu had suffered, but did he abandon his herd?

The Goddess speaks wisely, he thinks when she continues, returning to the black with a rebuking of her own. Of course, if Rohan knew anything of her cruelty, of her crimes, he might have felt different; but all he knows now is his agreement with her words, and the familiar, dastardly selfishness in Torleik that he had seen in his wretch of a father. Rohan scoffs—Tembovu is already a better King than Torleik had ever been (that Rohan had ever known), and in his prideful and ignorant indignation, the Warlander will not see himself under an iron-fisted fool again.

The Friesian’s departure is not missed by Rohan. He watches the older stallion retreat, too vain to try and grasp at understanding, too caught up in his own exasperation to try and see any other reasoning. As far as he is concerned, they are better off now. Looking back to Tembovu when the large stallion dismisses them, the Warlander flicks his tail before turning, vanishing into the mists—departing as unceremoniously as he had arrived.

notes; Just wanted to reply since everything happened! Didn't mean for it to be so long .___.
“Speech.”
AND I’LL JUST LET YOU FALL.
rohan
image credits
[Image: 57c5195f31f1b_by_relibelli-db9li1z.png]
please tag Rohan in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
[ The thread where Neo actually switched tables several times. :o ]

Of course, he could never hide from her. It would've been stupid to think it—stupid to even hope it, wish it, and likely, the intensity of his desire to remain unnoticed screamed louder than a siren in her mind. She could probably hear his thoughts, the whispers of denial, the way he wished for her to not look his way. What kind of predator would she be, if she could not pick out the weakest in a group? What kind of murderer would she be, if she was not merciless enough to act upon it?

But he had hoped for mercy.

And he would get none.

I would speak with you. After all ... this. It was a mind-voice he had rarely heard before, if ever—sickeningly reminiscent of Irma's, but where hers was harsh and simply cold, this one was sweet, honey lacquer hiding the taste of poison. A shiver trailed down his spine, a rattle shook his darkness: the owls were staring at her. She hadn't looked their way.

And yet, she had known he was there. "Oh gods," he groaned into Naerys' poll, her hair smothering most of his voice. Was this her wicked way of playing cat-and-mouse with him? Or did she genuinely want something from him? But what? For his words to climb dangerously close to treachery, so that she could smite him, and force him, too, from his place in this realm? He was tired of being afraid, but he feared her, because she had the keys to the dark chasm of his grief—and he did not trust her not to pull every ounce of pain she could from it. The last thing he wanted to feel again was his heart being torn out.

But aside from that sickly sweet promise, she was content to ignore him, her attention pulled by Torleik and his attempts to simultaneously defend himself and leave a few remarks for them to remember, and the few other voices that chimed in. And Mauja, he wasn't at all sure what was going on; why was he so upset? Why as he blaming them? Why was he trying to crush their futures, for choosing to remain beneath this hellhound of a deity? Mauja had not returned to the Edge out of a love for her, no; he would gladly live away from her wicked influence and sinister schemes. He always returned to the Edge for what it was to him—home. The fog, the evergreens, the white cliffs and their dead-drop into the sea.. that was home to him. He did not share it now with those he had shared it with before. Things changed, but the land still remained his sanctuary.

"Torleik..." he whispered, eyelids blinking to clear his blue eyes of tears, and his head came up slightly to watch the black stallion as he, rather peacefully, raged. He called it a coup, and the all too familiar feeling of something's wrong, what is he talking about, what have I missed bubbled up along with a cold, dread weight in his belly. A coup? Had there been one? And his gaze switched to Tembovu, who watched so stonily, so coldly (—and he feared that, too).

Perhaps he had been wrong. Perhaps he had been wrong about everything.

And then, Torleik left, followed by the soft sigh of his fallen white queen. He asked for discussion and debate, yet left them to trade their words without him—he asked for discussion and debate, but if he had been missing, how were they supposed to have found him? Unsure of what had happened, of who had dethroned who and why, Mauja closed his eyes again. Tembovu called the meeting to a close, which did nothing for the pit of vipers crawling in his gut. After all, he had not known Tembovu for long—Mauja had seen the shadows in his eyes when he had burned him, but knew not from where they came. He had come out of the ashes of an empire, out of a place in ruins.. but what had ruined it?

You know it isn't easy, he told himself, trying to justify the hardness he had seen in the large stallion's eyes. To lead. To guide. To stand there and make the difficult decisions and bear the weight of your actions and their consequences. It isn't easy.

Mauja's sad eyes slipped open again, trailing through the gathering to the Moon Goddess. Is .. this .. over now? he thought into the silent ether between them.
Mauja
the white queen
image credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here